Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Ze Pollack posted:

to a certain degree it's just sensible preventative infrastructure development. poo poo's gonna happen at some point, it's a question of when.

yeah. its gonna happen and sooner than later especially with trump looking for "wins", the lovely tax bill will keep his ego stroked for a bit but no one likes it and that will go away with the next big gently caress up or the Russia poo poo. he might go to war with iran at some point, but i think even the military/IC knows how catastrophic that would be for the US and the region. if they are going to war. north korea is the "safer" pick. yes thousands/possibly million or so will die especially with trump in charge. but it will probably be contained with in the peninsula.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC
https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/946416486054285314

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/946460939578167296

Cool. Cool. This is fine. I'm not worried.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
steel yourselves for blud n slawter

fabergay egg
Mar 1, 2012

it's not a rhetorical question, for politely saying 'you are an idiot, you don't know what you are talking about'

D E H U M A N I Z E ___ Y O U R S E L F

A N D,;;; F A C E

T O

J U C H E

Dreddout
Oct 1, 2015

You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you.

Best Giraffe posted:

A N D,;;; F A C E

T O

J U C H E

The us military bungling the nk war so hard that we end up as a Juche puppet state can be the only way a Trump presidency could end

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

idk. i feel like this will get really, really bad. like pages of dead casualty figures in the news paper. not to mention Seoul getting blown to hell. we are already stretched thin because of Afghanistan and Iraq and trump keeps stretching us thiner and getting even more spec ops people killed in dumb poorly planned missions.

Dreddout
Oct 1, 2015

You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you.
Pros and cons of the Democratic People's Republic of North America

Pros:
legal weed
booming coal industry
annexation of Canada
JPDON
cool parades

Cons:
can't think of any atm

fabergay egg
Mar 1, 2012

it's not a rhetorical question, for politely saying 'you are an idiot, you don't know what you are talking about'

if kimmy boi will give us legal weed and cool parades then he'll, he has my vote

GoluboiOgon
Aug 19, 2017

by Nyc_Tattoo

Dapper_Swindler posted:

idk. i feel like this will get really, really bad. like pages of dead casualty figures in the news paper. not to mention Seoul getting blown to hell. we are already stretched thin because of Afghanistan and Iraq and trump keeps stretching us thiner and getting even more spec ops people killed in dumb poorly planned missions.

war with north korea would be horrifying, the worst war in world history to date. there are ~30k us troops in south korea now, who will probably all die if this goes nuclear. 36k us soldiers died in the first korean war over the period of years; there would be a similar death toll in the second over a week or so (as american troops slowly die of radiation poisoning).

north korea supposedly has the capability to hit most of the continental us with hydrogen bombs, but let's assume they can only hit Honolulu once. The island has a population of 1m, so we are talking about > 500k civilian us fatalities. there were 400k US casualties from WWII.

there are 75m koreans in both koreas. if we assume only a 10% fatality rate from nuclear war, this would still be more civilian casualties than the holocaust, only over the course of a week or so.

so it won't be like iraq, you won't even be able to fit the number of US casualties in a single newspaper.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

GoluboiOgon posted:

war with north korea would be horrifying, the worst war in world history to date. there are ~30k us troops in south korea now, who will probably all die if this goes nuclear. 36k us soldiers died in the first korean war over the period of years; there would be a similar death toll in the second over a week or so (as american troops slowly die of radiation poisoning).

north korea supposedly has the capability to hit most of the continental us with hydrogen bombs, but let's assume they can only hit Honolulu once. The island has a population of 1m, so we are talking about > 500k civilian us fatalities. there were 400k US casualties from WWII.

there are 75m koreans in both koreas. if we assume only a 10% fatality rate from nuclear war, this would still be more civilian casualties than the holocaust, only over the course of a week or so.

so it won't be like iraq, you won't even be able to fit the number of US casualties in a single newspaper.

yeah. the "best scenario" is a decapitation strike that actualy works and the utter wasting of the DMZ before NK can open fire on Seoul and their missile sites. none of thats gonna happen. my guess is there gonna keep testing, probaly one at new years or around then and at some point trump will say gently caress it and order a strike. probably a big dumb one like that MOAB strike in Afghanistan.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

GoluboiOgon posted:

the worst war in world history? 50-60 million died in ww2 buddy

GoluboiOgon
Aug 19, 2017

by Nyc_Tattoo

Phi230 posted:

the worst war in world history? 50-60 million died in ww2 buddy

higest rate of death / day i mean.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Worst war of the 21st century in any case. The only real question is, will there be a Kim Jong Un Must Go curse?

SpaceGoku
Jul 19, 2011

if trump starts a war with north korea most americans will be more annoyed that the olympics get canceled than any death toll

byob historian
Nov 5, 2008

I'm an animal abusing piece of shit! I deliberately poisoned my dog to death and think it's funny! I'm an irredeemable sack of human shit!

Best Giraffe posted:

A N D,;;; F A C E

T O

T R U M P

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

SpaceGoku posted:

if trump starts a war with north korea most americans will be more annoyed that the olympics get canceled than any death toll

ehh. if like 300 or 3000 soldiers die in a day/week. they will care. it took a couple of years for the american death tolls to climb in iraq and afganistan, enough for the average american to be "desensitized" to it.

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

Worst war of the 21st century in any case. The only real question is, will there be a Kim Jong Un Must Go curse?

what curse?

Lord of Pie
Mar 2, 2007

Dreddout posted:

Pros and cons of the Democratic People's Republic of North America

Pros:
legal weed
booming coal industry
annexation of Canada
JPDON
cool parades

Cons:
can't think of any atm

and we'll literally get to eat the rich

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!
ok im watchin :munch:

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them

SpaceGoku posted:

lol this is accurate fucjk us

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Can't wait to be in awe of the beauty of our weapons again.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

I hope that when trump gives the order he doesnt evacuate the civilians because that would tip off nk that war is innevitable. Element of surprise bing bong so simple as thousands of americans die from Seoul getting flatten in the counter attack

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
what would the rest of the world actually do if he just dropped a nuke on Pyongyang?

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
either china or nk would retaliate, so either south korea, or okinawa is getting nuked, and i think it's likely europe and the rest of the world would sanction the US completely

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

I like how even in this lefty loon forum people are still wringing their hands over American casualty figures, and not the million or so South Koreans who will be killed or maimed because Donald Trump couldn't handle being called a dotard.

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
Im honestly not sure how much nk would actually attack south korea in the case of a us invasion - their long term goal is unification, and they still see southerners as korean. Attacking anything more directly related to tge US seems more likely, abd if they can reach the continental us, that's where they'll go. Okinawa is important as a naval base, and even a naval nuclear strike against a carrier group honestly seems more likely.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

North Korea has attacked the South several times before when they think the US is being too provocative, including firing live artillery rounds onto an inhabited South Korean island. They're typically very minor instances, and most people have no clue they even happened because usually nobody dies. However, if the United States tries doing a decapitation strike or an incursion to destroy their nuclear weapons, the DPRK will retaliate and a lot of people will die. So when the North retaliates to our own acts of aggression, it's certain that Trump won't know how to do anything but keep escalating.

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
Oh sure, a retaliation is inevitable, and the instant the us crosses the dmz is the instant that entire parallel gets irradiated, but an major attack on seoul itself is i think unlikely, and definitely not a nuclear strike

If the us attacks immediately, without the consent of the south, i can see anti-us sentiment in the south rising, and post-war, that could be used by the north as a way to kick the us out of south korea, make way for china, and get some sort of limited unification

In other words - a unilateral strike by the us may present a possibility for the north to achieve its long term goal of unification, assuming it can survive, and it may not want to squander that opportunity by killing tonnes of people in seoul

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
I can also see china willing to make some major + serious concessions to the south, and be willing to act as arbitrator, if it means pushing the us out - and it will have the moral high ground/international support in doing so.

Lord of Pie
Mar 2, 2007

rudatron posted:

either china or nk would retaliate, so either south korea, or okinawa is getting nuked, and i think it's likely europe and the rest of the world would sanction the US completely

:bisonyes:

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

https://mobile.nytimes.com/2017/12/28/us/politics/trump-interview-excerpts.html

quote:

SCHMIDT: Explain your North Korea tweet to me today.

TRUMP: Which one?

SCHMIDT: You said about the oil, that China. …

[Cross talk.]

SCHMIDT: What’s going on there. Tell me about that.

TRUMP: Yeah, China. … China’s been. … I like very much President Xi. He treated me better than anybody’s ever been treated in the history of China. You know that. The presentations. … One of the great two days of anybody’s life and memory having to do with China. He’s a friend of mine, he likes me, I like him, we have a great chemistry together. He’s [inaudible] of the United States. …[Inaudible.] China’s hurting us very badly on trade, but I have been soft on China because the only thing more important to me than trade is war. O.K.?

[Cross talk with guests.]

_________

quote:

SCHMIDT: Can you finish your thought on North Korea. What’s going on with China?

TRUMP: I’m disappointed. You know that they found oil going into. …

SCHMIDT: But how recently?

TRUMP: It was very recently. In fact, I hate to say, it was reported this morning, and it was reported on Fox. Oil is going into North Korea. That wasn’t my deal!

SCHMIDT: What was the deal?

TRUMP: My deal was that, we’ve got to treat them rough. They’re a nuclear menace so we have to be very tough.

RUDDY: Mr. President, was that a picture from recent or was that months ago? I don’t know. …

TRUMP: Oil is going into North Korea, I know. Oil is going into North Korea. So I’m not happy about it.

SCHMIDT: So what are you going to do?

TRUMP: We’ll see. That I can’t tell you, Michael. But we’ll see. I can tell you one thing: This is a problem that should have been handled for the last 25 years. This is a problem, North Korea. That should have been handled for 25, 30 years, not by me. This should have been handled long before me. Long before this guy has whatever he has.

lol at the reporter pointing out the picture may be from months ago and Trump saying nah huh it was reported on Fox News today!

We should rename the thread to Watch Fox News Start A loving War.

paul_soccer10
Mar 28, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
[in conversation about potential nuclear war]

"The nice china president really likes me, he says i am his best friend and that he really likes me and thinks im cool. he likes me more than anyone has every liked anyone, thats how much he likes me"

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

:harambe:

Smythe posted:

i dont want to die.

:sad:

Fallen Hamprince
Nov 12, 2016

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

I like how even in this lefty loon forum people are still wringing their hands over American casualty figures, and not the million or so South Koreans who will be killed or maimed because Donald Trump couldn't handle being called a dotard.

no one is under the illusion that the american public would care about dead south koreans

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
i wonder how south koreans right now feel about the situation because there have been times when the U.S. media hyped war but the south korean public went :shrug:

makes me think trump is doing this mainly for domestic political reasons, like any other banana republic supremo

GoluboiOgon
Aug 19, 2017

by Nyc_Tattoo

BrutalistMcDonalds posted:

i wonder how south koreans right now feel about the situation because there have been times when the U.S. media hyped war but the south korean public went :shrug:

makes me think trump is doing this mainly for domestic political reasons, like any other banana republic supremo

from september

quote:

Gallup also said 59 percent of respondents were against the idea of the United States attacking North Korea first should North Korean provocations continue, while 33 percent said it should.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

Fallen Hamprince posted:

no one is under the illusion that the american public would care about dead south koreans

payments to samsung is like 25% of the cost of an iphone. they buy the screen from samsung. alternatives: LG, lol. i think high end xiaomi and poo poo is also samsung screens
so no such thing as a high end smartphone anymore if the samsung district is a smoking crater in the ground

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

https://twitter.com/axios/status/946746377773596672

Love to watch the President singlehandedly push for war and probably succeed.

TwoStepBoog
Apr 12, 2008

Evergreen tweet

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
the trumpy relaunches. we'll see.

and the general talking about preparing for a big war is not unusual, and that's been a thing with the u.s. military for this whole decade so far, but normally they use duller phraseology for it like "rebuilding core competencies."

of course war could start tomorrow haha!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

Since the OP is about pretense for war with Iran, who wants to call over/under until Trump declares Operation Iranian Freedom?