Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Boof Bonser
Jan 26, 2015

nvj is touched by your generosity!
Actually quite on board with rooting out pedos and gropers but trying to ruin someone's career over 20-year-old obvious satire because he called some reporter frumpy-looking seems a bit silly.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/outl...m=.90506bdd1841

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boof Bonser
Jan 26, 2015

paul_soccer10 posted:

the things he and ames wrote are totally normal

Also it seems like Ames was responsible for like 95% of the more objectionable content but Taibbi is more famous so he's the one we need to pearl-clutch about, apparently

Boof Bonser
Jan 26, 2015

basic hitler posted:

Matt Taibbi used coarse language?! loving no way!

He made jokes about getting blowjobs.

BLOWJOBS I TELL YOU BLOWJOBS

Boof Bonser
Jan 26, 2015

Groovelord Neato posted:

uhhh wasn't the eXile mocking expat bros?

Yeah it was admittedly pretty clumsy satire but loving obviously satire nonetheless.

But he called some WaPo reporter "matronly" and she's obviously so stung about it that 20 years later she's writing a :laffo: #MeToo column about it so we should definitely ruin his career now even though he's one of the better and more entertaining journalists working

Boof Bonser
Jan 26, 2015

Zorodius posted:

kinda lovely to the actual abuse victims to hitch your fat ankle trailer to their wagon.

Yeah I'm a dude so it's going to come out sounding concern-trolly coming from me, but oh well: It's absolutely bullshit to lump someone calling you ugly in with someone holding you down and jerking off into a potted plant. Give me a loving break.

Boof Bonser
Jan 26, 2015

extra stout posted:

holy poo poo journalism is garbage

i just tried to read that and eventually just dozed off in a haze of not caring about her huge set up for how hard it is to be insulted, like every human ever born hasn't heard a joke about their appearance, then some fucker ive never heard of, then russia, then a book the abortion threats or death threats or some poo poo

like four pages in and there's no coherent topic other than 'im mad and doing poorly at getting other people to join me'

I like the part at the end where she says "you don't have to have actually had something bad happen to you in order to be part of the #MeToo" movement.

Uh, I thought the whole point was that you did have to actually be the victim of harassment?

Boof Bonser
Jan 26, 2015

paul_soccer10 posted:

the things he and ames wrote are totally normal

Question: Do you think Vladimir Nabokov is a real pedophile?

Boof Bonser
Jan 26, 2015

Best Bi Geek Squid posted:

hello matt taibbi

I would like to get paid to write fun things

Boof Bonser
Jan 26, 2015

Bored posted:

It looks like he was pretty proud of dating a teenager. These guys are super gross, according to the article.

That was Ames in the article, and a great deal of it was made up anyhow. So it doesn't really look like that unless you're grossly misreading the article.

Boof Bonser
Jan 26, 2015

Is the new standard now that you deserve to have your career ruined because you made crude remarks about a woman's appearance when you were like 25?

Looks like I'll be quitting my job along with literally every other man and about 80% of the women alive.

Boof Bonser
Jan 26, 2015

Squashing Machine posted:

The new standard is that you see a bunch of people getting positive attention from a large generalized social moment and you think "gee, I'd really like if some of that was directed at me currently, maybe"

I would understand it so much more if it were that simple and cynical, but the author of that WaPo article seemed genuinely MAF about this 20 years later, which suggests that she's gotta be some kind of demented narcissist.

Boof Bonser
Jan 26, 2015

Duckbox posted:

I think this is even worse than your typical cynical plea for attention. I think this self-centered moron actually did see all the rape/harrassment stuff and think "me too" because everything is about her and she has no sense of proportion. The line about how hurt her daughter definitely was about seeing mom smeared in an obscure Russian expat paper is amazing.

That part made me literally lol. WHAT WAS I GOING TO TELL MY DAUGHTERS? Uh, nothing, because they're going to junior high in the U.S. and not reading weirdo expat zines in Moscow?

Boof Bonser
Jan 26, 2015

Fruits of the sea posted:

The book was pretty popular, so probably that is what she is referencing and not the paper itself.

Been a while since I read the Exile, but from what I recall it was trying hard to paint them as rockstar gonzo journalists? That makes Taibbi and Ames assholes by definition, it's kind of what they were going for. Hasn't aged well, in this climate.

There's no denying that it's bad. Sort of watered down Tucker Max in Russia with grander political aspirations. But, like, who cares. The worst parts are entirely made up anyway, and it's obviously tongue-in-cheek. The idea that we should disregard some of the better long-form journalism of the last 10 years because they told dirty jokes in their 20s is retarded.

Boof Bonser
Jan 26, 2015

CassandraZara posted:

I believe victims, personally.

Did you read the article? Nobody is even alleging that they were a victim of anything worse than low-grade name calling.

Boof Bonser
Jan 26, 2015

basic hitler posted:

This is loving ridiculous and trying to ruin matt taibbi because he said some rude poo poo to you comes off as pathetic. Its not like you'll be the last person he ever insults.

Also he even mentioned in her article that he apologized to her publicly and said he had no real need to make gratuitous comments about her looks, so it's not like he's sticking to his guns here. Even though he could, because I Googled her and "matronly" actually seems fair.

Boof Bonser
Jan 26, 2015

Squashing Machine posted:

I don't even give a gently caress about the Taib, but we're coming due to the moment when we have to start saying "stop trying to profit off the bandwagon," like if you let this poo poo over the plate in terms of what constitutes real and actual abuse then we're all boned

Not to mention that there's gotta be a point where we feel more sympathy for the guy getting his career ruined than we do for the quote-unquote victim. Like, fine, if you're running around putting your hand up interns' skirts, gently caress you and enjoy unemployment. But I don't really feel good about ruining journalists' careers because they got drunk at age 23 and called some chick ugly.

Boof Bonser
Jan 26, 2015

CassandraZara posted:

Sounds like you need to retake your company's equal opportunity seminar.
I was hungover for most of 1L conlaw, but I'm reasonably sure that printing crude satire is legal.

Boof Bonser
Jan 26, 2015

mike12345 posted:

I don't think it got better, it went from bro-culture to intellectualized pua/incel/mra movement.

I was actually just thinking about this the other day. I think a reasonable person could draw a pretty straight line between mid-00s fratire, PUAs in their furry tophats, MRAs, the alt-right and the current president. :tinfoil:

Boof Bonser
Jan 26, 2015

Some of the Sheep posted:

Oh I see, well that obviously makes it all better.

I assume this is sarcasm but if the options are (i.) the account you quoted is a non-fiction account of actual sexual harassment or (ii.) the account you quoted is a clumsy but fortunately fictional attempt at satire, how on earth does the second one being the case not make the situation better?

Boof Bonser
Jan 26, 2015

The cynical explanation for Franken is that Dems needed to get rid of him to have the high ground on Trump/Moore and it was NBD anyhow because he'll be replaced with a Democrat. The less cynical explanation is that it's just harder being the good guys. I expect it's a little from column A and a little from column B.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boof Bonser
Jan 26, 2015

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

It's really, really bad news to have a high-ranking guy in your party who shows just absolutely poo poo-awful judgement on big ethical scandal issues, even if you don't actually care that he's running around groping women and having his bros take pictures of it or whatever. People in the base do care, so Franken was a ticking blackmail time bomb, which made him a liability to the party and would have neutralized him as an effective advocate for any policy anyone important opposes if he wasn't already a Democrat and therefore inherently an ineffective force for any policy anyone important opposes. It's the same logic by which security clearances screen for high debt loads and other signs of a crippling personal weakness someone could come along and exploit. The Dems' opportunity to leverage it as a propaganda move against Trump and Moore was sort of blunted by how obviously grudgingly and reluctantly they cleaned house.
Agree. Frankly I'm just really glad this came out now and not after Franken won the 2020 primary.

• Locked thread