Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Terminally Bored
Oct 31, 2011

Twenty-five dollars and a six pack to my name

Real hurthling! posted:

Dragonball fighterz (story mode)

G2F1

The computer cant handle the most basic and unsafe string in the game over and over again so get ready for 12-18 hours of 150-200 bad fights

If you love dbz the cutscenes are very fun though and unlocking the boss character for multiplayer (g5f5) is what its all about.

Does it have a difficulty toggle?

Last 2 months or so, I'm a dad and only get like 4 or 5 hours of gaming a week:

Ace Attorney: Dual Destinies
I thought it can't be worse than Apollo Justice but welp. Had to finish it because I read good things about Spirit of Justice. Don't think I'll ever play through it ever again.

Pharaoh Rebirth+
Great, funny and concise metroidvania. Really easy tho. Little challenge.

SMT: Devil Survivor Overclocked
As with most SMT stuff I got tired of it at the endgame but still had a lot of fun. All the characters are severely crosseyed for some reason.

Battle Brothers
The kind of game that I will install on every computer I ever own and play it into infinity.

Steel Strider
Great, fun, cheap as pretty much every Astro Port game. The kb+mouse controls reminded me of Abuse a bit.

DCS World
Don't have any joysticks available atm so I just spent an hour and a half learning how to start the P-51D Mustang's engine by clicking all the levers in the cockpit. Really cool (and free).

Wild Guns Reloaded
Loved the SNES version and this is the same but better and whole lotta harder. Fantastic game.

Kero Blaster
Cave Story never really grabbed me but this one's a keeper. Was able to go through the overtime (hard) mode and started NG+. Those secret levels are probably way above my level tho.

Raiden V: Director's Cut
Complete poo poo.

Carmageddon Max Damage
People seem to hate it but it's Perfectly Fine. I really hate the music and the juvenile puns though.

Dragon Quest IV: Chapters of the Chosen
Did not expect to like an old grindy jrpg but I really did. It's simple and has a surprisingly fun story.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Terminally Bored
Oct 31, 2011

Trails of Cold Steel 1 and 2

Beat 1 and played about 9 hours of 2. It's complete dreck compared to the Sky trilogy. Pacing, writing is way off. Cardboard characters, pandering to teenage audiences, so much filler. One of the guys in the game's thread mentioned that a goddamn pet falcon in Sky gets more characterization than any person in CS and it's hard to disagree.

The combat is snappier (and better) but pretty much everything else sucks. The move to 3D didn't add anything, characters are poorly animated.

I give it an Ys 5 on the Falcom scale.

Terminally Bored
Oct 31, 2011

Real hurthling! posted:

I want to like a trails game real bad somebody play the 70 hour intro and give me your save tia

All three Trails in the Sky games are very much worth it. The main appeal is that you get to know all the characters through the extreme slow burn (or smolder really) of the story and then it REALLY pays off in the second and third games. The detail is insane, even the side characters you only talk to once or twice in the game have their tiny little story arcs.

At times I wished they took all the fighting out because the combat is mediocre at best and there's so much of it, but Japan doesn't really do adventure games. You get that next bit of story when you click through a dozen of monsters, fill exp bars and meet quotas.

Terminally Bored
Oct 31, 2011

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

Disagree. And the ones it does have it remixes in bad ways.

Yep. Legends is a really fun game but Origins is a better platformer.

Terminally Bored
Oct 31, 2011

I'm riding a DQ high right now.

Dragon Quest IV
Fell in love with this one. Still don't know why exactly, I don't even like JRPGs that much. I loved the framing of the story, the characters are fun, the monsters are fun. It's wacky but also kinda heavy in a way. I love the simplicity of it all. I'll be replaying this on mobile shortly, as the DS version doesn't have orchestral music or party chat.

Dragon Quest V
It is even better than IV story-wise but it does meander at times. It's absolutely grindier and weaker at hinting what to do next but the game itself is. just. so. good. Pokemon took all of its stuff from DQ5. Incredible stuff for 1992.

I'm only 6 hours in on those two:
Dragon Quest VII
Tries to do way too much at the same time. There are two worlds now! There's time travel! You are a ghost but not really! You've got amnesia! You're a prince maybe! There's a class system (didn't get to that)! Really unfocused but still fun, especially on mobile. There's way too many random battles now but you actually need that to level up your classes apparently. I can just grind up my guys during my work downtime. The story's still bonkers and I have no idea what's going on.

Dragon Quest VIII
Does away with all the simplicity and directness of IV and V and does the same thing as VI but sloooooooooower. Talk to this guy, now talk to that guy, now talk to the first guy again. Guess which of these animals is actually a woman in disguise. Find some puzzle pieces. Assemble the pieces in a special room. Go to an island, learn its story. Fight some monsters maybe. Leave the island and travel in time. Then visit the same island again and learn the next part of its story. Repeat. There's a class system here too, but I still didn't get to that part.

Ratings:
LOVE: 4 and 5
LIKE: 6 and 7

Terminally Bored fucked around with this message at 20:39 on Apr 5, 2018