Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Barbed Tongues
Mar 16, 2012

Tariq al-Masayir, the Novus Fortuna Fate Points = 0

AtlantiComm CEO posted:

"What do you say? Buddies?" He offers you his hand and smiles threateningly.

Tariq takes a step backward at the look in the man's eyes. No. This was something entirely more than a man. Dangerous. Something clicked inside Tariq, an awareness that had been bubbling inside his consciousness for some months now, but had not yet expressed itself.

It broke loose. The hand thrust toward him seemed to glow in his eyes. A lens-flare that caused Tariq to squint until his vision focused.

A watch.

Emerald cufflinks.

Symbols of material wealth.

Tariq's instincts kicked back in. He'd been caught flat-footed in deals before. New information that forced a change in strategy, in tact. He put on his best diplomatic face. "I assure you there was nothing personal in the decision, though I suspect my instincts would tell me to take it personally were our roles reversed." His words betrayed his euro-learned accent, unlike the Atlantican dialect of his unexpected conversation partner. "It's a pleasure to meet you in person." Small talk, pleasantries, stalling.

Accept no deals yet, but neither dismiss them either. "What do you mean by Godli..."

Wally posted:

"Dude," he said to the the older man. "There's something in your eye."

The interruption was quite a relief.

Utilizing Royal Diplomat (+2) in an attempt to stall from making a commitment to the ex-AtlantiComm CEO while coming to terms with this new information.

Barbed Tongues fucked around with this message at 02:27 on Dec 17, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barbed Tongues
Mar 16, 2012

Tariq averts his gaze from the pair, half of him uninterested in what was going to happen next between Savage and the uncouth one. The other half of him breathed a sigh of relief that the AtlantiComm executive was focused on ... who was it? No matter. Time for a drink. He ordered something fancy, pleased that the bartender enjoyed the challenge. "Thank you."

Drink in hand, he collected his thoughts near the piano and its charming musician. Watching her work was calming, letting the music settle over him from a respectful distance was a reprieve.

He smiled back when she glanced at him, raising his drink in an appreciative salute. Small flashes of insight continued to spark across his vision, her necklace, her earrings. He'd always been good at appraisals, able to spot the fakes and forgeries among the street markets of the cities he visited. But this was something more. Godling.

"I'm going bloody insane." He followed his muttered epithet with two hard gulps, finishing up his cocktail - glancing side-wise at the nearest other party goer, a raven-haired woman with keen eyes and a impressive strength of personality, an Enronm exec at her side.

(Not resisting the Divine apathy.)

Barbed Tongues fucked around with this message at 02:28 on Dec 18, 2017

Barbed Tongues
Mar 16, 2012

"Tariq al-Masayir." He waits a tick to add his company name. "Novus Fortuna. I think we both got outbid for that fracking contract in the Jeddah wastes last quarter. Or did you win it in the end?" It was nice to get back to business talk. Though... there's something about her as well.

This time he doesn't hesitate in politely offering his hand with the introduction. His head tilts in the direction of Savage, but he doesn't actually look that way. "Yes - I'm up to my ears in the AtlantiComm split. People are mobilized, naturally, but I'm surprised one of the hoi polloi managed to get an invitation here. Still, it saved me from an awkward conversation. Perhaps I owe the protester one, all things considered."

He gently plucks a champagne flute from a passing server. "Regardless, it's a lovely venue tonight. The piano player is simply enchanting."

Barbed Tongues
Mar 16, 2012

"Yes... creative." Tariq hides the discordance of the descriptor with a sip of champagne. "I'm not quite used to his style, I suppose. Do you know much about his history? I thought AtlantiComm was founded in the fifties. But he confided something about centuries of corporate connections. It was... confusing. Or perhaps the jet lag is getting to me." He unconsciously blinked a few times, remembering the icons in Savage's eyes. This isn't jet lag.

Tariq's voice drops to a more conspiratorial whisper on the matter of the piano player. "Don't tell me she was in an accident of some sort?" He snuck another look in her direction, his curiosity a balm to his other thoughts.

Barbed Tongues
Mar 16, 2012

"He... Well." How to make sense of it. "He accused me of divine intervention in pick-pocketing Motoroza out from under him. Offered to introduce me to the the real powers and dominions... I assume of Atlantica City." Tariq shrugs, naming the catch. "If I toe the line on the web privatization ruckus. He said that my kind of 'new blood' could learn a lot from his kind of old guard."

He sighs, finishing up his champagne. "Maybe I should take him up on it. People are bound to think we're in bed together anyway, I suppose. But, I don't know..." He hedges before deciding to confess to the fellow CEO. "For some reason I get the feeling that he wanted AtlantiComm to be broken apart. That the layoffs and lost pensions and stock market dip - as if they all benefited him somehow. I just don't quite see the how of it, yet. Until I figure that out, I'm hesitant."

Barbed Tongues
Mar 16, 2012

Edea posted:

"What do you stand for?"

He almost offered the standard answer. The easy answer. The 'correct' answer at these types of things. An understanding of ethics, an expression of ambition, a espoused value of competition. His companion's eyes were ready for those, he saw, and he swallowed the words.

I don't stand for anything, he realized in a start.

Milton posted:

"That guy was kind of a prick, eh?"

For the second time, he was interrupted at just the right moment. "I'm sure he's been called worse." Tariq kept his eyes on the newcomer's - holding the muscles tight so they didn't linger on the other man's choice of attire. "Tariq al-Masayir. A pleasure to meet you, mister...?" He lifted his empty glass in a salute, finding the man's quip about handshakes draining his desire for one.

Barbed Tongues
Mar 16, 2012

Tariq lets the other man field that answer before him, buying him some time to... wait - had he disappeared again?

Regretting not having grabbed a new drink, he responds, taking a chance. "Actually, yes. Something like that - just a... new kind of focus. A honing in on certain things, as if they're trying to grab my attention." He frowns, not satisfied with that. "No, that's not exactly right. Not that they are alive in any sense. More like my instincts are telling me to take a closer look."

This time he does catch another server going by, swapping out his empty champagne glass. Off the defensive in struggling for an answer, he contemplates the rest of her description, brows furrowed, "How long have you been affected, exactly? Is there a treatment?"

Barbed Tongues
Mar 16, 2012

Tariq twirls the card in his hand, "Thank you Ms. Mater, I'll take that to heart. I imagine I will most certainly be in touch."

Later in his hotel, he conferenced with his PA, hiding out in his room as he considered.

"Munira, please reach out to Savage's people. He approached me about a possible joint venture but we weren't able to follow up. Start getting the details of his full proposal and work on drafting a robust risk assessment for whatever he suggests. If we do wind up pursuing an engagement, I want every possible contract iron tight."

(Utilizing Global CEO +4, try and get an inkling of how Savage wants us to toe the line.)

"Also... I want you to take a look at the severance files for all the Motoroza people that were let go after the AtlantiComm split, before we acquired. Send me a dossier on the best five, use your judgment - integrity and talent prioritized, please." He paused, "Or if anyone just jumps out at you. Thank you."

He ordered room service, and took in the view while he waited. Someone who needs my help. Let's see what we can find.

Barbed Tongues
Mar 16, 2012

Tariq set down Valentine's file for the third time. Slipping onto the balcony, he reached up for a long stretch of his arms, rubbing the tired from his eyes. I'm missing something. He was still looking at these people like a CEO. He was tempted to place a call to Edea, but doing so this quickly, and without anything to show for his nascent efforts was bit too embarrassing.

"I'm missing something." He said out loud this time. His normal instincts were pushing two individuals to the top of the list. Valentine - a possible asset against Savage, she might be used as an achille's heel or to trigger a provocation. Tariq also was drawn to Minerva - the recruiter. If he was going to pursue this new - I don't even know what to call it yet - avenue, she would likely be a better asset than Munira.

Inhaling deeply at the outside air, he returned to the folders and dossiers. He closed his eyes, doing a little meditative breathing. Stop overthinking. Listen to what these files are saying on another level.

(Using Material Wealth +2 to open Tariq up to more information about the dossiers. Mainly this is a kind of experiment - a sort of listening to prayers - as he tries to get comfortable with his abilities. Who needs his help the most? Can he get a sense of their debt/wealth ratios? Insights like that to help him bridge the gap between his mortal life and his divine domain.)

edit: if the action fails or deadends, set up a meeting with Minerva.

Barbed Tongues fucked around with this message at 15:47 on Dec 27, 2017

Barbed Tongues
Mar 16, 2012

Sleep went out the window. Tariq followed these new sensations and insights as if he were chasing the dragon. He pushed off a motivational call to an under-performing sales branch so that he could spend the next day immersed in the currents. When he finally did lay down to rest, his mind kept him awake, spinning in overdrive.

Eventually, some caution crept back in.

If he was going to pursue this (he was), then separating his new path from his old holdings would be good. Too many wildcards and unknowns - let alone possible malicious actors - were a risk that was unfair to place on his shareholders. He compiled a report to the boards on the state of Motoroza, the volatility of its market, the likelihood that it would take the fall on the net neutrality eviscerations, the likely intent of AtlantiComm to make an under-market bid and apply pressure to see the bid accepted.

A shifting of assets to see Motoroza held by a new company - linked, but not under the old.

The Novus Fortuna Network. This would be the brand and company heading that Tariq used to direct his divinity related assets. Savage's eyes on Motoroza made NFИ a logical home for it. If NFИ got crushed by his machinations, hopefully it wouldn't hurt Tariq's overall portfolio as bad. And if Savage brought enough leverage to bear that Motoroza had to be sacrificed, at least it was now nicely bundled up for transfer.

(Utilizing Global CEO +4 to create a new shell company to handle his adventures in godhood. Company Name = Novus Fortuna Network. Logo pictured above. Foundational asset to be the remains of Motoroza.)

Should NFИ be set up without a major hitch, Tariq will reach out to Xander Rochambo for talks about a new HQ for the new company.

Barbed Tongues fucked around with this message at 20:26 on Jan 2, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barbed Tongues
Mar 16, 2012

quote:

You manage to transfer a majority of the Motoroza assets without trouble, but somebody (Savage) gave the euroZone regulators a tip about the transfer and they want you to put up enough funds, approximately 40%, in escrow to be able to pay any possible fines related to their ongoing investigation into the net neutrality scandal.

Wishful thinking that he might leave us alone. Tariq considered his options. It was starting to wear on his ego, in fact, being pushed around like this. He could put up the funds from the main company, but that seemed like a surrender of sorts.

He reached out again to his PA. "Munira, see if Plumbata is still looking for a contract." The Salesman - it was the third time Tariq had switched his mind on who to contact. His normal staidness was all over the place. "See if he's free this week. I want to take him to the stock market."

(Utilizing Material Wealth +2 to go on a series of daytrading events, attempting to collect funds for that 40% escrow. Try and wow Plumbata, get a first believer.)

• Locked thread