Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
Some quick ones for a few games I’ve finished this year. E is for overall experience because some games (nier automata) are annoying but worth it in the end.

The Last Guardian G4F4E5
I dock a point because technically there are some frame rate issues but I played it on launch ps4 and it was fine. Some of the tail puzzles were annoying but I didn’t experience much frustration trying to control Trico. It might have one of the best endings ever. Only one other game has made me cry.

Nier Automata G4F3E5
I wanted platinum combat and didn’t like the button mashy poo poo so there was some initial disappointment that took a long time for me to get over. Eventually I mustered the will to power through route B and it was worth it. It stuck with me for a long time after I completed it which is probably one of the highest compliments I can give a game. Apparently the side quests have some good story bits in them but I just couldn’t be bothered. The ending sequence is brilliant. One of the best soundtracks ever.

Shadow of the Colossus G5F4E5
I don’t really have to review this. As a first timer it lived up to the hype and is probably the best looking game I ever played.

The Red Strings Club G3F3E3
Cool premise and gimmick for a game, but pretty average overall. It’s short enough (3-4 hours) to be worth a play through and it’s clearly designed for multiple playthroughs but I just didn’t care to see all of the different branching conversations. I don’t think it had anything new or interesting to say about transhumanism, free will, etc to go through multiple times. The first part of the game where you use the lathe is completely pointless because you never use that mechanic again. I have no idea what they were going for there. They should have just pre-made all of the modules instead of making you go through that poo poo.

Doki Doki Literature Club E4
It’s a visual novel so the GxFx ratings are irrelevant. I don’t play VNs so the whole meta critique aspect went over my head. It was still a lot of fun to go through blind and is short enough to complete in a night. I’m glad I didn’t google or youtube anything beforehand because there are spoilers everywhere, especially in the titles of youtube videos. Best played in one sitting alone and late at night.

Night in the Woods G4F4E4
I went through the Gregg path and enjoyed it but I know I missed a lot of side poo poo. Walking around town is so slow that I just didn’t care enough to see all of it on my first playthrough. I’ll do another run on the Bea path and I kind of regret not doing her route first.

Gorogoa G5F5E5
This is some wild poo poo. It’s around 2 hours long and if you’re even mildly into puzzles play it. It's so good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Finally someone else with VVVVVV on their GOAT list

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

VideoGames posted:

Not only is it just sublime and made on the same hardware as SMB1 (this always blows my mind) but it was the first ever game I completed as a kid :D This is the reason why platformers are my most favourite genre ever.

You’ve played raymen legends right? It’s brilliant and probably second only to odyssey in terms of fun and charm imo

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Steamworld Dig 2
G4F4

Some of the mechanics felt a little superfluous because the game was pretty easy but it’s one of the best out there. The art and music is excellent.

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Bayonetta G4F4

It's very good but the QTEs are very bad and the UI is a bit of a mess. Unless I'm missing something there doesn't seem to be an easy way to see your current best score for a given chapter until you play through it. Moving on to bayo 2 now