Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

watch it on youtube like a sane person

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

hamsystem posted:

Got me curious so I looked it up. 2 hours, 40 minutes.

Good lord - better go to one of those 21+ bistro theaters with cushy recliners. It'd be awesome if they had an intermission.

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord
Blade Runner 2049 was even longer, but didn't feel like it. I'm not real confident that IW will be paced as well though. I'm still looking forward to it though, even if it's not a great film it should be entertaining.

Moriatti
Apr 21, 2014

IW is definitely the kinda film you have to see opening weekend in theaters because at least half of the enjoyment is gonna be crowd reactions.

It's just like Avengers was good there and unwatchable on it's own.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

I have tix for the 27th. I just really really hope I doin't get spoiled.

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004
Spoiler alert: there will be a war of infinite proportion

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
Infinity War well being competently made and pretty okay and ultimately forgettable.

Source: Every other Marvel movie.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

marvel movies,,, are good

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Arist posted:

marvel movies,,, are good

I’d certainly put the ratio of “great and memorable” versus “okay and forgettable” firmly in favour of the former. Off the top of my head, only Iron Man 2, Incredible Hulk, and Age of Ultron fall into the latter (and I’m willing to concede that The Dark World probably falls there for most other people, too).

Moriatti
Apr 21, 2014

Nah, I like the MCU a LOT but it's not because it's particularly good.
The Guardians and Cap Films are pretty good, Thor 3 is also good. Everything else is acceptable.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

They're fun for exactly what they are. Not many of them rise above that into "go see this movie even if you're not into this comic stuff". Some do and some hit different cords. Guardians is fun if you like wacky space stuff. Winter Soldier is fun if you like spy stuff. Ant Man is fun if you like heist stuff. There's a lot of them and they vary but they're all basically just fun popcorn comic movies that aren't really pretending to be anything they aren't. And the comic fans who hate them are usually the ones also going all film school "work of art" on other comic films. Which is fine, but its clearly just not what the MCU is about any more than its what the Fast and Furious movies are about.

Infinity War's gonna have some pushback because (a) there's those people who hate the MCU who are gonna want this to fail and (b) its SO hyped and SO big that some people are going to have a hard time with expectations. But I suspect that like most MCU entries it will entertain and satisfy the majority of the audience and give them what they went there for.

Marvel's got a formula. You might not like it. You might be tired of it. It might offend you as an artist or connoisseur. But its been proven to work and its unlikely they're going to do anything to deliberately get off that path.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

STAC Goat posted:

Guardians is fun if you like wacky space stuff

That's underselling the Guardians movies by a lot.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Its definitely one of the better films that kind of stands out as its own thing away from the MCU. I was just trying to kind of quickly sum up how some of them manage to do enough outside of the "MCU formula" to be worthy of recommending to someone who isn't into the whole comic thing. "Wacky space stuff" wasn't eloquent but I think you get my general point about unique broader appeal it has over the other MCU films.

BlackJosh
Sep 25, 2007

STAC Goat posted:

Winter Soldier is fun if you like spy stuff.

Winter Soldier is a loving amazing action flick. I am a "Terminator 2 is the best action flick" till the day I die but Winter Soldier is one of the few movies I've thought have climbed to even close to those levels. It is on the same level as T2 and Die Hard where if I see it on TV (even though I own it) I'm gonna stop and watch it no matter what my plans originally were.

Knowlue
Nov 11, 2012

I could eat a sea cucumber
Guys we already derailed the thread with Talbot's wife please let's not do it again with another goon marvel movie review

VictorianQueerLit
Aug 25, 2017

Knowlue posted:

Guys we already derailed the thread with Talbot's wife please let's not do it again with another goon marvel movie review

We've actually got that down to a science now. Marvel Movie derails in every thread just go into people discussing what is good/bad then some rankings and arguments over rankings before people get bored. It doesn't usually last too long. Same with the Star Trek series rankings.

The current hotness is meltdowns about how terrible Elon Musk or self driving cars are so it's a good thing the team doesn't driveautopilot Teslas.

VictorianQueerLit fucked around with this message at 05:53 on Apr 18, 2018

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

1) Is the latest Marvel Movie gonna cross over with SHIELD?
2) LOL
3) Am I the only one who things the MCU is done?
4) MCU is movie candy and people love candy.
5) MCU Is the devil and Zack Snyder is Jesus.
6) Pa Kent and a dog.
7) You people don't understand art.
8) Do you think the Netflix characters will be in the movie?

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Knowlue posted:

Can you really derail a thread about Agents of SHIELD by talking about the show?

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Knowlue posted:

Guys we already derailed the thread with Talbot's wife please

:psyduck:

“Please talk about things in the show I want to talk about, not things in the show you want to talk about”

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy
Let's talk about dogs and what Daisy's real name is again! :v:

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

CAPT. Rainbowbeard posted:

Oh, I'm not saying this thread doesn't disappear up its own rear end. But that's the first I've seen talking about an event in the show as being a "derail".

Moriatti
Apr 21, 2014

BlackJosh posted:

Winter Soldier is a loving amazing action flick. I am a "Terminator 2 is the best action flick" till the day I die but Winter Soldier is one of the few movies I've thought have climbed to even close to those levels. It is on the same level as T2 and Die Hard where if I see it on TV (even though I own it) I'm gonna stop and watch it no matter what my plans originally were.

I think it would've been better if it had the balls to make Fury or anyone the general public cared about an out and out villain, but alas.

Anyhow, Winter Soldier is vital to this show so I don't think discussing it should be off limits.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

I like the MCU

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer

Regy Rusty posted:

I like the MCU

Well, you’re wrong.

OB_Juan
Nov 24, 2004

Not every day is a good day.

Dinosaur Gum

CAPT. Rainbowbeard posted:

Ms. Poots can go by whatever name she likes. It's not like she was a well-documented individual before joining SHIELD anyway.

And on the topic of dogs. Remember when in the flashback Ruby was arguing about whether she had to kill her dog?

Was that the last time we saw it?

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
No, the dog showed up in Season 1 as Wards dog.

Jusupov
May 24, 2007
only text
Did daisy and may eat the dog?

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord
if AoS was a film, there'd be a post-credits scene with the dog eating a bowl of captain crunch

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

gey muckle mowser posted:

if AoS was a film, there'd be a post-credits scene with the dog eating a bowl of captain crunch

The toy in the box would be an Infinity Stone.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.
My favorite part of all this is that Deke will in all likelihood break the time loop disproving Fitz’s theory and irritating the living poo poo out of him that this idiot broke science.

ApeHawk
Jun 6, 2010

All the NPCs will look up and shout, "Do this quest!"
and I'll whisper, "Sure, why not."

Chokes McGee posted:

My favorite part of all this is that Deke will in all likelihood break the time loop disproving Fitz’s theory and irritating the living poo poo out of him that this idiot broke science.

"I can't believe the laws of time and space were shattered by a Deke!"

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Timeloop Breaker Or: How I Learned To Stop Worrying And Love The Deke

OB_Juan
Nov 24, 2004

Not every day is a good day.

Dinosaur Gum

Chokes McGee posted:

One last act to ensure that he'd disappointed his grandpa for all of time.

GLOSS
Apr 10, 2005

PEARL GROWLS "TAKE OFF THAT SHIRT, STEVEN." I COMPLY, REVEALING THE FULL LENGTH SHIRT TATTOO. PEARL RETREATS INTO HER GEM, DEFEATED.
Oh no doubt, get a bunch of lemons...

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Pasdar is doing amazing work tonight.

GLOSS
Apr 10, 2005

PEARL GROWLS "TAKE OFF THAT SHIRT, STEVEN." I COMPLY, REVEALING THE FULL LENGTH SHIRT TATTOO. PEARL RETREATS INTO HER GEM, DEFEATED.
Hale is totally forcing Daisy into the gravitonium pod by the end of this...

GLOSS
Apr 10, 2005

Holy moly that was graphic...

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Bye bye baby Strucker :stonk:

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

H-huh :stonk:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010