Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Whooping Crabs
Apr 13, 2010

Sorry for the derail but I fuckin love me some racoons

Spinster posted:

For just a few months after I left the Hotel I worked in a lovely little bar in a La Quinta (A previous Food and Beverage Director ran it and offered me the job, ok, I'll try it.)
The other main bartender was a previously gorgeous banquet bartender from the Hotel, I was still pretty ignorant about meth, but learned right away that's what had taken all of her top teeth but the 4 right in front. I knew she was on the way out and the bar would be mine; I would go in to open and she'd be at the bar, still playing the video Trivia game since she closed up the night before, so high she couldn't speak.

Anyhoo, just a month later or so I'm running it, it's late on like a Sunday and these two young guys come in, order 2 double Hennesseys in snifters and start playing a game of pool on our one table.There's a couple businessmen in a corner, them and me.

I notice two things right away. They are not speaking with each other and they both are dressed like thugs and UNBELIEVABLY both are wearing necklaces that have images of Pacino's Scarface face done in like a 3D lazer/changes with the light to a pile of coke or the word cocaine giant pendants. I could not believe how stupid it was.

As time went on, (they kept alternating who bought the rounds) I became more and more convinced I was serving 2 rival thug punk coke dealers. They never spoke but to me and real softly. I knew 1) I was going to get a poo poo tip despite the giant tabs
2) I wanted them the gently caress out.

I killed them with cold professionalism, but yup, like $10 bucks total after they drank the bottle+. They didnt come back again, but I only worked there for 2 months. The pendants were the most ridiculous thing I've ever seen anyone wear, ever.

I tip $1 per drink. What's wrong with a $10 tip for what I assume are about 10 drinks?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spinderella
Jul 15, 2017

by FactsAreUseless

Whooping Crabs posted:

I tip $1 per drink. What's wrong with a $10 tip for what I assume are about 10 drinks?

They spent $200+ these drinks were ? I don't remember, $13 each. You're taxed on sales.

Harald
Jul 10, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Over There posted:

My coworker says she always picks up a bottle when she goes on a cruise. Can't find it anywhere else around here

I buy my Henny at Costco

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

If you're going to mix it with something just get schmirnof. That stuff is fine.

spinderella
Jul 15, 2017

by FactsAreUseless

spacetoaster posted:

If you're going to mix it with something just get schmirnof. That stuff is fine.

It's got a bite, get absolut on sale, much better. Or Stoli, even.

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

I like svedka

GORILLA BASTARD
Jun 20, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Blue Train posted:

Just drink sailor jerry

Sailors take it in the rear end. Just release The Kraken!

spinderella
Jul 15, 2017

by FactsAreUseless

Blue Train posted:

I like svedka

I quit drinking before I could try it. Oh well I'm better off. If I posted drunk I would BE VERY DIFFERENT.

Harald
Jul 10, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Spinster posted:

What if I like things with bite?

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Spinster posted:

I quit drinking before I could try it. Oh well I'm better off. If I posted drunk I would BE VERY DIFFERENT.

Aw now I'm curious

Whooping Crabs
Apr 13, 2010

Sorry for the derail but I fuckin love me some racoons

Spinster posted:

They spent $200+ these drinks were ? I don't remember, $13 each. You're taxed on sales.

Is the state assuming you are making a 20% gratuity on your sales? If so, I had no idea. I've always tipped 20%+ for food but only a buck for each drink at the bar. For some reason I thought bartenders and waitstaff were paid and taxed differently.
Course I'm usually ordering a beer and not a double scotch.

Velvet Elvis
Jul 1, 2007

just another posted:

9 times out of 10 "enjoying scotch" is just LARPing masculinity.

What is drinking Hennessy LARPing?

Hennessy is expensive garbage. Get a modest single-barrel bourbon instead. Evan Williams is an easy sipper for beginners.

spinderella
Jul 15, 2017

by FactsAreUseless

Whooping Crabs posted:

Is the state assuming you are making a 20% gratuity on your sales? If so, I had no idea. I've always tipped 20%+ for food but only a buck for each drink at the bar. For some reason I thought bartenders and waitstaff were paid and taxed differently.
Course I'm usually ordering a beer and not a double scotch.

I don't remember the percentage, it was Wa., but bartenders taxed like any other server for sure. A buck a beer or regular drink is great, no worries.

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Velvet Elvis posted:

Hennessy is expensive garbage. Get a modest single-barrel bourbon instead. Evan Williams is an easy sipper for beginners.

Brandy and bourbon are completely different

Velvet Elvis
Jul 1, 2007

GORILLA BASTARD posted:

Sailors take it in the rear end. Just release The Kraken!

Both of these rums are absolute garbage. Try El Dorado 12 for an entry-level sipping rum.

Velvet Elvis
Jul 1, 2007

Blue Train posted:

Brandy and bourbon are completely different

Correct. And bourbon is the superior spirit.

Velvet Elvis
Jul 1, 2007

Spinster posted:

Terrible vodkas. Belvedere or Chopin are far more palatable.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Spinster posted:

I've never noticed. :colbert:

Seriously, if the guy is mixing it why spend more money?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9MuiCZLSWgU

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Blue Train posted:

Just drink sailor jerry

I like the Sailor and will grab it if there's a significant price differential but in general I prefer Kraken.

e: but the expensive poo poo was really good. It's the only rum I've ever bought that I'd drink straight on purpose.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

OXBALLS DOT COM posted:

Looking to get some sherry, anyone got any good sherry recs?

I thought sherry was only for making chicken marinades and poo poo.

the black husserl
Feb 25, 2005

hennessy is an overmarketed ripoff and remy/courvasier are even loving worse, buy martell if you want a decent mass market cognac

if you want the real good poo poo you gotta shell out for boutique stuff that cost a lotta scrilla

Buccaneer
Jun 24, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
I recommend getting Newports with it and putting them both in the freezer if they have those in your country

Shaddak
Nov 13, 2011

For vodka I go with Reyka

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Spinster posted:

For just a few months after I left the Hotel I worked in a lovely little bar in a La Quinta (A previous Food and Beverage Director ran it and offered me the job, ok, I'll try it.)
The other main bartender was a previously gorgeous banquet bartender from the Hotel, I was still pretty ignorant about meth, but learned right away that's what had taken all of her top teeth but the 4 right in front. I knew she was on the way out and the bar would be mine; I would go in to open and she'd be at the bar, still playing the video Trivia game since she closed up the night before, so high she couldn't speak.

Anyhoo, just a month later or so I'm running it, it's late on like a Sunday and these two young guys come in, order 2 double Hennesseys in snifters and start playing a game of pool on our one table.There's a couple businessmen in a corner, them and me.

I notice two things right away. They are not speaking with each other and they both are dressed like thugs and UNBELIEVABLY both are wearing necklaces that have images of Pacino's Scarface face done in like a 3D lazer/changes with the light to a pile of coke or the word cocaine giant pendants. I could not believe how stupid it was.

As time went on, (they kept alternating who bought the rounds) I became more and more convinced I was serving 2 rival thug punk coke dealers. They never spoke but to me and real softly. I knew 1) I was going to get a poo poo tip despite the giant tabs
2) I wanted them the gently caress out.

I killed them with cold professionalism, but yup, like $10 bucks total after they drank the bottle+. They didnt come back again, but I only worked there for 2 months. The pendants were the most ridiculous thing I've ever seen anyone wear, ever.

Are all your bar stories from Vegas or also other places? I read some of your thread but not enough to know for sure or at least not enough to remember.

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

the black husserl posted:

hennessy is an overmarketed ripoff and remy/courvasier are even loving worse, buy martell if you want a decent mass market cognac

if you want the real good poo poo you gotta shell out for boutique stuff that cost a lotta scrilla

Remy is gross af

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

fishing with the fam posted:

Imagine that ad with the crying Native American but its instead a pirate or something.

Could that be a successful youtube channel? Aren't there people that buy new iphones or something and then blow them up with fireworks? I could buy a 500 dollar of whiskey and then use it to flambe a banana or something?

Here's the fancy rum bottle

spinderella
Jul 15, 2017

by FactsAreUseless

veiled boner fuel posted:

Are all your bar stories from Vegas or also other places? I read some of your thread but not enough to know for sure or at least not enough to remember.

None are in Vegas, I just played a lot of poker. I bartended in Pacific Northwest.

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Could that be a successful youtube channel? Aren't there people that buy new iphones or something and then blow them up with fireworks? I could buy a 500 dollar of whiskey and then use it to flambe a banana or something?

A YouTube channel of going for the first pour of an expensive bottle then dropping and breaking it on the ground

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Velvet Elvis posted:

Both of these rums are absolute garbage. Try El Dorado 12 for an entry-level sipping rum.

Yes, because that was what people were talking about. Sipping rums.

You dildo.

GORILLA BASTARD
Jun 20, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

That's a nice rum. If I could find it for under $100 I'd probably nab it but wouldn't share it.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Spinster posted:

None are in Vegas, I just played a lot of poker. I bartended in Pacific Northwest.

Ah, then I really didn't pay enough attention.

Regardless I appreciated the ones I read. I worked at a bar (club? idk, it had a large capacity) from the age of 21-24 or so and I was one of the relatively few full time employees so I did basically every job they had. It was really great in a lot of ways (the full timers really were a family) but also not so great in some ways. Anyway I'm just saying a lot of the stuff you posted resonated with me.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

GORILLA BASTARD posted:

That's a nice rum. If I could find it for under $100 I'd probably nab it but wouldn't share it.

I think I paid slightly over 100 at Total Wine but it was quite a while ago so I'm not totally sure. It is definitely tasty though.

Duke Pukem
Oct 23, 2010

Three cheers for dark beer!

Shaddak posted:

For vodka I go with Reyka

I just go with Russian Standard. Reyka is fine, though

E: as for entry level rum, I'd go with Mt Gay or Appleton. El Dorado 12 is good but not really entry level.

Duke Pukem fucked around with this message at 05:40 on Dec 12, 2017

Lena Dunham
Sep 19, 2017

E&J is the best brandy-type liquor for getting f*cked up on the low

scott zoloft
Dec 7, 2015

yeah same
try red stag

Mermaid Autopsy
Jun 9, 2001

the Cadillac of fine liquors

Beard Dandruff
May 10, 2017

Want to win a consultation with Tiffany? Click
here.

fishing with the fam posted:

I used to think rum was only supposed to be a part of mixed drinks. Then I had some kind of 20 year aged rum straight, and it was a holy poo poo moment. Tasted terrific.

Moral of the story: good booze tastes good.

Rum is the first thing I ever drank myself sick on. When I mustered up the courage to buy some more, the same drat thing happened. Never again, its just too drat sweet.

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

It's made from sugar

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

morally adept posted:

Rum is the first thing I ever drank myself sick on. When I mustered up the courage to buy some more, the same drat thing happened. Never again, its just too drat sweet.

You should try drinking less next time

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

just another
Oct 16, 2009

these dead towns that make the maps wrong now

Velvet Elvis posted:

Idk but I bet they wear a trilby or listen to three six mafia or both

• Locked thread