Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Jump to Appendices
Jump to Player List
Pancho Villa's División del Norte Thread
Ma Ferguson's Texas State Guard Thread
Game Wrap Post (SPOILERS!)

One day, a simple man by the name of Iskra Miloslovsky brewed up a very special batch of moonshine - known simply as Shine - that changed the world forever. Much to his surprise, those who drank his creation gained extraordinary abilities - well beyond their wildest dreams! To most, Shine was just an urban legend, and Prohibition was just the Man trying to keep the common people from their alcohol. But anytime a new power rises, so too do those who would take it for themselves...

What Came Before:
Shine I: New York City
Shine II: The Chicago Outfit
Shine III: Spirits of New Orleans
Shine IV: Murder on the Sunset Limited

Things had always been a bit tense on the southwestern border between the United States and Mexico. America's position in the world was on the upswing, largely thanks to its near-monopoly on Shine production. However, it was no secret that the other major powers coveted America's good fortune. No-one had made an overt move yet, but there were whispers and movements in the shadows of the world's stage.

Thus, when the famed Mexican general Pancho Villa took advantage of the Mexican Revolution's chaos to build his own army - the División Del Norte - and strike at Texas, none of the other major powers would take responsibility for his ostensibly independent action. On the other hand, neither would they allow the United States to officially intervene in this seemingly minor border skirmish under penalty of facing concerted opposition from the rest of the world. Responsibility for opposing Pancho Villa's assault fell to the embattled governor of Texas, Miriam A. "Ma" Ferguson. Mustering the Texas State Guard, she prepared what defenses she could and readied her troops to push the Mexicans back out of her great state.

As the two forces prepared to face off, it rapidly became clear that they had earned themselves some saboteurs and spies. Supplies were destroyed, and trusted confidants were murdered in the dark of the night. Each army would need to split their attention - eliminating the foes without and within - in order to win the day.

The world watched, and waited with bated breath. Shine was entering the battlefield for the first time - and only time would reveal its shocking impact.

Shine V: How The Southwest Was Won is a flavorful closed-setup game of Soldiers Mafia for 50(!!!) players.

The game will be divided into two threads, each with its separate scum teams who are allied with the opposing thread (i.e. Thread A has Mafia B and Thread B has Mafia A; A wins with A, B with B). Periodically the two threads will meet on the Field of Battle, where a select number of players can perform feats of strength and skill to murder the enemy, reducing their numbers further. The game ends when a Leader is killed, granting defeat to that side and victory to the other.

P.S. Many thanks to Ecco and Asiina for their excellent modding and documentation of The Conquest of Qal, a fantastic soldiers game that heavily inspired this one from rules writeup to many moving parts on the backend. (Metagamers beware - assumptions based on that game are likely to bamboozle you in the end!)

:siren: THERE ARE A LOT OF DETAILS BELOW. PLEASE TAKE THE TIME TO READ THEM. THANK YOU! :siren:

== GENERAL RULES ==

• Max and Captain Foo are my extremely helpful co-mods for this game!
  • :siren: This game will make extensive use of Google Sheets & Discord. If that is an issue for you, please let me know!
  • Standard Mafia Rules are in effect for this game. Don't be a dick. Specific addendums follow:
    • Twilight posting after the hammer is acceptable, but please stop posting when day-ending mod posts begin.
    • Please play to your win condition and don't be a dick. I'll nudge people who I feel need it.
    • No PM comparing shenanigans - format, capital letters, whatever.
  • :siren: DON'T BE A RACIST JERK. This is a game about Texas versus Mexico, and while light-hearted ribbing of the other thread is A-OK and encouraged, that's NOT an excuse to be racist! Thanks!
  • This game will start at EARLIEST after Christmas, and more likely after the new year. In general, no replacements will be allowed beyond Day 1 - please don't sign up if you aren't going to put actual effort into this game. (I understand that Life Happens sometimes - in extreme cases please PM me and we'll take it from there.)
  • Days will be ~60-72 hours (growing shorter as the game progresses), Preliminary phases will be ~8-12 hours, and Night phases will be ~12-18 hours. Nights will be closed.
  • Podima's Anti-Lurking Rules v3.2 will be in effect for this game. :justpost:
    • Optionally, during the day a leader may declare a 'soft deadline' that is at least 24 hours after the game day has started. By PMing a mod, they may confirm that this soft deadline will be when anti-lurker rules engage for that thread (e.g. if an execution happens between the soft deadline and the actual deadline, anti-lurker rules will apply for people's postcounts.
  • Flips will be in the format of "Player Name", aka "Character Name", "Alignment"-Aligned "Class", "Flavor".
    • Sample: :rip: Tao Jones, aka Emilio, TOWN-Aligned Heavy, was killed on Night 0! :rip:

== LEADERS AND TEAMS ==

Each thread will have a Leader. They are confirmed town, cannot be nightkilled, have super awesome special powers and abilities (making them very scary on the battlefield), can communicate with the opposing thread's scumteam, and has insider knowledge on the setup. However, if your Leader is ever killed, your side INSTANTLY loses the game. Keep them safe!

The two sides are The Texas State Guard (TXSG) led by the tough Governor "Ma" Ferguson, versus The División del Norte (DdN) led by the daring Pancho Villa. (ó = ALT+0243, just fyi!)

Leaders have a very important role, and good active leaders are crucial to a great Soldiers Mafia game! If you are interested in being a leader, PM me with your interest and why you would be a good leader. I will NOT accept statements of interest posted in this thread!

== PHASES AND BATTLE ==

The game is divided into 3 separate phases: Day, Preliminary, and Battle, as follows:

During the Day phase, people vote and post like normal. Majority vote is required to execute, but if both Leaders agree (separately PMed to me), the voting method can become Limited Lights Out for that day. (Max of 3 executions, deadline is only extended once by 24 hours.) Day abilities and Items can be used. The Leaders must also conscript six players from their thread to be in Battle, sending the roster PRIVATELY to a mod. The field of battle is divided into two RANKS for each team: a front rank and a rear rank, with the front ranks facing each other and rear ranks behind them. Three players must be in each rank. Some players may have abilities that affect an entire rank; other players are more skilled in certain ranks than others. Inform your Leader so they can make an informed choice about where to place you. Once the Day phase is over, Day abilities/Items will resolve, flips will be posted, and Preliminary will begin. Note that the Day phase ends when your thread hammers! Any actions not submitted prior to that are forfeited!

If for some reason your thread fails to successfully execute someone during the Day phase, the other thread's leader will be able to immediately freely assassinate someone from your thread. Given that they know who the scum are, this is NOT in your best interests. Execute or Lose!

NOTE: If a thread has no scum remaining, they are informed as such and no longer have to vote to execute someone during the Day phase. Hooray!

During the Preliminary phase, the layout of who will be in that night's battle is posted. Preliminary abilities can be used, generally ONLY by the people who are in that night's battle (unless otherwise stated). Once the Preliminary phase is over, both sides will know who is in the upcoming battle and where they're fighting, and the Battle phase will begin.

During the Battle phase, each person in the Battle must use ONE Battle ability if able to do so. Battle abilities are typically specified as either MELEE or RANGED. MELEE abilities may ONLY be used in the rank directly ahead of you. RANGED abilities may ONLY be used two ranks ahead of you. See Appendix B for an example of a battle layout. Some battle abilities are considered PHYSICAL and others are OCCULT; these mostly affect buffs and resistances. The scum in each thread may also perform a Night Kill during the Battle phase if desired.

After Battle is concluded, damage and any other aftermath will be determined. People whose HP falls to 0 (see ABILITIES AND STATS below) or less have been killed and will be flipped. The side with the fewest deaths (regardless of alignment of those deaths!) will be considered the Victor. From there, the game will continue with another Day phase until a Leader is dead.

Note that Leaders can put themselves in battle if so desired (and their presence will have a significant effect on the outcome!) but if there are six or fewer players left in a thread, the leader MUST put themselves in battle whether they like it or not.

See Appendix F for a high-level breakdown of phases and what you can do during each one.

== ABILITIES AND STATS ==

There are no standard roles in this game, unlike most Mafia games! Each player will have a selection of abilities that they may use at different times for different effects. They may be offensive (attack another player in battle), investigative (discover details about another player), healing (restore lost health to another), or something else entirely.

Each ability is written in the following format:
NAME (Phase: [XPG/Shine], [Passive], [Melee/Ranged/Self/Special], [Physical/Occult], [Area of Effect]).

Phase indicates what phase the ability may be used in - Day, Preliminary, or Battle. You may typically only use ONE ability per phase! Some abilities are limited-use (e.g. "OPG" means "Once Per Game," or "Shine" indicates that using that ability costs 1 Shine). Most Battle abilities specify the range (MELEE, RANGED, SELF, or SPECIAL) and type (PHYSICAL or OCCULT). Any Battle abilities that hit multiple people are specified as AREA OF EFFECT. See PHASES AND BATTLE above for more information.

Abilities work off of five different stats. Each player starts with 10 stat points that they must distribute when receiving their initial character sheet. Each stat MUST have at least 1 point, and typically cannot have more than 3. Most players have abilities requiring a wide range of stats, so while it is up to you how to build your character, minmax at your own peril! (There is, in fact, a penalty for minmaxing too much - see Appendix C.)

Each player has a specific Class and Background, assigned by RNG. These further enhance your abilities. Most people also have some Gear that typically provides minor buffs or healing as Day actions. Each player also has a set number of Hit Points (HP) assigned by RNG. If this reaches 0, you die! As long as you have at least 1 HP, you're still in the game - but the lower your HP, the worse you will be able to use your abilities. Lastly, everyone starts the game with some small quantity of Shine. This is used to fuel powerful abilities, so use it wisely!

Each player is also assigned a rank (see Appendix C for details). This is meant to be a rough guideline for your general power level - but just like in chess, even a Private (Pawn) can take a Colonel (Queen) down!

:siren: To prevent me from having to deal with 50000 PMs and to save you from keeping track of your character manually, your initial Role PM will be delivered to you as a link to a Google Sheet. You will submit all actions using this sheet, and it will always have an up-to-date view of your character's status! If using a Google Sheet is prohibitive for you, please contact me directly and we'll talk! (Thanks to forums poster Natural 20 for pioneering this in the nick of time!)

:siren: SPECIAL ABILITY/STAT RULE: NO NUMBERS :siren:

You MUST NEVER EVER post specific numbers about your damage, health, or stats!

Good: "I am good at ranged attacks." "I'm good at melee, but terrible with ranged." "I have an occult melee attack that can kill probably anyone." "My Charisma is high, but everything else is low." "I have almost no health left, please heal me!" "I can target two people with one attack." (numbers are OK when NOT talking about damage, stats, or HP)

Bad: "I have 2 HP left." "I can deal 6 damage melee, 3 range." "I have Strength 4 and Agility 3." "I can heal 3 damage." "I can target two people with one attack dealing 5 damage to each of them."

Breaking this rule will have DIRE CONSEQUENCES for you and your thread. Don't do it!

== THE SCUM ==

Each thread has a SCUM faction allied with the TOWN in the opposite thread. These players have abilities that follow the same rules as above, but with some slight differences:
- Scum MELEE abilities may ONLY be used on THEIR OWN rank.
- Scum RANGED abilities may ONLY be used on the rank DIRECTLY IN FRONT OF THEM.
NOTE: Scum's battle abilities are a degree more powerful than town's. A Leader putting scum in battle is almost certainly going to have more casualties as a result.

The scum faction gets a Night Kill that they may use during the Battle phase. The scum player performing the NK may NOT be in battle themselves, and may only target people NOT in battle. They may also not target the thread leader - they're too well-protected! The NK is NOT necessarily an assured kill, but has dire effects - beware!

== MISCELLANY ==
  • The threads are NOT mirrored. Don't try to game the setup.
  • Rounding - all rounding involved with your class' main stat rounds UP, and all rounding involved with other stats rounds DOWN unless specifically otherwise stated.
  • Background/Class-based bonuses (e.g. +1 to Offensive Occult) are applied as a bonus to the stat in question BEFORE any calculations. (see Appendix A for an example.) They affect ONLY damage numbers.
  • If a thread has less than 6 players left, the Leader MUST place at least one person each in the Front and Rear ranks when deciding on battle formation. If a thread somehow only has one player left (the Leader), they MUST place themselves in the Front rank.

== CHANGE LOG ==
v1.0 (17-DEC-2017): oh god why are there so many words, my fingers hurt
v2.0 (20-DEC-2017): Updated MISCELLANY section with clarification as to battle parties with less than 6 players left in a thread.
v3.0 (22-DEC-2017): Updated Appendix C - "Shield" now reduces damage from all RANGED attacks, not just RANGED PHYSICAL attacks.
v3.1 (23-DEC-2017): Replaced "lynch" with "execute" throughout.
v4.0 (30-DEC-2017): Updated THE SCUM section clarifying valid NK targets. Updated Appendix C clarifying that status effects cannot reduce a stat below 1.
v4.1 (02-JAN-2018): Oops I forgot to add a note about what happens if all the scum are dead in a thread! Thanks observer lonegoat!
v5.0 (03-JAN-2018): Updated Appendix E - revised a previous rule indicating that each battlefield could only be chosen twice. Now only the neutral battlefield can be chosen twice!
v5.1 (03-JAN-2018): Updated Appendix C - clarified that "Ailments" refer to negative status effects. Thanks again, lonegoat!
v5.2 (03-JAN-2018): Updated Appendix C - clarified that the DEMORALIZED ailment itself cannot be healed through conventional means, but has no effect on other healing abilities used. Also clarified the WOUNDED/MAIMED ailments are only healed by healing HP. jesus christ i can't write rules apparently.
v6.0 (07-JAN-2018): Anti-Lurking Rules have a new addendum!

Podima fucked around with this message at 20:57 on Feb 3, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
== APPENDICES ==

Appendix A: Sample Role PM
Sample Role PM (imagine this in spreadsheet form):

quote:

Player: Max
Character Name: Federico
Alignment: TOWN
HP: 7/7
Background: Traveling Salesman (Starts with 1 extra piece of Gear)
Class: Heavy (up to 4 STR, +2 Melee)
Flavor: You joined the army at the age of seventeen as an escape from a difficult household. You were never much for the whole 'serve your country' bit, but the camaraderie of your squad went a long way towards bringing you out of your shell like never before.

Strength:
Agility:
Stamina:
Spirit:
Charisma:

Status Effects: N/A
Shine: 2
Gear: Fresh Food (Heal 1 HP), Tough Vest (Provides Armor 1: -1 damage from physical attacks)

Abilities:
Unlimited Board Game Works (Preliminary: Shine, Self, Occult)
You gain Armor {Spirit} during this battle.

Embrace Nirvana, My Friend (Battle: Melee, Physical)
Deal ({Strength}+{Stamina})*0.5 damage (rounded up). You have an {Agility}/4 chance to dodge your target if they attack you with a Melee attack.

Rapid-Fire Movie Critiques (Battle: Ranged, Occult)
Deal {Agility}*0.5 damage (rounded down), with a {Charisma}/4 chance to inflict the STUNNED status.

Let's Get Beer Together! (Day)
Heal {Charisma} HP for another player.

Max gets to divide up 10 points however he pleases among his 5 stats. He opts to do so as follows:
- 4 into STR, taking advantage of his Class bonus
- 2 into SPI, since he wants to make use of his Shine power
- 2 into AGI, because he wants to be able to do some minor damage at range if needed
- 1 into CHA & STA each

His role PM would then look like this, with all bonuses factored in:

quote:

Player: Max
Character Name: Federico
Alignment: TOWN
HP: 7/7
Background: Traveling Salesman (Starts with 1 extra piece of Gear)
Class: Heavy (up to 4 STR, +2 Melee)
Flavor: You joined the army at the age of seventeen as an escape from a difficult household. You were never much for the whole 'serve your country' bit, but the camaraderie of your squad went a long way towards bringing you out of your shell like never before.

Strength: 4
Agility: 2
Stamina: 1
Spirit: 2
Charisma: 1

Status Effects: N/A
Shine: 2
Gear: Fresh Food (Heal 1 HP), Tough Vest (Provides Armor 1: -1 damage from physical attacks)

Abilities:
Unlimited Board Game Works (Preliminary: Shine, Self, Occult)
You gain Armor 2 during this battle.

Embrace Nirvana, My Friend (Battle: Melee, Physical)
Deal (4+1[+2])*0.5 = 3.5 = 4 damage (rounded up). You have an 2/4 chance to dodge your target if they attack you with a Melee attack.

Rapid-Fire Movie Critiques (Battle: Ranged, Occult)
Deal 2*0.5 = 1 damage (rounded down), with a 1/4 chance to inflict the STUNNED status.

Let's Get Beer Together! (Day)
Heal 1 HP for another player.

You can use this sheet as a rough guide for Pawn-level power. Dealing 4 damage is Average, and having 7 HP is considered Decent. Healing 1 HP is a Very Poor healing ability.

In general, the intention behind the characters is to allow for multiple ways to build your character's stats based on your personal preference. Minmaxing may not be the best option depending on what you want to do. For example, if Max had opted to not put 4 into Strength and instead spread his points around a bit, he might have been ultimately better off!

Appendix B: Sample Battle
Here's a sample Battle layout:
pre:
		THREAD A
REAR A: Doktor Per | Asiina | Magnus Gallant

FRONT A: merk | Quandary | Izzhov

--------------------------

FRONT B: Ecco | Max | TMMadman

REAR B: Kashuno | Captain Foo | chaoslord
		THREAD B

Remember, TOWN players in the REAR A rank can only use MELEE abilities on the FRONT A rank, but can use RANGED abilities on the FRONT B rank. TOWN players in the FRONT A rank can use MELEE abilities on the FRONT B rank and RANGED abilities on the REAR B rank. SCUM players can use MELEE abilities on the same rank and RANGED abilities on the next rank, so a SCUM player in REAR A could use MELEE on the REAR A rank and RANGED abilities on the FRONT A rank.

Note that the order of people in a specific rank is purely arbitrary.

SAMPLE TOWN ACTION:
Max decides to use his Embrace Nirvana, My Friend ability from Appendix A. Since it's a MELEE attack and he's in the FRONT rank, he can use it on merk, Quandary, or Izzhov. He decides to use it on Quandary, and will deal 4 damage before any armor/protection on Quandary's end is applied. If Quandary were to attack Max in turn with a MELEE attack, Max has a 1/4 chance to automatically dodge it. Even if he takes damage, he will take 1 less damage due to his Armor.

SAMPLE SCUM ACTION:
Let's say that Asiina and Ecco are both scum for their respective factions in this fight. Asiina has a RANGED ability that does 7 Physical damage, while Ecco has a MELEE ability that does 8 Occult damage. Asiina can only target the FRONT A rank with RANGED attacks, so she shoots Quandary in the back for 7 damage. (This will almost certainly kill him, on top of Max's attack.) Ecco can only target the FRONT B rank with MELEE attacks, so she turns the sand beneath Max's feet into an acid geyser. Because Armor only protects against PHYSICAL attacks, Max takes the full 8 damage and, barring another player's protection or buff, will have lost all his HP and likely die.

Appendix C: Important Charts/Information
Lots of important information you should very likely pay attention to!

BACKGROUNDS:
  • Bruiser
  • Cook
  • Desperado/Vaquero (cosmetic name difference between threads only because "Vaquero" is a great word)
  • Farmer
  • Rancher
  • Sawbones
  • Shopkeep
  • Wrangler

CLASSES:
  • Heavy: Can put 4 points in Strength, +2 to Melee Attacks
  • Light: Can put 4 points in Agility, +2 to Ranged Attacks
  • Scout: Can put 4 points in Stamina, starts with Resist 1 (-1 damage from Ailments)
  • Medic: Can put 4 points in Spirit, +2 to Healing Abilities
  • Shiner: Can put 4 points in Spirit, +2 to Offensive Occult Abilities
  • Tactician: Can put 4 points in Charisma, +2 to Defensive Abilities

STATS:
There is an initially-unknown bonus for having a stat at 4. People who have a stat at 4 will be told what that bonus is.

• Strength: Base stat for most melee attacks. Enhances many more.
    • 4 Strength = ???
  • Agility: Base stat for most ranged attacks. Enhances many more.
    • 4 Agility = ???
  • Stamina: Your general health and vitality. Enhances many abilities.
    • 2 Stamina = +1 Max HP
    • 3 Stamina = +3 Max HP (does not stack with previous benefit)
    • 4 Stamina = ???
  • Spirit: Base stat for most occult abilities. Enhances many more.
    • 4 Spirit = ???
  • Charisma: Your natural force of personality. Enhances many abilities.
    • 2 Charisma = Start with 1 extra minor piece of Gear
    • 3 Charisma = Start with 1 extra Shine (stacks with previous benefit)
    • 4 Charisma = ???

:siren: Over-Specialization: If you choose to set three of your five stats to 1, you will incur a -2 penalty to HP.

Note that there will be many abilities that rely on other players' stats (e.g. "deal an additional point in damage for every level of <STAT> you have over your target" "heal {Spirit} health with additional points equal to your target's Charisma", etc.) - there MAY be benefits to putting points in stats even if they don't fuel your key abilities!

RANKS:
  • Private (Pawn): Rank and file soldiers, with a mixed bag of abilities on and off the battlefield.
  • Commando (Knight): Investigators, who can perform unexpected moves to change the course of a battle.
  • Special Ops (Bishop): Ambushers/Brawlers, who can react to enemy attacks and punish them in turn.
  • Colonel (Queen): Heavy hitters, with the ability to single-handedly change the course of the battle.
  • Commander (King): The linchpin of each thread, powerful on and off the battlefield - but going to war brings risks with it.

BONUSES:
  • Armor X (-X damage from incoming Physical attacks)
  • Augment X (+X damage to your Physical attacks)
  • Resist X (-X damage from Ailments)
  • Occultism X (+X damage to your Occult attacks)
  • Shield X (-X damage from incoming Ranged attacks)

STATUS EFFECTS:
  • Demoralized (cannot use any abilities, wears off at start of next day [after a full cycle]. This ailment cannot be healed through conventional means.)
  • Frightened (-1 to all stats. Wears off at end of next battle after receiving it, unless specifically healed).
  • Impetuous (+1 to all stats. Must be at full health for benefits to apply. Wears off at end of next battle after receiving it.)
  • Intimidating (all who target player are FRIGHTENED and have -1 to their stats during battle)
  • On Fire (-4 HP in battle, -1 HP at the end of the next day cycle if not healed. Wears off at the end of the next day cycle.)
  • Poisoned (-1 HP per day cycle). Stacks.
  • Stunned (100% chance action in battle fails, if the failed action uses Shine, the Shine is still expended)
  • Wounded/Maimed (if player is at <50% health, -1 to all stats. If at <25%, -2. Rounded up for kindness. This ailment is only removed when the player is healed for enough HP.)

Note: Status effects cannot reduce a stat below 1.
Note 2: "Ailments" are negative status effects!

Appendix D: Gear/Items
If an item grants you a bonus to your STATS, it is a PASSIVE item and does not need to be actively used. If an item affects your HEALTH or specifically has a temporary effect, it is an ACTIVE item and can ONLY be used during the DAY. Unless otherwis specified, ACTIVE items are one-shot, and are expended on use.

You may only use ONE item per Day phase, in addition to any Day Ability. You may ONLY use items on yourself - you may not pass them to other players.

Gear can be stolen, destroyed, or otherwise lost against your will! Keep it close to your chest!

Appendix E: Battlefields
In addition to selecting a party of six, the Leaders will alternate choosing the battlefield for the night. These battlefields have various effects, both positive and negative.

The first battlefield selection will be determined by a trial of wits (Rock Paper Scissors). After that, battlefield selection will alternate between the leaders. Each battlefield can only be selected 2 times in total, before it becomes too torn up and dangerous to fight there any further.

The locations available are:

Camp Mabry
The headquarters of the Texas State Guard and where most of its hastily-gathered arms are stockpiled. If Pancho Villa's army were to successfully raze it, Texas would be hard-pressed to recover.
DEFENDED: May only be attacked if the División del Norte has achieved victory at the Alamo.
TXSG Benefit: May place an additional soldier in the Front rank. All soldiers temporarily gain 1 HP at the start of the battle (may go over max).
DdN Benefit: If victorious, all TXSG players instantly lose 1 HP and incur a permanent -2 penalty to Physical abilities.

The Alamo
Texans already suffered a severe loss here, forever etched into their state's history and memory. Under the sun's punishing heat that bakes the earth dry, the spirits of bygone times inspire some to greatness.
DEFENDED: May only be attacked if the División del Norte has achieved victory at Palo Alto.
Universal Effect: All Desperadoes/Vaqueros receive the effects of the IMPETUOUS status for the duration of this battle, regardless of HP. All other players suffer -1 Stamina for the duration of this battle. (HP is not affected.)

Palo Alto
The terrain here lends itself to the use of artillery, which leaves those who fight atop horseback at a dire disadvantage. On the other hand, the nearby town is the perfect place to gather emergency requisitions - or plunder, if you prefer.
Universal Effect: All Wranglers take 1 additional damage from each attack. Shopkeeps surviving the battle have a 50% chance to scrounge up 1 Shine after the battle.

Wild Horse Desert
This no-man's land lies just over the Texas border, and served as the safe choice of battlefield for the commanders to test each other's strength in the early days of the war.
There is no benefit or drawback to fighting here. This battlefield may only be chosen twice ever, before the war becomes too intense to contain any further!

Guerrero
Pushing back into Mexican territory, the fighting takes to the streets. The tighter quarters favor those used to urban brawls, while those who long for the open sky are at a loss.
Universal Effect: All Bruisers have +1 to their offensive abilities, while all Ranchers have -1 to their offensive abilities.

Monterrey
Knowing that he would need a fallback plan, Pancho Villa secretly ordered that the nearby river be poisoned. Desperate times call for desperate measures - but there are those who wonder if he's gone too far.
DEFENDED: May only be attacked if the Texas State Guard has achieved victory at Guerrero.
Universal Effect: All participants who are not Poison-resistant instantly suffer 1 Poison damage and receive the POISONED status. Sawbones are untargetable by ranged attacks during this battle.

Celaya
Pancho Villa captured a Shine distillery early in the Mexican Revolution, giving him a base to build on and eventually (supposedly) go rogue for his attack on Texas. Destroying it would change the course of the war permanently.
DEFENDED: May only be attacked if the Texas State Guard has achieved victory at Monterrey.
DdN Benefit: May place an additional soldier in the Rear rank. All Occult abilities have a +1 bonus.
TXSG Benefit: If victorious, all DdN players instantly lose 1 HP and incur a permanent -2 penalty to Occult abilities.

Appendix F: Summary of Phases
Here's a quick summary of each phase and what happens during them:
  • Day Phase (~72 hours)
    • Start: The thread opens for the day.
    • Each thread posts and votes as normal.
    • Day Abilities may be used, and will be resolved at the end of the day.
    • Items may be used on yourself - one item per day, abilities resolve at end of day.
    • Leaders must pick a battle roster. (May be changed after execution ONLY if someone on the roster is executed. Must be finalized prior to flip.)
    • Leader whose turn it is must pick a battleground.
    • End: Both threads have hammered, or deadline hits. All Day abilities resolve and the flip(s) are posted.
  • Preliminary Phase (~8-12 hours)
    • Start: Battle roster is posted, along with battleground chosen.
    • Preliminary abilities may be used by people in battle. Battle abilities CANNOT be submitted yet.
    • End: Final battle roster is posted. Thread is closed.
  • Battle Phase (~12-18 hours)
    • Start: The thread has been closed.
    • Battle abilities may be used by people in battle.
    • Leaders may send a message to the opposing thread's scumteam.
    • Scum may perform a NK on someone from their thread not in battle.
    • End: Battle outcome is posted along with all flips.

Podima fucked around with this message at 14:47 on Jan 4, 2018

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Players:
  1. 50 pounds of bread
  2. Anidav
  3. Anomalous Amalgam
  4. b-minus1
  5. Bifauxnen
  6. busb
  7. CCKeane
  8. chaoslord
  9. curiousCat
  10. Drunk Nerds
  11. flerp
  12. Flying Leatherman
  13. Gamerofthegame
  14. GeneX
  15. Hal Incandenza
  16. iajanus
  17. IllegallySober
  18. Infinitum
  19. Jeabus Mahogany
  20. Kashuno
  21. King Burgundy
  22. Little Mac
  23. Max Peck
  24. Mithross
  25. Moatillata
  26. Monathin
  27. Murmur Twin
  28. Natural 20
  29. OMGVBFLOL
  30. peramene
  31. PMush Perfect
  32. Prince of Space
  33. Quidthulhu
  34. Retro Futurist
  35. SalTheBard
  36. SirSamVimes
  37. Slaan
  38. SLASHER HAWKE
  39. STONE COLD 64
  40. The Lord of Hats
  41. The Ninth Layer
  42. Tired Moritz
  43. tithin
  44. TMMadman
  45. Tobbs Gnawed
  46. tpink
  47. Truth Quark
  48. Venom Soag
  49. Xad
  50. Your Personal Muse

1. Anidav
  2. b-minus1
  3. busb
  4. curiousCat
  5. Drunk Nerds
  6. flerp
  7. iajanus
  8. Infinitum
  9. Jeabus Mahogany
  10. Little Mac
  11. Mithross
  12. Natural 20
  13. peramene
  14. Prince of Space
  15. Retro Futurist
  16. SirSamVimes
  17. SLASHER HAWKE
  18. STONE COLD 64
  19. The Ninth Layer
  20. Tired Moritz
  21. tithin
  22. tpink
  23. Venom Soag
  24. Xad

1. 50 pounds of bread
  2. Anomalous Amalgam
  3. CCKeane
  4. chaoslord
  5. Flying Leatherman
  6. Gamerofthegame
  7. GeneX
  8. Hal Incandenza
  9. IllegallySober
  10. Kashuno
  11. Max Peck
  12. Moatillata
  13. Monathin
  14. Murmur Twin
  15. OMGVBFLOL
  16. Pmush Perfect
  17. Quidthulhu
  18. SalTheBard
  19. Slaan
  20. The Lord of Hats
  21. TMMadman
  22. Tobbs Gnawed
  23. Truth Quark
  24. Your Personal Muse

Backups:
Kashuno
Sentimental Snail
Asiina
Thranguy
VivaNova
50 pounds of bread
Atomic Soda

Podima fucked around with this message at 00:28 on Dec 30, 2017

Max
Nov 30, 2002

Soaring Kestrel
Nov 7, 2009

For Whiterock.
Fun Shoe
Ok

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

It would be foolish of me to play this

I'm in

Murmur Twin
Feb 11, 2003

An ever-honest pacifist with no mind for tricks.
I can't possibly say no to this.

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

Holy poo poo I haven't even started reading the OP yet but in

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.

Bifauxnen posted:

Same

This looks overly complex and liable to end in absolute disaster, so gently caress yeah

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Ok, I'll play.

flerp
Feb 25, 2014
hi

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?
I am contractually obligated to play in Shine games and Soldiers games, so I'm doubly in this one.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Sure but I ain't reading any rules

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Speccccing

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Retro Futurist posted:

Sure but I ain't reading any rules

:argh: (please read the rules i spent 4 hours typing them up today and my fingers are stumps now)

bowmore posted:

Speccccing

Sad but noted! Consider changing your mind if circumstances allow, lots of room in this game!

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Podima posted:

Sad but noted! Consider changing your mind if circumstances allow, lots of room in this game!
I will if you are struggling for players, I'm going overseas in three or so weeks so I don't know how my internet will be

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

bowmore posted:

I will if you are struggling for players, I'm going overseas in three or so weeks so I don't know how my internet will be

I gotcha, thanks for thinking ahead. Safe travels!

SHALASHASKA HAWKE
Nov 10, 2016

No child soldier in poverty by 1990

yAAAAAAAAAAASSSSSSDDS

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

This looks like a complete disaster. Sign me the hell up.

Moatillata
Dec 13, 2006

Maintain.
I missed the last one but now I am ready

My body is ready pod

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

:cheers: i make no promises but i am gonna do my best to help keep y'all in line :cheers:

peramene
Oct 13, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

Bifauxnen posted:

signing up to play a podima game

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

"Winning is great, sure, but if you are really going to do something in life, the secret is learning how to lose. Nobody goes undefeated all the time. If you can pick up after a crushing defeat, and go on to win again, you are going to be a champion someday."
(Wilma Rudolph)

Bifauxnen posted:

Have to redeem myself after bailing out of Shine IV, so I'm in. Will read the OP later :)

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
Viva la revolucion Capitan

chaoslord
Jan 28, 2009

Nature Abhors A Vacuum

Chao’s first and only shine game

King Burgundy
Sep 17, 2003

I am the Burgundy King,
I can do anything!

Yay Shine!

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?
Also, a quote from the aftermath of Shine IV:

Podima posted:

These are good observations and I do need to think harder about fakeclaim space for scum, I think. It's one of the reasons I want to try and transition to smaller Shine games in the future (ha ha ha someone quote this at me in 6-8 months or so), so I can reserve some design space for believable fakeclaims.

A very accurate prediction, there.

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
oh god drat it i forgot i owned my future self like that :negative:

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

KB let's sign up as team leaders and make a secret SK pact to just get everybody murdered :buddy:

King Burgundy
Sep 17, 2003

I am the Burgundy King,
I can do anything!

Bifauxnen posted:

KB let's sign up as team leaders and make a secret SK pact to just get everybody murdered :buddy:

Shhhh

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

HEY JEABUS, SIGN UP FOR THIS GAME SO WE CAN HAVE A SECRET MURDER ALLIANCE!!

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.
my knack of incredible timing on randomly deciding to look at the mafia thread again wins again

and by that I mean eh sure

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Gamerofthegame posted:

my knack of incredible timing on randomly deciding to look at the mafia thread again wins again

and by that I mean eh sure

in it to post anime on every page again?!

Tobbs Gnawed
Apr 4, 2007

All round mafia nice guy
Mememe setup never ends but if it takes me an hour to read then I can't imagine how long it took to plan/write.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.

Podima posted:

in it to post anime on every page again?!

please I was burgers

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

Gamerofthegame posted:

please I was burgers

Gwyn once tried to breadcrumb to me that he was the scum traitor in a post about burgers, but I was totally blind to the obvious secret message cause I was too busy drooling.

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

I'll play as King.

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

preface all my posts with this

bowmore posted:

Speccccing

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Jonathan Fisk posted:

I'll play as King.

Thank you for signing up! Please read the rules for information on how to do this!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tpink
Feb 18, 2013

Melman
Oh my god yes. Breaking my Mafia pause for this because duh. Yay!

• Locked thread