Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
  • Locked thread
Platonicsolid
Nov 17, 2008




Cool: +3 | Hard 0 | Hot +1 | Sharp +1 | Weird -1

"Vasile!" I says, as I move across the Mess Hall quickly. I slide up and put an arm around his shoulder. Military formality has its uses - it's a weapon to wield, just never one that's felt comfortable in my hand. The camaraderie of equals fits far better. "Hoping you can help me with a small problem," I say, raising a hand in pre-emptive defense. "I'll make it worth your while. You were cleaning out some storage recently, yes? Any chance you found some coffee in there?" I say, a knowing tone in my voice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.





Cool+1 | Hard=0 | Hot+1 | Sharp-1 | Weird+2
Harm: 0:00 | 1-armor | 4-barter | 1/5 XP

I see it all: the whole base, every tiny outpost, every hallway connecting every outpost, every pipe running in every hallway. The jungles, the oceans, the hills and the valleys. Every single living human soul... and every single bug. We are surrounded, worse than anybody here could possibly believe. Some of my followers might still be hoping for evac, but now I know, that evac is never coming. We're doomed, unless we act now.

I let go of Isaiah and break the psychic connection. My cultists look dazed and confused, but it is what it is. Immediately I know that if we are to hold, if we are to survive, we must claim Central for ourselves. Only the combination of the best military tech we have and my own powers can possibly give us the intel on enemy movements to survive. They've never followed me when I've left before, but times have to change.

I look at Isaiah, and then at the rest of the followers. "Gather your weapons and whatever you need to survive," I shout. "We're going to war!"

Shogeton
Apr 26, 2007

"Little by little the old world crumbled, and not once did the king imagine that some of the pieces might fall on him"


Cool: 0 Hard: +1 Hot: +2 Sharp: +1 Weird -1
XP: 2

I stiffen slightly as I get the arm around my shoulder. In usual circumstances, an officer trying to be so friendly can mean trouble, but then, discipline is kind of slipping so...

Oh, no,she's definitely trying to get something done.

"We keep pretty close track of our coffee supply, Lieutenant." I say, casually putting in her title. "Can't say we lost any to find. Can't really trust this soil to properly keep growing it, so we're keeping the vaccuum packed stuff for when we get a poo poo harvest. I can definitely get you a cup of coffee though."

Just going to no-sell that attempt at bribery there. Every soldier is entitled to his cup of Joe as long as we can manage.

Mr. Prokosch
Feb 14, 2012

Behold My Magnificence!




Petrescu & Casino

Keep doing your thing. Though there is some tension in the room after Jake blows off the hopeful patrons, and Reine has gone back to a thousand hard stare in the vague direction of your "Do the right thing, report military code violations!" poster.

Reine

You focus on this feeling in your mind... What's weird about it is just how much more human it is than anything else you've felt poking around in your head. The other beings are merely confused by this new presence, but you're human enough to recognize what's wrong with the new hive mind sorting through your memories, it's a human imposter! It could expose you! It's own mind is protected from you, whoever this is they are powerful and trained in mental combat. That alone reveals something, you only know one psychic. If she's paying attention, she knows what happened to you now.

What do you do?

Jake

You sneak out of the cafe after trying to be as unobtrusive as possible. You get out of there without anyone bothering you, but you can see their frustration. Once you get to the garage and find Mtumbe he laughs and smacks you on the shoulder. You don't feel that, but he does. As he shakes the pain out of his hand he gestures for you to follow him, "we're actually just scrambling for the Major. But I have a big worry before that. The Major is very angry this morning, for good reason but it is not so good for the next man who makes a mistake. And... I'm missing Crazy Ivan and Tex. They left with Jen last night. To go to Been's I thought, but no word from there. This is troubling me."

What do you do?

Profit

Been grins, "same thing I said to your boys. I don't need your stuff, I need labor. Nothing to gently caress with your operations, just on your downtime I'd appreciate you sending some Shrikes down here for odd jobs to pay off their debts"

He wants what he says he wants, but there's more meaning beneath the surface. He doesn't need more workers, he needs an endorsement. There's a difference between a couple of Shrikes doing a job or two for some pussy and the Shrikes as a unit working for Been. You are both respected and feared on the base, if people think the Shrikes are with Been that gives him a lot of power.

What do you do?

Sideways

You focus on the perimeter. First impression? It's great. Small, manageable group of bugs near the line. But you can sense their motivation: curiosity. And as you zoom out a bit, you see a sea of bugs, way too many. If they rushed the defenses now? Firebase Anvil is already loving dead. Except... They're waiting. You aren't even a threat anymore, so they don't need to push things. They'd rather have a few scouts watch and poke you and figure out what makes you tick. Now, Zee is calling for war.

What do you do?

Zee

So, you looked at something scary. I'm going to guess you dove right into the Queen Hive? If so, you uncovered that the creatures are linked by a hive mind, which was helpful for getting so much intel but also very scary. You also found that there is a dense ecosystem of prey, predator, and symbiotic species on this planet that were all eventually conquered by a single, powerful, psychic species that infects the rest. That's the species humanity pissed off, and that's why the planet seemed fine-ish and then became super hell zone. There is a weakness in that though, if you strike at the central hives you could actually hurt it.

Your congregation is made of soldiers, but mostly not soldiers you know what I mean? Like these aren't the loving Shrikes. But they each saw their own scary thing and they're ready to go if Mother Zee is.

What do you do?

Platonicsolid
Nov 17, 2008




Cool: +3 | Hard 0 | Hot +1 | Sharp +1 | Weird -1

Nobody ever said this would be easy. Have to respect Petrescu, honestly, for trying to hold it all together in the face of the coming madness. "Betting you the grunts around here would be willing to trade it for some genuine groundside bourbon, eh?" I lean in. "I'm trying to keep the peace, just like you. Have to do things I might not want to to do that. Only way we're going to get out alive." I pause. "And I'll owe you a favor."

SidekickBOT - Today at 6:07 PM
@Casino (Platonicsolid): 2d6+1 Convince Vasile to make the trade (Manipulate) = (5+1)+1 = 7

Shogeton
Apr 26, 2007

"Little by little the old world crumbled, and not once did the king imagine that some of the pieces might fall on him"


Cool: 0 Hard: +1 Hot: +2 Sharp: +1 Weird -1
XP: 2

"As far I'm concerned, we'll save our celebratory drink until we're out of a war zone, lieutenant. This place doesn't offer booze, and it's not gonna start." As she leans in, he scowls. "I know who makes booze in this place, Lieutenant. If he threatens you, you have my gun backing you. But that man and his creatures is as much an enemy to this army as the bugs out there, and I ain't giving them coffee either."

Refusing, I think normally you'd have to declare first whether you're promising xp if I agree or threaten to take a highlight if I refuse, but this was gonna be a refusal anyway.

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

MY PAPER SOLDIERS
FORM A WALL
FIVE PACES THICK AND
TWICE AS TALL



Cool+1 Hard+2 Hot=0 Sharp+1 Weird-1 | 0:00 Harm | 2-Armor | XP ●●○○○» | 0-Barter
RLS-4B Dagger Speed+1 Handling=0 Massive=0 0-armor | Shrikes 3-harm gang medium savage 1-armor


I'm doing a slow burn, and trying to clamp down on it as I consider Been's words. The prick thinks he can have me running errands for him.

"It seems to me, Captain, that what would be best for my operational tempo is if this firebase had a functional supply chain," I say, too calmly, taking a step closer. "And that there'd be a lot fewer of these debts for us to worry about too."

"So here's what's going to happen. I'm taking those uniforms back. When I need supplies, I come to you, and you give me supplies. And I don't decide to burn your pissant little kingdom down and use your balls for bug bait on my next hive-clearing op."

"How's that sound, Captain Been?"

@Profit (Comrade Gorbash): 2d6+2 Go Aggro = (6+1)+2 = 9

Platonicsolid
Nov 17, 2008




Cool: +3 | Hard 0 | Hot +1 | Sharp +1 | Weird -1

Deep breath. "I'll drink to that, Sergeant. I understand you. No hard feelings," I say, giving Vasile a clap on the shoulder. Perhaps some hard feelings, as this isn't going to make my life any easier. Not like he's trying to straight up screw me, though.

Vasile isn't looking so Hot right about now.

What the gently caress to do now, though? Option one, steal coffee and give it to Been. Doable, and Vasile will know who did it, although might not go after me for it. Option two, tell Been it can't be done and take my lumps. Option three? Defuse? poo poo, that'd be risky. Hard to know who'll jump which way. Option four, find that poo poo? If it exists.

Better find Been and at least scope him out.

Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

after a great meal i like to lie on the ground and feel like garbage




Cool +1 | Hard +2 | Hot -1 | Sharp +1 | Weird +2
Harm: 0:00 | Experience: ●●○○○» | 6-barter

gently caress. I mean, seriously, gently caress. You're drat right I know the only weirdo psychic around these parts: Zee. I don't truck with her bullshit cult, I don't even like being in the same room as her, and... she probably knows. I mean, yeah, Alboah and Profit might suspect. But she might know. Alright, alright. Deep breath. Time to figure this poo poo out. It's no secret that Sarge doesn't like her. Hell, he doesn't even call her Zee. He's always done right by me, might be time to see if he'd be willing to help me out if she starts making a move. And, hm, maybe Profit. Sounds like a bunch of poo poo's going down all over base. The Shrikes have muscle and she knows I'm good to have around.

Shaking my head and pulling to my feet, trying to chase away the last of that drat headache away, I walk over to the Sargeant as Casino clears out and say, "Hey, Sarge, can I get some advice?"

PoultryGeist
Feb 26, 2013

Crystals?

PFC Sideways Thompson

Yessss, Central. With that, we could link back up with Alpha and push back any scouts or other threats. I rush Momma Zee, euphoric smile on my face, and press Lyft's starter into her hand. "My transport is outside, you can take it for the rest of the Children. I'll run back and grab Thumper, he'll give us good firepower." I start to leave, but then turn back quickly and envelop Zee in a hug, whispering "mi do prami le mamta*" into her hair.

And then I'm off, running back to the motor pol with laughter in my throat and an urge to do violence in my heart.

*I love you mother

Shogeton
Apr 26, 2007

"Little by little the old world crumbled, and not once did the king imagine that some of the pieces might fall on him"


Cool: 0 Hard: +1 Hot: +2 Sharp: +1 Weird -1
XP: 2

Didn't take me up on it. I guess I can see why. Getting into fighting with Been in earnest would leave a lot of us dead. But leaving him alive is just watching that poison run through my corps. Part of me is hoping he'll just run out of drugs at some point, and his whole, rotten edifice will come tumbling down, and the rest of us can try to build something. Still, he's likely to try to drag the rest of us down with him.

I sigh, when Specialist Reine comes in. There's a sigh for sore eyes. I quietly chide myself for that kind of thinking. She's a good worker, and our fridges wouldn't be working half as good without her. "Specialist. First advice is to eat more, because you don't wanna get sick in this place, but I imagine that's not what you're talking about."

You get that sometimes. When supplies are tight, people that get really self-conscious about using them up. Trying to compensate for others. Commendable spirit, but you end up loving yourself up.

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.





Cool+1 | Hard=0 | Hot+1 | Sharp-1 | Weird+2
Harm: 0:00 | 1-armor | 4-barter | 1/5 XP


I wait a few minutes for my cult to gather around me. No weapons for me--was never trained, for obvious reasons--but we've got rifles and knives and poo poo galore, whatever we need to gently caress poo poo up if we need to. Not a big group, and not the meanest group, but we should be just fine. After all, how many other of the factions on this shithole rock have the power of a psychic god on their side?

Isaiah hands me a map, and I begin marking the plan on it. We'll take the maintenance tunnels through to Central, hoping to god that they're not overrun by bugs. From there we can climb up the primary tower at Central and hopefully manage to claim the computing center of the whole operation, giving us the knowledge we need to continue the fight from there.

"Suit up," I bark at my cultists. "It's time to get loving messy."

Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

after a great meal i like to lie on the ground and feel like garbage




Cool +1 | Hard +2 | Hot -1 | Sharp +1 | Weird +2
Harm: 0:00 | Experience: ●●○○○» | 6-barter

Yep, there's that classic Sarge experience. I'll... probably have to eat something. That's fine. I think that's fine anyways. It doesn't taste quite right, not since the change, and it doesn't scratch that same itch. How long has it even been...? Days? A week, maybe? I can't remember the last time I've felt hunger. Not when the reactor is so bright, so brilliant, so incandescent. poo poo. Now I just want to go drain some more juice. Remember the plan, Reine, gotta get Sarge on-board in case Zee goes full bug-nuts crazy.

I offer him a half-smile as I rub the back of my neck a bit, "Aw, thanks, Sarge. Maybe I'll stick around for lunch, 'specially if you'll whip me up a little something-something. But, uh, yeah... I wanted to ask you about something a little different. You know Z-78... whatever the rest of her handle is? I think she's up to some weird poo poo. Weird brain poo poo. I'm worried that, I don't know, she's gonna do something really dumb and get the bugs all riled up. I figure if anyone'd know what to do with that, it'd be you."

Shogeton
Apr 26, 2007

"Little by little the old world crumbled, and not once did the king imagine that some of the pieces might fall on him"



Cool: 0 Hard: +1 Hot: +2 Sharp: +1 Weird -1
XP: 2

"Right, lunch is getting made, so you just sit tight." He pondered her words. "Oh, the Intelligence fucks' little special project? loving hell, ain't that just Intel, the one time you'd like them to manage to survive and not get killed so they can keep their eh... special asset on a leash, they get themselves killed. Would feel a lot better having some of those around to keep an eye on that one. Be glad to return that one to some handlers. Hm, you ain't wrong. I dind't talk to her myself lately. Don't like her much, but she's not with Been, so she is allowed to eat here, even if she ain't a proper soldier. Might be someone knows something. Gimme a sec."

He went into the kitchen, where Muarice was busy cooking up something. "Hey Maurice, you got something about what Z-78b-X is doing these days?"

@Sgt. Vasile Petrescu (Shogeton): 2d6+2 everyone eats even that guy = (2+2)+2 = 6 I get 1 question, but Zee will hear of it. I'll go for How are they Doing? What's up with them?

Mr. Prokosch
Feb 14, 2012

Behold My Magnificence!


Profit

There is a lot of tension in this room. Guards twitch with hands on triggers, sweat pours down, eyes shift. They're wondering if you can carry out this threat. Wondering if they shouldn't gun you down where you stand, if you can draw faster than they can pull. No matter what, this would turn into a shitshow of an engagement for everyone involved.

Been slowly stands up. Then, he gives you a wide, toothy smile, like the poo poo platter you just served was a Christmas present. "Yes sir", a perfect salute, ramrod straight, "this base is in absolutely slip-shod shape and I'm happy you've decided to fix things major. Any requisitions request will be fulfilled to our best capabilities."

What do you do?

Petrescu and Reine

Maurice thinks for a second, "I don't know, but I know who would know. Etsy's girl Rosa has a thing for that freak." He heads out and has an answer by the time lunch is cleaned up. He rushes in, huffing, "Hooooleeeey poo poo! The whole group is going to loving war. Arming up with whatever they can find. She's shouting about taking Central. Central, like central loving command! Etsy's over there begging his girl not to do something hosed but she's all zombied out or something, I think the freak hollowed out her brain! What the gently caress do we do?"

What do you do?

Sideways and Zee

Zee breaks the map pretty quick to prep her people, but you both get a quick look at Central. It looks... complicated. Clusters of human allies and enemy targets.

Zee's plan is good enough for government work and you got a snapshot of intel but Central wasn't your first pick so no more freebies. You can read a sitch if you want some insight before going in.

Your people are preparing as well as they can with what they have. They could use more arms, armor, vehicles, intel, logistics, what the gently caress ever. Any final preparations or are you rolling on Central Command without any more preamble?

Also, Etsy, who is not a Friend, is trying his damndest to drag Rosa out of this. Looks like a few people overheard and are probably running back to Petrescu to tattle.

What do you do?

Casino

You want to hook up with Been right? Some initial scoping says he's in a big meeting with Profit. Tensions are loving high with the boys outside.

What do you do?

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009


MAGE CURES PLOT


harm 0:00 hunger 3:00 | XP 0/5
Armor systems// armor 2 damage 0:00 charge 3:00 ammo 0:00


When you're sealed up in about 275 kilos of ceramite, kevlon, vac seals, and mechanized exoskeleton, small things like 'body language' go right out the fuckin airlock.
All MI have developed a sort of unofficial pidgin sign language we use with each other and inevitably any other branches that work with us end up picking up on it. Mtumbe was obviously one of those soldiers. I hold up a gauntleted hand and waggle it slightly (like an 'ehh' or so-so gesture) the MI version of a shrug, followed by swiping two fingers across my blank faceplate in a rough sign for 'smile'

"Sir, am I to take your meaning that you may need an exfiltration of friendly units from potentially hostile territory?"
combined with the hand signals, he should pick up that I'm being (respectfully) sarcastic.
"I take it that's where the Major is right now? I can definitely give her some backup, not that she'd need it. Of course."

With that I sketch a quick salute and head towards Been's little clubhouse.
I've been through too much and seen even more in this war to be some fresh out of boot high MOTO 'Oorah I love the Corps!" rear end-kisser, but even I can see shades of every ain't-poo poo Pusher I ever knew in my old neighborhood in Been. I always hated those kinds of bullies and manipulators, and frankly, if it comes down to a heavily armored rear end-kicking, I will absolutely not lose any sleep over capping a piece of poo poo like that.

I glance at my ammo counter, 100%. Green. Yup, there's bullets in it. Good.
Charge Up 9
Mark 1 Charge segment

Error 404 fucked around with this message at Dec 28, 2017 around 19:24

Platonicsolid
Nov 17, 2008




Cool: +3 | Hard 0 | Hot +1 | Sharp +1 | Weird -1

A few asks here and there tell me Been's in with Profit. loving wonderful, no way that will be good for anybody.

I'm on my to Been's love shack, when I see a power suit headed the same way. "Aboah," I say, unholstering my pistol and bouncing my eyebrows at him. "You here to deal with Been too?"

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009


MAGE CURES PLOT


harm 0:00 hunger 3:00 | XP 0/5
Armor systems// armor 2 damage 0:00 charge 3:00 ammo 0:00


I don't even consciously register it when my HUD tags the gun in Casino's hand, faint arcs and angle guides flow across my vision as the targeting systems tell me the most efficient way to disarm her should I decide to do so. So helpful, my Armor...

I stop a few feet away, salute, and do a quick two-finger face swipe of a 'smile'
"Yeah, I checked in on the Shrikes to see if they wanted some company, and Mtumbe told me about a missing Shrike and mentioned the Major was here. So, I figured I'd see what I can do to help. You?"

Error 404 fucked around with this message at Dec 28, 2017 around 20:25

Platonicsolid
Nov 17, 2008




Cool: +3 | Hard 0 | Hot +1 | Sharp +1 | Weird -1

gently caress, what was my plan? With the solid feel of the gun in my hand, just offing Been never looked more appealing. Get him what he deserves, deal with the consequences later. It's so appealing...

... "Untag me," I say, waving my free hand towards the sensor cluster on Aboah's suit. "I ever want to kill you, you won't see me doing it." I pause a beat. Back up. "Missing Shrike?" Hadn't heard that scuttlebutt, although it explains a fair bit of the mood about camp.

"Helping," I say, and go up to the barracks door, leaning in to listen.

Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

after a great meal i like to lie on the ground and feel like garbage




Cool +1 | Hard +2 | Hot -1 | Sharp +1 | Weird +2
Harm: 0:00 | Experience: ●●○○○» | 6-barter

Well, poo poo. If that's not some dumb crazy poo poo that's going to rile up the bugs, I don't know what is. I mean, poo poo! I'm riled. I'm riled and... god, I don't even know. Should I just loving ace her? I bet I could. I bet that all it would take is just a small cut, let all that psychic bullshit splash out onto the ground. But... it's risky. I'm still alone, mysterious new friends aside, and I'd feel a hell of a lot better if it wasn't looking to be me and maybe the Sarge and his crew against all of her culty friends. Can I afford to wait, though? She's sounding like she's on the march now.

I say, "Sarge, we gotta do something! Who knows what she'll FUBAR if she goes in hard on Central. We might need some of that stuff if we're going to hold out, you know?"

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009


MAGE CURES PLOT


harm 0:00 hunger 3:00 | XP 1/5
Armor systems// armor 2 damage 0:00 charge 3:00 ammo 0:00


Oh. A blink and the CQB reticle fades from my HUD.
"Sorry, A lot of this shi-uh...stuff gets to be automatic. No threat intended ma'am."

I follow her lead, as she listens at the door, I send a quick thought-command through the suit, I visualize the SARGe in my hands, and hold up my arms in the correct position.
The support arm holding the oversized rifle obediently levers forward under my right armpit and my hands close around the grips. The green light on the ammo counter goes amber, safety off, weapon hot.

gently caress it, this situation's pretty drat charged as it is...
A couple more commands and I'm toggling vision modes and fine tuning sensor feeds, trying to get my own read on what's going on in the next room and, more generally, what's going on in the whole area.

Read a Sitch 7 +xp
What should I be on the lookout for?

Mr. Prokosch
Feb 14, 2012

Behold My Magnificence!


Casino and Aboah

You weren't particularly subtle approaching Been's hole. Casino was invited, so whatever. But Aboah? Rolling on someone in the death suit is an implied threat, especially when you weren't invited. Been has a gang. You combat scanners automatically tag them as allies, but when you override that the threat assessment isn't fantastic. When you whip out the chunky salsa mixer, you register a lock-on.

The ACHILLES-CLASS ANTI-VEHICLE WEAPON SYSTEM was yet another utterly pointless piece of over-designed bullshit designed to defeat an enemy that hasn't existed for decades at least. There were twelve gathering dust on base, but Been's boys have one and it's trained on you in case you start gunning people down during their meeting.

Shogeton
Apr 26, 2007

"Little by little the old world crumbled, and not once did the king imagine that some of the pieces might fall on him"


Cool: 0 Hard: +1 Hot: +2 Sharp: +1 Weird -1
XP: 2

I'd been actually helping with getting everything ready for the lunch when the news enters. "The hell? Some loving lab-project civvie intel brought in thinks she's gonna actually lead soldiers? What the hell are those people thinking!" I put the spoon down. Today really is a loving mess isn't it? Alright, I take off the apron. "Corporal Katembo. Take care of lunch, try to get everyone eating quick, we might need to go establish some goddamn discipline in just a bit. I'm gonna talk to the LT. Specialist, you're with me."

Reason? With Been clearly aiming at my coffee, I'm not planning on stepping out on my own today. Not watching to see if she follows, I make my way to where Lt. Mattu is busy taking reports from all the patrols. I run over there and salute. "Lieutenant Mattu, sir." I say. "We've got reports that Z-78b-X is riling up soldiers for a renegade op towards central command, sir. Permission to take available soldiers and halt this unauthorized attack."

Mr. Prokosch
Feb 14, 2012

Behold My Magnificence!


Petrescu

"What the gently caress. What... The... gently caress." LT. Mattu rubs his temples, "I think I'm gonna be sick. We're in loving logistics, we keep the soldiers alive. What do we do when there's a freak revolution on base? Gather who you can and get them ready to intercept. See if you can get the Shrikes in on this, they're the most cohesive unit we have and these fuckers will back down with that kind of fighting force in the way. I'm going to go talk with them, see if we can work out what their problem is. I know you don't like those guys Petrescu, I don't either. But we need to keep the peace and protect our fellow humans. All of them. The bugs are the enemy, not assholes with cabin fever. Just keep the peace. One day at a time."

Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

after a great meal i like to lie on the ground and feel like garbage




Cool +1 | Hard +2 | Hot -1 | Sharp +1 | Weird +2
Harm: 0:00 | Experience: ●●○○○» | 6-barter

I'm right on the Sarge's heel and even manage a pretty solid salute when we run into the LT. I'm content to let the Sarge make the case, he does have a way with words, but I'm sure my own part will come soon enough. I can feel the comfortable weight of my multitool in my pocket and god knows that thing can do a number on pretty much anything. When he mentions the Shrikes, though, that gives me some pause. Something Derek said earlier... barbarians stealing a leg or something? Might not be the ready sort of help he's expecting them to be. I nudge the Sarge and murmur, "I dunno about the Shrikes, but I have a pretty good idea of how to get through the facility. There's vents and stuff all over. Not the kind of thing you or your boys can get through, but I could. If you guys drew her rebels off, I bet I could do something about Z-78b-X. That should take the wind out of their sails."

Mr. Prokosch
Feb 14, 2012

Behold My Magnificence!


Reine and Petrescu

"Oh, oh Lord Jesus no. I really am going to be sick," Mattu just keeps shaking his head at the world, "I'm not sending our best engineer to assassinate our intel asset. Let's just, just loving talk to her. Bring a to-go cup of that coffee and have a goddamn sit down."

Shogeton
Apr 26, 2007

"Little by little the old world crumbled, and not once did the king imagine that some of the pieces might fall on him"


Cool: 0 Hard: +1 Hot: +2 Sharp: +1 Weird -1
XP: 2

"Of course sir. I'm doing this to try to keep 'em safe. Don't want them getting killed following some intel project into the jungle and never coming out again. But I figured they'd have an easier time ignoring one man than a larger unit." I kind of hesitate when he tells me to get Shrikes involved. But this is the LT, and he gave orders. "Sir, yes sir." I salute.

He runs in the direction of the Shrike's camp, beckoning Reine to follow. "At the Mess Hall, people are gonna be ready soon enough. Let's do a quick run by the Shrikes. And you hear the LT, whatever else she is, she's an intel asset. Best to keep her alive to hand over to the suits when all this is over, and let them figure out what to do with theirs mess. Way above a non-com's paygrade that kind of poo poo, Reine."

Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

after a great meal i like to lie on the ground and feel like garbage




Cool +1 | Hard +2 | Hot -1 | Sharp +1 | Weird +2
Harm: 0:00 | Experience: ●●○○○» | 6-barter

I follow him and say, "Alright, Sarge, if you say so. Just tryin' to be useful."

Of course, what I'm thinking is that she's the wrong kind of loose end to leave hanging. If Sarge goes soft and the Shrikes don't pull through, I'm gonna do what it takes. Obviously, I've got my own plans and interests past the company line and Sarge, well, he's a company man. Nothing wrong with that, but I don't think pick-up is coming. And if it does...? They're sure as hell not going to want to take me with. Better to get things sorted here, figure out a long-term juice solution, and see about making one of those shuttles. Aim for the stars and all that bullshit.

Tricky fucked around with this message at Jan 1, 2018 around 03:05

PoultryGeist
Feb 26, 2013

Crystals?


Hard =0 | Cool +2 | Hot +1 | Sharp +1 | Weird -1
Barter=4 | Harm=0:00 | XP ●○○○○»

I slide to a stop next to Lyft, Thumper’s drive protesting slightly at the sudden shift in momentum. A few folks in the Motor Pool tried to flag me down as I left, but my boys aren’t technically Army property so I really don’t need to sign them out. Especially when Momma Zee is in a hurry. I pop out of the driver’s compartment with my link-helmet askew and heave two boxes of 50-cal onto the cupola, didn’t have time to finish loading the gun.

Looking around I see Rosa, she knows her way around heavy weapons so I wave her over. When Etsy continues to extract her, I simply walk over and grab Etsy by the arm grabbing Rosa. “I’m sorry Etsy, but Rosa can’t play right now. I need her help to get Thumper ready, we’re going to have to move out soon.” I give Etsy my best smile, Momma always said you’d get more flies with honey than a dome breach.

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

MY PAPER SOLDIERS
FORM A WALL
FIVE PACES THICK AND
TWICE AS TALL



Cool+1 Hard+2 Hot=0 Sharp+1 Weird-1 | 0:00 Harm | 2-Armor | XP ●●○○○» | 0-Barter
RLS-4B Dagger Speed+1 Handling=0 Massive=0 0-armor | Shrikes 3-harm gang medium savage 1-armor


"Very good," I tell Been. Not that I buy for a second that he's rolled over for real. This is going to come to a head, but I've made it clear to Been what the stakes are. He can be my creature, or he can be hosed. I don't think he's smart enough to make the right choice, but he has a chance.

I nod to Dogman, who accepts the uniforms, then turn on my heel. "We'll speak more when I return, Captain." Walking back into the harsh sun of this forsaken poo poo hole of a planet is not high on my list of things to do, but staying in Been's half-assed Xanadu is even lower.

I'm not expecting to see Casino and Alboah, ready for war in his loving walking tank, waiting for me. "What the poo poo is this?"

Comrade Gorbash fucked around with this message at Jan 1, 2018 around 02:33

Mr. Prokosch
Feb 14, 2012

Behold My Magnificence!




Casino,

Let's loving move. Say what you want to Profit, but what's the plan with Been? You coming back empty handed? Looking to shoot things out? Make a new deal? Just walk away and hope he doesn't gently caress you?

What do you do?

Alboah

If you stand down Been's gang will think you were just back-up in case poo poo went south and all is cool. If not there are going to be some fireworks.

Either way, they now have their eyes on you since it looks like you were willing to gun them down like dogs for a favor when you ain't part of either unit.

What do you do?

Petrescu

It looks like the Shrikes are already mustering. They're ready to ride, but they don't know where. Most of the Shrikes don't pay you any mind at all. They like you, you give them food, but they don't respect you. The Major is out so Sgt. Frankie Smokes greets you with a handshake, "what can I do for you?"

What do you do?

Also, it sounds like you're looking to raise some troops besides the Shrikes. That's simple enough, you're putting out the word and what you're looking for is a Gang that would be willing to butt heads with Zee's followers. Roll it.

Sideways

You grab Etsy's arm and it's like an iron cord, he's not a big man but he's strong and a little tap isn't going to break that grip. He blinks at you, "WE? You're with that loving brain-whacking psycho? You're 'moving out' to get everyone killed in the loving jungle, going AWOL, and what else? What are you going to do at Central? Treason? Naw man, naw, gently caress this poo poo. Rosa ain't right in the head today but she'll pull out. That bitch Z-7 whatever crawled up inside you all with her hateful poo poo. She'll recover once she gets some sleep. So will you. So will you please loving give it a day before you do some stupid poo poo you don't mean." Rosa has nothing but poison in her eyes for this rear end in a top hat keeping her from doing right by Momma Zee but he's being real stubborn about this poo poo. You want to do something about this, do it.

What do you do?

Reine

So you have some plans, but how are you going to do that poo poo? You need juice, parts, workspace, privacy, maybe partners. You need a lot of poo poo but it's one step at a time. For now, let's think about Juice. Right now you're skimming off the top, but you need an indie power source if you're going to take it on a shuttle, and as a bonus if you get one early there won't be as many brown outs. You can't carry a Firebase reactor around with you though. Miniature self contained fusion reactors are rare, expensive, and almost exclusive to starships. Building your own would require know-how you don't have and rare materials that might not even be on this planet. But an image forms in your mind. Deep in the jungle there's a rotted out non-military building. You think what you need is there.

What do you do?

Shogeton
Apr 26, 2007

"Little by little the old world crumbled, and not once did the king imagine that some of the pieces might fall on him"


Cool: 0 Hard: +1 Hot: +2 Sharp: +1 Weird -1
XP: 2

Tsh, typical. Hoity toity shits eh? Hoping their major was gonna hold them on a shorter leash soon. Still, this wasn't the moment to start poo poo about the prosthetic. I shake the sergeant's hand. Whatever feelings I have about the Shrikes, well, that guy's a sergeant, and I like to think sergeant's know what's up.

"A request for assistance. Shouldn't be bloody if things go alright, but Intel's little labrat has convinced a bunch of soldiers to go and try to recapture Central Command. Lieutenant Mattu hopes that if we intercept them with a good amount of firepower, we can convince them to be good boys and girls and return home."


@Sgt. Vasile Petrescu (Shogeton): 2d6+2 finger in every pie = (6+4)+2 = 12 They show up in my establishment, like magic.

Mr. Prokosch
Feb 14, 2012

Behold My Magnificence!


Petrescu

Smokes shrugs, "well, I'll let the Major know when she gets back. We don't take orders from Mattu and we have orders to muster and wait, so she has plans and I don't see how they're getting involved with a bunch of fevered assholes looking to get ate."

If you want some Shrikes to come with you then you'll need to manipulate them, or maybe threaten them, or wait for the Major.

PoultryGeist
Feb 26, 2013

Crystals?


Hard =0 | Cool +2 | Hot +1 | Sharp +1 | Weird -1
Barter=4 | Harm=0:00 | XP ●○○○○»

The smile freezes on my face as Etsy unleashes his torrent of… rudeness. Using his rock of an arm as a pivot, I spin under until I am between him and Rosa, right up in his face. The smile cracks slightly as my eyes bore holes into his. “Rosa and I have work to do and you are being quite rude. Now go away before I have to gently caress. Your. Goddamned. Face.

SidekickBOT - Today at 9:33 PM
@PFC 'Sideways' Thompson (PG): 2d6+0 Going Aggro on Etsy w/fists = (4+2)+0 = 6

Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

after a great meal i like to lie on the ground and feel like garbage




Cool +1 | Hard +2 | Hot -1 | Sharp +1 | Weird +2
Harm: 0:00 | Experience: ●●●○○» | 6-barter

An abandoned outpost...? Yeah, that might work. A field station that one of the drop-troopers set up or something. The kind of Juice I'd get off that... Jesus, I'm drooling just thinking about it. I'd need a ride to get out there, something big enough to load whatever setup they had. Maybe a cargo hauler or something. Which means... Motor pool? Motor pool. I'm lost in thought enough that when I look up, Sarge booked it off somewhere else. Ah well. He's a tough guy, he can figure out Zee... and her cult... probably. Well, I hope he does anyways. Makes things a helluva lot easier for me.

I start picking my way back towards the motor pool, but I'm lost in thought. Now, I'm not too worried about the bugs between here and there. I think they like me. Haven't really put it to the test, but... Well, I'll burn that bridge when I need to. The more pertinent question is what's waiting at and around the outpost. Maybe the Mind knows. I just need to let myself go, relax, and ride it. I think I'm getting pretty good at this. What could go wrong?

quote:

SidekickBOT - Today at 5:53 PM
@Spc. Reine (Tricky): 2d6+2 More opening of brains = (2+1)+2 = 5

XP, at least!

Also thinking that this may be a good time for Reine's Other to take point. If so... what does she do?

Shogeton
Apr 26, 2007

"Little by little the old world crumbled, and not once did the king imagine that some of the pieces might fall on him"


Cool: 0 Hard: +1 Hot: +2 Sharp: +1 Weird -1
XP: 2

It's not unreasonable, and good to see he has a respect for the chain of command, but I've got folks that are walking to their deaths here. "That's true. It's a request, not an order. If you think the Major would want you to sit tight,, that's what you should do. But I always figured the Major to be a woman of action. Someone who steps in when what needs doing is obvious. Someone who would appreciate others not wasting time with thumbs up their asses for her to give them permission to take a piss. But you know your CO best."

Heck, that's not a lie, it's why I like the woman so much. But when some soldiers are going AWOL, and we're short on manpower and discipline anyway, this poo poo is serious business, and deserves some quick action.

Huh, where is Reine? Ah well, maybe she's a bit nervous about the Shrikes. Lots of that going on. She's support after all, not really combat line stuff. Shouldn't hold it against her.

@Sgt. Vasile Petrescu (Shogeton): 2d6+2 Manipulate sgt Smokes = (6+5)+2 = 13: He goes along with it

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009


MAGE CURES PLOT


harm 0:00 hunger 3:00 | XP 1/5
Armor systems// armor 2 damage 0:00 charge 3:00 ammo 0:00


In point of fact, I am there as backup in case poo poo goes south!

I snap to attention as the Major walks out, The support arm folds back up behind my back with SARGe in standard carrying position. Weapon light goes green on my HUD.

"Ma'am, Lance Corporal Aboah reporting, I checked in with Sarge Mtumbe about joining the Shrikes on patrol, I was informed that there was a missing Shrike and that you were here [I key my external speaker volume from normal to just above a whisper] I was also given the impression that you may have wanted backup if I could provide it, Ma'am."

The second the Major's withering gaze slides off my faceplate, I turn and regard Been's goons, one gauntleted hand holding a thumbs up. Hopefully they catch the meaning and turn off the drat scanner on that ACHILLES, the lock-tone from my HUD is starting to annoy me.

Like an A-V weapon was gonna scare me, I'm MI fuckos, I saw worse in BASIC.

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.





Cool+1 | Hard=0 | Hot+1 | Sharp-1 | Weird+2
Harm: 0:00 | 1-armor | 4-barter | 2/5 XP

Before I can say anything, Sideways is off again. One less gun, gently caress. I look at my group and start getting second doubts, but I know what can fix it. Same thing that can fix basically any problem on this rock: more loving guns. I pinpoint a small, practically closet-sized armory on the map. Maybe half a click south, probably won't even have to go outside. If we get lucky, won't even need to fight anyone, but I can't count on that. Word travels fast around here and I can't imagine anyone who hasn't already signed up is too thrilled about me consolidating more power. Guess I know what I gotta do. I stand up on a crate and face my crew, and, just a little, let my brain leak into the maelstrom.

"Brothers and sisters, we stand on the precipice of a new and glorious day. We need to stand together, or this will be the last day of this congregation and of all of our lives. You either stand with me now, or we all die here and now on this blasted rock. There is no turning back. It's time to march. We make for Armory 17c, just south of here. Heavier weapons, more ammo, everything we need. Let's loving roll, gang."

I close my brain, and we step out of the room, guns drawn.

Sidekick: @Zee (quiggy): 2d6+2 Frenzy = (4+2)+2 = 8. Spending my 1-hold immediately, to unite and fight as a gang (2-harm 0-armor small gang)
Highlighted stat, marking XP

Platonicsolid
Nov 17, 2008




Cool: +3 | Hard 0 | Hot +1 | Sharp +1 | Weird -1

What am I going to do? What did I plan to do? I've been fighting my instincts all morning.

"Been's blackmailing me," I say to Profit, keeping a side eye on the man in question, while my hand drifts to my pistol. "You know I'm Martian. You might suspect I was in the rebellion. What this shitstain's threatening to tell you is that I engineered the Pittstown Dome operation," I say, going tense. Somebody might decide to start firing just for that.

"Way I see it," I continue, "We're all on this rock together, and getting pissed at each other won't find missing Shrikes or keep us going until the next equipment drop."

Been a bit out of my groove, hoping to get back on track, sorry 'bout that.

Platonicsolid fucked around with this message at Jan 8, 2018 around 15:49

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Prokosch
Feb 14, 2012

Behold My Magnificence!




Reine

You are a glorious glowing green fungus clinging to a beautiful tree. You are a majestic spidercrab eating the delicious fungus of the forest. You are the powerful Zith'gra tearing into the spidercrab's shell and gorging on its innards. All selves are eternal under the Shared Mind and the Master Will of the All Changing Ones. They live inside this shell you call your body and are sustained by the Glorious Light. You are Chosen, Merged, filled to bursting with their essence, sustained by their grace. But the multitudes must live in the world of meat. They must feed on others to survive as they evolved to live. Shells are consumed while the Master Will lives on. You are not the enemy. You are not Other; Invader. You are protected if your Meat Brain serves. But you are being watched and you are not safe.

The Other considers its memories. Suspicion for some, plans for escape, and overall there is loyalty. It is pleased. Very pleased. The Meat is not always so submissive. Two suspect and this is not good. The "Zee," violator, it will be destroyed when the time is right but for now it surrounds itself with slaves and to kill it would mean killing all. It does not want to kill yet, it wants to learn. More minds, bright minds, yes.

It goes to the dark place that steals its food. There it finds the Jacob, playing with the stories he crafts with the Light. It is not good at speaking as the humans do, it still need the Meat Brain for such things. But there is no need for talking, only a gift of Light he is eager to receive.

You have sex with Jacob - give him a contamination move

The Other smells blood. Another chance for another mind. A watcher moves to stop it. It must kill or speak. Better to let the Meat speak first. It can kill if this fails.

You are in front of an office in Tacsim. Tacsim is mostly abandoned at this point as their job as "on-the-ground AI-driven decision-leaders" was just a new way for contractors to milk the military budget. You recognize Jenkins standing nervously outside the door. He frequents the mess. You can smell blood in the room behind him, someone wounded but alive.

What do you do?

Profit

Profit, how do you feel about Casino luring a division of Air Cav into a ground engagement by taking over a "colonial" school in Pittstown Dome and using the kids as human shields, and then blowing the whole thing, massacring a division and the child hostages?

No matter how you feel about it, I can tell you how Bish feels. Remember Bish? You brought her, she's been keeping quiet, watching your back. And now she's drawn her service pistol and has it pointed at Casino's head. You were a unit commander at the time and your unit had the rear, so you were the only survivors. Bish was there too, all bright eyed and bushy-tailed. She never got over her first love being blown to bits that day.

What do you do?

Casino

Shooting hasn't started yet, but you don't get through "Pittstown" before a Shrike has drawn on you. Been's gang is still watching from afar, though they've chilled out considerably once Alboah dropped the gun and put up the thumb. They seem to be entertained by this new development.

What do you do?

Aboah

The beeping stops. You're being watched, and then Casino drops something about a "Pittstown dome?" it was before your time, but the Shrikes draw on her and you're standing in the middle of it.

What do you do?

Sideways

Etsy is not in any state to back down. An uppercut puts you down and then a kick to the kidney keeps you there.

Take 1-harm

But, in the heat of the moment, Etsy forgot his SA. This fight was taking place near Zee's followers, and once you hit the ground Rosa screams and they come running. You're still winded and struggling to stand when he's tackled and the mob swarms over him. They beat him savagely and drag him away.

What do you do?

Zee

Your gang arms up, ready to fight, and you march towards the armory. Like the outlying power stations, the South Armory was overrun a while ago, back when the Line was a lot more optimistic. A lot of good stuff has been raided already, but you know there's still poo poo out there worth taking. People are watching, but no one has moved to stop an organized, armed, and determined group of soldiers just yet.

On the way, you spot Sideway's Tank and hear a scream. You've still got enough of a psychic link to know it's one of your followers. So does the gang, who rush off towards the noise. Soon, kneeling before you, is a bloody man. Rosa explains, "Etsy was trying to keep me from helping you because he's jealous, Mother! Sideways tried to talk sense to him but then he attacked her unprovoked! What should we do with him?"

Etsy's barely conscious but he's got enough strength left to spit blood at your feet. You think he's some kind of petty officer, something about maps?

What do you do?

Petrescu

Smokes looks torn, he glances back at a pair of Shrikes in worn out gear but turns back to you, "gently caress it. Odds are I'm gonna get torn a new rear end in a top hat about this but if I take the guys that are ready to go and get back within an hour I'm still within my orders. Favors a favor though, you owe me one." They give you a ride back to the mess where your boys have gathered a squad of fighters. They're good men, veterans. Reinforced with a unit of Shrikes this is a formidable fighting force.

You have a gang (3-harm 1-armor small).

What do you do?

  • Locked thread