Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«8 »
Magog
Jan 9, 2010

I'm 27 and I've been with my same age partner for 8 years this month, let's call her Jane.

For the most part I think our relationship is okay and we are loving and still very affectionate. I still love Jane but I feel like it's now becoming questionable if this relationship can continue for much longer.

Firstly, I am Jane's only boyfriend, for the first couple of years I had to live through her high school dating life as she kept almost or actually breaking up with me and placing unrealistic expectations on me. Eventually however Jane seemed to mature and things started to be a lot more stable from then on.

However, when we do fight Jane still engages in this kind of extreme gaslighting and antagonizes the situation, refuses any contrition or attempt to de-escalate until it gets very heated at which point she decides to walk away and ignore it.

I've been patiently hoping that we could learn how to resolve this pattern of behaviour, which I now think isn't going to happen and I was pretty naive. It also doesn't help that Jane seems to make a lot of decisions for us, she asks my opinion but seemingly only on the off-chance I agree with her, if I don't she pushes ahead anyway.

I also am a bit turned off by her compulsive eating, it's not her body, I still find her attractive physically but her lack of willpower is really frustrating, she'll start and break a diet several times a week sometimes.

I think I am set on a career now and I'd really value having a more calm partner, I really can't be fighting the entire night anymore I need that energy for more productive things.

So I've been discontent for the last year or so but until recently I've just resigned myself to sticking by her and saying to myself that if Jane ever died on me I wouldn't be willing to go through the trials and tribulations of building another relationship.

So then there's Emilia, I met her when she was a funeral arranger for a company we work with as we work with grieving families. The first time I met her I found her attractive and unlike many arrangers showed genuine compassion and she also happens to fall in the small group of people I feel immediately a lot more comfortable with as being a goon I have some level of social awkwardness. But I didn't think about her much right then.

Her company changed management and she resigned, so when she walked into our office to interview for a position I was excited and very hopeful she'd get chosen but I thought it was Platonic in nature.

Everything changed the day she came in on her first day, I suddenly realise my feelings are much stronger, I didn't think I was capable of feeling like this anymore, I haven't since I was a teenager. I can't stop thinking about her, I am very close to asking her on a date.

I think there may be something there, I don't know that our co-workers would suspect my feelings but Emilia should given I've taken almost any chance to chat and find out more about her and a little playful/flirty and not felt any resistance.

So as the thread title says, Emilia is 43 years old. She has been divorced 11 years and I hear she is looking for someone now too. She has a 16 year old son who currently lives with his dad. I don't particularly have an issue with any of this, she hides her age well, her divorce is long past and her son is mostly independent and seems like he is a nice kid.

I do worry I suppose about 20+ years from now but that also presumes a successful relationship for 20 years so I think I can handle that.

Guys I have no idea what I'm doing honestly, I wasn't looking so I'm in the awkward position of being in a relationship and I would even just love to give Emilia some companionship if that's all she wants, but I also don't really want to have an ongoing affair, if we hit it off I'll break it off with Jane.But I haven't dealt with this large an age gap before so I'm not sure what to do.

I need to avoid my relationship disqualifying me to Emilia, I need to get to know Emilia more to decide what to do and I need to do that before she potentially meets somebody else plus I guess if Emilia and I aren't going to happen I guess I don't want to ruin my current relationship just yet either.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Clear off, fatso, this is a respectable establishment

Lipstick Apathy

Honestly it sounds like you'd benefit from a bit of time not being in a relationship with anyone. You've been locked into one unhealthy relationship since you were 19! You don't even know who you are outside a relationship and I think it's important to find that out. I realise it's easier said than done though.

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

First things first: chill the gently caress out with Emilia. You don't mention anywhere whether she has shown you any signs of interest, beyond professional courtesy. Now that you work at the same place, things could go really badly if you keep pursuing and she's not interested.

You're pretty clearly idealizing her. You're in in unhappy relationship, and you imagine this other woman to be your savior from it, based mostly on the fact that you don't know her well enough to know how passive-aggressive she is to a long term significant other. You know she's polite to co-workers and family members of deceased people, that's about it.

Second, break up with your girlfriend if you don't love her. Stay together if you do. I don't really care.

Magog posted:

So I've been discontent for the last year or so but until recently I've just resigned myself to sticking by her and saying to myself that if Jane ever died on me I wouldn't be willing to go through the trials and tribulations of building another relationship.

Magog posted:

I do worry I suppose about 20+ years from now but that also presumes a successful relationship for 20 years so I think I can handle that.
These are both huge red flags. You're 27 and making plans around your girlfriend dying. I'm not sure what that means but it's not a normal thought to have. Looking at someone you've never even been on a date with and thinking about you 20-year relationship is also not normal. The meaning is pretty clear though: you're focusing on a fantasy version of this woman and not on the reality where you're a much younger dude who pesters her at work.

HopperUK posted:

Honestly it sounds like you'd benefit from a bit of time not being in a relationship with anyone. You've been locked into one unhealthy relationship since you were 19! You don't even know who you are outside a relationship and I think it's important to find that out. I realise it's easier said than done though.

Yea the last red flag is conflating these two problems into one singular one. You're operating on the assumption that you need to be with at least one of these two people. In general you have a lot of weird ideas about relationships. You should really focus on addressing those because they are going to continue to cause problems for you regardless of how you handle the current situation.

SleepySonata
Mar 3, 2010

Tbh I stopped paying attention after "she hides her age well".

Jane 'nd gently caress ~♡*the older one*♡~

boho
Oct 4, 2011

on fire and loving it

SleepySonata posted:

Tbh I stopped paying attention after "she hides her age well".

Jane 'nd gently caress ~♡*the older one*♡~

Bobbie Wickham
Apr 13, 2008

A redheaded hussy who ought to be smacked and sent to bed without her supper

Break up with Jane, she's abusive and you don't even like her.

Don't pursue Emilia. DO NOT DATE CO-WORKERS. Go be single for a long, long time, and get to know yourself outside of the lovely and abusive relationship you outgrew a while ago.

Edit: you know what, I take that back. This relationship isn't abusive, it's just stupid and miserable.

Bobbie Wickham fucked around with this message at Dec 27, 2017 around 01:00

420 SWAGLORD
Apr 20, 2014

saban bajramovic

Holy hell you're creepy lol. I mean drat. Tall poppy even in the rich fields of SA. How old is Jane, anyways? That whole thing reads like you've been grooming her and it's not working anymore. My "favourite" bit is you being repulsed by her actually enjoying food. That or falling for the new woman literally the first day she's in a position under you. That or the part where you want to hook them both and make your selection like it's a shopping trip.

Usually the stories this extreme seem fake but I guess I'm falling for this one. It's super against the rules to tell someone to kill themselves, but I'd like to request that you retire in seclusion and become a hermit. Good people don't deserve to deal with this poo poo.

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.

420 SWAGLORD posted:

My "favourite" bit is you being repulsed by her actually enjoying food.

eh, from how the OP worded it it's less the eating, more that it represents flakiness and lack of real commitment to change. I agree that the relationship seems poo poo and unhealthy and should probably be ended, but I understand the frustration of being around someone who repeatedly declares that they are doing a thing (be it watching what they eat or really anything that requires a bit of effort and willpower) only to fall off the wagon almost immediately, then two days later confidently declare "no THIS time will be different and I'll stick with it!", repeat ad-nauseum. ESPECIALLY if as a person in their proximity you have to be super supportive and make out that you totally believe that they can do it every. drat. Time. It's loving exhausting, and that's just with friends, I can only imagine how grating it would be in a partner.

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.

In any case, OP, you may feel affection for your current GF but it doesn't sound like you really respect her. Whether that's because she's actually as aggravating as you are presenting her or it's just how you see her doesn't really matter, it's a relationship where you have become the peacemaker, the one who walks on eggshells and watches what they say and the one who puts up with Bullshit and lets things slide, and that's not healthy.

Don't go with Emilia either though. Break things off with Jane because it's a poo poo relationship, and learn to be a grown up on your own for a while before going straight into another relationship.

Caufman
May 7, 2007

It sounds like you know what you want to do with Jane. Your relationship with her is its own thing, independent of your friendship with Emilia.

It sounds like you know what you want to do with Emilia, too, which is to get to know her better and be closer, if you both find mutual interests. Always be kind and honest when it's a matter of heart-to-heart. Best as you can, don't make things weird.

Uncle Salty
Jan 19, 2008
BOYS

Me, three.

OP, for sure go after Emilia. She's old, slow, probably can't see well anymore and she is sure to be wildly flattered by any scrap of attention you drop in front of her.

cda
Jan 2, 2010

HAIKUDICATOR

With her greater life experience she's gonna manipulate you and wreck you emotionally in ways you never imagined.

Scudworth
Jan 1, 2005

When life gives you lemons, you clone those lemons, and make super lemons.

Dinosaur Gum

It's cool that you finally found a catalyst to wake you up to how done and lovely your relationship is but don't pursue the catalyst. Don't gently caress the catalyst. Just be grateful that through Emilia you were shown the truth before you did something really stupid like get married or have a baby with Jane.

KaiserSchnitzel
Feb 23, 2003

Hey baby I think we Havel lot in common

I didn't even have to read the second half of your OP to know the answer to the "do I leave" portion of the question, and so the "for the older woman" portion is not really relevant.

Magog
Jan 9, 2010

little munchkin posted:

First things first: chill the gently caress out with Emilia. You don't mention anywhere whether she has shown you any signs of interest, beyond professional courtesy. Now that you work at the same place, things could go really badly if you keep pursuing and she's not interested.

You're pretty clearly idealizing her. You're in in unhappy relationship, and you imagine this other woman to be your savior from it, based mostly on the fact that you don't know her well enough to know how passive-aggressive she is to a long term significant other. You know she's polite to co-workers and family members of deceased people, that's about it.
Settle down Beavis. I didn't want to keep writing forever on the first post itemising every conversation and tidbit, obviously I know more about Emilia than just her politeness and I do believe she has shown some interest and you're right I don't know how passive aggressive she is in a long term relationship but that's not something I can readily ascertain is it?

little munchkin posted:

Second, break up with your girlfriend if you don't love her. Stay together if you do. I don't really care.
Mmmmm, it's really simple isn't it? Maybe even if I love her I feel exhausted in this relationship? Maybe even if I don't love her anymore it's more convenient to stay? Perhaps I just did most of the work for us moving into a new house in October and would really rather not do it again just yet.

little munchkin posted:

These are both huge red flags. You're 27 and making plans around your girlfriend dying. I'm not sure what that means but it's not a normal thought to have. Looking at someone you've never even been on a date with and thinking about you 20-year relationship is also not normal. The meaning is pretty clear though: you're focusing on a fantasy version of this woman and not on the reality where you're a much younger dude who pesters her at work.
Dude you're really stretching what was said here. I meant to convey that I was convinced I'd spend the rest of my life with Jane but I felt like if anything were to happen to her before me it would feel like too much work to build another relationship and I felt like I couldn't feel strongly for anyone again. So yes, when I think of what I thought was to be a lifelong commitment I do contemplate what the consequences of our mortality may be in the end.

Also yes I do consider what the age difference might mean in the future if I might want a long term partner, if I thought it might be an issue when I'm 45 and she's already 61 then I'd want to not pursue it in the first place right? I'd either approach it differently as a shorter-term encounter if that's what both of us wanted or I'd keep looking.

little munchkin posted:

Yea the last red flag is conflating these two problems into one singular one. You're operating on the assumption that you need to be with at least one of these two people. In general you have a lot of weird ideas about relationships. You should really focus on addressing those because they are going to continue to cause problems for you regardless of how you handle the current situation.

No I'm not, I'm operating on the basis that one of these two people is the only reason I've realised I should consider being without the other person. I could be single, I'd rather not but that wasn't even an option to me until Emilia made me realise that I am not completely apathetic to future romance and yes being that I don't want to leave a very expensive city or live with strangers I really do consider being single undesirable for any longer than necessary. Regardless of my personal feelings on the matter, I don't actually really have a problem being single in theory but I also don't want to spend about half my income or more on rent for years.

Uncle Salty posted:

Me, three.

OP, for sure go after Emilia. She's old, slow, probably can't see well anymore and she is sure to be wildly flattered by any scrap of attention you drop in front of her.

Yeah guys I'm sorry it felt it a bit crass when I put in the "hides her age well" comment all I meant was that literally at first I didn't realise her age and she's quite attractive.

Magog
Jan 9, 2010

420 SWAGLORD posted:

Holy hell you're creepy lol. I mean drat. Tall poppy even in the rich fields of SA. How old is Jane, anyways? That whole thing reads like you've been grooming her and it's not working anymore. My "favourite" bit is you being repulsed by her actually enjoying food. That or falling for the new woman literally the first day she's in a position under you. That or the part where you want to hook them both and make your selection like it's a shopping trip.

Usually the stories this extreme seem fake but I guess I'm falling for this one. It's super against the rules to tell someone to kill themselves, but I'd like to request that you retire in seclusion and become a hermit. Good people don't deserve to deal with this poo poo.

Yeah, you got me. But I mentioned Jane's the same age and Emilia's position is lateral to mine in a separate department and I've known her for about a year so it's not like that. Nor the other parts either.

PS: Don't come on so strong next time.

Fatkraken posted:

eh, from how the OP worded it it's less the eating, more that it represents flakiness and lack of real commitment to change. I agree that the relationship seems poo poo and unhealthy and should probably be ended, but I understand the frustration of being around someone who repeatedly declares that they are doing a thing (be it watching what they eat or really anything that requires a bit of effort and willpower) only to fall off the wagon almost immediately, then two days later confidently declare "no THIS time will be different and I'll stick with it!", repeat ad-nauseum. ESPECIALLY if as a person in their proximity you have to be super supportive and make out that you totally believe that they can do it every. drat. Time. It's loving exhausting, and that's just with friends, I can only imagine how grating it would be in a partner.
Yeah, this is it exactly and it's not restricted to this one issue.

Caufman posted:

It sounds like you know what you want to do with Jane. Your relationship with her is its own thing, independent of your friendship with Emilia.

It sounds like you know what you want to do with Emilia, too, which is to get to know her better and be closer, if you both find mutual interests. Always be kind and honest when it's a matter of heart-to-heart. Best as you can, don't make things weird.

Thank you. This is how I intend to approach it and everybody else going apeshit about the co-worker situation needs to accept real life unless you all think I'm standing up against her trying to smell her hair or making inappropriate comments in which case relax, I am approaching this tactfully and as I've said it's not like I have only just met Emilia for the first time so I'm not flying blind.

cda posted:

With her greater life experience she's gonna manipulate you and wreck you emotionally in ways you never imagined.

Hot.

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

Magog posted:

Settle down Beavis. I didn't want to keep writing forever on the first post itemising every conversation and tidbit, obviously I know more about Emilia than just her politeness and I do believe she has shown some interest and you're right I don't know how passive aggressive she is in a long term relationship but that's not something I can readily ascertain is it?

Dude you're really stretching what was said here. I meant to convey that I was convinced I'd spend the rest of my life with Jane but I felt like if anything were to happen to her before me it would feel like too much work to build another relationship and I felt like I couldn't feel strongly for anyone again. So yes, when I think of what I thought was to be a lifelong commitment I do contemplate what the consequences of our mortality may be in the end.

I'm sorry for offering advice based on the words you typed instead of imaging a bunch of other words that paint you in a more positive light. After careful consideration i still agree with everything I wrote before but would like to append "weirdly angry" to the list of malfunctions you have.

Bobbie Wickham
Apr 13, 2008

Yes, OP, stay in a dysfunctional relationship with someone you don't like or respect because you guys just moved somewhere, being single is uncomfortable sometimes, and dammit, why put effort into your life?

Break up with Jane so she won't be tied down to such a lazy and self-centered dork.

Edit: Don't date your co-workers. It's pretty universally a terrible idea to poo poo where you eat. Also try the Break-Up thread, for advice, anecdotes, and support if you decide to not be lazy and actually man up to your own life.

Bobbie Wickham fucked around with this message at Dec 18, 2017 around 04:42

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

Bobbie Wickham posted:

Yes, OP, stay in a dysfunctional relationship with someone you don't like or respect because you guys just moved somewhere, being single is uncomfortable sometimes, and dammit, why put effort into your life?

If you actually read his posts you'd realize that he actually has a pretty good escape plan in place already (patiently waiting for her to die of natural causes)

Bobbie Wickham
Apr 13, 2008

little munchkin posted:

If you actually read his posts you'd realize that he actually has a pretty good escape plan in place already (patiently waiting for her to die of natural causes)

Oh, my bad. OP, have you considered arranging for your girlfriend to get into an "accident?"

Magog
Jan 9, 2010

Maybe I should have a poly relationship with you guys instead.

Caufman
May 7, 2007

I promise to be kind and honest until you gently caress with me.

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.

Magog posted:

Mmmmm, it's really simple isn't it? Maybe even if I love her I feel exhausted in this relationship? Maybe even if I don't love her anymore it's more convenient to stay? Perhaps I just did most of the work for us moving into a new house in October and would really rather not do it again just yet.

Yeah actually, it is simple. Just like Jane losing weight/watching what she eats is *simple*. Simple and obvious doesn't mean easy, as you've seen with Jane's constant failed attempts to diet and indeed your litany of excuses for dragging this poo poo out well beyond the point it should have died. Something being hard and painful doesn't mean it's not the thing you should be doing. Staying in a poo poo relationship because it's easy, or convenient, or because you just moved house and it was really hard work is what big dumb babies do.

Magog
Jan 9, 2010

Fatkraken posted:

Yeah actually, it is simple. Just like Jane losing weight/watching what she eats is *simple*. Simple and obvious doesn't mean easy, as you've seen with Jane's constant failed attempts to diet and indeed your litany of excuses for dragging this poo poo out well beyond the point it should have died. Something being hard and painful doesn't mean it's not the thing you should be doing. Staying in a poo poo relationship because it's easy, or convenient, or because you just moved house and it was really hard work is what big dumb babies do.

Well I mean, that's pretty reductive but fine, it's not easy, happy?

Fakeedit:

Fatkraken posted:

Something being hard and painful doesn't mean it's not the thing you should be doing.

Caufman
May 7, 2007

Nice catch.

Also, way to spot the innuendo.

Octolady
May 9, 2009

the elegant cephalopod

Ahahaha

“I have no respect for my girlfriend, she’s always giving up on diets why can’t she stick with anything god she always takes the easy way out”

“Ok, break up with her”

“but that’s haaaaaaard”

Bobbie Wickham
Apr 13, 2008

Magog posted:

Maybe I should have a poly relationship with you guys instead.

We're too good for you.

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.

Why is convenience such an important barometer of the value of a relationship to you? Do you not realise that's retarded if you want to be happy? The relationship with a partner isn't the same as with your accountant, you know that right?

If she dies tomorrow you can't be bothered with the "trials and tribulations" in having another relationship ever past age 27? Despite having not dated since 19? How can you work with grieving families with this level of autism?

Goddamn dude. Break up with your gf and get your head straight.

SleepySonata
Mar 3, 2010

Jeza posted:

Why is convenience such an important barometer of the value of a relationship to you? Do you not realise that's retarded if you want to be happy? The relationship with a partner isn't the same as with your accountant, you know that right?

I'm sensing a massive amount of entitlement here.

OP: Its my partners job to make me happy, right? Older ladies know when to "bend the knee and kiss the ring", right?

Like not getting your poo poo in order is fine and dandy a reason to end a relationship. Framing it as "WELL the female I'm with cannot stop being fat for me so I'll digne to gently caress an older bird." Makes you come off as the only mal-adjusted assclown.

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.

SleepySonata posted:

I'm sensing a massive amount of entitlement here.

OP: Its my partners job to make me happy, right? Older ladies know when to "bend the knee and kiss the ring", right?

Like not getting your poo poo in order is fine and dandy a reason to end a relationship. Framing it as "WELL the female I'm with cannot stop being fat for me so I'll digne to gently caress an older bird." Makes you come off as the only mal-adjusted assclown.

Eh, the GF (as presented) doesn't sound like a barrel of laughs, though it's telling that the OP comes across pretty badly too when they have total control of the narrative. Two maladjusted people in a dysfunctional relationship is a recipe for long term misery and resentment and the longer it goes on the longer everyone involved gets to be miserable and the worse the inevitable collapse will be

Don't go out and gently caress the MILF tho OP, she just represents an escape route, grass is always greener and all that. Do the right thing, break up and learn to be a functional single grown up before you go pursuing a new relationship

Kiss Kiss Bang Bang
Dec 28, 2007

Kiss this and hang

Give yourself and your GF the gift of being single this holiday season.

biracial bear for uncut
Jun 9, 2009

KILL YOUR FAMILY AND YOURSELF YOU WHITETRASH "ALLY"

OP needs to check in to in-patient mental health services.

Bobbie Wickham
Apr 13, 2008

biracial bear for uncut posted:

OP needs to check in to in-patient mental health services.

I don't think it needs to go that far, unless removing his head from his rear end is an in-patient procedure.

Seriously, though, OP, go read the Break Up thread and you'll see that being single sucks sometimes, but it's still miles ahead of being in a crappy relationship with someone you don't respect or even like anymore.

biracial bear for uncut
Jun 9, 2009

KILL YOUR FAMILY AND YOURSELF YOU WHITETRASH "ALLY"

Bobbie Wickham posted:

I don't think it needs to go that far, unless removing his head from his rear end is an in-patient procedure.

Seriously, though, OP, go read the Break Up thread and you'll see that being single sucks sometimes, but it's still miles ahead of being in a crappy relationship with someone you don't respect or even like anymore.

The OP has literally posted about how he's become obsessed with a co-worker that has shown zero actual interest in him outside of the polite bullshit face every woman in the workplace has to put on when dealing with the creep at work in order to keep their job.

boho
Oct 4, 2011

on fire and loving it

Bobbie Wickham posted:

DO NOT DATE CO-WORKERS.

True, the dozens of married couples I know who met at work jumped straight into marriage.

boho
Oct 4, 2011

on fire and loving it

Ok I exaggerated, personally I only know a single dozen, not multiple dozens

Bobbie Wickham
Apr 13, 2008

boho posted:

True, the dozens of married couples I know who met at work jumped straight into marriage.

I've only seen it blow up, including in my personal experience, so I recommend against it. Same with hooking up with a roommate. Plus the OP is socially stunted, and I don't think he can handle a new relationship on general, especially a new relationship with a co-worker.

boho
Oct 4, 2011

on fire and loving it

Bobbie Wickham posted:

I've only seen it blow up, including in my personal experience, so I recommend against it. Same with hooking up with a roommate. Plus the OP is socially stunted, and I don't think he can handle a new relationship on general, especially a new relationship with a co-worker.

I'll concede that if you work shoulder-to-shoulder with the person, you probably don't want to do that. I've turned down an advance from a woman on my team because it seemed like a terrible idea at the time. That said, if you work someplace big enough to where you only occasionally interact with people outside your department, and don't work in eyesight of each other, it's really not much different from meeting someone in a class.

Nevvy Z
Jan 3, 2004

quote:

if we hit it off I'll break it off with Jane.

quote:

if Emilia and I aren't going to happen I guess I don't want to ruin my current relationship just yet either.

How is this relationship not already ruined?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012

People were stupid, sometimes. They thought the Library was a dangerous place because of all the magical books, which was true enough, but what made it really one of the most dangerous places there could ever be was the simple fact that it was a library.

OP you're clearly not very happy and it's lovely to pursue someone else while you're actively in a relationship. Just break it off with your gf.

«8 »