Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
  • Post
  • Reply
Shogeton
Apr 26, 2007

"Little by little the old world crumbled, and not once did the king imagine that some of the pieces might fall on him"


Cool: 0 Hard: +1 Hot: +2 Sharp: +1 Weird -1
XP: 2

I smile as I see so many soldiers gathered together. We're still soldiers, we're still units, we still have discipline. Right now, I feel more certain than ever that we're gonna live through this. We're gonna beat this. We're gonna hold for reinforcements and we're gonna reclaim this loving planet and build beach resorts on these bugs' corpses. And first, we're gonna bring those people back. I quickly go inside, grab my shotgun and get out. "Alright people. We're gonna move quick here. Some friends from the Air-Cav got a pretty busy schedule today, so let's make this quick and clean. We're gonna intercept the soldiers that are following Z-78b-X into the jungle, and we're gonna convince them to do a 180 degrees. We're not there to kill folks if it can be avoided. So keep itchy fingers off triggers, alright? Maurice, where were they last? Let's go there, Shrikes, if you could do some air recon, we should be able to find these wayward souls pretty drat quick."

Shogeton fucked around with this message at Jan 9, 2018 around 02:43

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

MY PAPER SOLDIERS
FORM A WALL
FIVE PACES THICK AND
TWICE AS TALL



Cool+1 Hard+2 Hot=0 Sharp+1 Weird-1 | 0:00 Harm | 2-Armor | XP ●●○○○» | 0-Barter
RLS-4B Dagger Speed+1 Handling=0 Massive=0 0-armor | Shrikes 3-harm gang medium savage 1-armor


My hand clamps down on top of Bish's and push the pistol out of line. The headache I've been fighting off since I woke intensifies. This whole situation is hosed. Been, Casino killing Been, Casino, and now a missing Shrike. My desire to simply shoot her, then go back inside a shoot Been, is nearly overwhelming. But burning everything down, as satisfying as it would be, is probably not the angle here. Not yet.

I speak slowly, keeping hold of my temper. "Explain. Why I shouldn't kill you. Very carefully." My eyes shift to Aboah. "And you. Who's missing?"

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009


MAGE CURES PLOT


harm 0:00 hunger 3:00 | XP 1/5
Armor systems// armor 2 damage 0:00 charge 3:00 ammo 0:00


My answer is immediate.
"Crazy Ivan, Jen, and Tex never reported in according to Sergeant Mtumbe, I offered to make pickup ma'am, and also render assistance to you in case...things got ugly. Ma'am."

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.





Cool+1 | Hard=0 | Hot+1 | Sharp-1 | Weird+2
Harm: 0:00 | 1-armor | 4-barter | 2/5 XP

"Petty officer Etsy, right?" No response. "Alright well if Sideways thinks you're trouble then she's probably right, she understands what's at stake here. Wish the rest of you lot did."

I pause for a second while considering my options, then look up at my crew. We're small, and I bet other forces are moving already. Maybe Etsy knows something that could help us, but... no real time here. Fine. Time to take action. I stomp on Etsy's head, not hard enough to kill him but hard enough to knock him out cold. Sure suckering someone like this isn't noble, but what is nobility here anyway?

For a second I think about bringing Etsy with us, but that'll just slow us down and take one or two folks out of fighting shape too. Instead I motion for his body to be pushed into a corner, hopefully no one will find him for a bit. Without waiting for my followers, I continue on down towards the armory. We've got a job here.

quiggy fucked around with this message at Jan 9, 2018 around 17:49

Platonicsolid
Nov 17, 2008




Cool: +3 | Hard 0 | Hot +1 | Sharp +1 | Weird -1

Reflexes kick in and I've got my pistol half out of its holster before Profit shoves Bish's pistol out of the way.

"If you wanted to, you wouldn't have stopped Bish," I say. "You're not loving dumb enough to believe all the propaganda. It doesn't even make sense. Why would we kill our own kids? Ear..." I catch myself, "Occupiers? Our oppressors? drat right they were targets. We raided the garrison, we took their wepons, we mined the landing platform. We don't murder children, we're not like..." My voice is high, my face is red, my cool...is not doing so great.

Deep breath, Casey.

"It's over," I say, swinging my arms. "Deals signed. Friends now. Friends stuck on this god forsaken rock together because Brass is Brass wherever you go and they deal in 'acceptable losses'. Kind of expect something here to kill me. You want to be the one," I gesture between Bish and Profit, "at least do it yourself."

Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

after a great meal i like to lie on the ground and feel like garbage




Cool +1 | Hard +2 | Hot -1 | Sharp +1 | Weird +2
Harm: 0:00 | Experience: ●●●●○» | 6-barter

Jacob seems to have become Addicted to the Light.

My mind is awash with imagery and feeling, alien sights and thought and sounds that... they're hard to put in words. That was... that was pretty weird. Even for me. And, uh, judging by the way my uniform's not exactly at Sarge's grade of military precision, among other things, I seem to have been busy while I was otherwise occupied. That's fine. That's... that's fine. I need to focus on the here and now. So I guess it wants me at Tacsim, huh? There's blood... I wonder who it is. And why is one of Sarge's regulars standing guard at Tacsim anyways? God knows the place is a ghost house in the best of times.

I can see that Jenkins is pretty wired. I take a few steps back, hands where he can see him, and say, "Whoah, man, don't want any trouble. I'll keep walking."

I do just that, though I dip back around to the AC unit when I'm out of his field of view. Not like I'm about to give up on whatever — or whoever — is in there. It's a good enough way to get more people on my side whenever the gig is up and, well, I have a feeling that the Mind might take objection if I turn around and book it to the motor pool. Which, by the way, I'm still planning on doing. Just... in a bit. The AC vents are too small for anything worth mentioning to get in, but I'm not exactly working on human logic anymore. I take a deep breath, exhale, and slowly start working my way through the vents. It's tough, even for me. I'm not exactly a master at dislocating everything, y'know? Still... I think I'm going to make it.

quote:

SidekickBOT - Today at 11:27 AM
@Spc. Reine (Tricky): 2d6+1 Act Under Fire = (1+5)+1 = 7

There's a catch, but also another dot of XP!

Mr. Prokosch
Feb 14, 2012

Behold My Magnificence!


Casino, Profit, Alboah

Bish is not having any of that poo poo, "Why? Why? Because you're loving animals, that's why. Because a clayface would drown their own baby for a shot to kill an Earther. SOP if they took a garrison is bomb and straff, why the gently caress would we land for that? It was a rescue mission and Lulu died a hero!

Profit: You and Bish were "there" but you didn't see the poo poo go down. AO had a school, kids were definitely dead by the end of the day, but hostages weren't in your briefing at least. The commander made some kind of call in the field. But if the Martians didn't kill those kids then the Earthers did, and Bish is not amiable to that particular line of reasoning.

What do you do?

Zee (and maybe Sideways)

You leave Etsy and march south. Soon you're beyond the second Line. You spot the armory, but then you see movement beyond the building, just behind the second Line where the jungle becomes too dense to see. The trees are shaking.

The armory isn't far. It's a sturdy structure with arms and armor, and emplacements to lay down fire on the enemy. But, it would also leave your gang surrounded and outside the Base's protection. You might be able to make it back to the first Line. But can you trust whoever is on the heavy guns today to wait until you've crossed it before they open fire?

What do you do?

Petrescu

You and the crew head over to Zee's meeting place. It's not hard to see that they're ahead of you. They've taken whatever weapons they could and moved out. The Shrikes scout from the air and spot a body. He's been so brutalized you don't recognize him at first, but his dogtags say he's Etsy. You've seen him at the mess, a good man. This was his first tour, ROTC, he was in logistics, handled the maps from patrol reports. He answers directly to Major Huan. He's alive, for now. Looks like Zee's group marched south in a hurry after beating on him.

Reine

You slowly ooze down those vents, inch by inch. It loving sucks. There is still some meat on you, and crushing it down like that is painful. But once you've started you have to keep pushing through, even as the pipes narrow and you feel like your brain is being liquified.

Take 1-harm AP. If you try to go out again that way, take another.

Finally you're on the other end. You see a bearded man, he's in a Shrike uniform and he's been gutshot. Looks like someone has treated the wound, poorly. He's unconscious and feverish. Maybe he'll pull through, you're not a doctor, but it's more likely he'll just take a very long time to die... Unless he gets a blood donation. You're pretty sure a bit of you will get him back on his feet and part of the Hive Mind.

PoultryGeist
Feb 26, 2013

Crystals?


Hard =0 | Cool +2 | Hot +1 | Sharp +1 | Weird -1
Barter=4 | Harm=3:00 | XP ●○○○○»
gently caress, my head hurts
I spit another wad of bloody gunk over Thumper’s edge, trying to get my eyes to focus properly. I will admit seeing Etsy get curbed after laying me out was satisfying, but drat my ribs still hurt. And concentrating was a bit of an issue, I’m having trouble remembering why exactly we were out here. I mean Zee’s idea was a good one, gotta reinforce our position. But we didn’t have a mission briefing or anything. Did we?

Whatever, I’m out here now. Mine’s not to reason why, right? And things are going fairly smoothly, even managed to get Thumper’s gun fully loaded on the roll with Rosa’s help. But now we see our objective, and it looks like there’s company waiting for us in the treeline. Hmmmm. I queue up the local map on my Augmented Display, and trace a path arcing away from the armory and back towards the Line. I catch Zee’s attention.

“So I’m thinking Thumper here is our best bet for dealing with those tangos. I’ll rabbit them back towards fire support, give you enough time to do what needs done.” I pop back down and button the hatch, giving Rosa a cocksure grin. “I’m gonna need you to watch the board, and sing out if any of the indicators go red. Gonna be concentrating on this.”

Thumper tears off, eating up the distance. I hit the treeline and spin around, playing standard PsyOps audio. Once I’ve got their attention, I peel out along that arc, leading them away from Zee and the rest of the Children and into the Fire Zones.
SidekickBOT - Today at 6:17 PM
@PFC 'Sideways' Thompson (PG): 2d6+2 Sideways is the bug-bait = (3+4)+2 = 9
-You draw your prey all the way into the trap. Otherwise, they only approach.

Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

after a great meal i like to lie on the ground and feel like garbage




Cool +1 | Hard +2 | Hot -1 | Sharp +1 | Weird +2
Harm: 3:00 | Experience: ●●●●○» | 6-barter

Christ, let me tell you something. I've never had so much sympathy for toothpaste in my life. Still... I made it, I'm in, and there's a Shrike bleeding out on the floor. Don't know which one, I'm not exactly that tight with them, but... Well, I bet Profit would appreciate it if I got her boy back. Maybe a little different than he left, but poo poo. Death or getting in with me and mine? I know which one I think is better. He will too, once he gets better and walks on home. Still, whoever was patching him up did a poo poo-rear end job of it. I'm no doctor, but even I've seen my share of combat injuries. I catch a seat next to him, unhook the IV from the saline bag, and start giving him mainline access to the good stuff.

I squeeze my hand into a fist a few times, trying to speed up the flow from my arm to Beardo. I wonder how long this sort of thing takes...?

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.





Cool+1 | Hard=0 | Hot+1 | Sharp-1 | Weird+2
Harm: 0:00 | 1-armor | 4-barter | 2/5 XP

Y'know when Sideways said she wanted to draw fire I wasn't entirely certain what she meant, and then she went off in ... what does she call it, Hopper? ... drawing bugs and guns alike. Hope she makes it, wish the rest of this lot was as brave and devoted as she is.

Got an opening now though, clear path to the armory. Nobody's here to stop us. I motion to the group and take off across no-mans-land, barely checking to make sure the Children are behind me. If we can get inside safely we can loot this place for everything it's got and with a little luck move on to central from there. Gotta hope we don't get trapped out here though.

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

MY PAPER SOLDIERS
FORM A WALL
FIVE PACES THICK AND
TWICE AS TALL



Cool+1 Hard+2 Hot=0 Sharp+1 Weird-1 | 0:00 Harm | 2-Armor | XP ●●●○○» | 0-Barter
RLS-4B Dagger Speed+1 Handling=0 Massive=0 0-armor | Shrikes 3-harm gang medium savage 1-armor


This headache is just getting worse. Casino's dumped this bag of crap on my doorstep, and it's not even on the top of my poo poo-list for the day. "Stow that, Bish," I snap, getting in her face. "Goddamn right Lulu died a hero. But that op stank from the jump, and if this bitch knows something about it, I want to hear the rest. And we've got poo poo to deal with first. Get your head in the game, soldier, we're on mission time."

I look at Casino and Aboah. "This is what we're going to do. We're going to get the rest of the Shrikes, then we're going to find my missing people. And deal with whatever we find." Someone is gonna loving die today, for drat sure. Just haven't figured who yet.

By the time we get to Shrike country, I have a new candidate for that. "Where the gently caress is Alpha?" I demand of Mtumbe and Fang. Mtumbe manages a flat expression, but Fang's more of an open book. Chagrin, the urge to cover for a unit member, irritation at being called on someone else's gently caress up, worry. "Went with Petrescu," Mtumbe says simply.

"Went with Petrescu," I repeat. "I'm going to assume no one knows WHERE." I take a deep breath, before my head explodes. What I want to do is throw a loving screaming fit to get these idiots in line. Them and the brass who can't get their poo poo together and the fuckers like Been who won't do their jobs. Then take this unit out and find some enemies to loving destroy like this unit is supposed to.

And I stop because suddenly it's all so very clear. Not how to deal with today's ever growing list of bullshit, that's still a going to be a goddamn pain in the rear end. But why that list keeps growing. I think it through some, looking at it from different angles.

I notice Shrikes looking at me worriedly and realize I've been quiet for too long. "I blame myself," I say after a moment, which is clearly not what they expected. "I have not adapted to the realities on the ground, nor have I ensured this unit is properly utilized in those conditions. I have been fighting the war I wanted, instead of the one we're in. But that ends right the gently caress now."

"Everyone gear up. Operational footing. I want Echo flying support, and I want Quebec 1 in the air for observation. The rest with me. We're hooking up with Alpha and finding our missing people, then we're headed for ops. I am going to set this firebase right if I have to put my boot so far up someone's rear end they choke on my laces. Do not loving shoot anyone unless they shoot first or I order otherwise, but don't take any poo poo either. Now move."

"And someone find me that rear end in a top hat Petrescu, I want a word with him."

@Profit (Comrade Gorbash): 2d6+2 Pack Alpha = (5+5)+2 = 12
• They do what you want. (Otherwise, they refuse.)
• They don’t fight back over it. (Otherwise, they do fight back.)
• You don’t have to make an example of one of them. (Otherwise, you must.)

Comrade Gorbash fucked around with this message at Jan 11, 2018 around 02:50

Shogeton
Apr 26, 2007

"Little by little the old world crumbled, and not once did the king imagine that some of the pieces might fall on him"


Cool: 0 Hard: +1 Hot: +2 Sharp: +1 Weird -1
XP: 2

I curse. They sure hosed the guy up bad. But at least they didn't kill him. "Check to make sure he's not in any danger, after that, we need to move. Shrikes, if you'd continue to recon for us."

Continuing pursuit.

Mr. Prokosch
Feb 14, 2012

Behold My Magnificence!


Casino

You spilled the beans and you didn't get shot for it. The Shrikes will hear about this though, and if the Major ever withdraws her protection they will tear you apart. In general everyone's opinion of you just dropped. As soon as they hear, Earthers will think you're the scum of the earth, and even some Martians not involved with that operation will give you the side-eye. But, Been has nothing to hold over you. His gang is still on alert, but you know where he is. Profit is marching off, her girl following sullenly behind her.

What do you do?

Alboah

Things were a bit tense back there, you following the Major? On the way you get a beep in the secret part of your headgear. Interference must be low because Orbit is looking for a sitrep.

What do you do?

Reine

It doesn't take to long. As soon as your blood touches his, you know him. Crazy Ivan. You also know what happened, you can see it from his eyes. Crazy Ivan and Jen were real close and when she lost her leg it devastated her. He wanted to do something to help her, so he and some of the boys from his squad got together and leaned on that pussy Fitzgerald until he gave up his prosthetic. It wasn't the real thing but it would get her flying again and show her they cared. But a false leg needs a surgically installed base, so they took her to an abandoned wing of medical to put that on. A bunch of pricks found them there and jumped them. It started with screaming, and then a fistfight, but then someone drew. Tex got his brains blown out, Jen was strapped to the bed. Ivan was gutshot. His memories go in and out from there, flashes of being wrapped in bandages, arguments, being strapped down and wheeled out.

You can see his wounds closing up from the miraculous properties of your blood. His fever breaks. He's asleep for now, but you could wake him up and he'd be disoriented but able to walk. The two of you are still stuck in this office with an irrational guard outside.

What do you do?

Give Crazy Ivan 2 contamination moves

Sideways

You strafe the forest and they take the bait. A wave of bugs comes down on you. Remember how you looked at the border during the mind meld? Remember how that was not good loving news? For some reason the Bugs haven't pushed, but they've already gathered enough bodies to wipe the whole base off the map. A lot of those bodies come swarming out of the jungle. You've been out before, you've seen a pack of bugs after some humans. This is different. They want you dead. The whole goddamn swarm wants you to be dead and they don't carry how many they lose getting there.

What do you do?

Zee

Sideways draws the bugs off, and your group gets inside. The building has already been looted, but with your psychic insight you know where to look for a cache of heavy rifles, standard power armor (not the crazy marine poo poo), and some explosives.

Your gang gets +1 harm and +1 armor, you can take powered armor (2-armor) if you don't mind stomping around, and a Heavy Rifle (harm-3 close/far loud autofire)

The armory itself is strong concrete and steel with protected firing lines and emplacements. You get +1 armor when fighting in its defense.

There are a lot of bugs chasing sideways down the Line and away from the armory. That doesn't mean you'll be safe here forever, it feels like you may have riled up a large group of them. To the north you can spot another gang of humans approaching, also armed, with aerial support from the Shrikes.

What do you do?

Petrescu

You march south and soon you spot the cult's first target. They're raiding the armory for heavy weapons. Smokes swoops down to report, "eyes in the sky say it's a shitshow out there. They're looting the place for whatever people didn't take the first time that armory was overrun. Bugs aren't happy about it but they sent a ground vehicle to draw them off. No way the driver makes it out, loving fanatics. You're standing in a real scary spot out in the open here, if she turns this way the bugs might go for us after they open that tin can instead of trying to break through the building, so let's poo poo or get off the pot."

Profit

Even local communications are fuzzy as poo poo on this planet but hooking up with Alpha isn't that hard. Quebec 1 spots Rask up in the air to the south. Looks like he's hovering outside the Line. A bit more scouting shows that someone re-took the old armory and another force is headed towards them. Also, the bugs are riled the gently caress up and they're chasing that mini-tank relic nearby.

What do you do?

Shogeton
Apr 26, 2007

"Little by little the old world crumbled, and not once did the king imagine that some of the pieces might fall on him"


Cool: 0 Hard: +1 Hot: +2 Sharp: +1 Weird -1
XP: 2

"drat, drat, drat. The gently caress is going on. Fanatic, or just a puppet right now. Depends on what the intel freak has been getting up to. Alright, this mission still involves getting as many boys and girls home without getting eaten by bugs. Storming into them while they're getting their new toys is less beneficial for that then getting that one out. Maybe seeing what kind of wall of bugs they're thinking of going in will make them come to their senses. Heck, if we can convince them to take the hardware back to camp, this whole thing will have been a net bonus. For now, No Man Left Behind, or woman, because I only know one person who'd drive around in a piece of poo poo vehicle that's older than me."

I feel my shotgun, probably not gonna be that helpful at this range. "Get defensive positions, open fire on bugs that are trying to encircle her. Let's try to give her a chance to make it out of there. I'm in the habit of feeding soldiers, not bugs. Be careful not to overextend."

I try to use a radio to hail the vehicle. "Attention vehicle, I'm guessing Sideways. This is Sgt. Petrescu. We're providing covering fire. What exactly is your plan here besides playing catch with bugs?"

@Sgt. Vasile Petrescu (Shogeton): 2d6+1 Lay Down Fire on bugs = (6+6)+1 = 13
• You provide covering fire, allowing another character to move or act freely.
• You provide supporting fire, giving another PC +1choice to their own battle move.
• You provide suppressing fire, denying another character to move or act freely. (If a PC, they may still act under fire.)

Shogeton fucked around with this message at Jan 10, 2018 around 23:29

PoultryGeist
Feb 26, 2013

Crystals?


Hard =0 | Cool +2 | Hot +1 | Sharp +1 | Weird -1
Barter=4 | Harm=3:00 | XP ●●○○○»
Hoo. Lee. Shiiit.
There’s a big fuckin’ difference seeing a swarm on a tac-map and seeing it snapping at your bumper. My nose tells me Rosa’s already pissed herself, and I…
I’m in the loving zone. I mean yeah, I might get overrun and eaten alive in the next few minutes, but that all depends on my skills behind the wheel. Like it goddamn should. As I spin the turret to knock off a few bugs, my AD chimes to give me a new IFF. Quebec 1 is up, the Shrikes are in play. The Major probably isn’t too happy about an unauthorized op, but at least she won’t eat me. I think. I key my comm, including the Shrikes’ freqs.

“Fire Control Anvil, this is MP021. I’ve run into a possible Zeta-strength swarm just outside the Line, possibly prepping for an assault. Currently diverting a portion to Zone Bravo-2, would appreciate fire support before they eat me and the southern half of Anvil. Broadcasting my transponder, danger close.”
SidekickBOT - Today at 6:28 PM
@PFC 'Sideways' Thompson (PG): 2d6+1 Manipulating FC for artillery support = (2+5)+1 = 8
Marking XP


The Sarge’s call comes in on the tail of mine, fairly clear. poo poo, he must be close. “Hiya Sarge, just playing jackrabbit until Foxtrot Charlie sends the noise. Then hopefully I’ll mop up things and be back in time for lunch”

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

MY PAPER SOLDIERS
FORM A WALL
FIVE PACES THICK AND
TWICE AS TALL



Cool+1 Hard+2 Hot=0 Sharp+1 Weird-1 | 0:00 Harm | 2-Armor | XP ●●●○○» | 0-Barter
RLS-4B Dagger Speed+1 Handling=0 Massive=0 0-armor | Shrikes 3-harm gang medium savage 1-armor


I try to make sense of what I'm looking at here, and give it up for a bad job. "gently caress it. Follow me." I gun my speeder and lead the rest of the troop up and around. We take a lazy bank over both groups, making a poo poo ton of noise. Everyone should know we're here by now.

I make sure we come down to drop next to Alpha and between the two groups. I meet Frankie Smoke's eyes, point at him, then at the ground next to me. Fall in, soldier. Then I address all and sundry. "Someone tell me what the poo poo this is, and make it good."

Platonicsolid
Nov 17, 2008




Cool: +3 | Hard 0 | Hot +1 | Sharp +1 | Weird -1

Being right should feel better than this. I gambled, it paid off, now I've hosed Been - eminently deserving - and Profit...well we'll get into it later, probably trade blows, not bullets. It's the others who might upset things, Been's crew, maybe a couple Shrike's. I bet I can rely on the Shrikes to follow Profit's lead. Been...hell, I have half a mind to order him on some deadly field op. Maybe later. At the moment, there's people in trouble, a mystery to solve, and possibly a couple brownie points to win.

I grab my gear and head to hitch up with Quebec 1, my usual ride when I'm teaming up with the Shrikes. Q1 knows me well enough not to think of me as cargo, and having a sniper on the spotter craft makes sense - I've got a good eye and good optics, and it's easier for the spotter to give me a quick drop at some advantageous spot once we're hitting the ground. That icy look I'm getting...gently caress, news travels fast around here. I turn from Q1, focusing out the door and hefting my rifle to take a look through the scope....


"gently caress, bugs," I report on the radio, hoping it gets through the static. "Looks like Sideways down there, making tracks. poo poo..." I take off my safety...if the bugs get up on the vehicle, this poo poo will go bad fast.


SidekickBOT - Today at 11:03 PM
@Casino (Platonicsolid): 2d6+3 Standing Overwatch for Sideways, shooting anything that gets aboard. = (2+2)+3 = 7

Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

after a great meal i like to lie on the ground and feel like garbage




Cool +1 | Hard +2 | Hot -1 | Sharp +1 | Weird +2
Harm: 3:00 | Experience: ●●●●○» | 6-barter

Crazy Ivan is Addicted and seems to have developed The Other One as well.

I think about shaking Ivan awake and making for somewhere without a twitchy guard outside, but two things stop me: First, it's gonna suck to go through all this and see Ivan get shot again. Second, I didn't really catch everything that happened to Jen and Ivan and Tex, but it seemed to me like Jen is still tied up somewhere. Might be able to solve her leg problem and the whole being tied-up thing.

So, y'know, I'm going to need to grab him. I hope he doesn't push me, god knows I'd probably pop his head off like a cork by accident, but this poo poo is pretty hosed. Wouldn't be like he didn't deserve what he got. I leave Ivan knitting together and mending on the ground and make back for the entrance. This time I'm taking the door. None of that toothpaste poo poo for me. The door slides open, Jenkins starting as he hears it, but it's too goddamn late. I'm a blur of motion, then I've got him. Multi-tool held to the neck, plasma cutter humming with power. He so much as twitches, his carotid goes.

I say, "Hey, buddy. We've got a lot to talk about. Why don't you come in with me and have a seat. Let's talk this out, see if you can't give me a good goddamn reason not to let slip to Profit who vented her boy Tex."

He whimpers, but doesn't fight me as I pull him inside. Just gotta get him all sorted up with some ropes or zipties or some poo poo and the questions can start...

quote:

SidekickBOT - Today at 1:49 PM
@Spc. Reine (Tricky): 2d6+4 Go Aggro on Jenkins = (6+2)+4 = 12

+2 to the roll from Inhuman Strength and Reflexes. Per MC, Jenkins folds.

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.





Cool+1 | Hard=0 | Hot+1 | Sharp-1 | Weird+2
Harm: 0:00 | 1-armor | 4-barter | 2/5 XP

Big. loving. Guns. Hell yes.

The armory has clearly already been looted by some group or another, but they also obviously either couldn't or didn't want to take everything. Still lots of guns here, enough for everyone to get just that extra edge we might need in the coming hours. While I'm looking, one of my supplicants (Sister Maria, I think she calls herself?) points out a pile in the corner. A heavy rifle, practically bigger than she is, and some power armor perfectly sized to me. I think about it for the moment, but I decide against the armor--my powers are all the protection I need. The gun, on the other hand? Yeah, I think I'll take the big fuckoff gun.

After a few minutes everyone looks kitted out, but I can still hear the sound of bugs outside. We need to get back over to the main complex, but without getting swarmed on the way back. The armory's got some reinforced windows I can use to hopefully get a lay of the land and figure out a better plan before moving on from here.

Sidekick: @Zee (quiggy): 2d6-1 Read a sitch = (3+6)-1 = 8
Gonna ask what's my best way past, looking to get from the armory back across to safety.

Mr. Prokosch
Feb 14, 2012

Behold My Magnificence!


Reine

Jenkins yelps and struggles, but he's no match for your inhuman strength and speed. He gives in pretty quick: "because it wasn't our fault it just went FUBAR! We didn't mean for any of this poo poo, we just wanted to check medical and see if they had a peg for our man! But when we saw those loving thieves tempers flared up! We shouted at them and they loving drew on us! Fuuuuck! I don't even know what the gently caress we're supposed to do. If the Major sees this poo poo it's gonna be a bloodbath and these fuckers will squeel if we let them go but we can't stay here forever and we can't just kill them! It wouldn't be right and... gently caress! gently caress me! You're in this too now! You're loving in this too and if you tell Profit there will be loving WAR. What do we do?"

Petrescu

Your boys open fire on the horde. You don't make a dent in their sheer numbers, but when you wound the front line the ravenous swarm seems to collapse in on itself, skittering bugs smash into each other, crush each other, and whirl around in confusion. They were just too densely packed. Then Firebase Anvil comes to life and shows those loving beasts the unstoppable might of the Human War Machine. Trails of golden light rain down on the mass and where they touch there is nothing but white fire. Uncle Willie Pete come to visit.

The main mass of bugs have been incinerated but there are still some left. Meanwhile, you see Profit arrive and buzz both your group and the armory. They seem upset. When she gives the fall-in signal the Shrikes with you quickly obey.

without the Shrikes your gang loses 1-harm and 1-armor and you no longer have aerial scouts

What do you do?

Sideways

You swerve around, keeping just ahead of the swarm. Interference is low today and your message gets through. The rear end in a top hat on the other end answers, "hey, we weren't told about this. Munitions are low, gotta make 'em count. Can you... Oh you already did. Why don't people tell me things? Shoot the poo poo Jo!"

Looks like you got reinforcements! Even as you have this little chat, a second group lays into the bugs with supporting fire. They don't kill many, but it's perfect timing to hold them in place for the firestorm to do maximum damage.

A more manageable number of bugs continues to follow you. They must really hate that song. Or maybe it's something else?

What do you do?

Profit

You arrive in time to see Petrescu and Alpha lay down fire on the Bugs, which bunches and holds them just long enough for the WP to do its job. Good coordination, perfect grouping, you haven't seen an operation that pretty for a while. As you buzz the various factions Alpha falls in with you, though there are still bugs left. poo poo, there's a planet full of bugs left.

What do you do?

Zee

You see Petrescu's group lay into the bugs, rescuing Sideways. You see the Shrikes buzzing over everyone, asserting dominance. There's no way to sneak around these guys, even while they're distracted with the bugs. The Shrikes especially can gun you down in the open. But you can see a spark of hope. The bugs were a blessing for what you're trying to do here, a tangible reminder of who the real enemy is and a chance to blow off steam. If they're victorious, they will feel capable of a harder fight. They will be willing to listen.

The best way out is to shoot it out against the bugs with them and then surrender to the other gangs. Give them the weapons you looted and use that chance to tell them the truth only you know: there is a way to fight the bugs. There is still hope. You'll need to say it to the whole assembly, not just the leaders. Your message of hope and victory will bite deep into the crowd.

You get +1 when using this information

What do you do?

Casino

You ride with the Shrikes. Normally that would earn some brownie points, and Profit's orders are clear that they shouldn't gently caress with you. But you can see Bish talking as they muster, and there are a lot of dagger-eyed looks. Fear of Profit is keeping the immediate retribution at bay, but these people are not your friends.

In your scope you can see Sideways get free of the bugs and the base open up the old War Crime in a Can. You pick out targets of opportunity among the survivors, but they've definitely lost a lot of mass and they're behind a step in the race to murder the tank. In this battle at least the humans have retaken the initiative.

What do you do?

General: The attack so far has reduced the bugs from Large to Medium.

Shogeton
Apr 26, 2007

"Little by little the old world crumbled, and not once did the king imagine that some of the pieces might fall on him"


Cool: 0 Hard: +1 Hot: +2 Sharp: +1 Weird -1
XP: 2

"Hah, well isn't that a sight for sore eyes. I figure somewhere some chem lab workers get to sleep good tonight, knowing their work was not done in vain."" I notice more Shrikes appear, and Sgt. Smokes moves to fall in. As you know, he loving should in this situation. In fact, he's not the only one. I'm a Sgt. who's mostly keeping a mess, she's a Major of one of the most effective battalions we've got. Ain't no question who's in command of this engagement right now. I try to get a radio to her.

"Major Profit, sir. Sgt. Petrescu reporting. I've got a platoon of infantry awaiting orders." I kind of know how she works. Explanations can come later. Right now, there is fighting to be done, and she wants the minimum amount of chatter, and the maximum amount of helping her loving bugs up.

I look at the others, talking off-mic. "Alright folks. We're gonna dance to the Aircav's tune for a bit so we don't get blue on blue outthere. So show those air-boys and girls what kind of shooting you can do when you've got your two feet on the ground."

@Sgt. Vasile Petrescu (Shogeton): 2d6+2 Asssit Profit = (3+2)+2 = 7

Shogeton fucked around with this message at Jan 11, 2018 around 23:59

PoultryGeist
Feb 26, 2013

Crystals?


Hard =0 | Cool +2 | Hot +1 | Sharp +1 | Weird -1
Barter=4 | Harm=3:00 | XP ●●○○○»
Hahaha, still alive. Though a good chunk of the bugs are still kicking too. Then my AD pings, more speeders forming up. Looks like the Shrikes are gonna do a run. And as much as I’d like to get the gently caress out of here, its only for the actions of others that I’m still alive. No need to go face-first, but I can help keep them corralled in the kill-zone.

I bring Thumper around, angling to become the third leg of the Shrike-Sarge-Me triangle with the bugs stuck in the middle. Now technically, I should have a gunner doing this next bit, but I’m not going for precision here, so the rope and pulley I’ve rigged up should be fine. Aim low, fire in short controlled bursts. Die motherfuckers, die. Die motherfuckers, die. Die motherfuckers, die.

(Using Sarge’s result to move freely around the swarm, then laying down my own fire for the Major. I get +1 choice from Sarge’s LDF result.
SidekickBOT - Today at 6:52 PM
@PFC 'Sideways' Thompson (PG): 2d6+0 Lay Down Fire for Profit = (3+5)+0 = 8
-You provide supporting fire, giving another PC +1 choice to their own battle move.
-You provide suppressing fire, denying another character to move or act freely
-You take an opportune shot, inflicting harm (but -1harm) on an enemy within your
Reach. (4-harm far area messy))

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009


MAGE CURES PLOT


harm 0:00 hunger 3:00 | XP 2/5
Armor systems// armor 2 damage 0:00 charge 3:00 ammo 3:00


I watch the tension pass between the Lt and the Shrike, whatever.
A small tone and an indicator light wink on, ping from the LRRDS - Long Range Resupply Depot Satellite, I've used those before on 'long drops' where it isnt just drop > smash > make pickup to the ship, where an assignment has taken days or weeks.

With a couple thought commands and some blinks, I mute my external sound, I can still hear what everyone is saying, but no one can hear me talking. I record an audio update in a few terse and to the point sentences. (Primary objective looks blown, will attempt alternate and Secondary as soon as immediate conditions are stabilized, Tertiary objective inconclusive, please advise.) and then I upload it to the LRRD as we walk through FB Anvil.

I follow Profit back to Shriketown and clamp on to her speeder as we all mobilize. My own scanners rival the speeder's as I take in the immediate TacSit. Bugtown. gently caress. The Shrikes unleash a full volley that vaporizes a decent chunk of the fuckers, That little tank is giving em hell, and even Petrescu's people are putting down bugs as fast as they can.

I cue up my playlist, filtered so only I can hear it in my suit and it won't leak if I talk to anyone else.

With a quick breath to steady myself, I release my hands from the clamps and drop three or so meters to the ground and everything slows down.

I bend my knees a bit with the shock, arms raised simultaneously with the support arm bringing SARGe forward, weapon light Amber. Weapons Free.

Running in a suit is a little different than running without, old time army marches don't really work, your strides are too long and unevenly spaced, The added strength and speed means you can cover between 2 and 4 meters with every bound. Back when power armor was new, some NCO discovered that really old rock and roll had the perfect tempo for suit-running and so that's been semi-official-unofficial MI tradition ever since...with updates for personal taste of course.

I charge forward towards the thickest clump of bugs, highlight as many target blips as I can and open.
Bursts of tiny, high velocity, tungsten rounds smash through clumps of bugs like a boot stepping on a roach, the plasmic discharge of my rails making it seem as though bolts of green lightning connect me to each dying bug. I keep my bursts quick (mouthing 'Die, Motherfuckers to myself with each pull of the trigger) to conserve ammo.
Lay Down Fire 8 +xp (4 harm area messy)
You provide suppressing fire, denying another character (BUGS) to move or act freely.
You take an opportune shot, inflicting harm (but -1harm) on an enemy within your
reach.

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

MY PAPER SOLDIERS
FORM A WALL
FIVE PACES THICK AND
TWICE AS TALL



Cool+1 Hard+2 Hot=0 Sharp+1 Weird-1 | 0:00 Harm | 2-Armor | XP ●●●○○» | 0-Barter
RLS-4B Dagger Speed+1 Handling=0 Massive=0 0-armor | Shrikes 3-harm gang medium savage 1-armor


loving Petrescu on my comms. He and I am going to have some things to talk about. But later. First, the bugs. "Hold position and provide fire support," I radio back.

In the meantime, I've got a troop to command. "Alpha, Bravo, Echo - hammer formation. Drive the bugs off Sideways and blow them the gently caress off our doortstep." With that, I swoop back around so I'm lined up with the main part of the bug swarm, then gun the engine as I trade altitude for speed to come at them. The rest of the troop lines up and follows me. We hold fire and some altitude in reserve until the last second, then drop on them like hawks, guns blazing at close range as we slam past at top speed. The pass is over in a hearbeat and we're through, clawing back into the sky and banking around in case we need to hit them again.

Some of the speeders are splattered with the guts of bugs who didn't get out of the way and didn't fall to our guns. But they never go quiet - I can tell there are injured, especially in Bravo since they were right on me as we punched through. Smoking patches where acid hit a speeder, or where spines are standing up in clumps, driven right into the armor. Goddamn bugs don't even use guns but the poo poo they do have is worse.

The bugs got the worst of it this time, though. "Weren't expecting that, were you, assholes!"

As the unit breaks contact with what's left of the swarm, I pull them back around towards the base, coming in to land near where everyone is gathered. Got some people I want to talk to. I wave for most of the Shrikes to land, though I give Echo the signal to stick on overwatch in case some other uninvited guests turn up.

@Profit (Comrade Gorbash): 2d6+2 Seize by Force = (3+3)+2 = 8; +1 choice from Petrescu
3-harm gang medium savage 1-armor[
• You inflict terrible harm (+1harm).
• You suffer little harm (-1harm).
• You take definite and undeniable control of it.

Comrade Gorbash fucked around with this message at Jan 12, 2018 around 16:13

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.





Cool+1 | Hard=0 | Hot+1 | Sharp-1 | Weird+2
Harm: 0:00 | 1-armor | 4-barter | 2/5 XP

Shrikes overhead. Bugs everywhere. Can't see Sideways from here, no idea what happened to her. Just my gang, our guns, and our wits. I recognize that I could probably surrender to the brass right now, but gently caress the brass there's no way I'm ever letting them get their hands on me again. Unless...

I turn back to my followers and pose a simple question. "Do you trust me?" I get a few reserved nods and mumbles. "Do you trust me!" This time the response is louder as they near simultaneously-chant "Ave Zee!"

"Follow me! We've a war to win!"

I charge out of the armory, gun blazing, and watch as my followers do likewise. The bugs aren't likely to reach us before we get back to the complex, but I figure it's important to at least look like we're doing our part here. When we make it back to the main complex, I seal the blast door behind us and order my followers to stand down. "Keep your guns," I say, "but don't point them at anyone. We stay here until the brass arrives."

They clearly don't understand, but I get a few "Ave Zee!"s anyway. "It will be ok," I reassure them.

"I have foreseen it."

Mr. Prokosch
Feb 14, 2012

Behold My Magnificence!


Profit

Your sweep combined with the artillery and fire from three directions devastates the mass of bugs. What's left is a pile of smoking gore. There's rustling in the jungle, but whatever bugs are left hidden seem to pull back, deeper into the darkness. You rule the skies. The South end of Firebase Anvil has been retaken and is under your undisputed control.

A combination of acid, guts, and poor maintenance had downed Bravo 2's hammer. Moshe was wounded in the fall, Doc's giving her field treatment. All of Bravo 2 will need to ride with transport until you can get their vehicle fixed.

bugs deal 3-harm. Subtract 1 for choices and 1 for armor leaves your gang taking net 1-harm

Alboah

You lay down fire for Profit and kick bug-rear end. Orbital send you a quick message in text.

Objective 3 clarification: any personnel may be contaminated. No reliable screen for all levels. High level contaminated may recover unusually fast from wounds. Anyone experiencing a miraculous recovery is THE ENEMY.

Death of VIP is likely but not confirmed. BE ADVISED current mission is time sensitive. Failure to progress may result in re-orientation of strategic priorities towards higher order orbital-based solutions.

ADVISE: What is level of contamination at Firebase Anvil? Is it recoverable? Is it clear for level-3 quarantine?

Biomass reduction is non-mission critical but may aid other operations.

-You have to option to ask for resupply


What do you do?

Sideways

You fire on those bugs until they're squashed. They're a lot less dangerous out in the open here than in the jungle where they can tear you apart before you even see them. There was something real weird about how they acted today though. Like they were so organized and coordinated but all they did was suicide-swarm around you in particular. You'd expect them to be after Mother Zee if they were targeting anyone.

What do you do?

Petrescu

A glorious victory for humanity! Your platoon is in higher spirits than you've seen in weeks. Zee's cult rushed out of the armory to join you! But then they run around, back inside Firebase Anvil. It's clear that the Shrikes are observing them but is letting them go, she had definite control of this area and could easily stop them.

What do you do?

Zee

The plan goes fine. Shooting at the bugs was perfect cover for your retreat back to the safe zone. Everything you're doing is being watched by the Shrikes, who with air superiority could have made the walk in the open go very poorly. But they let you withdraw. The cult follows your lead, not relinquishing their weapons but being careful not to threaten anyone.

Mr. Prokosch fucked around with this message at Jan 12, 2018 around 22:47

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009


MAGE CURES PLOT


harm 0:00 hunger 3:00 | XP 2/5
Armor systems// armor 2 damage 0:00 charge 3:00 ammo 3:00// 1-resupply


And just like that, the fight was over. I take in the carnage, as the support arm retracts SARGe, weapon light goes green, ammo readout says 90%.

In great bounding strides, I rush over to Bravo 2's position, I don't have spare supplies, and I'm not exiting my Armor to try and give clumsy first aid, but I can keep watch for stray bugs and cover them until they can get their wounded moving. I quickly read through the LRRD update. I haven't seen any kind of miracle healing...the gently caress? Ok and 're-orientation of strategic priorities towards higher order orbital-based..' oh. You motherfuckers, ok ok, R&R over. I got it. gently caress.

I mute output and quickly compose a response:
1. Firebase Anvil currently shows no signs of hostile infection. Level 3 Quarantine is not necessary at this time.
2. Objective 1 & 2 is IN PROGRESS, hold for next update.

That done, I turn back to watching over Bravo 2.
so, what are my leads for finding the VIP or the VIP's implant? are they here at Anvil, or at another location I need to get to? Does the flower grow in a known area? or would I expect to find a sample wherever the VIP is? I ask this fully knowing poo poo will change and get hosed up, I'm just trying to figure out what I need to do next.

Mr. Prokosch
Feb 14, 2012

Behold My Magnificence!


Aboah

The implant should send out a radio signal, but you haven't picked it up and with all the interference you'd need to be close. Last known whereabouts were at the Life Labs Eden Campus. This is the closest active base to it. Life Labs was an early pre-war installation when people thought the planet was harmless and has been over-run since day one (2.5 years ago), but there were supposedly safe rooms and poo poo.

The flower should be in the wild, maybe someone who does a lot of scouting like Sideways or the Shrikes could have seen it but they may not have known it was anything worth taking note of. It was mentioned by the VIP, so there could also be a sample in the labs.

Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

after a great meal i like to lie on the ground and feel like garbage




Cool +1 | Hard +2 | Hot -1 | Sharp +1 | Weird +2
Harm: 3:00 | Experience: ●●●●○» | 6-barter

As I toss Jenkins back into Tacsim and get him trussed up against a chair, I give him a goddamn withering look. I say, "Whoah, buddy, it wasn't my idea to run a hit on Profit's crew. I like you, dude, I really do, but I'm not about to take a fall for you and the Sarge. Profit's not dumb. It's not going to take long for her to run a head count and then what do you think is going to happen? The way I see it, you guys are hosed. Maybe you can do something to make it a tiny bit better, though. There were three of them, right? What happened to the girl?" I can practically smell his anxiety. Hell, maybe I can. Who the gently caress knows any more. "Tell me where she is. If you can do that for me, maybe I can spin it so that you don't get loving executed for some goddamn attempted mutiny against Aircav."

quote:

SidekickBOT - Today at 3:10 PM
@Spc. Reine (Tricky): 2d6+1 Read Jenkins = (5+3)+1 = 9

Holding 1 for the moment, spending it on "How can I get your character to show me where Jen got stashed?"

Platonicsolid
Nov 17, 2008




Cool: +3 | Hard 0 | Hot +1 | Sharp +1 | Weird -1

The tank's in the clear for now, and as we bank and swoop over the battlefield, I take my shots in quick succession, felling the bugs I feel are too far out, or would make the most important road block. A tripped bug is an easier to shoot bug. A moment's respite and I'm scoping good drop points from the air, when a whole team comes bursting out of Firebase Anvil.

I drop out of Quebec 1 while the Shrikes are forming up - no pleasantries, not like usual, and gently caress it, don't care that much. A couple bugs stay nice and dead in response to a boot to the head.

"Anybody know what they were after?" I ask. "That didn't look like normal swarming. We should get Zee over here, psych might tell us something." I saw her...heading back to base.

I hustle double time, while trying to get on the radio. "Zee? Got something for you to look at."

Platonicsolid fucked around with this message at Jan 13, 2018 around 04:24

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.





Cool+1 | Hard=0 | Hot+1 | Sharp-1 | Weird+2
Harm: 0:00 | 1-armor | 4-barter | 2/5 XP

Made it back safely, somehow. My followers are all catching their breaths while I start contemplating our next move. In truth, I think it might be wise to turn myself in so long as the planet is still isolated, but just then Isaiah's radio goes off. It's... Casino? "Got something for you to look at."

That's a loving trap and I know it is. Still, springing a trap can be a good plan when you know that's what you're doing.

"Change of plans guys," I say to my followers, then I grab Isaiah's radio out of his hands. "We're gonna get company. Don't shoot unless they shoot first, but don't hesitate if that happens."

I hold the radio up and press the talk button. "This is Zee," I say, as plainly as I can. "Just sealed Blast Door 12, in the access corridor. If you need me, I'll be here. Bring no weapons."

Now we wait.

Mr. Prokosch
Feb 14, 2012

Behold My Magnificence!


Zee

The first person to contact you is... Casino? A bit strange, but you saw her riding with the Shrikes.

You two work this out.

Profit

What do you do after taking over? Zee's people have withdrawn, with those guns probably whatever crazy plan they had is still in play. Petrescu has gladly given command to you and will follow your lead.

Reine

"gently caress! We are hosed! Jen wouldn't calm down so we just tied her up in another office. I, uh, I can show you. Leroy's watching her. Let's ask him what to do. How can we spin what happened if she's around? We let her go she'll tell the Major, and if Profit tells her to leave it she'll still eat my balls. She said that. She looked me in the eye and swore on her mother's grave she'd do it."

He's starting to ramble and he won't make eye contact with you. This guy's lost a marble, seems like he hasn't even noticed your weird monster strength yet. He'll show you where Jen is stashed easy enough, but you'll need to keep him firmly under your control the whole time or he will rabbit. Not because it's the best thing to do, but because he's lost some higher brain functions to existential panic.

What do you do?

PoultryGeist
Feb 26, 2013

Crystals?


Hard =0 | Cool +2 | Hot +1 | Sharp +1 | Weird -1
Barter=4 | Harm=3:00 | XP ●●●○○»
“See, made it through the poo poo, just like I said.” I smack Rosa’s shoulder, a stupid ‘I -shouldn’t-have-survived-that’ smile on my face. But of course, things are still a little dicey. This was an unapproved op, and it doesn’t sound like the Major is super happy. And pretty much everyone who could put a serious dent in my life or tour is here. So maybe a bit of caution is in order. I angle Thumper across the battlefield, heading towards the Shrikes but making sure they aren’t between me and the firebase. Eyes peeled, ears searching the static for clues to how the winds are blowing.
SidekickBOT - Today at 6:09 PM
@PFC 'Sideways' Thompson (PG): 2d6+1 Reading the Sitch = (1+6)+1 = 8
-Where’s my best escape route?

Mr. Prokosch
Feb 14, 2012

Behold My Magnificence!


Sideways

Cult, what cult? The op was totally sanctioned. Major Huan told you to drive in a loving circle around the base for a while and you were following orders like a good little girl. Yeah, you also think that's the dumbest thing you've ever heard. Take it up with your commanding officer. Not your problem.

What the gently caress does Profit know? She hasn't been talking with Huan. You can at least confuse and deflect enough to get out of here for now.

Shogeton
Apr 26, 2007

"Little by little the old world crumbled, and not once did the king imagine that some of the pieces might fall on him"


Cool: 0 Hard: +1 Hot: +2 Sharp: +1 Weird -1
XP: 3
Hah, that's some good bug hunting that was. And as a bonus, The Intel freak's and her group seems to be heading back towards the base, which is pretty much the direction I was gonna try to get them to. I mean, a bit more with Z-78b-X in custody and a bit less firepower, but what, they're not gonna take over the camp, even with those toys. For now, best to report the sit to the highest ranking officer on the field.

I move towards Major Profit is landing and snap a salute, waiting to see if she's got something to say to me, trying to see what's on her mind right now.



@Sgt. Vasile Petrescu (Shogeton): 2d6+1 reading major profit = (1+3)+1 = 5 What does Major Profit wish Petrescu would do? Also, prepare for the worst. Also +1 xp, already noted here.

Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

after a great meal i like to lie on the ground and feel like garbage




Cool +1 | Hard +2 | Hot -1 | Sharp +1 | Weird +2
Harm: 3:00 | Experience: ○○○○○» | 6-barter

As far as I can tell, this guy has gone completely loving insane. So, uh, no regrets almost slitting his throat. Even fewer regrets if Jen does end up eating his balls. Anyways, I just need a hand on him to keep him from seeing his shadow and flipping the gently caress out on the way to wherever him and Leroy stashed Jen... How hard could it be?

...

The answer is pretty drat. The guy isn't any great shakes when it comes to muscles, but he's just spazzing out non-stop as we walk. Zigging and zagging, just absolutely trying to go anywhere and everywhere his fevered mind associates with being safe. Still, despite the racket his flailing is making, we make pretty good time to the office I can only assume is where Jen still is.

quote:

SidekickBOT - Today at 2:38 PM
@Spc. Reine (Tricky): 2d6+2 Act Under Fire = (6+1)+2 = 9

XP, moving Jenkins is not subtle as all.

Taking Unnatural Lust Transfixion from the Brainer as Reine's consciousness more fully integrates with the alien ways the Mind communicates in.

Tricky fucked around with this message at Jan 18, 2018 around 00:03

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

MY PAPER SOLDIERS
FORM A WALL
FIVE PACES THICK AND
TWICE AS TALL



Cool+1 Hard+2 Hot=0 Sharp+1 Weird-1 | 0:00 Harm | 2-Armor | XP ●●●○○» | 0-Barter
RLS-4B Dagger Speed+1 Handling=0 Massive=0 0-armor | Shrikes 3-harm gang medium savage 1-armor


I see Petrescu walk up. Good, looks like most of the influential people on base are here. I don't need Zee to come with me - hell it'll be better to talk to her after. Been's another issue entirely of course.

"Sergeant, good work getting in front of those bugs. Good to have you with us." I look him up and down. It's hard to say which way he's going to jump in the end, so best keep him close. "Given the current situation, I have some things I need to discuss with Major Huan and then Captain Been. Things that need to be dealt with before we can properly deal with the goddamn bugs. You, Lt. Duff, and LCpl. Aboah should probably come with me. We'll talk to miss Zee later."

Assuming no one balks, Profit is going to collect everyone she named up and head for command to talk to Major Huan. If Zee and/or Sideways want to come too that's fine, but Profit isn't going to try and talk them into it right now. Profit would prefer Casino and Aboah to come with, but if they want to bounce and do something else she won't push, though it may change how she comes to them later, depending on what happens next. She is going to insist Petrescu come though.

If everyone climbs on, then Profit is taking the Shrikes direct to command/wherever Huan is holed up.

Comrade Gorbash fucked around with this message at Jan 18, 2018 around 01:23

Shogeton
Apr 26, 2007

"Little by little the old world crumbled, and not once did the king imagine that some of the pieces might fall on him"


Cool: 0 Hard: +1 Hot: +2 Sharp: +1 Weird -1
XP: 3

I nods "Sir, yes sir." I simply say. I can give the full report at base, with everyone there. "If someone could head back to Zee's usual digs, there's a soldier her crew beat the snot off that probably can use someone escorting back. If you don't mind I'll have some boys go and get him somewhere safe." If it was not countermanded, I order some people go back to take care of Etsy and follow along. Yep, this could turn out to be a very good day.

Mr. Prokosch
Feb 14, 2012

Behold My Magnificence!




Profit

Petrescu and his men are shockingly happy to obey your orders. Maybe they're just happy to be getting orders at all. You can see they are mostly veterans, an unusually skilled group of military men and women who get comfort from the old ways. Some people around the base have taken to calling them the Old Guard. Of course, you haven't told them the plan yet. Break too much with the proper forms and they'll turn on you.

You fly down to Command, your assembled forces behind you. If you care to check on him, Petrescu isn't there. Weird. The Old Guard are also looking nervous. There's some side talk, they expected to go after Zee. What are they doing here?

Huan doesn't keep a gang around him like Been but a few people are hanging around outside of Command and eyeing you curiously. Command is designed as a heavy bunker to repel mortar attacks, withstand terror strikes, and act as the final line of defense if the rest of the base falls. It's drat near impenetrable by normal means. Aboah might be able to breach it, orbital marines are trained to take bunkers like this to decapitate enemy command. There's also an intercom button.

What do you do?

Petrescu

No doubt you'd be happy to follow after Profit. But in the shuffle of bodies getting on the Shrike's transports you notice something... disturbing. The bug corpses aren't just bleeding, they're shedding. Blue flecks waft over the whole group and stick to their clothes. You see a Private breathe a glob of it in. It doesn't seem like they notice. Maybe that's normal, you do mostly work inside, sheltered from the alien jungle. You see it though, and then it sees you. A cloud of the stuff envelopes you head. It clutches at your throat and you can't even make a strangled yelp. You stumble and fall.

You wake up. It's dark and cool. You're in some kind of muddy tunnel. There's a soft blue light from streaks of glowing moss on the walls.

What do you do?

Reine

You walk into a dark room of partially open cubicles, Jenkins stumbling ahead of you. A voice calls out, "take another step and I turn you both to chunky salsa. I don't know what the gently caress you're up to, girl, but I am not to be hosed with today."

"Hey Leroy!" Jenkins waves at the dark room, "I brought a friend. She's going to help us. She almost cut my throat though, so, mixed bag I guess. I dunno."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shogeton
Apr 26, 2007

"Little by little the old world crumbled, and not once did the king imagine that some of the pieces might fall on him"


Cool: 0 Hard: +1 Hot: +2 Sharp: +1 Weird -1
XP: 4

Huh. The hell is that blue stuff? I think of mentioning it to someone, but everyone seems to ignore it. Well, gently caress if I'm going to act like a boot and ask what this is. I don't really wanna draw attention to the fact I haven't exactly been a regular in close combat right now. So I just shut my trap and What the fu...

....

...

I wake up and feel cold mud on my face. I scramble up, feeling the comforting weight of my shotgun. But what is far less comforting is the absence of... anyone else. I quickly reach for my own helmet based radio. "This is Sgt Petrescu, I've woken up in an unknown location. Please respond." Nothing but static. I feel a tinge of fear but ignore it. I'm a soldier. I'm just calmly going through the proper frequencies, and check that no contact can be made.

Alright. I'm in the middle of some moss grown wall, unknown location. What the hell do I do now? I start looking around, looking for tracks, inspecting the weird blue moss, trying not to touch it, and trying not to make any noise. I can't be too far from Firebase Anvil.

@Sgt. Vasile Petrescu (Shogeton): 2d6+1 Read a sitch = (4+2)+1 = 7: Where's my best 'escape route'?

  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
  • Post
  • Reply