Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

counterfeitsaint posted:

I'm really starting to get tired of the fact that everyone seems to have turned into some kind of extremely naive [non-binary] scout.

"Earth is destroyed, and all the survivors are enslaved and forced to work in miserable conditions collecting scrap metal. That's all fine and doesn't phase me, but I'm completely astounded the same people doing this might s-s-sell people too! Problematic." - Every character in the show

"I've been a special agent for years, I've no doubt shot countless Hydra mooks over the seasons and god knows what else, but are you saying I have to punch a guy? Literally the worst thing that's ever happened to me. I abhor violence!" *hides shotgun axe*

"Aliens have enslaved us, murder us and force us to murder each other on the reg, and are stripping our planet clean of any resources that might be left with zero consideration how it will effect us. But I'm left appalled and speechless that they would impinge on our sacred rights of natural reproduction and even use it as leverage over us! I'm beginning to think these Kree might need to read the Geneva conventions! Let's have a protest."

Okay, the Mack thing I'll give you, but I thought the baby thing was a perfectly good way to ratchet up the tension. Yes, whatever, aliens using humans as slave labor, it's terrible but it's mundane -- we've been doing it ourselves for literally thousands of years. Actually going so far as sterilizing the population and breeding a limited supply of babies to control them... that goes beyond anything that's ever existed in anything but science fiction. Interfering with a people's reproduction seems a lot more invasive and violating than just forcing them to work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

RareAcumen posted:

drat, I thought that was Bobbi and Hunter at the end, I totally wasn't expecting Robin.

Who was Robin again? I drew a complete blank at the end of the episode.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

Blazing Ownager posted:

She's the little girl, she was holding the bird.

I inferred that from context, but I don't remember when there was a little girl holding a bird or what her deal was.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

Chokes McGee posted:

I don't want it to end by any means, but with infinity war coming up, it'd be a lot simpler than dancing around "oh btw thanos killed half the universe nbd

That's only a problem when going from TV to movies, not movies to TV. Season 2's major plot twist revolved around when Hydra took over SHIELD in Captain America 2. You think, after starting this season on a mysterious space station in some unidentified future, they'd have have an issue with having next season take place in whatever disaster setting they're left with after Infinity War?

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

howe_sam posted:

I mean swallowing deadly poison and living is a pretty good way to prove her unkillable hypothesis

I mean there's still a random chance anyone at all could have drawn the right three glasses too. Bad science Jemma :(

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

Blazing Ownager posted:

Also I really like Creel. I oddly root for him, and was super relieved to see when she threw that disc at him he didn't die there. When he wasn't in the picture I was like "He's dead." Then when the dramatic slow-mo throw happened I'm like "He's dead." So glad he's not.

Are we sure he's ok? I thought they made a point of showing her blade tear right through the wooden stick he was fighting with, and then when they went into slowmo as he turned himself into wood, I thought it was going to be a tragic moment where the disc killed him anyway. And it DID get jammed really deeply into his wooden chest. When he turns back to flesh and bone, is he going to immediately keel over from a sucking chest wound?

I thought that scene was set up for him to have a valiant death and to make the fight against Hydra more personal.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

For some reason I kept thinking back to this old episode of 24 where the squirrelly tech guy gets kidnapped by the bad guys who want him to fix the mcguffin on their nuclear bomb or whatever, and he stands up to a bunch more explicit torture, including taking a power drill to at least one shoulder, before eventually giving in and building the terrorists their thing. And even then, Jack Bauer screams at him "you actually built them something that worked??" when he's eventually rescued.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

Does anyone else think Thanos looks distractingly like Bruce Willis? I mean I've seen the memes with him or Homer Simpson or Hank from Breaking Bad or whoever else, but at the end of the day, if I didn't have any access to outside media, I would have genuinely thought they motion-captured Bruce Willis and CGI'd him up to play the role. It's so uncanny I can't stop thinking about it every time Thanos is onscreen.

On May vs Daisy: May was never going to be the leader of SHIELD. I think she'd probably refuse it if offered, even. She's great to have around as an experienced agent providing support or asskickings, but she's always been shown as the type that doesn't want to be in charge. And as mentioned, she's probably retiring pretty soon anyway. Daisy has always been the up-and-comer that they've been grooming for bigger things, ever since she became a full agent and especially since she became the most visible of the Inhumans. I thought she'd take charge eventually, but it feels kinda weird having her in command with Coulson still around. He's still the most experienced man for the job as long as he's able, and it's strange having her countermand his orders.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

J33uk posted:

Agreed. Sadly I think a lack of location shooting and the lack of many guest stars (plenty of recurring, very few guest stars) isn’t helping. We’re seeing the same ten characters or so discuss the same issues endlessly. It’s crazy and a testament to the cast and crew that it’s still as entertaining as it is. If there is a final season I hope they either get a reasonable budget (I don’t see it happening personally) or they do a cut down episode order and create something that really hauls rear end.

I hope they get three more seasons and they're all about SHIELD in the same gray corridors constantly repeating the loop.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

When's the point when Infinity War spoilers will be allowed in this thread? Two weeks from release maybe? That opening weekend means you'd think most people would have seen it already, even.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

I'm going through every thread on the forums and asking the same question. I want to talk about Infinity War anywhere I go.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

Yeah, I mean, without getting into spoilers, being their giant crossover blockbuster there's obviously stuff in the movie that might have implications for the Marvel Universe at large. It'd be nice to discuss it in the context of the TV show eventually, especially since SHIELD has had plot arcs directly relating to events in other big movies like Avengers and Winter Soldier.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

Proteus Jones posted:

I expect there to be little to no impact on the show since the last 3 are in the can, and MCU doesn’t play ball with the TV shows. In fact I seem to remember on one of the CC panels for Avengers: AoU (I think) that the writers didn’t pay attention to anything going on in the TV shows and basically showed zero interest in doing so.

Well, that's why I mentioned Winter Soldier, because Agents of SHIELD absolutely did play ball with that movie on the order of having a giant HYDRA upheaval halfway through the season, and I'm pretty sure there are other movie happenings that have been reflected. Like I said, I don't want to spoil anyone, but I think discussing that sort of speculation in here is appropriate, at least after a reasonable amount of time. Like, by June, I'm certainly not going to have any sympathy for people in a Marvel thread who haven't seen it.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

That one scene from Infinity War makes a lot more sense now though, where Dr. Strange says to Tony Stark "also there's a super-powerful gravity mutant guy who's about to destroy the planet, but that one will be wrapped up offscreen," and then he turns to the camera and says "Friday nights on ABC!"

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

That was pretty awesome! I couldn't believe they killed Fitz like that, though. They were telegraphing Mack and Coulson and maybe even Daisy, and then he just gets creamed by a ton of bricks out of nowhere. It wasn't as obvious in the shot where he died, but in the initial reveal it looked like that piece of aluminum pretty much cut halfway through him.

Couple questions though, what was the stuff that May smashed on the floor when they were trying to decide what to do with the Centipede serum? And why is there a Fitz in outer space? I remember he froze himself at some point after the team got sent into the future, but I thought that version was sitting in a storage unit on Earth somewhere waiting for enough years to pass.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

She just spotted it right at the end of the fight, when she was about to get swallowed by Gravitalbot. It was sticking out of the front of her gauntlet.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

Chokes McGee posted:

That was the odium (lethal space PCP) they were planning on juicing Talbot up with. Basically, they had a choice to make, and May went "gently caress that" and made the choice for them.

Okay, I think I'm missing something. I thought the whole bit with the serum is that it was Centipede serum + Daisy's mom's blood, and they were going to use it on Talbot because they thought it would science him to death, OR use it to save Coulson, but they only had a single dose. In that context, I have no idea what the vial May smashed was, or how it would have influenced their decision.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

CAPT. Rainbowbeard posted:

This all took place in Jonathan Hickman's run on Avengers and New Avengers and it (the whole arc) is totally worth reading. It... doesn't end the way you think it's gonna.

Hickman's complete saga is one of my favorite runs of any comic ever, and I don't think I've ever read an Avengers comic before. I also loving love Black Panther in this series, and he'd always seemed like a boring hero that I'd never had any interest in.

I keep thinking about doing another re-read since I saw Endgame.

Phenotype fucked around with this message at 02:58 on May 3, 2019