Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Squashing Machine
Jul 5, 2005

I mean boning, the wild mambo, the hunka chunka
You don't actually have to be a victim of anything other than oblique roasting to come forward and be a strong brave member of the #resistance

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Squashing Machine
Jul 5, 2005

I will be publishing a brave and true memoir calling out everyone in high school who ever called me gay so they can be summarily removed from their unearned societal positions

Squashing Machine
Jul 5, 2005

Boof Bonser posted:

Is the new standard now that you deserve to have your career ruined because you made crude remarks about a woman's appearance when you were like 25?

Looks like I'll be quitting my job along with literally every other man and about 80% of the women alive.

The new standard is that you see a bunch of people getting positive attention from a large generalized social moment and you think "gee, I'd really like if some of that was directed at me currently, maybe"

Squashing Machine
Jul 5, 2005

Is anyone paying attention to me right now? If NO, go through your mental archives for something you might be able to attach to a popular hashtag and dig it up for some short-term sympathy, the only currency that matters now, for gently caress's sake

Squashing Machine
Jul 5, 2005

I don't even give a gently caress about the Taib, but we're coming due to the moment when we have to start saying "stop trying to profit off the bandwagon," like if you let this poo poo over the plate in terms of what constitutes real and actual abuse then we're all boned

Squashing Machine
Jul 5, 2005

Boof Bonser posted:

Not to mention that there's gotta be a point where we feel more sympathy for the guy getting his career ruined than we do for the quote-unquote victim. Like, fine, if you're running around putting your hand up interns' skirts, gently caress you and enjoy unemployment. But I don't really feel good about ruining journalists' careers because they got drunk at age 23 and called some chick ugly.

Hell, in this case I already do. Dredging up dumb poo poo from 20 years ago for some late-game sympathy and ad revenue because you're still holding a grudge is like the weakest poo poo ever, there's no offense too minor to get included in the hashtag I guess

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Squashing Machine
Jul 5, 2005

Frosted Flake posted:

That guy from a band apologizing for consensual sex in a relationship is a strong contender too.

https://www.facebook.com/Pinegroveband/posts/10155748505559774

It's almost like the current social moment is giving a lot of people who are already prone to low self-esteem and self-hatred a convenient explanation and outlet for their negative feelings

I'm seeing so many talented and genuinely good guys fall down this hole of "oh god I'm so full of SIN" based on their in-born traits and completely normal interactions with other people, and instead of saying "hey man, you really don't need to do this, you're doing relatively okay," people either call them brave for being so open about their privileges or go after them for not being contrite enough, which just contributes to that cycle

Like Dan Harmon is going to be dead within 10 years because it's obvious that he's using social justice and his own original sin of privilege as a framework to explain why he still hates being alive despite being rich and creatively respected

• Locked thread