Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tobbs Gnawed
Apr 4, 2007

All round mafia nice guy
Mememe setup never ends but if it takes me an hour to read then I can't imagine how long it took to plan/write.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tobbs Gnawed
Apr 4, 2007

All round mafia nice guy
Am I the only one who submitted stats without using a single whole number?

I'm very lucky Podima didn't mind :)

Tobbs Gnawed
Apr 4, 2007

All round mafia nice guy
Thanks for running a great game Pod'n'Mods! (with special thanks to Pod for letting me know it existed)

I think the NK mechanic is fine. It really drives home the point that war is about attrition and careful control of resources.

Tobbs Gnawed
Apr 4, 2007

All round mafia nice guy

flerp posted:

good games every1 shouldve listened to me

gently caress you tobbs <3

You were my long-lost Texan twin, you had to die.

Max posted:

Yes I did remember the nun game where I got you dunked and then no one bothered to remember your case on me.

Hsssssss

Kashuno posted:

But how does the NK contribute to that? Not trying to be a dick, genuinely curious

By dealing a chunk of damage to someone instead of outright killing them, you force heals to land on them that could otherwise be used to top up players in battle. If it straight-up killed players, there would be a lot less targets for healers. It would almost defeat the purpose of having damage/hit points, as both sides would just top off any players that took damage in battle and keep throwing them back in. It also makes it MUCH harder for scum to obtain a traditional mafia victory through controlling the vote, which forces everything to be decided on the battlefield.

Tobbs Gnawed
Apr 4, 2007

All round mafia nice guy

Kashuno posted:

I definitely can't agree. clearing town players is better on town resources than scum.

[b]If scum NK scum[/b] then they have a) wasted a night b) built temporary town cred, which with the variety of things in a soldiers game isn't valuable since they could be considered town and killed by the other side or still tracked to kills/targets. If scum NK town they have a)given that player town cred that can be verified. Performing the NK at all is a net negative for scum.

Also re: shittiness toward people. I definitely have a reputation for being overly personal and lovely toward people in mafia, and I started to notice it pretty early on in this game that I was getting angry and swearing and whatnot. I took a bit to step away from the game and come back a bit cooler headed, and it helped a lot and I wasn't really like that the rest of the game. If people feel like they are starting to get really angry at mafia or frustrated by the game/cases and stuff, just step away from it and come back in a bit. If you keep ramping up the fighting and anger, it'll impact the game for you a lot going forward. It helps, really.

Scum using the NK on scum should just be withholding the kill. That allows you to claim being demoralized, which keeps you out of the battle (where tracking etc. can occur). It also allows you to draw heals that could go towards other players previously NK'd or wounded in battle.

It only bit DN in the rear end because they claimed to have successfully performed a preliminary action while demoralized. It's effective enough as a strategy that DN used it, and players on our side (I forget who) pushed Monathin because they thought him being targeted was fake. FL was also a NK target, and you rolecopped him, demonstrating at least minor suspicion that he could have been scum faking it.

The most telling thing about it, though, is that the game would've changed pretty drastically had the NK been an outright kill. Regardless of the result, I think most players in the game are satisfied with how it played out and enjoyed themselves.

Tobbs Gnawed
Apr 4, 2007

All round mafia nice guy

Kashuno posted:

I guess. I will never like the non-kill variant so I think that's just a me thing

I think it would have mostly made the game go a lot faster, as well as making scum in each thread a lot more powerful. It had to have sucked for scum to really want to silence/remove a player, only to have them healed up and ready to go.

One edit that might be useful would be to have the NK do damage, demoralize, AND give 2 stacks of poison. Removing ailments seems to be harder than removing damage, and it pushes the NK closer towards a guaranteed kill, albeit with a delay.

Tobbs Gnawed
Apr 4, 2007

All round mafia nice guy

Kashuno posted:

making the NK a poisoner is an interesting idea. that said, being useless in battle and quickly dying means they are basically killed with a delay, meaning a townie can just pour out any info they have before they die. It'd be tough to balance that

Players who like to roleplay would love the deathbed confessionals.

As for giving out info, the complexity of the game makes it almost flipless (except of course WRT alignment). It may have even led to tons of extra resources being thrown at a NK'd player in the hopes of saving them due to an amazing ability, or a queen claim for example. Also, as harsh as the poison would be, there were quite a few players who could survive it. My character had a resistance to ailments as well as two ailment-curing items, none of which ever came into play.

Tobbs Gnawed
Apr 4, 2007

All round mafia nice guy

Kashuno posted:

I mean, if 6 extra people died would that really be bad? the game ended with 13 alive in Mexico. That's over half the game still living. Granted part of it is bif putting herself in battle, but a few extra deaths wouldn't hurt. Hell, if Bif didn't put herself in battle, she'd still have enough people to field a full army without herself.

We're both also posting from the perspective of players who ended up in multiple battles. Making battle decisions is (I think) a major part of why this game was enjoyable, and if the game were sped up more (with outright NK's) you'd have a ton of players with cool abilities who never got to use them, rather than just a few.

Tobbs Gnawed
Apr 4, 2007

All round mafia nice guy

Natural 20 posted:

I actually had a friend years ago who went by the handle Faux and pronounced the x.

Plus I'm not actually sure how the French interaction works when what's normally a silent x is then followed up by a consonant. I don't actually know if they follow the same liason rules as like "ont" where "ont'ils" leads to a hard "t".

I assumed it was designed to rhyme with "Guy Fawkes" who was betrayed by someone while plotting to kill the King (of Burgundy?).

Tobbs Gnawed
Apr 4, 2007

All round mafia nice guy

Max posted:

I was so, so excited when KB drafted both Gamer and Tobbs into the same thread.

KB makes fun of me for my reads, but I do want to point out that I had Gamer pegged as town without ability-based info, even while Gamer had me at the top of his scum list. Also I pegged Max Peck as scum before he flipped!

I admit I was horribly wrong about Moat and OMG but it worked out in the end.

Tobbs Gnawed
Apr 4, 2007

All round mafia nice guy

Max posted:

Tobbs I love playing in games with you.

Ditto.

Any combination of our alignments brings out my deep-seated paranoia. Hell, even if we someday ended up as scum together I'd have to consider the possibility that you're a betrayer.

I'm still waiting to be scum when you roll town. I need revenge-victories for the tree game AND the witch one.

Tobbs Gnawed
Apr 4, 2007

All round mafia nice guy

flerp posted:

same because i get to kill him

I didn't get to do it personally but I was really really happy when you died and I hope it's in some small part due to me raving about how important it was that you didn't survive the battle.

Tobbs Gnawed
Apr 4, 2007

All round mafia nice guy

Max posted:

This sort of happened in the space game where I was the SK and you were scum.

You weren't town, but I'll take it. I'm pretty sure we won that one.

Ok one revenge victory and then we're even.

Tobbs Gnawed
Apr 4, 2007

All round mafia nice guy
Yeaaaaah I was wrong about you but I didn't push super hard for your lynch. My hard-defending Moat/OMG is pretty embarrassing but at least I didn't succeed.

And in my defense even KB wanted you tracked!

Also, numbers wise, I took 3 damage in a battle where I had a 75% chance to block each point of damage. I don't know how it was calculated, but if it was a die roll for each point then on average 12 points would have been done to me. That was super hard to explain without using numbers.

I feel slightly vindicated in calling myself a tank, given that I had the next most HP after Bif/KB in addition to a pretty overpowered damage reduction ability. With impetuous, I effectively had 56 HP while using that ability.

I was super frustrated with Kash for going after me about the tank claim. Yeah, I have a lot of health and do little damage, but I wanted to avoid being attacked/blocked because of my ability to track, not to mention my ability to give the rank impetuous.

Tobbs Gnawed
Apr 4, 2007

All round mafia nice guy

Podima posted:

Open question for people. Chess piece ranks on your character sheets - useful or discouraging?

Useful.

Being told that my rank made me one of (probably few) investigators pointed me in the direction of maxing my tracking ability. I see it as a nudge towards fulfilling a specific role in a game where one's utility is largely in their own hands.

Tobbs Gnawed
Apr 4, 2007

All round mafia nice guy

IllegallySober posted:

Make the draft order public next time :twisted:

Nobody likes being the kid picked last.

Although, decisions need to be made based not only on how effective a player may be as town, but also how likely you are to be able to peg them as scum.

I actually had no clue there was a draft, though I should have picked up Bif ending up with all the Australians.

Tobbs Gnawed
Apr 4, 2007

All round mafia nice guy

IllegallySober posted:

It wasn't a serious suggestion, I more figured somebody like me would have been towards the end anyway :v:

Everyone knows Keane was picked last, just like IRL.

Tobbs Gnawed
Apr 4, 2007

All round mafia nice guy

Birdstrike posted:

you’re good people Prince of Space

Best name acronym too IMO

Tobbs Gnawed
Apr 4, 2007

All round mafia nice guy

peramene posted:

LET NOTHING STAND CONFIRMED AND MAY LIES RAIN DOWN FROM THE BLOOD-SOAKED SKIES

FTFY

Tobbs Gnawed
Apr 4, 2007

All round mafia nice guy

Podima posted:

It also confirms the other two once the scum one flips.

If you want it to be extra fun have it be certain that one advisor is scum and one is town, but make them both lynchproof.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tobbs Gnawed
Apr 4, 2007

All round mafia nice guy

Tobbs Gnawed posted:

If you want it to be extra fun have it be certain that one advisor is scum and one is town, but make them both lynchproof.

Could also keep them lynchable but janitor their flips.

• Locked thread