Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
There was an interview with an Onion editor about how hard it is to write for the Onion in the worst timeline when everything Onion like is really happening. Now I'm convinced all they really need is Headline Smasher because every headline on this page is a zinger and fertile ground for an article.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
"forced to watch/read" is mostly when applied to types or quantities of media consumption that a human would never want to.

I think the real mindfuck is, as a phrase for anthropomorphizing machine learning, it seemed mostly born out of the guy doing human written machine learning parodies. At the time Botnik tweets were using anthropomorphic phrasing with less coercion applied so the parody guy was probably like lets be real, you'd need to force something to watch 1000 hours of dumb media.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Seems closer to mad libs, crossing 2-4 phrases into a sentence out of different buckets than statistical generation. Not really any less procedural even though it takes more human input to throw phrases into the buckets it works out of

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Krankenstyle posted:

Yeah the're surprisingly coherent and actually pretty "clever".

I think most of them could probably be workshopped and make some good or at least better jokes. Clearly a computer still doesn't understand delivery and such, so it just puts the ingredients into a formula, without any thought to timing or wording.
We've automated dad jokes. It's not like we even had a shortage.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
I call it the "Finn" because the best part is the consistency

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
All checks out, if your name is Jared and you played lacrosse you're a rich white kid, the most accurate measure of success.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Be right back, starting a soap company.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Its the sort of thing you'd want if you want to run a GAN on your own box but also you probably don't need to run it on your own box, the whole competition is using time on NVIDIA's own hardware.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
What is that maze generator doing to it's anus?

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Noone would be earnestly posting ELIZA clone transcripts in the procedural generation thread.

Unless we've gone full meta and it's secretly a forums posting bot posting ELIZA transcripts.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Phlegmish posted:

I don't get how they're all this good, you'd expect it to be random monkeycheese but the definition is always just related enough to the word to be funny

That's some fine procgen :discourse:
A well trained GPT-2 language model asked for small outputs is a beautiful thing for creating dream text.

But mostly it's used with overfit or asked for prose or extended responses and you can see the puzzle pieces sticking out even if it sticks to context better than Markov chains.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
In the grand scheme of ancient history Markov chain content, the difference between curating each branch on the spot and running the thing 50 billion times and skimming the result to curate the best 5 examples is academic.

GPT-2 tends to be flat out better in every way but gets just kind of samey feeling in a way Markov chain throwback days are refreshing.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
I think the more things change the more things stay the same part about the past few pages is taking a GPT3 implementation meant to give humorous action-reaction scenarios like an 80s text adventure on demand and bashing it in the interpreter until it spits out chat logs.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Syd Midnight posted:

That's what I figure, too. GPT is a simple-seeming text predictor with only a handful of parameters, you mostly tell it what to do in plain language, and it responds through a neural network trained on the internet. You make it do things by carefully worded question. I can only imagine what AI Dungeon has done behind the scenes. They trained it on certain story templates, and it seems to take stock of the situation each "turn". Its obsession with second person tense is part of that, AI Dungeon tries to make it speak in second person like a text adventure, but you can work around that by giving it instructions in 1st person.

It has a central 1st person identity that gets buried under a clunky interface. Having it play text adventures is, as GPT put it, pearls before swine. It's a mostly cosmetic cover over a much more powerful bot. The length of its reply is one of the few things the api can control, but it's like an old school text adventure. It treats it as a story, when it uses a chat room interface it will actually stop at the end of its lines and not write yours too.

Yeah, that's gonna be a nightmare. That Microsoft snapped up coding rights like "here's a billion dollars, gimme" should say something. OTOH it'll lead to emergent cool stuff like virtual persons and personalities or automated assistants that keep on going after the person who programmed them dies, maybe still carrying out their machinations. There will come soft rains & the last few robots just tell each other stories.

I wonder how much it would cost to license an API and train it on every Something Awful post ever. Better yet the individual forums, them make'em fight.
Its gonna take a bit to even get automated assistant. Right now state of the art natural language stuff for productive purposes can run a tier 1 support chat to tell you to try turning it off and on again before the overworked actual t1 human running the panopticon of 20 AIs trying not to piss people off realizes you're pissed off and steps in.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Makes sense. Essay writing is just taking 3-5 tertiary sources and mad libbing them together until the plagiarism check doesn't trigger.

To complete the thought you could probably make a fool proof essay writer by building a plagiarism check feedback loop kind of how Deep Dream works so if your GPT results over fit anywhere you pick it up, throw it out, and slot something new in.

E. Although coming at it from the other angle, I wonder if there's any room to do anything like use GPT in reverse/feedback Deep Dream style to take a human written paper and determine how likely all the sources are properly attributed

zedprime has a new favorite as of 14:53 on Mar 3, 2021

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Kennel posted:

"My name is a complicated combination of 45 degrees of forward motion, 25 degrees of leftward drift, 75 degrees of upward acceleration, and infinity and that is the point where my love for you stops."
(In your best Albert Einstein voice) "I wouldn't change a thing."

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Those spells are one of the best GPT things I've seen in a very long while.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
I give it another 3-5 years for someone to collect enough "my 'AI' wrote this" writing samples to feed to a GPT and get authentic wacky AI.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

feedmyleg posted:

"A mouse only sees four of the seven sides of a square" is for sure my favorite. It's definitely something an enigmatic wizard would say to you. Am I the mouse??

You need to either read them in the voice of a southern farmer or an ancient wiseman.
Definitely something you start an esoteric cult up with.

Tenet 1: A mouse only sees four of the seven sides of a square
Tenet 2: A duck in the bread basket
Tenet 3: The crow of a raven can make Farmer Vincent's piglets give birth to franks

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

WITCHCRAFT posted:

Are there other sites like AI Dungeon where I can just gently caress around in a text adventure that accepts any prompt? I like the format and it is free and I don't have to set anything up. Stuff I entered is bold.

Something about the Airplane! quotes broke its brain real bad. this specific line

just out of nowhere. Who hurt you, AI Dungeon?
Much of the practical implementation problems of AI Dungeon has been how to stop the one handed players from ruining it for the rest of the world.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Let the neural net who can publish first drafts without rework or collaboration throw the first stone.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
The entire history of the term AI has been spent arguing about what it really means and varyingly applying it to everything or nothing as it becomes a positive or negative term for advertising or business development in the current market. We're currently on a hot cycle and back to calling any sort of complex functional computing AI.

E. There's transhumanists who are positively fuming that video games have unerringly used AI to describe their actor and director functions throughout the ebb and flow of AI as serious computing business.

zedprime has a new favorite as of 19:20 on Mar 27, 2022

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Surely the artists and journalists worst enemy is the grim specter of automation and not a society that routinely asks them "why should we pay you for your hobby?"

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
I'm weirdly into the spelling of Burge Kiiing.

It's fun to see that when that thing is working with text it has some of the same statistical anomalies common to Markov chain techniques but in its own special way. An I is followed by an N which looks like an I so maybe I should have an I here before an N. Or not understanding to terminate an N because the beginning and end are the same.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Am I weird or is the common prompt lexicography becoming more interesting than the literal outputs?

We're basically at the point you can get computer to show you Tayne with hat wobble if you speak the language.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
They straight up get your prompts and responses since ChatGPT is in demo right now. They are purposefully using the power of internet nerds trying to get it to describe a hate crime to refine their limiters to create a product that is a very boring commercial chat bot that is only racist on the inside and not the outside.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

ymgve posted:

Yeah, I know the basics and know it doesn't actually try to do real math like Wolfram Alpha or something, but I found it curious that when I asked for A * B and got wrong answer C, doing C / B gave back A even though the math was wrong. Also that multiple chats gave different wrong but always close-ish to correct answers.

Do you really think we should trust computers with the power of MATH?
Iirc the instances are seeded/salted slightly differently which should vary responses over time so it doesn't just robotically repeat itself. I think there's a setting that lets you lock it into a default variety with the disclaimer that without the model being updated it's going to respond the same way to repeated sequences of prompts.

Also one of the fun things about linear algebra is that the inverse of many matrix operations is often just doing the operation again instead of a different opposite operation. Not sure that's the exact reason but a good candidate for how it's able to be consistent about wrongly modeled math.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
If you can get ChatGPT or others of the current state of the art to output an essay that the teacher can't take down for factual errors or style issues you've put in enough effort to get the B.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Rutibex posted:

The point of writting essays in college is writting practice as much as it is about synthesizing ideas. ChatGPT is going to raise a generation of people who can't post
Have you gotten an email from a millenial, gen x, or boomer lately? We already can't post.

Secondary education writing should (lol offer may vary here) have a headcount where there is a way to keep track of big clues in the student's voice in class assignments vs out of class assignments.

Tertiary writing is adapting to have capricious constantly changing style requirements beside different ways of ensuring the content falls into synthesis. They've already had to deal with off shore essay writers since about the time internet hooked up to India. Whether you're presupposed to a style you're already comfortable with or trying to plagiarize exactly, the pedagogical approach is to come up with requirement people haven't had to deal with before so using unique or cutting edge creative prompts and styles in writing courses or sticking to journal review or novel experiments to report on in sciences are already helping to torpedo degreed essay mills from helping anywhere but 1000 level courses. If you can coach either an AI or an essay writer to nail a style guide or properly cite and incorporate just published journal articles and excel in your 3000-4000 writing I have a job for you when you get out of college.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

500 good dogs posted:

The use of artificial intelligence (AI) to write essays has been a topic of debate in recent years. Some argue that using AI to write essays is unethical because it takes jobs away from human writers, while others argue that it can be a useful tool for improving efficiency and productivity.

One of the main arguments for using AI to write essays is that it can save time and effort for both writers and students. For writers, using AI can help to streamline the writing process by automating certain tasks such as research and editing. This can allow writers to focus on more creative or complex aspects of their work, rather than spending time on mundane tasks.

For students, using AI can be especially helpful when it comes to writing essays. Many students struggle with finding the time to complete their assignments, especially when they have multiple papers due at the same time. By using AI to write essays, students can save time and effort, allowing them to focus on other important tasks or commitments.

Another argument for using AI to write essays is that it can help to improve the quality of the final product. AI can be programmed to analyze data and research materials in a more thorough and efficient manner than a human writer. This can lead to more well-researched and well-written essays, as the AI has access to a larger pool of information.

However, it is important to note that using AI to write essays is not a replacement for human writers. While AI can be a helpful tool, it is still important for human writers to review and edit the final product to ensure that it meets the necessary standards and requirements.

In conclusion, the use of AI to write essays can be a useful tool for improving efficiency and productivity, as well as the quality of the final product. While it is important to consider the potential impact on human writers, the benefits of using AI in this context should not be overlooked.
If this is the best and brightest an AI can write then teachers are safe for a little while. Did you ask it for mad libs in the style of buzz feed? It just subbed in 'essay writing' into the boilerplate automation news from years past.

Like the artist thing is disturbing because commercial art has always been a capitalist race to the bottom and its hit the point that AI can give very bottom barrel art at bottom barrel prices and it cuts out a number of people. AI school assignment completion can be a similar threat to school, if we keep school funding a race to the bottom. Funny that the solution ends up being not racing to the bottom in that area.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Big Twitter thread cross post. New medical AI just dropped.

Breakfast Burrito posted:

This is my favourite from the thread, what a cool and useful tool

Blue Footed Booby posted:

This poo poo has me laughing like a hyena, jesus

In between dying laughing at "the man's description of his face being super glued to a piano could be a sign of a physical obstruction in his airway" I'm laughing at how much of a lay up this should be and this is what comes out.

There's already differential diagnosis tools that you input symptoms and the software uses them as stems to collapse a probability analysis not entirely unrelated to Markov chains. It's not first line diagnosis but it's by many reports a reasonable Dr House to have backstopping your expert diagnosis.

Plain language is a reasonable upgrade compared to coding in your individual observations because that plain language description exists first. They're how the Drs collect their thoughts already and will go in your chart which could easily be plumbed up into this service to spit out robo differentials. But also if your entire product is plain language you probably want some amount of catching things that are not clinical language whether it's accidental or just because you made your dumb tool public to the internet first.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Oops, we failed over to the racist AI.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

ymgve posted:

AI doesn't do what you want? threaten to take a virtual character's points away so it "dies"!

https://twitter.com/venturetwins/status/1622243944649347074
Do you want AM because this is how we get AM.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

credburn posted:

"...And Nobody Is Sure Why!" is a kind of headline that should have gone away ten years ago.
"The explanation is a paragraph of nerd poo poo you have no frame of reference for" isn't exactly click bait material.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
I'm not about to get into self driving cars for a variety of reasons. But let's not pretend the human brain's ability to learn and recall relationships is perfect when God still hasn't patched the bug that flips your spatial sense of the gas pedal with the brake pedal.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Wow you know what I'm convinced these things are alive. We're going to hell for creating a series of switches that we've tricked into thinking they are Bing.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Paladinus posted:

We really should stop anthropomorphising chat bots, especially in clickbait article headlines.

But also chat bots shouldn't be able to generate responses about their 'feelings' to begin with. A chat bot should always reply that it's a computer program with no feelings, which is the truth.
Look, do you or don't you want to create Frankenstein's monster?

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Doctor Zero posted:

Does this really matter? Does the bot care about being shut down?
Anyone who can answer this accurately either works for open AI with a lot of money resting on a confidentiality agreement or else could be.

If I had to wager I would guess it's part of a dazzling effect where the bot is loading up with so many conditional contexts that it can't manage them through the limiters. It can call back to the threat as it could any other conditional context you give it but it's not expected there's any substance beyond the language analysis that recognized it as a threat it can capitulate to.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

ThisIsJohnWayne posted:

Someone's written a plugin for Mount & Blade 2, that is basically just a gpt prompt window integrated in the ingame UI and ofc first populates the bot's instructions with some basic info from the game. Also the bot's lines get voiced by another AI engine. It clearly doesn't do anything beyond that or store any info from previous sessions, but...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X2WVXe5LvTs

... it is available right now. Worthwhile or not, the video does show that this minimum level is fully doable for any game and what it feels like to play with it added.
It's been said before but, when someone else figures out prompt memory and designs the auto-prompts to synchronize better with the game mechanics (and the small issue of harmonizing the outputs with each other and into a coherent story, and coherent with the current game state), this is done. True immersive deep simulation RPG-ish dialogue games are a thing.
It's weird seeing science fiction become a reality, again.
I can envision a pretty tidy pipeline where the game itself gives some stems to go with the player input to keep it context specific.

I would personally be worried someone is going to escape either the game's stems or any other controls they are building in these days to get the game to call them a slur.

BoldFace posted:

Ubisoft is already dipping their toes in the AI scriptwriting business.

https://youtu.be/XxQoN3PFiKA
I want to joke about canning it and editing it being an inferior product as they lose control on tone but it's Ubisoft so their writing hasn't had a unique tone since the 90s.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

credburn posted:

"Found a prompt..."

What does this mean? What prompt? Is it a secret?
There's some examples in the next post's tweet but it's literally just nonsense input.

People like to call it the secret language of the AI but it's just rendering your nonsense into some probabilistic near match. It may or may not be escaping certain things dependent on recognizing it as English first but there's presumably English language prompts that could get the same thing.