Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
Mack, should totally be the leader of the team as it is currently constructed.

Daisy is the future, and should be the leader in a few years. But she's clearly not ready yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

Proteus Jones posted:

Yeah, I was absolutely trying to place that intersection until I saw the crosswalks.

Oh good, it was just me. I'm like, hey, I think I know that building... Wait do our cross walls look like that?

Jusupov
May 24, 2007
only text

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

All missions now begin with a prayer to Jesus.

Instead of sending the team to handle something they'll just send thoughts and prayers

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

All missions now begin with a prayer to our Lord and savior Lincoln Shotgun-Axe.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Fitz dying is just like in Futurama where time travel paradox versions of themselves have to be balanced out of the universe!

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer
Fitzsicle and Deke both get sent to the Darkness Beyond Time, season 6 is the gang fights Lavos.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

bull3964 posted:

Fitz dying is just like in Futurama where time travel paradox versions of themselves have to be balanced out of the universe!

Stealing more from Futurama, Deke and Jemma sleep together somehow and he becomes his own grandfather

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost
Wasn't Deke's room completely cleared out because he blinked out of existence and therefore didn't hoard that stuff?

Darth Brooks
Jan 15, 2005

I do not wear this mask to protect me. I wear it to protect you from me.

That version of Deke. There could still be a Deke born in a utopia who does or doesn't travel back to our time.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

See, I just thought they were clearing out because of the lack of dangers that required them to bunker down in hiding.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed

tetrapyloctomy posted:

I'm trying to remember everything that happened, but it seems that Currently-In-Space Fitz would not have gone through his psychotic break, ripped the disabler out of Daisy, trapped Mac, etc., etc., etc. Now while this may seem like a good thing, he and the other eventually worked through it together. Currently-In-Space Fitz has not. He is still the guy who would kidnap Daisy and perform surgery on her without consent. And that's simply on top of all of the other things he has not experienced and learned through the season. They both started as the "original" Fitz, but they diverged.

Fitz should probably have gotten some help back when he got brain damage and started hallucinating Simmons. I think it's safe to say that Shield really needs to hire a professional to deal with the mental health of their agents.

OB_Juan
Nov 24, 2004

Not every day is a good day.

Dinosaur Gum

tetrapyloctomy posted:

Wasn't Deke's room completely cleared out because he blinked out of existence and therefore didn't hoard that stuff?

I thought that was the room Fitz and Simmons shared.

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Nobody move and nobody gets hurt.

Oasx posted:

Fitz should probably have gotten some help back when he got brain damage and started hallucinating Simmons. I think it's safe to say that Shield really needs to hire a professional to deal with the mental health of their agents.

Trouble is, it's hard to find a qualified psychiatrist that doesn't also shapeshift into an invulnerable monster bent on killing your team.

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Nap Ghost

ShakeZula posted:

Trouble is, it's hard to find a qualified psychiatrist that doesn't also shapeshift into an invulnerable monster bent on killing your team.

I guess that would put one off of psychotherapy for ... well, ever.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
There's a lot of really dumb dropped plot threads now. I'm perfectly okay with stuff like cocoon boy chilling in the ocean because they can revisit that whenever they want and it won't feel too awkward, just like with Gravitonium, which was fine. The dude's first cocoon lasted a super long time as well. But then you've got stuff like Fitz is hallucinating his super villain alter ego and communicating with him and ripping poo poo out of Daisy's neck as she moans "I'll never forgive you" in agony. Oops, time for a wedding, let's immediately forgive Fitz who will never see or reference evil Fitz again I guess.

Or Dethlok having apparently been doing poo poo off camera literally for years. Let's bring him in for 20 minutes so he can do a sick flip and shoot one rocket at a figment of my imagination. What's that Dethlok, do we need your help stopping this insane god who is just about to crack the earth apart? No, why don't you stay off camera for that, no biggie.

And I guess in the MCU universe you can find gravitonium just a few hundred feet below Chicago. This stuff is crazy unstable and has all kinda of gravity altering effects. Makes sense that it's been down there all along and has never come up or no one has ever noticed it before. I'm sure it will never come up again either.

Speaking of things that will never come up again, I'm sure that no one, especially in the movies, will ever mention that time a giant spaceship cut off the tops of a dozen buildings in Chicago. Where did that ship even come from anyways? The alien ship in orbit got blown up by it's own missiles. Was there another one?

I'd be a lot more willing to forgive the apparent cutoff from the movies to tell their own story if it weren't for all this other dumb poo poo. The only real way I can see that they can save this show is if season 6 opens and they're all living simple, wholesome lives as farmers, wearing old timey dresses and reading the Bible, the only book they have, each evening after an honest day's toil on Mack's not-a-cult commune farm. The way it should be!

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

counterfeitsaint posted:

But then you've got stuff like Fitz is hallucinating his super villain alter ego and communicating with him and ripping poo poo out of Daisy's neck as she moans "I'll never forgive you" in agony. Oops, time for a wedding, let's immediately forgive Fitz who will never see or reference evil Fitz again I guess.

Other way around. And they reference Fitz's changed personality constantly.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

counterfeitsaint posted:

And I guess in the MCU universe you can find gravitonium just a few hundred feet below Chicago. This stuff is crazy unstable and has all kinda of gravity altering effects. Makes sense that it's been down there all along and has never come up or no one has ever noticed it before. I'm sure it will never come up again either.

Nah, it explains why their infrastructure is in such terrible shape.

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

Open Source Idiom posted:

Other way around. And they reference Fitz's changed personality constantly.

Yeah I really don't understand how you can watch this season and go away with the impression that this isn't the case. It's a major part of his character arc, how he's always struggling to keep it in check. Yes there was only one instance in which it manifested as an actual split personality, but one that he subconsciously felt was necessary as part of the solution at the time.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
The Doctor thing happened after the wedding.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Argue posted:

The Doctor thing happened after the wedding.

No I’m pretty sure they handed things off to Whittaker before this pod even started

Dracorion
Jul 23, 2013

counterfeitsaint posted:

Speaking of things that will never come up again, I'm sure that no one, especially in the movies, will ever mention that time a giant spaceship cut off the tops of a dozen buildings in Chicago. Where did that ship even come from anyways? The alien ship in orbit got blown up by it's own missiles. Was there another one?

They can probably wave it off as just another of Thanos' ships. It's not like the casual observer in MCU Earth is gonna know the difference.

I forget where the second ship came from. I assume it was always there though.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

I assumed it was the wreckage of the alien ship - not blown to pieces, just really singed.

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS
Yeah, the way it tumbled toward earth and 'gently' crashed on top of Chicago suggests that it wasn't exactly in flying under own power anymore.

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Nap Ghost

Rhyno posted:

Nah, it explains why their infrastructure is in such terrible shape.

What you never knew is that with the elevated trains, the tracks were just for show.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Blazing Ownager posted:

A really funny thought: If nobody wakes him up he'll wake up in a space utopia instead.

Actually all they need to do to get him back is get ahold of another Chronocon and say "Hey! Apocalypse over, if you don't want to wake him up in a utopia could you send him back?"

I mean, they don't need to get another Chronocon, right? Enoch's with him, so maybe we get Enoch back too.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

homullus posted:

I mean, they don't need to get another Chronocon, right? Enoch's with him, so maybe we get Enoch back too.

Well they have to find him first so presumably another Chronicom could help with that.

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer

Regy Rusty posted:

Well they have to find him first so presumably another Chronicom could help with that.

They’re just going to strap Simmons to the front of their spaceship like a dowsing rod.

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

I can't wait to entertain you.

ApeHawk posted:

Alright, I think I pinned down what changed the timeline, and it hinged on May, Robin, and Yo-Yo.

Yo-Yo, of course, was warning everyone that trying to save Coulson is what doomed the world, but what that meant was that they ultimately decided to give Coulson the serum injection. And Yo-Yo, in the original timeline, probably didn't put up much of an argument as she did this time. Robin has been dropping equally vague hints, but May took notice about something particular she said, and it took Yo-Yo's clamoring about it to make her realize it: in the original timeline, they injected the serum into Coulson while he was asleep, as opposed to letting him decide if he should take it or not. "Coulson puts the pieces together."

The serum was the puzzle-piece, but they had to hand it to him, not give it to him. Only Coulson would know what to do with it, not them, since they were focused on saving his life, and he was focused on making sure Daisy had all the tools she needed to fight Talbot. He basically gave her an Elixir specifically for the boss fight.

I'm not sure this is right. If your "previous" timeline is the one we also see in the security camera footage of Daisy yelling at someone, then that doesn't really make sense unless Coulson also never took the serum that time around. What I think was different, was that he didn't take the serum, but left it behind in that timeline. This time around, he stashed it in the gauntlet. In this scenario, you have Daisy still yelling in the same exact way, allowing her to still fulfill the video. Though it's a bit fuzzy, because in my conceptual idea of the timelines, the video being exactly the same really doesn't matter ultimately, it's just a bit of a narrative device.

My timeline theory based on what we saw is something like this:

Original unaltered timeline - Some confluence of events still has Talbot in the hands of Hydra and coming into conflict with them and Shield and still becoming Graviton. He takes over Daisy and quakes apart the world. There is no time travel in this original version. Robin's prophesies still impact some decisions being made. Generally it looks like Robin's drawings may actually be some amalgamation of all the time lines which played out. (i.e. the drawing with a Graviton possibly full of more than four other people (possibly this original timeline?), Phil and May on the beach (the fixed timeline), etc.)
Second timeline - We got video footage and flashbacks of this one. The team time traveled to the future and then back to the past to try and change things. Past-Future Fitz rants about the loop, YoYo goes paranoid and loses her arms and gets resurrected, Coulson never takes the serum and they still ultimately fail.
Final timeline - Team travels to the future, learns that they've done it before and failed and get stuck in their "loop" paranoia. As a partial side effect of that, Coulson decides to give the serum to Daisy instead. She launches Graviton into orbit and the loop is broken for good.

OB_Juan posted:

If future-Fitz managed to continue to exist (even dead), Deke should still be around. Really, if anyone other than Robin remembers that something happened, Deke should probably (maybe?) be around.

That's my thought too. If timeline 2 remnant Fitz still existed to die, even after the timeline had changed, then Deke should still be around too.

OB_Juan posted:

Yeah, I thought it was just their room. For what it's worth, I think they redressed the same set for everyone's room. From what I recall, Daisy and Coulson's room also looked the same exact way.

Teek fucked around with this message at 15:58 on May 21, 2018

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Hero of hormagaunts everywhere!
Buglord
What gets me is that they never established being absorbed into the gravitonium gave Talbot their abilities. It would have made more sense if they showed he could use Creel’s powers after but without context it made no sense.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

PierreTheMime posted:

What gets me is that they never established being absorbed into the gravitonium gave Talbot their abilities. It would have made more sense if they showed he could use Creel’s powers after but without context it made no sense.

why does that get you

why does it matter for the story, aside from the fact he believes it

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

OB_Juan posted:

In the first shot of Deke's room they made a point of showing both future/present versions of Fitz's knives sitting on the bench amongst all the crap he had squirrelled away.

Then they had Jemma pick up a single knife at the end.

EDIT:

Deke's messy room

Jemma mourning Fitz

And, for what it's worth, it definitely looks like the same room. Though given how cookie cutter the sets are in the Lighthouse, that itself doesn't mean too much.

Megillah Gorilla fucked around with this message at 16:57 on May 21, 2018

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

PierreTheMime posted:

He didn’t give a gently caress about Creels abilities. He only wanted the Gravitonium that was in Creel at that point.

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

I can't wait to entertain you.

Proteus Jones posted:

He didn’t give a gently caress about Creels abilities. He only wanted the Gravitonium that was in Creel at that point.

That, plus Creel also *turned* into gravitonium and Talbot sucked up that as well.

ApeHawk
Jun 6, 2010

All the NPCs will look up and shout, "Do this quest!"
and I'll whisper, "Sure, why not."

Teek posted:

That, plus Creel also *turned* into gravitonium and Talbot sucked up that as well.

He basically turned Creel into Capri Sun.

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Hero of hormagaunts everywhere!
Buglord
I was responding mostly to this:

Teek posted:

He takes over Daisy and quakes apart the world

In conjunction with the fact that they explicitly mention in the show that he wanted to take her in and use her powers. He had to concentrate really hard to do just about anything and judging from the entire season it was assumed that only Daisy's powers could do what happened to the world. It's entirely possible that he could have done it on his own, but why would you write that line in if that wasn't meant to explain what happened in the original timeline?

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

PierreTheMime posted:

I was responding mostly to this:

In conjunction with the fact that they explicitly mention in the show that he wanted to take her in and use her powers. He had to concentrate really hard to do just about anything and judging from the entire season it was assumed that only Daisy's powers could do what happened to the world. It's entirely possible that he could have done it on his own, but why would you write that line in if that wasn't meant to explain what happened in the original timeline?

Graviton got less sane with time and more powerful with more gravitonium. I don't think he'd have to absorb Daisy to split the world if he kept scooping up all the gravitonium (cf. Robin being told to draw "a dot" everywhere there was gravitonium and subsequently covering half the globe in Sharpie) and going crazier as he did so. I get what you're saying, but the time loop result really doesn't require Daisy's involvement (other than presumably her death shortly after her last known footage). Graviton believed a number of things that were wrong, and "must absorb Daisy" might just be there to explain why he doesn't just crush her from a distance when they fight.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

homullus posted:

Graviton got less sane with time and more powerful with more gravitonium. I don't think he'd have to absorb Daisy to split the world if he kept scooping up all the gravitonium (cf. Robin being told to draw "a dot" everywhere there was gravitonium and subsequently covering half the globe in Sharpie) and going crazier as he did so. I get what you're saying, but the time loop result really doesn't require Daisy's involvement (other than presumably her death shortly after her last known footage). Graviton believed a number of things that were wrong, and "must absorb Daisy" might just be there to explain why he doesn't just crush her from a distance when they fight.

I thought that was just her drawing that the planet got blown up, not that the "rare" substance was under like 75% of the planet.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

I thought that was just her drawing that the planet got blown up, not that the "rare" substance was under like 75% of the planet.

I took it as Talbot's reasoning FOR blowing up the planet, to get at it all that much more quickly.

Really makes you wonder, though, where the heck he went after blowing up the Earth in the other timeline.

cjg
Sep 5, 2003

Fitz on that kind of mission with his office button up shirt on was funny.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

Reasonable. The writers did go out of their way with "just a dot" on the globe, though; if all they needed to communicate was "Chicago," they could have gone with a Robin drawing.