Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Frog Act posted:

Sweet, I'm gonna pick it up, I was just a little concerned because in Dark Souls the first times through I often had phantoms help me with particularly difficult bosses and I sometimes think I might have gotten stuck and quit without that element, which the surge doesn't have, unfortunately.

See, the good thing about this is that the Surge forces you to get good. You can't cop out and call for friends, but you also won't get owned by lovely assholes who are still level 15 with +10 gear instead of the actual enemies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

untzthatshit
Oct 27, 2007

Snit Snitford

I bought this game deep on sale and sat on it for way too long, it is awesome. I played up until R&D and then went back and copped the DLC which I just finished Part 1 of and am now back at R&D because I was getting my rear end kicked by little drones in the 2nd area.

So I've got a couple new armor schematics that I want to try, the Mantis and the Hazard, but they require Mk 1 parts to create and no enemies in this area drop anything lower than Mk 2. I'd go back and grind them out in an earlier level except I can't find a way back from R&D, seems your stuck there when you fall through the vent shaft. Do I just have to wait until I'm finished with this area and then I can circle back around or is there some other route I'm missing?

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

untzthatshit posted:

So I've got a couple new armor schematics that I want to try, the Mantis and the Hazard, but they require Mk 1 parts to create and no enemies in this area drop anything lower than Mk 2. I'd go back and grind them out in an earlier level except I can't find a way back from R&D, seems your stuck there when you fall through the vent shaft. Do I just have to wait until I'm finished with this area and then I can circle back around or is there some other route I'm missing?

You can create them at MK II or III, just tab over using the right stick (it might be left stick) on the creation screen if I recall correctly. It costs more tech scrap but you don't have to go back to Abandoned Production that way.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
That also tripped me up, I had no idea you could craft stuff from Mark 2 and above, I thought you had to go down the whole upgrade tree until someone pointed it out on a stream lol.

untzthatshit
Oct 27, 2007

Snit Snitford

Ha ok great, solves that problem.

Sazabi
Feb 15, 2014

A-MA-ZON!!
Speaking of R&D where is the train back to creo world.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
It's adjacent to the ops center, in the main hall where Don Hackett is yammering on over the big screen. Just to the left of where you first left the main room and entered the labs.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Sazabi posted:

Speaking of R&D where is the train back to creo world.

There's no train, there's just a big door and you walk in. There's an alternate path from there that takes you down an elevator you may have noticed your first time through. The door has a big CREO World sign over it.

Sazabi
Feb 15, 2014

A-MA-ZON!!
Carbon Cat:staredog: that morph into stage two.
Definitely the hardest boss I've fought so far.

I'm also wondering how important is armor and how is it broken down? Like can I use any set that looks cool or has a set skill I like so long as I rank it up or should I be focused on having a minimum amount of armor at all times?

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
You can wear pretty much whatever you want, but you should focus on picking a set bonus you like and make most frequent use of. Generally the three armor classes represent heavy/medium/light armor, which corresponds to about 1/4th, 1/2, 1/3rd damage reduction accordingly. A basic way to judge it at a glance is, the more core power a set takes to wear, the better defense it'll give you. Don't mix and match pieces though, definitely try to pick a full set unless you're just wearing a specific piece for utility (like the Liquidator legs to prevent toxic goop from harming you).

edit: Do pay attention to the two little bullet points underneath an armor's name/core consumption though. Some armor pieces add stamina drain or reduce the energy your drone needs to fire, some prevent damage from toxic gas or goop, and so on. That stuff stacks and it really adds up when you're wearing 6 pieces that all give +5% stamina recovery speed or similar.

VodeAndreas
Apr 30, 2009

Picked this up in mid-year Steam sale and finally getting around to it, I half saw on a loading screen that you can counter attack, how?

Also when blocking you can jump/duck - how useful/needed is this, hasn't been mentioned by the game yet.

I've pretty thoroughly explored the first area and am up to the first boss, liking it so far and enjoying a Souls-like I can pause at will.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
The game will tell you how to do the duck/jump counter and what it's useful for in the second area via a tutorial popup thingy that was a bit late to the party. But basically, when you're ducking or jumping, you hit the attack button to do a counter. If you dodge an enemy's attack with the duck or jump and then smack them with the counter, it'll daze them and do a ton of damage. It works on virtually every enemy in the game. You never NEED it, but it's a really cool bit of tech that's super useful for fighting in tight spaces.

edit: It's also really good for breaking enemy chest armor because it does a lot of limb target damage. If you just want to kill them, though, you can target an enemy without selecting a limb to do the full amount.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 10:06 on Oct 20, 2018

VodeAndreas
Apr 30, 2009

Ah-hah, thanks, I'd figured it might be related to the block system so that makes sense that my two points were actually the same question :)

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

CJacobs posted:

The game will tell you how to do the duck/jump counter and what it's useful for in the second area via a tutorial popup thingy that was a bit late to the party. But basically, when you're ducking or jumping, you hit the attack button to do a counter. If you dodge an enemy's attack with the duck or jump and then smack them with the counter, it'll daze them and do a ton of damage. It works on virtually every enemy in the game. You never NEED it, but it's a really cool bit of tech that's super useful for fighting in tight spaces.

edit: It's also really good for breaking enemy chest armor because it does a lot of limb target damage. If you just want to kill them, though, you can target an enemy without selecting a limb to do the full amount.

Still not own the game (just played the demo on PS4) but watched a bunch of streams. Isn't there a boss that jumping is actually the best option over dodging? From the little I've played, charging and hitting then dodging backwards is usually the best tactic.

Dalaram
Jun 6, 2002

Marshall/Kirtaner 8/24 nevar forget! (omg pedo)

Guillermus posted:

Still not own the game (just played the demo on PS4) but watched a bunch of streams. Isn't there a boss that jumping is actually the best option over dodging? From the little I've played, charging and hitting then dodging backwards is usually the best tactic.

My reflexes may be crap, but I never felt like there was enough warning time to reliably dodge and do the counter - it was always safely to slide attack then block or hop back.

The slow robots with the low/high blade are the quintessential enemy that telegraph an attack you can duck or jump, but I almost always ate an attack doing it, even when specifically waiting for it.

VodeAndreas
Apr 30, 2009

Dalaram posted:

My reflexes may be crap, but I never felt like there was enough warning time to reliably dodge and do the counter - it was always safely to slide attack then block or hop back.

The slow robots with the low/high blade are the quintessential enemy that telegraph an attack you can duck or jump, but I almost always ate an attack doing it, even when specifically waiting for it.

Yeah I found the tutorial point for it with those robots and... failed horribly, dashing in and out is easy enough I'm not sure I'll learn the counter system unless forced.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer
The counter/vertical dodge system is basically for show offs, you’re better off not bothering most of the time because it has a really high punishment if you fail and isn’t that much better than just dodging normally.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
It's for when you want to play aggressively, because the duck+counter uses about as much stamina as a dodge does but also counts as an attack, where as dodging is just dodging. Really the counter is better for when you are facing an enemy whose moves you know already and can predict- hence why the wheely boys are so good for it, because they have only a couple attacks and they're all slow enough that you can predict thiem.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Ducking is also useful against the smelters. When they sound their alarm and do a 360, you can duck under their swinging arm.

EDIT: Also the tripodal robots (the rolling ones, not the fast walking ones) have a little welding torch they attack you with and their weak point in in their back leg. Their attacks are telegraphed specifically to encourage you to duck or jump and then counterattack so you can stun them.

Speedball fucked around with this message at 20:16 on Oct 20, 2018

Sazabi
Feb 15, 2014

A-MA-ZON!!

Speedball posted:

Ducking is also useful against the smelters. When they sound their alarm and do a 360, you can duck under their swinging arm.

EDIT: Also the tripodal robots (the rolling ones, not the fast walking ones) have a little welding torch they attack you with and their weak point in in their back leg. Their attacks are telegraphed specifically to encourage you to duck or jump and then counterattack so you can stun them.

That makes so much sense and explains there design philosophy. I've been wacking them in the front for 1 damage to build up energy then hitting them with the drone that sets the ground on fire. Cause the stand pretty still and is like the only time I use that drone.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
Had no idea that's what they meant by counterattacks. I thought that only referred to the riposte-of-sorts you get after blocking.

For the rolly bots I would originally just circle strafe a bunch around to their weakpoint, until I realized you temporarily cripple a front wheel which gets them to stop moving and waste time self-repairing.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

I like how the entrance to CREO World is clearly meant to be where tourists would come in from CREO World to have a very brief tour of the factory. Since there was a train track there in the vanilla game I wonder how far in advance they planned that or if it was a lucky coincidence.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
The tour is a cool bit of flavor because it follows an actual path you can trace via the footprints painted on the ground. The second entrance to CREO World in R&D is the end of the tour.

- You get off the train from CREO World in Central Production B
- The tour starts in front of Don's presentation about the DTS implant
- Winds through the open factory area with the wheely robot just to the right of that
- The next stop is the overlook viewing the turbines making the Resolve Juice (TM), near the Iron Maus cult friends
- Into R&D where the tour concludes on the show floor with all the info boxes and glass cases
- Which go clockwise around the edge of the room and end the tour right in front of the second entrance to CREO World

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 04:22 on Oct 21, 2018

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Speedball posted:

I like how the entrance to CREO World is clearly meant to be where tourists would come in from CREO World to have a very brief tour of the factory. Since there was a train track there in the vanilla game I wonder how far in advance they planned that or if it was a lucky coincidence.

Originally that train went to the Nucleus, what is currently the Nucleus shortcut was added when CREO World was added in.

The implication that there were constant tours happening in the factory and the path the tours took was already in the game, however, so it's likely there was some degree of forethought.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Where does the nucleus train shortcut go now, anyway? I haven't taken it since CREO World released because I was afraid they turned it into a one-way thing, because I can't think of any other train depots in the game!

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

CJacobs posted:

Where does the nucleus train shortcut go now, anyway? I haven't taken it since CREO World released because I was afraid they turned it into a one-way thing, because I can't think of any other train depots in the game!

So when you're standing at what is now the CREO World initial entrance, if you turn around there is a door. When you use the Nucleus shortcut, it goes to a new train that comes out of that doorway.

Essentially, the same place, they just added another train that sort of doesn't make structural sense to be there lol.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Wishlist for Surge 2 is still "more differences between weaponry" because while they all *look* pretty unique, there isn't a whole lotta mechanical difference between one single-rigged weapon or another. Not that that stops enemies. They can throw saw blades out of their lumberjack weapons all they want, but not me. And I can't use my rivet gun as a rivet gun!

Bloodborne kinda spoiled me for "every weapon is distinct" haha

Fellatio del Toro
Mar 21, 2009

TBF I used like 2 staves the whole game and it took me until the final area to realize that different weapons in the same class actually have different movesets

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Speedball posted:

Wishlist for Surge 2 is still "more differences between weaponry" because while they all *look* pretty unique, there isn't a whole lotta mechanical difference between one single-rigged weapon or another. Not that that stops enemies. They can throw saw blades out of their lumberjack weapons all they want, but not me. And I can't use my rivet gun as a rivet gun!

Bloodborne kinda spoiled me for "every weapon is distinct" haha

I really agree with this, they would do well to have fewer individual weapons that are more noticeably different imo.

However, The Surge uses mocap as far as I can tell, and has actual combos, so creating different movesets is probably a massive technical pain.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Lightning Knight posted:

I really agree with this, they would do well to have fewer individual weapons that are more noticeably different imo.

However, The Surge uses mocap as far as I can tell, and has actual combos, so creating different movesets is probably a massive technical pain.

Yeah, that's the limitation. They have actual animations for clashes between guys for all different weapon types, like doing a riposte on someone's single rig with your own before ripping his arm off.

VodeAndreas
Apr 30, 2009

A couple more dumb questions,

Should I be doing the theme park DLC straight away or leaving it to later? I haven't found the 2nd boss in the main game yet but I've been exploring long enough it can't be far.

Is there any reason to not just use all the scrap items I find seeing as I can bank them for later? I know there's some sort of heal/recharge on gaining scrap mechanic - is that the only reason you'd hold them?

Mainly using 1H and twin rigged so far, single rigged moveset is a bit slow and clunky for me, haven't found any good staves (well, I found one then gave it away).

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

VodeAndreas posted:

A couple more dumb questions,

Should I be doing the theme park DLC straight away or leaving it to later? I haven't found the 2nd boss in the main game yet but I've been exploring long enough it can't be far.

Is there any reason to not just use all the scrap items I find seeing as I can bank them for later? I know there's some sort of heal/recharge on gaining scrap mechanic - is that the only reason you'd hold them?

Mainly using 1H and twin rigged so far, single rigged moveset is a bit slow and clunky for me, haven't found any good staves (well, I found one then gave it away).

You should do the DLC as soon as it's available, it makes the most sense that way in terms of the story and it's about the same difficulty level as the comparable base game content when it first becomes available.

The scrap items can be safely used and banked but there's no harm in holding on to them either. They're literally just the same as soul items from Dark Souls, the worst thing you could do is use them all and then run around like that.

Single-rigged is good once you learn to attack from dodge and running, it has a long initial wind-up but if you dodge into an attack, it is quite fast and strong.

VodeAndreas
Apr 30, 2009

Thanks, yeah I'd done the first objective in the DLC (restoring power) - but wasn't sure if the difficulty would start ramping up too fast so left it there for now, guess I'll head back and give it a 2nd look.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
imo you should save the DLC until after you've beaten the second boss of the main game- when you finish Central Production B (the second area) you unlock a massive loopback that plops you pretty much right in front of the train. However you can also do it as soon as you come across the train if you want, it doesn't matter much.

VodeAndreas
Apr 30, 2009

Yeah I went back to where I finished playing yesterday I realised I'd turned back at the top of the stairs before the boss. Knocked it over first and explored the start of the next area - DLC felt a bit easier so I'll get it done before I reach the next tier of equipment.

Sazabi
Feb 15, 2014

A-MA-ZON!!
Nearing the end of the game and it feels like they cranked up difficulty 3 fold. Is there any trick to these spinning crazies in the Utopia hanger? Also lore question. why is Alec the worst father?

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Sazabi posted:

Nearing the end of the game and it feels like they cranked up difficulty 3 fold. Is there any trick to these spinning crazies in the Utopia hanger? Also lore question. why is Alec the worst father?

The trick to the Chrysalis mobs, imo, is to pay attention to which part of them has shifted blue and keep hammering that. By this point in the game, you shouldn't need materials or tech scrap that much anymore and it's just about winning the fight. Also avoid smacking them in the body if you can.

The lore surrounding Alec is super fascinating and one of the few major unanswered questions of the game for me is what exactly the nature of his daughter is.

Dalaram
Jun 6, 2002

Marshall/Kirtaner 8/24 nevar forget! (omg pedo)

Sazabi posted:

Low Duck the spin attack, and counter. You can usually get enough damage in after the counter to stagger then kill them.

untzthatshit
Oct 27, 2007

Snit Snitford

Finished the DLC and made it to the Nucleus. I'm fairly certain I managed to ruin every NPC question along the way.

- Never found the medicine for Davey, he's disappeared now and presumably dead.
- I accidentally smacked Irina in the 2nd encounter with her as a roaming enemy entered the hallway, making her hostile towards me and well, had to defend myself.
- Not sure how Jo's storyline was supposed to end but I don't think the best ending was me ransacking her hideout and stealing her sunglasses. Haven't heard from her since then.
- I was never able to find Alec's office so he just cried in the Ops center until he wandered outside and was immediately murdered less than ten feet from the door.
- The only NPC left alive is Hobbs and arguably, he's probably the one who most deserved to die

Honestly, I'm not even mad. Kinda gotta love a game that lets you do everything wrong.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Most of the sidequests are like Dark Souls in that you can screw them up easily and nobody is really better off for you completing them.

Regarding Jo, you probably missed the second encounter with her where she asks for even more scrap. Then instead of sunglasses her hideout has the murder weapon she's been crafting with your donated scrap. She'll show up in a third event after that demanding you reimburse her or give her the weapon back, but she will definitely kill Hobbs and then herself afterwards. If you don't give her reimbursement or the weapon, you can get Hobbs' side of the story and he says that Jo saw them kill her lover but not know why, he went psycho like many of the other berserkers running around. Up to you if you believe him but I think I do. If she kills Hobbs she leaves the weapon by his corpse so you get it back.

Jo is very easy to miss because she's just a voice in the vents, I totally missed all three encounters with her the first time I played.

Speedball fucked around with this message at 03:09 on Oct 23, 2018

• Locked thread