Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lux Anima
Apr 17, 2016

Dinosaur Gum

peramene posted:

signing up to play a podima game

:synpa:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lux Anima
Apr 17, 2016

Dinosaur Gum
I am ready to Shine, sunup or sundown. :clint:

Lux Anima
Apr 17, 2016

Dinosaur Gum

PMush Perfect posted:

Just don't expect me to be even remotely any good.

My goal is to die in glorious combat as soon as possible, trusting everyone around me.

Lux Anima
Apr 17, 2016

Dinosaur Gum
Lookit all these gul-durned Mexican'ts. :clint:

Lux Anima
Apr 17, 2016

Dinosaur Gum
"Sarah may-hor ke hableys eenglais, mees amigos, o tay disparah-ray en el estomacho, comprendays?" :clint:

Translation: Será mejor que hables inglés, mis amigos, o te dispararé en el estómago, ¿comprendes?

Lux Anima
Apr 17, 2016

Dinosaur Gum
Ecco was obviously scum because the OP's sample of combat already said that they were! :ninja:

Podima posted:

Let's say that Asiina and Ecco are both scum for their respective factions in this fight.

You're welcome, team Mexico/Los División del Norte/DdN.

Also Asiina I know you're currently a backup but for the same reasons I've still got my eye on you... :pwn:

Lux Anima
Apr 17, 2016

Dinosaur Gum
Starting stats:

MS: Apr 16, 2016
PC: 295 -> 296
PR: 0.47 per day

Lux Anima
Apr 17, 2016

Dinosaur Gum
Howdy folks~!

I'm glad that my posting was noted so positively by so many others! I was really, truly trying to help out with my admittedly limited Mafia / Soldiers knowledge back there, so it's good to know that I was also being specifically targeted by the scum who had our leader's ear. What a surprising twist, Natural 20 - I never would have guessed that it was you who was giving Bifauxnen such treacherous advice!

I'm much less glad that some of my reads on people were oh-so-wrong, but I guess that's all part of the Mafia learning experience. There were (scum) players like Drunk Nerds and Mithross that I wanted to believe were town, even though I had no inherent reason to do so. That's something I'll have to keep in mind whenever the urge to play Mafia might strike me again.

Bif, I'm happy that Venom Soag turned out to be Texan town, even though I was pointing such an accusatory finger at him with "100% certainty." Maybe that just goes to show how many horrible newbie assumptions I was making about the game itself, including the combat, the damage, and all the role mechanics at play. Being just a lowly pawn, I had no idea of what a queen would be capable of in battle. The fact that GameroftheGame had enough firepower in him to completely nuke our entire back row in battle 2 was something that simply did not compute for me. Naturally, I wish I could have taken a step back from the game to explore the possibility that one character would be strong enough to kill/maim three people, but without that alternative presented to me my heart became set on Venom Soag and I'd gone onto lock-and-kill-mode. I apologize for casting so much existential doubt upon both of your friendships for a silly, deceitful game like this. By the end of it, once I gotten into the dead spectators' lounge, all I wanted was to give you a hug. On that note, Birdstrike / Shalashaska Hawke I'm sorry for inquiring to Podima about your deadpost - I truly didn't know what it meant at the time and it stirred me up right good.

I'd like to say that this was an overall positive learning experience for me, so I'll jot myself down as having taken a fatal crash course in Mafia and leave it at that. Thanks for running a good game, Podima!

Anyway, here are a couple of ideas I had that I haven't seen mentioned yet in-thread:
  • Anti-Lurker Rules: If posting quota isn't met, ability submissions auto-fail as if Demoralized.
  • One Queen Rule: Add defensive "rooks" and limit to one queen per side.
  • Persistent Item Rules: Unused items and Shine held by the dead go to either the leader to divvy up or to a shopkeep/quartermaster role.
  • Advisor Selection Options: At game start, leaders are given the option to either choose their advisers based on username (ie. "I want Kashuno and TMMadman.") or to have their advisers chosen for them based on what classes they want (ie. "I want a Tactician and a Scout.").

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lux Anima
Apr 17, 2016

Dinosaur Gum
Oh, also, if we're dealing with chess analogues I really wanted to see a Pawn become a Queen somehow.

Maybe scum could "rank up" and get more powerful when their scum-superiors die? The last scum remaining in the thread gets a night-kill AND a role-block AND is Queen-level in power? I have no idea what that would mean for balance, but it's something to consider!

• Locked thread