Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

A time-honored tradition, scoring games, from the quaint old days of Quad-Score EGM reviews all the way up to the mass Review Bombing of our present moment.

All discussion is allowed, spoiler tags if you feel like it. Use whatever scoring metric you'd like. As a personal habit I'm not scoring things I bounced off of, but I leave that decision up to y'all. I have a habit of scoring the singleplayer and multiplayer separately, since some games ended up being big multiplayer hits for me even with average singleplayer. Personally, this is kind of a prep zone for my SA GOTY posts.

------

Gang Beasts - sp n/a ; mp 80/100

Hard to say why this game took so long to release since it barely seems any different from the early access beta I played 4 years ago. Was surprised to see that it has online multiplayer, and the netcode is as janky as the rest of the game. All that said, and buggy jank aside, there's something to be said for how erratic and fun Gang Beasts can be, mostly during local multi but also online. It's bound to make you laugh your rear end off every time you play, which might help reduce the shock of such a blatantly unfinished indie game being released at $20. Would love to seem this patched a bit, but for now it's a perfect one to play with friends when you're just trying to relax.

Persona 5 - sp 88/100

Incredibly fulfilling story though a fairly linear experience overall; the balance and integration between social aspects and palace crawling is impeccable, and the thematic designs of the dungeons are incredibly cool and varied. Add an awesome soundtrack, beautifully styled menus/transitions, and some of the best turn-based JRPG combat ever and it's hard to deny that other rpgs could learn a thing or two from the developers of this game. The exploration of the very strict social structure in Japan is handled in a way that is both appropriately mundane and incredibly timely. 150+ hours of great gameplay here.

others -

Observer - sp 70/100
Sonic Mania - sp 91/100 mp n/a
Inside - sp 86/100
Tekken 7 - sp n/a ; mp 81/100
Overcooked! sp n/a ; mp 90/100
The Last Guardian - sp 96/100
Final Fantasy XV (vanilla) - sp 82/100
Titanfall 2 - sp 87/100 ; mp 94/100
Uncharted: The Lost Legacy - sp 85/100 ; mp n/a
Uncharted 4: A Thief's End - sp 89/100 ; mp 75/100
Mirror's Edge: Catalyst - sp 91/100
Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain - sp 72/100 ; mp n/a
Dark Souls 3 - sp 88/100 mp n/a
DS3: Ashes of Ariandel - sp 90/100
DS3: The Ringed City - sp 83/100
The Last of Us: Remastered - sp 95/100 ; mp 94/100
Alien: Isolation - sp 89/100
SOMA - sp 93/100
Tomb Raider - sp 82/100 ; mp n/a
Tricky Towers - sp 55/100 ; mp 84/100
Valiant Hearts: The Great War - sp 80/100
Bro Force - sp 60/100 ; mp 86/100
Helldivers - sp n/a ; mp 85/100
Rocket League - sp n/a ; mp 88/100
Spelunky - sp 83/100
Fez - sp 86/100
Strider - sp 88/100
Pix the Cat - sp 79/100
Don't Starve (vanilla) - sp 76/100
Hotline Miami - sp 87/100
Downwell - sp 69/100

Only registered members can see post attachments!

BeanpolePeckerwood fucked around with this message at 21:28 on Aug 22, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011
good thread concept

the last game i played was heroes of might and magic 3, which i'm going to give an extremely accurate 89/100. it's one of the most unique strategy games i've ever played, even compared to other games in the same series, because of how broken magic is. most games try to have some semblance of balance between offensive options and defensive options, but heroes 3 completely trashed defensive play with the introduction of the spells Town Gate and Dimension Door, which allow a sufficiently leveled hero to travel the length of even the largest map sizes in a single turn. this turns the late game in big maps into total chaos, with all of the remaining players having gigantically overpowered heroes that can take multiple castles per day. you have to whittle them down with gimmicks like sending weak heroes in just to cast armageddon and then run away dozens of times, or capturing key enemy castles on the first day of a week just to buy out their stock and deprive them of resources.

playing against the AI is fun because although there are plenty of ways to exploit bad AI decisionmaking, it's possible to stack the odds hugely against yourself to keep the challenge up. all in all it's greatly fun but i wish it had come out a bit later with a way to set up online games more easily

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

Downwell - sp 69/100
downwell was pretty short but that still seems like a low score to me, i found it to be really well designed for what it was

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Venuz Patrol posted:

downwell was pretty short but that still seems like a low score to me, i found it to be really well designed for what it was

I actually like the execution quite a bit, but I just couldn't latch onto it the way I did with Binding of Isaac. Maybe it's just a bit too spare for my taste.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

I think Games should have a Film Dump style subforum for game reviews.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

super sweet best pal posted:

I think Games should have a Film Dump style subforum for game reviews.

eeehhhhh, that's more of a Shelbyville idea...

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

NieR: Automata - sp 93/100 mp n/a

Route A thru E

Loved nearly everything here, the overgrown environments, incredible animation, and the darkly comedic (yet sympathetic) writing, not to mention the world-class score. The game attempts to subvert traditional videogame mechanics, thematic tropes, and narrative trends at every turn...and the art and music ingredients are so potent that the acts of subversion come together like an incredible book of intersecting short stories based around a central theme. Few games so fully employ their resources with such ambition, heart, humility, and self-searching. An absolute gem of this console era.

Now to replay on hard. :supaburn:

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

Titanfall 2 - sp 87/100 ; mp 94/100

no need to elaborate but goddamn this reminds me how great tf2's multiplayer was / is. was obsessed with it for a good long while, zipping around from building to building like a maniac.

finished with the christmas break so heres some Switch games i have played a lot of in the last month:

Overcooked - sp N/A mp 85/100
Doom - sp 95/100 mp 60/100
Enter the Gungeon - sp 75/100 mp 80/100
Tallowmere - sp N/A mp 80/100
Splatoon 2 - sp 75/100 mp 99/100

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
A good thread idea! (I will do games I have finished because I try so many so much of the time nowadays that I would be bogged down)

Steamworld Dig 2
The is the last completed game of 2017 for me. I thought Steamworld Dig 1 was very charming and clicked with me well. The sequel does exactly the same. It takes the original ideas of the first and expands, essentially giving me more of what I wanted when I had finished the previous game!

The music is ace (I love the track that plays in the main hub) and I was totally engaged about learning what had happened to Rusty (the protagonist of the first).

Visually it is lovely and bright and shiny. Mechanically it controls flawlessly and whenever anything went wrong it was due to me and not the game.

I am still left wanting more!

Rating: G4F5

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

If we are gonna have this thread i demand we use videogames rating system of GxFx please update the op thank you.

Mario odyssey G5F5
Cuphead G5F3
Steamworld dig 2 G4F4

Had to dock swd2 a fun point cause the combat is kinda clunky

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Real hurthling! posted:

If we are gonna have this thread i demand we use videogames rating system of GxFx please update the op thank you.

People can use the rating system of their choice. I'm curious about your take on Cuphead though.

alf_pogs posted:

no need to elaborate but goddamn this reminds me how great tf2's multiplayer was / is. was obsessed with it for a good long while, zipping around from building to building like a maniac.

Yeah, even without the myriad level styles I would play a 6-12 hour game of the gameplay loop in The Beacon chapter, which I guess was their original vertical slice. The fact that there is so much variety in the end almost feels like showing off. It's amazing.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
The last game I finished was a replay of Ghost Trick.

9 cats out of 10. 8 humans out of 10. 9 ghosts out of 10. 11 dogs out of 10.

I hope this rating scheme catches on.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Cup head is very well made game G5
Cup head is frustrating in a number of ways that make it less fun than other similar games F3

For instance:

the parry mechanic has too much risk for the reward. The timing is unforgiving in a way that gets you hit a lot and the rebound is extreme with no iframes. Meter builds plenty fast without parrying so i found myself skipping it in fights after fulfilling the bonus scoring requirement

The foreground obscures a lot of action in several fights leading to bullshit damage.

The flying levels feel like rear end if you have played good shmups before. You cant bring your loadout into the flying levels either they should have stuck to the main gameplay mode: this goes also for the run and gun levels. They arent fun and all you get is money for upgrades that dont really feel that essential aside from smoke bomb

The penultimate boss fight is ruined by like 7 loading screens that dont exist in any other fight and it spoils a cool moment right before a pitifully easy final boss.

Regular difficulty is only challenging (for me) in one or two fights and by the time i unlocked expert i was bored of the game and also dont want to play the robot flying level ever again with the bad shmup controls

At this point im too far into ragging on nitpicks to back peddle but i enjoyed the game and i think its worth its price even though i waited for a sale.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Yeah, I was getting the impression from people talking that the, I dunno what to call it, 'gamefeel'...or maybe just the response time of the controls and timing of animations doesn't always gel with all the background stuff, which basically causes unnecessary frustration in an already difficult game.

Still a hell of a good time to watch.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

it plays real well aside from just those parts.

The Lobster
Sep 3, 2011

Massive
Avian
Rear
Images

The last game I played (taking this literally) that wasn't on my phone was Mario Kart 8 Deluxe.

As someone who has been playing Mario Kart since the 90s with MK 64 I think this is easily the best Mario Kart ever. The course selection is incredibly varied and considering it contains all the DLC from the Wii U it's great. Three different Rainbow Roads to choose from! (My boyfriend doesn't like Rainbow Road but gently caress him.) There are a ton of racers too and they've fixed the battle mode. Basically this is the number one best local multiplayer game on the Switch. I've played a ton of it but a cheaty thing to do is to make the game play itself to unlock things if you are sad and lonely and only see your P2 a few times a week. (Or if you don't have a P2.) Thanks to smart steering and auto acceleration and automatically having two joy-cons, you too can cheat your way to unlocking all the parts! Smart steering and auto acceleration are also great if you have young offspring or nieces and nephews to entertain.

Overall I give it a 94/100. I don't know what MP and SP stand for.

The last game I played on my phone was Animal Crossing Pocket Camp!

This game is a fun time waster for anybody that loves Animal Crossing and will be completely boring to anybody who doesn't. You can set your own goals like trying to make a creepy murder camp or get all the seasonal items before they expire but there's really nothing telling you what to do. It's nice that the game just throws the premium cash at you so you don't have to shell out if you don't want to but you may find yourself accidentally spending it to complete an item or something when you have insufficient materials because the game is not very clear about stopping you from doing that. Completing all the requests can be boring or it can be relaxing, it really just depends on what kind of person you are and if you like Animal Crossing. It does have some neat ideas like Honey and Fishing Nets which I would like to see incorporated into the next full version of the game but in the end you are just left hoping that Nintendo announces that version very soon!

73/100

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

People are supposed to get hurt by things. It's fucked up to not. It's not good for you.
Monolith

It's Binding of Isaac if it leaned way harder on its shmup inspirations and was much more reasonably balanced. Worth many kinds of punts.

8/10

i can't wait to provide all of my extremely awful hot takes as I formulate them

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

I have destroyed more of your kind than I can count.

Ooh, a review thread. I've gotten super into writing reviews over the last few years, and I've got a website and a curation group on Steam for the hundreds I've written. It looks like this thread is more for short ratings so I'll drop those in here when I do new reviews, and link to the wordy bits if folks feel like reading. I don't actually like rating systems but I used a 5-point one on my site just so it's easier for people to search by quality. Here's one I posted today:

Dragon Sinker - A retro JRPG that tries to imitate the original Final Fantasy without fully understanding what was good about it

Excellent - Good - Ok - [Bad] - Awful

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
Destiny 2 - It's boring and stupid and the guns suck and the shooting is bad and the enemies are brainless. at one point i stood by a flag that told me to wait there then some other dudes showed up then aliens got there and we shot them. i died a bunch but kept coming back. the entire intro scene was heinous and the next section was on a collapsed bridge superstructure which might have been cool if I hadn't just played that level except a million times better in Wolfenstein. this game is trash. 3/10.

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

SaGa Frontier A lot of you know this game by now. All the bizarre, arcane, unknowable mechanics of SaGa all in a package that needed to be Frankensteined to stitch up all the holes where the budget bailed. Charming and engrossing in ways only SaGa can be but with a load of problems that make it very hard to recommend to anybody. The embodiment of 'flawed gem' 55/100

Star Traders: Frontiers A forerunner in the 'fly around and trade things from planet to planet' genre, this early access game is the exact kind of thing that can consume the lives of people that hear its call. It's biggest flaw is that it feels like a game where you have to take notes because the game is terrible at letting you access the information you need at the time you need. 78/100

Seventh Arrow
Jan 26, 2005

The Walrus posted:

Destiny 2 - It's boring and stupid and the guns suck and the shooting is bad and the enemies are brainless. at one point i stood by a flag that told me to wait there then some other dudes showed up then aliens got there and we shot them. i died a bunch but kept coming back. the entire intro scene was heinous and the next section was on a collapsed bridge superstructure which might have been cool if I hadn't just played that level except a million times better in Wolfenstein. this game is trash. 3/10.

Isn't also supposed to be super grindy?

Huzzah!
Sep 15, 2007

Malnutrition is scarier than any beastie.
West of Loathing - a mix of adventure game and RPG and it does both parts quite well. If you played and enjoyed Kingdom of Loathing, you'll like this. It also has pretty challenging puzzles, at least for my feeble primitive brain, that thankfully are optional.
37 skeletons out of 11.

That rounds out to about 4 / 5

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

O Muhammad, I seek your intercession with my Lord for the return of my eyesight
dota 2: 0/100

Tiberius Thyben
Feb 7, 2013

Gone Phishing

Omnibus - A game where you try to complete various tasks while driving a slowly accelerating bus with no brakes. Possibly the greatest game ever made.

11/10

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames

SuccinctAndPunchy posted:

Monolith

It's Binding of Isaac if it leaned way harder on its shmup inspirations and was much more reasonably balanced. Worth many kinds of punts.

8/10

i can't wait to provide all of my extremely awful hot takes as I formulate them

oh man, BoI without the constant poop and pee and child abuse? added to the wishlist.

Fortnite (PvE): the shooting is okay. the base-building rarely ever feels worth it since you need to build traps out of things you find in the environment, and you don't get 'em refunded at the end of a map. the only time i find myself using traps is at my storm shield, which is a persistent area you return to for fighting more husks. the p2w stuff is a little :/, the systems of leveling up your characters is arbitrary and overcomplicated (it's like the sphere grid in FF10 but without anything fun or nuanced), the devs seem to have given up on it and made their own stupid loving pubg. i don't care about pvp usually so i bet it's fine. the story is okay. glad i bought it on sale. you should wait for it to be actually f2p, or just download pubg if you like lameass ffa modes. 4/10

v: nioh is a game about being a huge otaku but doing something about it

Bogart fucked around with this message at 05:47 on Jan 6, 2018

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

You should play Nioh if you've got the soul of a samurai but if your bushido is wack go back to the hagakure.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

Huzzah! posted:

West of Loathing - a mix of adventure game and RPG and it does both parts quite well. If you played and enjoyed Kingdom of Loathing, you'll like this. It also has pretty challenging puzzles, at least for my feeble primitive brain, that thankfully are optional.
37 skeletons out of 11.

That rounds out to about 4 / 5

I remember trying to do Kingdom of Loathing with no spoilers and getting stuck somewhere around the ancient temple, are they more difficult than in KoL?

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
Pyre: 8.5/10

Pyre is a yet another masterpiece out of Supergiant Games, creators of Bastion and Transistor. Where Transistor stumbled in a few key areas and seemed a disappointment to the studio, Pyre seems like a celebration of everything that they do well. With hand-drawn landscapes with branching paths to choose from that bring to life the strange world you find yourself trapped within to the amazing music and the tense, choices-focused gameplay that forces you to truly decide what matters most to you, Pyre hooks you in and keeps holding on. It stays true until the end.

It is hurt by some jank with its gameplay -- I had some frame sputters during a climactic Rite and the "battle system" has a few quirks and clunky aspects that hurt it some. As is typical, the game seems to have used up all its ideas just as it is ending, but I feel like the system could have been given more depth or stripped of some existing depth to create a more streamlined experience. As it stands, it feels like something is missing.

I would love to get posters of some of the Rite arenas, the artwork here is top-notch though. This was a game I regretted waiting on and would gladly pay the full $20 for.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

I usually play the most obscure poo poo out there, but someone gave me a copy of South Park: The Fractured but Hole for Christmas. It has better combat than the first game, though it could still use more options. The story isn't as fun as the previous game but it did have a pretty good subquest with some bite to it where you assist the police with some shady characters ("You know what shade I mean."). The crafting system in the game is a huge turn off; both shallow and annoying. Overall, it's not bad but not something I'd really recommend to people either. I'd rate it e-.5/1 .

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Use your words, my child. :redass:

comatose
Nov 23, 2005

Lipstick Apathy
Rise of the Tomb Raider

Pretty solid sequel to the reboot. Decent enough story with some good lore tidbits and otherwordly stuff (especially towards the end). Very combat heavy which I think is a detriment to the series however the bow is dope as hell and I had a great time stealth killing baddies with it also the shotgun is ridiculously good and really satisfying to use. My only major gripe is that it needed more tomb puzzle areas as I think there is only 9 of them and maybe half of them are actually large challenging ones.

Overall I'd give it 8 polygon boobs out of 10.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

They Are Billions!

Very fun and challenging procedurally generated zombie defense RTS. Not a typical tower defense, more like a WC3 custom map where you build a larger and larger economy in order to defend against ever-increasing amounts of enemies (in this game, zombies). It's almost a roguelike experience, and it is incredibly difficult, and I am a pretty great RTS player and I have yet to beat the first map. Each map is procedurally generated and when you hit certain populations you get randomized bonuses. The enemies' distribution is also randomized.

The problem is that the challenge ramps up exponentially near the end of the game. With a game taking 2-4 hours, it's very frustrating doing almost everything right the entire time and having a minor fault in your sprawling base wind up making you lose. There are minor bugs but I believe it's in early access even if it's otherwise feature complete. Needs some balancing, for sure. Still, it feels like a loss is only your fault which is what you want out of a challenging game.

I give it 8 goofy steampunk things out of 10.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

Real hurthling! posted:

I appreciate you liking my rating system so much! :)

Dead Island
Rating: G2F5

Dead Island is an often maligned game and for a very good reason. While I did not play it during the time of release, looking back over that period was a time saturated by zombie games. Not only zombie games, but sprawling open world games with meaningless fetch quests used to pad out the number of hours you would spend playing a game.

Dead Island is a game that falls into this category quite succinctly and while for most people I can absolutely get why you would not want to play such a game. It is derivative and perhaps a little rote. It has quite a samey feel across the enemies and the crafting/weapon degradation can get tiresome.

Despite all these issues I have enjoyed myself immensely. I have not a clue why. This game is most assuredly janky. From the bizarre hit collision where your attacks will pass through enemies or you will get stuck on a box on the floor while being pummeled; Where some bigger enemies have a much longer reach than you, you need to get close to do damage and any hit from them results in you being catapulted backwards into a slow rising animation; to the bizarre tone of the ingame cutscenes. There is a lot that people rightfully did not like.

Often I will get frustrated at the large Thug type enemies. These are the aforementioned zombies with the long reach and devastating punch. When I attack them I run forwards then try to move back all the while ineffectively flailing like I am pretending to be a helicopter rotor. It looks ridiculous and usually gets me killed. Hours in this game and I still have not quite figured out a way to safely take them out.

As to what I do like? I like the atmosphere a lot! The idea of an island paradise turning into a horror movie is one you see in cinema a lot I know, but not in a game with such a kinetic mode of play. This is not the simple kind of press a button to hit, you have to aim your attacks like in The Elder Scrolls series. This is why I am more forgiving of the misses (even if I get frustrated) as in real life I would be panicking myself and most likely do the same!

The sound is top notch. There is quite a lack of music, but this is made up for in ambiance that captures isolation and terror. Some birds in the opening actually sound like the undead themselves and serve to heighten the unease you feel at wandering round such a large resort.

Playing the definitive edition and I can say that it looks good. The sunlight areas of the resort have wonderful shining and shimmering hazes and rays that filter through clouds. The city looks like a wasted mess over taken by the unsavoury element.

The story is nothing too spectacular and there are a whole lot of useless side quests, but I did them because I was enjoying the feel of the game. I liked to wander through Banoi like a half scared half heroic misfit and see the sights/keep myself alive. I wanted to see where things were going even if I could have predicted the plot beats ahead of time. I think the game was just lucky enough to capture me considerably. Perhaps I am the target audience of Dead Island?

imhotep
Nov 16, 2009

REDBAR INTENSIFIES
Did the same person rate Ashes of Ariendel higher than the Ringed City because that is loving bananas. Ashes of Ariendel feels like a side area in the main game, it doesn't feel that 'special' like a DLC, it's just visually monotonous and the boss fights, except for one, are just boring. The Ringed City, although it didn't meet my expectations after the hectic and beautiful beginning, was at least consistently amazing and had lots of varied and beautiful areas, the world collapsing in on itself is just amazing to look at at the very beginning of the DLC, and the huge drops into ash and through glass etc is just fun. It's obviously absurdly hard, but once you figure out a couple of key things it becomes doable. Ashes of Ariendel had neither the difficulty nor the interesting environment, I got lost all the time because it's hard to find your way around when everything looks like a snowy hillside.

I would be pissed if I waited for DLC and got that without the Ringed City, I played the game then the DLC immediately after.so it wasn't that bad, but I still was surprised when it ended because it was that underwhelming.

Bloodborne 99.5/100 SP 88 MP

The Last guardian 100/100 SP

Ashes of Ariendel: 65/100 SP

Ringed City: 86/100

Rime: 88/100

The Unfinished Swan: 73/100

Unravel: 82/100

imhotep fucked around with this message at 13:59 on Jan 8, 2018

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Imhotep posted:

Did the same person rate Ashes of Ariendel higher than the Ringed City because that is loving bananas. Ashes of Ariendel feels like a side area in the main game, it doesn't feel that 'special' like a DLC, it's just visually monotonous and the boss fights, except for one, are just boring. The Ringed City, although it didn't meet my expectations after the hectic and beautiful beginning, was at least consistently amazing and had lots of varied and beautiful areas, the world collapsing in on itself is just amazing to look at at the very beginning of the DLC, and the huge drops into ash and through glass etc is just fun. It's obviously absurdly hard, but once you figure out a couple of key things it becomes doable. Ashes of Ariendel had neither the difficulty nor the interesting environment, I got lost all the time because it's hard to find your way around when everything looks like a snowy hillside.

I would be pissed if I waited for DLC and got that without the Ringed City, I played the game then the DLC immediately after.so it wasn't that bad, but I still was surprised when it ended because it was that underwhelming.

Bloodborne 99.5/100 SP 88 MP

The Last guardian 100/100 SP

Ashes of Ariendel: 65/100 SP

Ringed City: 86/100

Rime: 88/100

The Unfinished Swan: 73/100

Unravel: 82/100

If you're referring to me, I thought Ashes was the superior DLC compared to Ringed City. It had a real slimy Bloodborne-esque motif, and the two bosses on offer were some of my favorite in the entire series. Overall it felt very Castlevania-esque. Ringed City is by no means bad quality, and the two go together story-wise, but I thought it ended a bit like a wet fart, and despite how many huge drops and epic vistas are inserted into the level design the amount of play area was quite small

In terms of pacing, atmosphere, and boss quality I think Ashes has it over Ringed City hands down :shrug:

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Latest game I've played is:

Tom Clancy's The División (PC): I've been watching this game for long time but never decided to get it because from the betas, it seemed clunky. With last patch's improvement, it felt really good. I maxed out to level 30 in 3 or 4 days and some kind goons helped me gear up for World Tendency 5 (something like Diablo's torment difficulty levels). It has shitloads of stuff to do solo, the worldmap is amazing and feels like something bad happened, not just "oh look, a hosed up city". You see civilians around, some ask you for help, AI factions fight between themselves, etc...

It's a loot piñata game with heavy emphasis on optimizing your gear for end game but compared to other games, it has plenty of viable builds, skills and gear. Lots of weapons to choose and mods and the best thing: gear barely impacts your looks, it's pure cosmetic clothin with no stats at all what determines how you look so you can sperg over numbers and then wear whatever you want. You can play it as a single player game and have shitloads of content, I got the gold edition wich is base plus season pass.

SP 80/100. MP 85/100.

Dead Cells (PC): I normally avoid early access games but after watching a few YouTube videos about this one I decided to give it a go during christmas sale. I describe this game as something like a randomized castlevania game with lots of unlockables. I got it with the "Brutality" update and I see it constantly getting patches. Currently in the foundry update, they added a lot of new weapons and powers, passive skills and so. The game is combat heavy, with plenty of weapons. It controls like your common 2d metroidvania and its main gimmick is that dying sends you back to the begining but you retain the abilities you adquired (like double jumping or being able to use teleports). My only gripe is that it takes too long to unlock stuff and on top of that is quite unforgiving so you may end getting either bored or frustrated because you did the starting level like 20 times before unlocking the shortcut to a more advanced level. Currently only on PC but I see this getting a PS4/Xbox reléase when it gets out of early access.

SP 78/100.

Imhotep posted:

I'd rate Ashes better than Ringed City too because I played Bloodborne after playing DS3+Ashes. Ringed City unpatched is absolute bullshit and has the enemy I hate the most in all bloodsouls games: The loving angel. Prepatch angels would look after you even if you used hidden body, on top of that they decided to place them on areas with little cover and a swamp. By the time they put a patch, I beat the DLC with only one char (out of 7 ready to play it) and felt that it was just worse than anything BB offers.

Guillermus fucked around with this message at 10:37 on Jan 9, 2018

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

ashes also has Friede, aka the best boss fight in dark souls 3

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Don't want to derail this much but Ringed City, as the last piece of a series, hamfisted way too many high damage enemies. Sure it looks gorgeus but it isn't (for me) fun to fight enemies in that DLC at all.

So there goes my ratings (because I've played them during 2017 aswell!)

Bloodborne+The Old Hunters DLC 95/100
Dark Souls 3 90/100
DS3 Ashes or Ariandel 75/100
DS3 The Ringed City 68/100

:colbert:

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
Final Fantasy XII: The Zodiac Age 95/100
Nioh 89 / 100

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

I have destroyed more of your kind than I can count.

To The Capital - An indie roguelike/JRPG hybrid with oddly deterministic encounters and combat, manages to be different enough to be interesting

Excellent - Good - [Ok] - Bad - Awful

The Deep Sleep trilogy - A trio of 20-minute horror point-and-click adventures you can play for free, featuring better pacing and atmosphere than plenty of paid games

Excellent - [Good] - Ok - Bad - Awful

Back to Bed - Bite-sized indie puzzler about guiding a sleepwalker through M.C. Escher-inspired landscapes

Excellent - Good - [Ok] - Bad - Awful

Too Shy Guy fucked around with this message at 17:27 on Jan 11, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Beat evil with 2

G4f3

Above average game average fun factor

Game is held back by its linearity, never really makes good on the promise of the first big open section by breaking the world into too many little zones and having very little required time in them.

Shooting is stiff but i think thats part of the re4 legacy appeal.

I had good fun with it. I'd play a third if its this much improved over the last again. If its about the same quality i might pass