Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PoultryGeist
Feb 27, 2013

Crystals?
Willie ‘Sideways’ Thompson
Hard =0 | Cool +2 | Hot +1 | Sharp +1 | Weird -1
Barter=4 | Harm=0:00 | XP ○○○○○»

Huh, hadn’t noticed Reine come in. But then again lubing up Thumper’s drivetrack is an engrossing process if you don’t want to lose fingers. And at least she could hold her peace, unlike Jacobs’ pasty flatlander rear end. I’m not an Aresist by any means, but the man was an endless fountain of Earth First! bullshit.

I smile to myself when Reine pushes back. Good girl, don’t let them get the boot in. I saunter over towards the two of them, wiping my hands on a convenient rag and giving my radio the side-eye. “Yeah Jacobs, some of us enjoy a bit of quiet. Lets us get things done. And Facilities and Motor Pool are both Logistics so, you know, she actually belongs here.” I toss my rag to him and give the radio a couple of speculative taps, maybe its shorting out?

“So actually, that raises the question: what is TacStrat’s errand boy is doing on the wrong side of the dome?”

quote:

Sideways, the Driver
Looks: Woman, utility wear, gorgeous face, cold eyes, Slim body,
Stats: Cool+2 Hard=0 Hot+1 Sharp+1 Weird-1
Gear: sawed-off (3-harm close reload messy), oddments worth 4-barter, stained fatigues

Moves:
Eye on the door: name your escape route and roll+cool. On a 10+, you’re gone. On
a 7–9, you can go or stay, but if you go it costs you: leave something behind or take
something with you, the MC will tell you what. On a miss, you’re caught vulnerable, half
in and half out.

My other car is a tank: you get a specialized battle vehicle (detail with the MC).

Lyft: Massive +2, Speed 0, Handling 1, Armor 1 (4x4, rugged, off-road, quirky, guzzler)

Thumper Massive +2, Speed 0, Handling 1, Armor 2 (4x4, rugged, off-road, sleek, cramped) Mounted 50cal mg (5-harm far area messy)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PoultryGeist
Feb 27, 2013

Crystals?

I am torn, I may not be a radio jockey but having some idea of what the hell is going on outside the base would be nice. But luckily Reine steps up for me. “Thanks girl. I hopefully won’t be gone long, I’ll take Lyft. Might be able to pick something up on his radio, and you can get me on the horn if need be.”

I hop in my transport and fiddle with the radio set to see if I can pull in that signal. Barely waiting for Ode to find his seat, I haul out of the garage, Lyft’s treads finding easy purchase in the muddy gravel outside the motor pool. “So Brother-mine, Our Friend happen to give any deets on this vibe? Was pulling in an odd signal there, might be something going on beyond the wire.”

Strictly speaking using Lyft is probably a little overkill, its not that far to Zee’s place. But for a few minutes I get to feel the wind in my hair without worrying about bugstrike. Its a rare thing and I’ll take it when I can.

PoultryGeist
Feb 27, 2013

Crystals?

I scan the group and the meeting room, I may not be doing something illegal right now but its in the same ballpark and old habits die hard. Isaiah, Ode, and a few others I know, but there are alot of folks here I’ve only seen in passing. Hopefully Zee’s Message today will be a good one, help settle me down. From the shouting at the other end of the motor pool, the Major wouldn’t take kindly to me field-striping a speeder to help calm my nerves.

PoultryGeist
Feb 27, 2013

Crystals?
Barter=4 | Harm=0:00 | XP ●○○○○»

Singing.
Someone’s singing the old anthem: lo xunre plini.
Oh wait, I'm singing it. Weird, I didn’t think Momma taught me it, Daddy didn’t like her using Lojban in the house. Its weird, but comforting. Kinda like Zee. Momma Zee. Yeah.

I can feel all of us, Zee’s Children, echoing and babbling in the mindspace Momma Zee has given us. Its like we are all talking all of our thoughts all at once, and Momma Zee sits in the center. Sitting and smiling and shaping the thought-stuff. I can even feel a little of her thoughts, the shape of them as they caress mine.

The thought map is huge, so big that I can’t hold the entire thing in my head. So I focus on what’s important: our perimeter. Looking for the things that could threaten me and Momma Zee and Reine.

SidekickBOT - Today at 10:21 PM
@PFC 'Sideways' Thompson (PG): 2d6+1 Reading Momma Zee = (1+5)+1 = 7
Spending my one hold to ask: What does your character wish I’d do?

PoultryGeist
Feb 27, 2013

Crystals?
PFC Sideways Thompson

Yessss, Central. With that, we could link back up with Alpha and push back any scouts or other threats. I rush Momma Zee, euphoric smile on my face, and press Lyft's starter into her hand. "My transport is outside, you can take it for the rest of the Children. I'll run back and grab Thumper, he'll give us good firepower." I start to leave, but then turn back quickly and envelop Zee in a hug, whispering "mi do prami le mamta*" into her hair.

And then I'm off, running back to the motor pol with laughter in my throat and an urge to do violence in my heart.

*I love you mother

PoultryGeist
Feb 27, 2013

Crystals?

I slide to a stop next to Lyft, Thumper’s drive protesting slightly at the sudden shift in momentum. A few folks in the Motor Pool tried to flag me down as I left, but my boys aren’t technically Army property so I really don’t need to sign them out. Especially when Momma Zee is in a hurry. I pop out of the driver’s compartment with my link-helmet askew and heave two boxes of 50-cal onto the cupola, didn’t have time to finish loading the gun.

Looking around I see Rosa, she knows her way around heavy weapons so I wave her over. When Etsy continues to extract her, I simply walk over and grab Etsy by the arm grabbing Rosa. “I’m sorry Etsy, but Rosa can’t play right now. I need her help to get Thumper ready, we’re going to have to move out soon.” I give Etsy my best smile, Momma always said you’d get more flies with honey than a dome breach.

PoultryGeist
Feb 27, 2013

Crystals?

The smile freezes on my face as Etsy unleashes his torrent of… rudeness. Using his rock of an arm as a pivot, I spin under until I am between him and Rosa, right up in his face. The smile cracks slightly as my eyes bore holes into his. “Rosa and I have work to do and you are being quite rude. Now go away before I have to gently caress. Your. Goddamned. Face.

SidekickBOT - Today at 9:33 PM
@PFC 'Sideways' Thompson (PG): 2d6+0 Going Aggro on Etsy w/fists = (4+2)+0 = 6

PoultryGeist
Feb 27, 2013

Crystals?

Barter=4 | Harm=3:00 | XP ●○○○○»
gently caress, my head hurts
I spit another wad of bloody gunk over Thumper’s edge, trying to get my eyes to focus properly. I will admit seeing Etsy get curbed after laying me out was satisfying, but drat my ribs still hurt. And concentrating was a bit of an issue, I’m having trouble remembering why exactly we were out here. I mean Zee’s idea was a good one, gotta reinforce our position. But we didn’t have a mission briefing or anything. Did we?

Whatever, I’m out here now. Mine’s not to reason why, right? And things are going fairly smoothly, even managed to get Thumper’s gun fully loaded on the roll with Rosa’s help. But now we see our objective, and it looks like there’s company waiting for us in the treeline. Hmmmm. I queue up the local map on my Augmented Display, and trace a path arcing away from the armory and back towards the Line. I catch Zee’s attention.

“So I’m thinking Thumper here is our best bet for dealing with those tangos. I’ll rabbit them back towards fire support, give you enough time to do what needs done.” I pop back down and button the hatch, giving Rosa a cocksure grin. “I’m gonna need you to watch the board, and sing out if any of the indicators go red. Gonna be concentrating on this.”

Thumper tears off, eating up the distance. I hit the treeline and spin around, playing standard PsyOps audio. Once I’ve got their attention, I peel out along that arc, leading them away from Zee and the rest of the Children and into the Fire Zones.
SidekickBOT - Today at 6:17 PM
@PFC 'Sideways' Thompson (PG): 2d6+2 Sideways is the bug-bait = (3+4)+2 = 9
-You draw your prey all the way into the trap. Otherwise, they only approach.

PoultryGeist
Feb 27, 2013

Crystals?

Barter=4 | Harm=3:00 | XP ●●○○○»
Hoo. Lee. Shiiit.
There’s a big fuckin’ difference seeing a swarm on a tac-map and seeing it snapping at your bumper. My nose tells me Rosa’s already pissed herself, and I…
I’m in the loving zone. I mean yeah, I might get overrun and eaten alive in the next few minutes, but that all depends on my skills behind the wheel. Like it goddamn should. As I spin the turret to knock off a few bugs, my AD chimes to give me a new IFF. Quebec 1 is up, the Shrikes are in play. The Major probably isn’t too happy about an unauthorized op, but at least she won’t eat me. I think. I key my comm, including the Shrikes’ freqs.

“Fire Control Anvil, this is MP021. I’ve run into a possible Zeta-strength swarm just outside the Line, possibly prepping for an assault. Currently diverting a portion to Zone Bravo-2, would appreciate fire support before they eat me and the southern half of Anvil. Broadcasting my transponder, danger close.”
SidekickBOT - Today at 6:28 PM
@PFC 'Sideways' Thompson (PG): 2d6+1 Manipulating FC for artillery support = (2+5)+1 = 8
Marking XP

The Sarge’s call comes in on the tail of mine, fairly clear. poo poo, he must be close. “Hiya Sarge, just playing jackrabbit until Foxtrot Charlie sends the noise. Then hopefully I’ll mop up things and be back in time for lunch”

PoultryGeist
Feb 27, 2013

Crystals?

Barter=4 | Harm=3:00 | XP ●●○○○»
Hahaha, still alive. Though a good chunk of the bugs are still kicking too. Then my AD pings, more speeders forming up. Looks like the Shrikes are gonna do a run. And as much as I’d like to get the gently caress out of here, its only for the actions of others that I’m still alive. No need to go face-first, but I can help keep them corralled in the kill-zone.

I bring Thumper around, angling to become the third leg of the Shrike-Sarge-Me triangle with the bugs stuck in the middle. Now technically, I should have a gunner doing this next bit, but I’m not going for precision here, so the rope and pulley I’ve rigged up should be fine. Aim low, fire in short controlled bursts. Die motherfuckers, die. Die motherfuckers, die. Die motherfuckers, die.

(Using Sarge’s result to move freely around the swarm, then laying down my own fire for the Major. I get +1 choice from Sarge’s LDF result.
SidekickBOT - Today at 6:52 PM
@PFC 'Sideways' Thompson (PG): 2d6+0 Lay Down Fire for Profit = (3+5)+0 = 8
-You provide supporting fire, giving another PC +1 choice to their own battle move.
-You provide suppressing fire, denying another character to move or act freely
-You take an opportune shot, inflicting harm (but -1harm) on an enemy within your
Reach. (4-harm far area messy))

PoultryGeist
Feb 27, 2013

Crystals?

Barter=4 | Harm=3:00 | XP ●●●○○»
“See, made it through the poo poo, just like I said.” I smack Rosa’s shoulder, a stupid ‘I -shouldn’t-have-survived-that’ smile on my face. But of course, things are still a little dicey. This was an unapproved op, and it doesn’t sound like the Major is super happy. And pretty much everyone who could put a serious dent in my life or tour is here. So maybe a bit of caution is in order. I angle Thumper across the battlefield, heading towards the Shrikes but making sure they aren’t between me and the firebase. Eyes peeled, ears searching the static for clues to how the winds are blowing.
SidekickBOT - Today at 6:09 PM
@PFC 'Sideways' Thompson (PG): 2d6+1 Reading the Sitch = (1+6)+1 = 8
-Where’s my best escape route?

PoultryGeist
Feb 27, 2013

Crystals?
Sideways

poo poo. I come up with a masterful plan to muddy the waters enough to not get shot and the Major just... moves on. Ordinarily I'd take the win and scurry back to the Motor Pool, but it sounds like the Major has A Plan. And maybe someone should be there that can fill Zee in on the deets. From a respectable distance.

Which is why Thumper and I are bringing up the rear of Major Profit's convoy back to Command. Ears up and ready to peel out, as whatever's going on can still go south.

PoultryGeist
Feb 27, 2013

Crystals?

Barter=4 | Harm=3:00 | XP ●●●○○»

As soon as I see the backdraft shoot out the door I’m up and out of Thumper, my brain taking shotgun to a dome-dweller’s instinctual fear of fire in enclosed spaces. I see the Major rallying the Shrikes to do what they can, but its happening too slowly. I start grabbing at anyone in the vicinity, babbling in a mixture of Anglic and Lojban, trying desperately to get them moving faster
SidekickBOT - Today at 10:44 PM
@PFC 'Sideways' Thompson (PG): 2d6-1 Helping the Major by Yelling Alot = (3+1)-1 = 3

PoultryGeist
Feb 27, 2013

Crystals?

Barter=4 | Harm=9:00 | XP ●●●○○»

Pain It cuts through the panic clogging my brain, but I can’t get this together before I fall into the crowd, jostled and shoved until I can’t tell which is where and who is what. Some animal instinct to lash out has me grasping at my sawed-off, but I override it. There’s far more of them than me, and I’d rather live to see tonight. I know the Major had the Shrike’s medics with her, but I can’t tell where they are, and it sounds like poo poo’s about to pop. And there’s the fucker with a pigsticker to consider.

Fuckit, I’m out. I’ve played good soldier-girl today, but I ain’t going to die for this bullshit. Everyone’s already looking at Crazy Ivan, time to just crawl the opposite way as quick as possible. Infirmary is close, and even if they’ve already hosed off I can score some bandages and meds.

(Eye on the Door to get out of the crowd: @PFC 'Sideways' Thompson (PG): 2d6+2 Eye on the Door to get out of the crowd = (3+3)+2 = 8
-On a 7–9, you can go or stay, but if you go it costs you: leave something behind or take something with you, the MC will tell you what.

PoultryGeist
Feb 27, 2013

Crystals?

Barter=4 | Harm=9:00 | XP ●●●○○»

Oh Holy gently caress
I was expecting some yelling, maybe a brawl. Not this clusterfucking shitshow. Its almost enough to distract me from the pain. Almost. And as much as I want to just say gently caress them all, poor Rosa doesn’t deserve to get gutted. To have her blooood draaaa….

poo poo. Almost blacked out. Gotta think fast. She’s in Thumper, but there’s no way she’s gonna stick her head out to button up. Does she know about the auto-lock? poo poo, getting too fuzzy. My link-helmet, gently caress me its still strapped to my head. Can’t access the controls without a hardline, but its still got a tight-beam multifreq radio link to the cockpit. I finagle the mouthpiece, blood making things slippery. “Listen Rosa, I’m stuck on the other side of this shitshow, and there’s some fucker with a pigsticker and a grudge wandering about in addition to the fuckholes shooting. Hit the three red toggles right in front of the hatch, it’ll close Thumper up tight and you’ll be good until this dies out. I gotta go mensi, need to deal with this blood.”

Aaand I’m done. I really hope that Rosa survives, and I say a short prayer to Zee that she’ll protect her. But I need to make sure I loving survive, its off to the Infirmary.

PoultryGeist
Feb 27, 2013

Crystals?

Barter=3 | Harm=9:00 | XP ●●●○○»

I want to shoot the fucker. I want to scream the regs and MOS’ at him. But I’m just too drat tired. I lean against the big desk Brandon is sitting behind and stare him in the eyes. I pull out a couple of PX cards and place them on the metal in front of him, and put my other hand on the butt of my sawed-off. I try to speak, but it takes a couple tries for my voice to work properly.

“Listen. I’ve had a very weird and hosed-up day, and I’m just the first of the wounded that’s going to end up here. So how’s about you take these chits, shut your goddamn mouth, and stitch me up. And once I’m not dying on your little area rug here, we can get shitfaced and debate the merits of Terran late-stage capitalism vs. Martian anarcho-syndicalism. Deal?”

giving 1-barter to Brandon, but with strings attached so that I ace the Manipulation to patch me up

PoultryGeist
Feb 27, 2013

Crystals?

Barter=3 | Harm=9:00 | XP ●●●○○»

quiggy posted:

"Sister Sideways, we're returning to Lyft. Get there if you can, but if not may my blessing sustain you. Let us know if we should wait."

“Go, and do what needs must. Rosa and I are stuck on the wrong side of this shitshow.” And then I pulse the transmit button, giving her a series of clicks over the line. And even if Mother Zee doesn’t know Martian click-code, there are several of us in the Family that could hear or that she has been inside the head of. Caution. Hunter. Hidden.

PoultryGeist
Feb 27, 2013

Crystals?

Barter=2 | Harm=6:00 | XP ●●●●○»

gently caress, everything is so goddamned fuzzy. At least my side isn’t on fire and I can breathe through my nose again. Been? poo poo, that’s Been crooning at me. I rattle the restraints a bit, but they’ve been done good. I try and focus on Been’s face, forcing his words to cut through the haze.

poo poo

Normally I would give the fucker what he needed, Mother Zee might forgive me since she knows what its like to do things to survive. But even in the Motor Pool, I’ve heard the scuttle about Profit and Been butting heads. And now she is probably the honcho now, so helping Been would be crossing the Major. You don’t cross the Major, not if you don’t want your heart ripped out through your rear end in a top hat. But he’s got me good here, need to figure something out.

“W-water.” My lips are cracked and my throat is parched, so the pathetic warble in my voice isn’t acting. But it will hopefully buy me a little time, as I look over this part of the Pleasure Dome hoping for something to help me.

@PFC 'Sideways' Thompson (PG): 2d6+1 Reading the Sitch in the Pleasure Dome = (6+2)+1 = 9
-Where’s my best escape route

I also pay 1-barter for lifestyle, ‘cause they aren’t going to find all my poo poo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PoultryGeist
Feb 27, 2013

Crystals?

Barter=2 | Harm=6:00 | XP ●●●●○»

I see the desperation in his eyes and realize that I don’t have to actually give him the goods on Mama Zee, I just have to give him something. “Yeah, Zee is definitely looking for an ally in this power struggle slash shitshow that’s brewing. And if you’re willing to let us be us and you be you, well you’ve got my vote.” I look down at the restraints and rattle them dramatically. “Although this isn’t a good look. I can pitch your deal to Zee much better if I’m in the free and clear, she’d know if you’ve got me locked down. And she’d definitely not share any of her juicy bug intel if I was under duress. A gesture of goodwill goes a long ways these days.”

I’ve blown better smoke up people’s asses, but I think Been really wants to believe Mama Zee can save him. And who knows maybe she will, Zee moves in mysterious ways. But that’s between her and Been, and I’ll tell him about anything to get out of here and into Thumper.

(Eye On The Door: my escape is to tell Been that Zee will definitely be his Lady and Savior, yesirreebob.
@PFC 'Sideways' Thompson (PG): 2d6+3 Eye on the Door to escape Been (+1 from RtS) = (1+6)+3 = 10. I’m gone.)

• Locked thread