Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

:spooky: :drac: :spooky:

old thread: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3737765

Use this thread to talk about your wretched gambling addictions you scoundrels

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Womyn Capote
Jul 5, 2004

Wow holding on to Jones shares has been a wild ride today. Bought them at $.22 and thought I dropped the ball when they were up over $.40 this afternoon. What a thrill.

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

congrats to all the bigly winners

:rip: to all those who didn't make it

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008
Wooooo my hot tip didn't suck this time

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
i won 20 bucks lol

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

i made 200 bucks god bless u bama

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dgct3Jn8pFA

Alpha Mayo
Jan 15, 2007
hi how are you?
there was this racist piece of shit in your av so I fixed it
you're welcome
pay it forward~
realtalk I lost $2000 because I bought BERNIE YES to the Illinois primary election when he was 11 points behind and valued at 5 cents. He ended up losing by 2 points.

I had like a $1.20 left in the account after everything said and done and put it all into Jones. I now have $2.94. Just need 6 more miracles like tonight and I'll recoup my losses.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Alpha Mayo posted:

realtalk I lost $2000 because I bought BERNIE YES to the Illinois primary election when he was 11 points behind and valued at 5 cents. He ended up losing by 2 points.

I had like a $1.20 left in the account after everything said and done and put it all into Jones. I now have $2.94. Just need 6 more miracles like tonight and I'll recoup my losses.
holy poo poo. yeah i came out negative in 2016 but i'm on my way back, baby!

Alpha Mayo
Jan 15, 2007
hi how are you?
there was this racist piece of shit in your av so I fixed it
you're welcome
pay it forward~
Yeah my mind was like "this is basically a tossup once these counties report..and if I put $2000 in I might walk out with $40000, a life changing amount"

yeah didn't work out that way. i did learn to stay away from gambling though. Especially when my own emotions of BERN-GET were clouding me up.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Alpha Mayo posted:

Would have had some bitcoin-tier gains if you'd won that one, drat.

G-Hawk
Dec 15, 2003

i broke it

also i made around $3000

G-Hawk has issued a correction as of 12:05 on Dec 13, 2017

Arkane
Dec 19, 2006

by R. Guyovich
good to see more money come into PI for this election

bad that the site went to complete poo poo and prevented trading for much of the night

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Rex-Goliath posted:

Use this thread to talk about your wretched gambling addictions you scoundrels

thats really appealing phrasing, nice work

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
So now that Jones won how long do I wait til my shares convert to cash or do I have to sell them for a dollar to something? I've never won before

Arkane
Dec 19, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Nevvy Z posted:

So now that Jones won how long do I wait til my shares convert to cash or do I have to sell them for a dollar to something? I've never won before

They usually do it the night of or early the next morning, a bit bizarre they've waited this long

Misc
Sep 19, 2008

i still sometimes look back fondly on the easy money made in the biden run 2016 market. it has funded my poor decisions for the last two years.

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

Arkane posted:

They usually do it the night of or early the next morning, a bit bizarre they've waited this long

they might be holding off due to Moore being a dick about conceding the election. or more likely the state is still tallying final votes and hasn’t ‘officially’ declared yet.

Karl Barks
Jan 21, 1981

is this the bitcoin thread

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

since moore didnt concede its not really official until the state certifies the results some time between now and 3rd january

Womyn Capote
Jul 5, 2004

What's the take on INDMANDATE.ACA.2017?

IM DAY DAY IRL
Jul 11, 2003

Everything's fine.

Nothing to see here.
well, I sold off my MOORE.NOs for a little profit, congrats to those of you who stuck it out.

woke up this morning and saw that I'm getting shellacked in the CORP.TAXCUT.2017 market :shobon:

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

IM DAY DAY IRL posted:

woke up this morning and saw that I'm getting shellacked in the CORP.TAXCUT.2017 market :shobon:

what happened? the ‘in principal’ announcement?

IM DAY DAY IRL
Jul 11, 2003

Everything's fine.

Nothing to see here.

Rex-Goliath posted:

what happened? the ‘in principal’ announcement?

seems that way. I'm also genuinely curious if this is blowback from the MAGA crowd losing out on Moore and just dumping money into the next best "will daddy buy us a doggie" race.

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
What happened to the other thread? The past page apparently is broken? So weird.

I made like $80 on the Moore loss, so now I'm up like $150 on my initial $20 investment.

It would have been a cool $200 but I lost $50 on the tax vote :(

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

zdr did a thing a few months ago where he deleted all of his posts and it caused some threads to run off the rails. I figured they’d all been found and remade but this thread moves so slowly it took a while for us to notice that it was busted as well

Fuschia tude
Dec 26, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

Rex-Goliath posted:

zdr did a thing a few months ago where he deleted all of his posts and it caused some threads to run off the rails. I figured they’d all been found and remade but this thread moves so slowly it took a while for us to notice that it was busted as well

I believe it was an accidental corruption of his post table or something, not like he went "gently caress it :pt:"

IM DAY DAY IRL posted:

well, I sold off my MOORE.NOs for a little profit, congrats to those of you who stuck it out.

Ooh, that's a good one. Expecting that to be signed into law before New Year's, considering the legislative year ends a week sooner, seems incredibly optimistic.

So what else are people in now that Jones won and the Kelly/Priebus market finally resolved?

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Arkane posted:

good to see more money come into PI for this election

bad that the site went to complete poo poo and prevented trading for much of the night

yeah it sucked bad, the panic was real

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

might get some AMLO for the mexico prez election with my jones winnings

IM DAY DAY IRL
Jul 11, 2003

Everything's fine.

Nothing to see here.

Fuschia tude posted:

Ooh, that's a good one.

Yeah- I ended up doubling my shares when it was at 18c. It’s since gotten back to “normal,” 29c/25c buy/sell. With the new lower average share price in my portfolio I’m back in the black, now i just gotta decide if i place a sell order at a profit margin i like or wait it out.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
i don't try to play election night swings. i just go with my gut and :rolldice:

IM DAY DAY IRL
Jul 11, 2003

Everything's fine.

Nothing to see here.

IM DAY DAY IRL posted:

place a sell order at a profit margin i like or wait it out.

Rubio stating he's a no on tax reform unless concession is made for working poor tax credit spiked the buys. I'm regretting not spending time to ride the waves on this one cause boy howdy the last few days have been interesting.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
Write in Alabama special just went up, Saban yes is 49 cents. Not many available yet.

IM DAY DAY IRL
Jul 11, 2003

Everything's fine.

Nothing to see here.

Elephanthead posted:

Write in Alabama special just went up, Saban yes is 49 cents. Not many available yet.

was there any coordinated abstention-esque campaign for Saban? All I've seen was a few reports of people who wrote him in; not sure if this is just a case of 8 cameras pointed at the tipped over trashcan.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

BrutalistMcDonalds posted:

i won 20 bucks lol
:same:

Wish the market would resolve so I could throw some money at various "X by end of 2017" things though

bawfuls has issued a correction as of 20:41 on Dec 14, 2017

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

IM DAY DAY IRL posted:

was there any coordinated abstention-esque campaign for Saban? All I've seen was a few reports of people who wrote him in; not sure if this is just a case of 8 cameras pointed at the tipped over trashcan.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PRHVfIbeGpQ

life is a joke
Mar 7, 2016
idgi do i have to sell the shares i have to actually make a profit? Like I put 20 bucks on Paul Ryan losing WI-01 next year - i expected him to win but was thinking it would fluctuate because randy bryce is going to get a lot of attention, but now people are talking about ryan being ready to get out completely - "Will Paul Ryan be re-elected to Congress in 2018?" will automatically be a "no" if he doesnt seek reelection. Will each share be worth 99 cents?? Do I get that money if I don't sell at the right time, or do I have to make some sort of transaction.

You can probably tell something just isn't clicking with me about predictit lol, every time I try to do something I get an error and just keep changing numbers until it goes thru. I started with $30 and have made $40 profit so far tho, so I guess I've been lucky so far :shobon:

Also, I'm a dumbass and sold Jones winning alabama for almost nothing at like 830pm on the special election day, I was rushing to the airport and misread a tweet and thought he was losing badly but it was just a report about a single rural county or something. And I just did that thing I said where I clicked and changed numbers until it worked, and I think I ended up selling for a couple cents each right when they were tallying up the urban counties that were all going for him.

Also I bought 1cent shares for a Boston mayoral race that had already occurred lol

IM DAY DAY IRL
Jul 11, 2003

Everything's fine.

Nothing to see here.
here's my advice to your first rambling question;

it's typically better to purchase the negative*, as there are more ways in which that can come true. for Ryan to win WI-01 one thing has to happen; he gets the votes and victory is certified by the regulatory board. if anything else happens (he doesn't get the votes, he drops out of the race, he keels over from too many poppers at the "screw the poor (and me)" orgy) it resolves to NO and you walk away with a dollar for each share you hold.

if you sell before the issue resolves your profit is the amount you sold the shares for, minus the rake, minus the initial investment. that, plus the withdrawal fees associated with cashing out, mean that you should shoot for a certain profit margin before offloading otherwise you may end up losing out in the end despite turning a "profit" on one transaction.

* there are a few instances in which the affirmative can be bought for a better price and would yield a better profit. rarely is that gap more than a cent or two but that could potentially be 10%-20% of your profit if you're buying a high-price share.

life is a joke
Mar 7, 2016
rambling on the internet is what I do, Also thanks ;)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IM DAY DAY IRL
Jul 11, 2003

Everything's fine.

Nothing to see here.
this CORP.TAXCUT train is a wild ride. that being said if you're still feeling good about them not being able to pass it through (even with Rubio back on board) NO shares are selling for 17c right now.

edit: make that 13c

IM DAY DAY IRL has issued a correction as of 21:24 on Dec 15, 2017

• Locked thread