Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bad Titty Puker
Nov 3, 2007
Soiled Meat
it totally has that kind of wankishness that ppl who don't like the Beatles talk about

like so many of their songs, it's not about anything, it doesn't mean anything

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tupacalypse
Jan 1, 2013

by Pragmatica
trout mask replica is the greatest rock album of all time

Julius CSAR
Oct 3, 2007

by sebmojo

cda posted:

Also, he's in the top tier of frontmen, but I guess live performance doesn't have anything to do with being a musician.

Plus Rocky IV I mean come on

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

george harrison was kind of a nutjob but he 100% wrote the best songs on the beatles albums

Omnitrix
Aug 14, 2008

Jacob likes air cooled VW's

basic hitler posted:

george harrison was kind of a nutjob but he 100% wrote the best songs on the beatles albums

What’s nutty about him?

basic hitler posted:

Besides the Krishna stuff why do you say this?

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

Its the krishna poo poo

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

tupacalypse posted:

Omnitrix
Aug 14, 2008

basic hitler posted:

Its the krishna poo poo

Outside of the Krishana poo poo, he was a pretty chill dude who liked race cars. Check out the Scorsese doc on him that came out a few years ago. "Living in the Material World"

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

I have it. It leans pretty heavy into his spirituality which i can only summarize as gross hippie poo poo

Jim Barris
Aug 13, 2009
To me The Beatles are musical oatmeal, rarely offensive to the palette but not particularly exciting either.

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack
the beatles are boring af

Secular Humanist
Mar 1, 2016

by Smythe
lol what a bunch of bad opinions. the beatles entire catalogue has like 4 bad songs you doofuses.

also trout mask replica is charlatan dog poo poo. oooo look at how weird this is! zany zany. anyone can do that. not a single good melody or arrangement or relatable lyric just a big dumpster fire.

and gently caress frank zappa.

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack
zappa is also boring af

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

the stones out-and-out suck

pastis
Aug 1, 2004

Ouzo is for louzos
I’m the guy who exclusively listens to The Beatles Channel on Sirius in 2017. No shame.

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

bob dylan and jimi hendrix were derivative hacks

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

the monkees ruled

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

fight me

Omnitrix
Aug 14, 2008

basic hitler posted:

I have it. It leans pretty heavy into his spirituality which i can only summarize as gross hippie poo poo

He shunned a lot of the weird Krishna stuff and took a lot of heat from them for not shaving his head and proselytizing at air ports but they gladly took his cash donations. Next to Ringo he's the most "human" of the Beatles

cda
Jan 2, 2010

by Hand Knit

OMGVBFLOL posted:

bob dylan and jimi hendrix were derivative hacks

lol I like your style kid

cda
Jan 2, 2010

by Hand Knit
Anyway I think people already gave the answer, which is that help was made for a movie and rubber soul was made because they wanted to make some music

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

Omnitrix posted:

He shunned a lot of the weird Krishna stuff and took a lot of heat from them for not shaving his head and proselytizing at air ports but they gladly took his cash donations. Next to Ringo he's the most "human" of the Beatles

George was looking for God and he took the long and stupid road due to his fixed conception of what christianity is and must be.

Oh well we got some drat good music out of it.

facebook jihad
Dec 18, 2007

by R. Guyovich

cda posted:

Anyway I think people already gave the answer, which is that help was made for a movie and rubber soul was made because they wanted to make some music

Yeah this is it. Plus Rubber Soul was their first album where they able to stay at the studio for a prolonged time instead of taking breaks for touring engagements.

I knew there was an album before Rubber Soul that was significant for having a change in tone due to their weariness of touring. I thought it was Help! But it was Beatles for Sale. My bad.

Bedlamdan
Apr 25, 2008
:( when I read the title I thought we were going to talk about JoJo's Bizarre Adventure

Peanut Butter
Nov 7, 2011

Wee mannie

Bedlamdan posted:

:( when I read the title I thought we were going to talk about JoJo's Bizarre Adventure

shame there's nowhere else on the internet to talk about weeaboo garbage:smuggo:

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe

tupacalypse posted:

My buddy and I are super into music and music theory. Every 5 years or so we dig this one out and give it a few good listens. We still don't get it. The emperor might actually be naked, here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xiorncOFpcg

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

Damo posted:

OK obvious troll attempt name me a band who is supremely better than the beatles at the time of help or rubber soul. I say supremely since the beatles were trash, so bottom tier right.

the kinks bitdh

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

Drunk Nerds posted:

My buddy and I are super into music and music theory. Every 5 years or so we dig this one out and give it a few good listens. We still don't get it. The emperor might actually be naked, here:

Try these 2 in isolation:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9gZULn9R2Dk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r6mzoso95-Q

PTSDeedly Do
Nov 24, 2014

VOID-DOME LOSER 2020

I’m drunk

I don’t mean to imply anything about any other of the canonical and non canonical British Invasion artists

What I mean to suggest is compare the worst track on help, which is clearly the terrible cover dizzy miss lizzy, to the worst track on rubber soul, the misguided but intriguing run for your life

PTSDeedly Do
Nov 24, 2014

VOID-DOME LOSER 2020

Same goes for American artists. Lot of great people and groups beyond the scope of
this thread

PTSDeedly Do
Nov 24, 2014

VOID-DOME LOSER 2020

also George Harrison best beatLE gently caress John lennon

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!

PTSDeedly Do posted:

to the worst track on rubber soul, the misguided but intriguing run for your life

I think I brought up in another thread how something like Run For Your Life can go through a transformation from seen as universally misogynistic to almost female empowerment or 'redeeming the song' through just a change in singer.

Consider this version of Run For Your Life
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zfKtIiB5doc

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

PTSDeedly Do posted:

also George Harrison best beatLE gently caress John lennon

the wrong two beatles died first imo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

biglads
Feb 21, 2007

I could've gone to Blatherwycke

The beatles were just a small part of the journey to the glory of the Electric Light Orchestra, op

• Locked thread