Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

cda posted:

James loving Brown

Dude didn't do poo poo but sell an image and heavily exploit his musicians.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Les Os
Mar 29, 2010
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-VGGNzjTga4

Genderfluent
Jul 15, 2015

Revolver and Rubber Soul are the only good albums IMO

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
hey!

abbey road's alright

cosmicjim
Mar 23, 2010
VISIT THE STICKIED GOON HOLIDAY CHARITY DRIVE THREAD IN GBS.

Goons are changing the way children get an education in Haiti.

Edit - Oops, no they aren't. They donated to doobie instead.
The Beatles absolutely started out as a manufactured product, but grew past that. The Rolling Stones were practically a blues cover band when they came out. Also, Paul Mcartney was still accomplishes outside of the Beatles.

MixMastaTJ
Dec 14, 2017

Carmant posted:

I've never met anyone who actively listens to the beatles either aside from one dweeby college music professor I had. He even made us sign a piece of paper that said the beatles were the greatest band of all time and if we didnt we would fail the class lol. Maybe thats why I dont like them

This sounds like some sort of God's Not Dead fanfic.

facebook jihad
Dec 18, 2007

by R. Guyovich
I think it’s safe to say anyone who has decent taste should respect and like the Beatles; however, if the Beatles are your favorite band in 2017, then you have very boring taste and are probably a very boring person.

Otto Von Jizzmark
Dec 27, 2004
Ive always hated the beatles and their terrible music. They suck and im sick of hearing their crappy songs and seeing their ugly stupid faces everywhere i go.

spinderella
Jul 15, 2017

by FactsAreUseless

Otto Von Jizzmark posted:

Ive always hated the beatles and their terrible music. They suck and im sick of hearing their crappy songs and seeing their ugly stupid faces everywhere i go.

Where do you still hear their songs?
I never do and forget about them for like years at a time practically.

Skeleton Ape
Dec 21, 2008

The true and very simple answer was that they discovered weed immediately after recording Help. When they shot the movie they were constantly high as hell and the people making it were fairly frustrated about having to herd a bunch of stoned cats all day, lol

MixMastaTJ
Dec 14, 2017

facebook jihad posted:

I think it’s safe to say anyone who has decent taste should respect and like the Beatles; however, if the Beatles are your favorite band in 2017, then you have very boring taste and are probably a very boring person.

Honestly, they're like musical vanilla. Bear in mind, there was a time before vanilla was used in cooking and it paved the way for much better stuff. Your favorite flavor probably shouldn't be vanilla but also hating vanilla feels like being contrarian for no good reason, unless you also hate all music made since the 60s.

Omnitrix
Aug 14, 2008

Jacob likes air cooled VW's

Skeleton Ape posted:

The true and very simple answer was that they discovered weed immediately after recording Help. When they shot the movie they were constantly high as hell and the people making it were fairly frustrated about having to herd a bunch of stoned cats all day, lol

"Got to Get You Into My Life" is about how much Paul loves weed. I used to hate that song then discovered its origin...

facebook jihad
Dec 18, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Omnitrix posted:

"Got to Get You Into My Life" is about how much Paul loves weed. I used to hate that song then discovered its origin...

It’s true. Paul also got killed in that car accident because he was driving while really stoned.

Omnitrix
Aug 14, 2008

Jacob likes air cooled VW's

facebook jihad posted:

It’s true. Paul also got killed in that car accident because he was driving while really stoned.

No but hes been arrested for weed possession a bunch of times, including the infamous Japan incident. My favorite is when he got busted in LA and said it was Linda's so they wouldn't deport him. She took the rap for that one.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Omnitrix posted:

"Fixing a Hole" is also about how much Paul loves weed.

Bodyholes
Jun 30, 2005

The Beatles were great for their time; in fact they were better for their time than any pop band has been for its respective time since, and they laid the groundwork for many artists to perfect upon since then.

No each of their albums as a whole hasn't stood the test of time that well. And yes there were better jazz artists around the same time, and a few bands got started just as the Beatles were winding down which would go on to produce some better music of their own. That doesn't diminish what the Beatles achieved because contemporary white music was a black hole of culture and creativity in the 50s and early 60s until the Beatles showed up and injected life into it.

As for the Beach Boys, yes Pet Sounds is better than any Beatles album. Most of their albums flat out suck though. You can find a few other rival artists with one great album and a bunch of crap ones. That's nothing special, but their rivalry did contribute so I'll give them kudos for it.

Bodyholes fucked around with this message at 20:52 on Dec 14, 2017

Auritech
May 27, 2004

Blessed be the tailors
The masks are cut to fit

Blessed be the woodworkers
The crosses and the gallows

Blessed be the forgers of iron
And the spikes and the barbwire

Blessed be the stone cutters
It took a quarry to bury the dreams
I’m one of those weirdos who thinks the best band of the 60s was the Velvet Underground but as I get older I’m more ok with the Beatles

Also I love Tomorrow Never Knows all day every day

Secular Humanist
Mar 1, 2016

by Smythe

paul_soccer10 posted:

Henry Ford Jr pushed beatlemania in America to keep white youths away from negro music which he thought was a Jewish conspiracy

Beatles are insanely overrated and were from start to finish manufactured and packaged for bland dumbasses and John Lennon was an avowed racist

lol @ this

good thing? it's actually bad

Genderfluent
Jul 15, 2015

Omnitrix posted:

No but hes been arrested for weed possession a bunch of times, including the infamous Japan incident. My favorite is when he got busted in LA and said it was Linda's so they wouldn't deport him. She took the rap for that one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VNa18cpMHWE

Secular Humanist
Mar 1, 2016

by Smythe
here there and everywhere was paul mccartney trying to one-up brian wilson when the beach boys released god only knows, which paul has called the most beautiful song ever written

sigh i sure wish we still lived in a time when insanely talented musicians were trying to out-genius eachother

Secular Humanist
Mar 1, 2016

by Smythe

FogHelmut posted:

kinda agree. his band was fuckin unreal though.

facebook jihad
Dec 18, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Auritech posted:

I’m one of those weirdos who thinks the best band of the 60s was the Velvet Underground but as I get older I’m more ok with the Beatles

Also I love Tomorrow Never Knows all day every day

I agree that VU owned, but they weren’t nearly as accessible as the Beatles.

Also the older I get the harder it is to listen to White Light/White Heat. Give me the self titled third album any day over that.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Secular Humanist posted:

here there and everywhere was paul mccartney trying to one-up brian wilson when the beach boys released god only knows, which paul has called the most beautiful song ever written

sigh i sure wish we still lived in a time when insanely talented musicians were trying to out-genius eachother

definitely also about weed

quote:

I want her everywhere and if she's beside me
I know I need never care
But to love her is to need her everywhere
Knowing that love is to share

cda
Jan 2, 2010

by Hand Knit

Carmant posted:

The fact that so many books still name the Beatles as "the greatest or most significant or most influential" rock band ever only tells you how far rock music still is from becoming a serious art. Jazz critics have long recognized that the greatest jazz musicians of all times are Duke Ellington and John Coltrane, who were not the most famous or richest or best sellers of their times, let alone of all times. Classical critics rank the highly controversial Beethoven over classical musicians who were highly popular in courts around Europe. Rock critics are still blinded by commercial success. The Beatles sold more than anyone else (not true, by the way), therefore they must have been the greatest. Jazz critics grow up listening to a lot of jazz music of the past, classical critics grow up listening to a lot of classical music of the past. Rock critics are often totally ignorant of the rock music of the past, they barely know the best sellers. No wonder they will think that the Beatles did anything worthy of being saved. In a sense, the Beatles are emblematic of the status of rock criticism as a whole: too much attention paid to commercial phenomena (be it grunge or U2) and too little to the merits of real musicians. If somebody composes the most divine music but no major label picks him up and sells him around the world, a lot of rock critics will ignore him. If a major label picks up a musician who is as stereotyped as can be but launches her or him worldwide, your average critic will waste rivers of ink on her or him. This is the sad status of rock criticism: rock critics are basically publicists working for major labels, distributors and record stores. They simply highlight what product the music business wants to make money from. Hopefully, one not-too-distant day, there will be a clear demarcation between a great musician like Tim Buckley, who never sold much, and commercial products like the Beatles. At such a time, rock critics will study their rock history and understand which artists accomplished which musical feat, and which simply exploited it commercially. Beatles' "Aryan" music removed any trace of black music from rock and roll. It replaced syncopated African rhythm with linear Western melody, and lusty negro attitudes with cute white-kid smiles. Contemporary musicians never spoke highly of the Beatles, and for good reason. They could never figure out why the Beatles' songs should be regarded more highly than their own. They knew that the Beatles were simply lucky to become a folk phenomenon (thanks to "Beatlemania", which had nothing to do with their musical merits). That phenomenon kept alive interest in their (mediocre) musical endeavours to this day. Nothing else grants the Beatles more attention than, say, the Kinks or the Rolling Stones. There was nothing intrinsically better in the Beatles' music. Ray Davies of the Kinks was certainly a far better songwriter than Lennon & McCartney. The Stones were certainly much more skilled musicians than the 'Fab Four'. And Pete Townshend was a far more accomplished composer, capable of entire operas such as "Tommy" and "Quadrophenia"; not to mention the far greater British musicians who followed them in subsequent decades or the US musicians themselves who initially spearheaded what the Beatles merely later repackaged to the masses.

"If the cop honestly felt that this was a young black man (as politically incorrect as it sounds, this is the most violent category of people in the USA) aiming a gun at him, the cop can hardly be blamed for shooting first." - The same guy that wrote the thing you quoted.

cda
Jan 2, 2010

by Hand Knit

FogHelmut posted:

You're insane. His singing is amazing.

cda
Jan 2, 2010

by Hand Knit
Also, he's in the top tier of frontmen, but I guess live performance doesn't have anything to do with being a musician.

facebook jihad
Dec 18, 2007

by R. Guyovich

cda posted:

"If the cop honestly felt that this was a young black man (as politically incorrect as it sounds, this is the most violent category of people in the USA) aiming a gun at him, the cop can hardly be blamed for shooting first." - The same guy that wrote the thing you quoted.

I think that was posted as a joke

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

cda posted:

You're insane. His singing is amazing.

*grunts* huh yeah *grunts* get on the foot floor waaah oh yeah

*band completely carries him* *band puts a cape on him and literally carries him*

cda posted:

Also, he's in the top tier of frontmen, but I guess live performance doesn't have anything to do with being a musician.

yeah you can have that

cda
Jan 2, 2010

by Hand Knit

FogHelmut posted:

*grunts* huh yeah *grunts* get on the foot floor waaah oh yeah

*band completely carries him*

yeah you can have that

Hey, dip poo poo, listen to this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rFG4J1wi5fY

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe
The Beatles were merely ok, OP

cda
Jan 2, 2010

by Hand Knit
He was also an incredible showman. Post the best Beatles live performance of all time and it will pale in comparison to just about any James Brown concert you can mention. You'd rather be at Shea Stadium than watching this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nT_Fi7QTaQo

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

cda posted:

Hey, dip poo poo, listen to this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rFG4J1wi5fY

1962 he was barely becoming known

now go to the mid 60's and on and post things where he's mumbling incoherently while his band invents a new genre of music

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe
Who can forget the electrifying performance of a morose and drugged out John Lennon and his wailing banshee side show

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

someone back this up with Bootsy Collins, see if I'm right

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HdZ9weP5i68

Dave Concepcion
Mar 19, 2012

ElGroucho posted:

Who can forget the electrifying performance of a morose and drugged out John Lennon and his wailing banshee side show

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V2i9RvBOSZ4

cda
Jan 2, 2010

by Hand Knit

FogHelmut posted:

1962 he was barely becoming known

now go to the mid 60's and on and post things where he's mumbling incoherently while his band invents a new genre of music

1967 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=unHB2-U074c

cda
Jan 2, 2010

by Hand Knit

Post any Beatles performance that's as good as this.

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

James Brown sucks

spinderella
Jul 15, 2017

by FactsAreUseless

Rubellavator posted:

James Brown sucks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

cda posted:

Post any Beatles performance that's as good as this.

You could take any band and find better performances than the beatles. Their best stuff is experimenting in the studio, that's part of what makes them remarkable for their era. They also couldn't tour after a while because of screaming fans.

• Locked thread