Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DoubleCakes
Jan 14, 2015

(title card until I make a better one)

What is this?

New Threat is a expansive gameplay mod for Final Fantasy VII. For those who don't know, Final Fantasy VII is a classic Japanese RPG. I love it and many others love it too but it's frequently criticized for lacking on the gameplay department. Its heroes (which you can get up to nine of them) are very interchangeable. There are no significant meaningful differences between their functionality aside from limits. Additionally, the game is easy to the point of mindlessness. Although it has many interesting systems there is little need to experiment or master them and even then those systems lack depth.

Described by the creator as a mod that "aims for a reasonable but fast-paced level of difficulty, something that can be played seriously or for fun and which offers a lot of new content to discover. Bosses and enemies have been revised and a bunch of new ones were added as well. There are also extensive script edits that allow for the use of different party leaders on Disc 3, some restored scenes that were deleted or bugged, additional side-quests, and a range of optional QoL changes like cutscene skips, additional save points & merchants, and other conveniences to ease gameplay."

Personally, I'm stoked.

Why are you playing this?

Final Fantasy VII is one of my favourite games, or rather it used to be. There are many things I cherish about FF7 but the gameplay is not one of them. The customization, characters, and combat are low points in the FF7 experience. In my most recent playthrough of the vanilla version of Final Fantasy VII, I came off of it recognizing those major problems. It was discouraging. Everyone has a favourite game that they know has serious problems. What if there was a mod for that favourite game that fixed those problems?

In the same way that Brave New World improves the mindlessness of Final Fantasy VI and takes it to wondrous heights, New Threat is described as a mod that enhances the game's systems considerably and makes it a much more satisfying and engaging experience. It's not a hard-type hack so much as a "challenge mod" that only increases the difficulty to the point where it's really fun to play but not so far that it cannot be played casually (not to mention all the bonus content and additional systems the mod adds!)

How much of your footage is on the cutting room floor?

This won't be what I'd call an "abridged" Let's Play but not only does the game offer to skip a number of longer cutscenes (which I'll opt into), I will also occasionally skip ahead in the game if there's a long stretch of nothing interesting happening. I like editing so I got no problems with combing through my videos and touching them up. In fact, I'm a big fan of Let's Plays that go for "high production values" and/or heavy editing especially if it's for jokes. Many of my favourite moments in Let's Plays are when the lets player does something more than just play the game and talk about it.

How are you playing this?

I'm playing this on the Steam version of FF7.

I'm on an older computer and my internet isn't great so I like to stick to smaller video sizes, usually coming in at about 10-20 minutes each.

----Table of Contents-----
The Let's Play Final Fantasy VII: New Threat Playlist

Act 1: Midgar
1: Bombing Mission
2: Evacuating The Reactor
3: Back To Base
4: Crash Course (this video serves as a good up-and-down for the mod, it explains a lot of things)
5: Breaking Into The Second Reactor
6: Evacuating Reactor No. 5
7: Let's Get You Home, Aerith
8: The Thick Smell of the Slums
9: The Sewer Level
10: Sector 7 Urgency

Act 2: Shinra HQ and Escaping Midgar
11: Death March to Shinra HQ
12: All Along Shinra Tower
13: Atrocity's Spire
14: Last One Out Of Midgar

Act 3: Eastern Continent
15: Ahead On Our Way
16: Quiet Dangers In the Mythril Mine (this video introduces another big change in the mod)
17: Tales From the Junon Countryside
18: Junon and then Jenova

Act 4: Western Continent
19: Where The Wind Blows Loud
20: Trekking Across The Mountain
21: Nothingland
22: Wheels
23: Gongaga II
24: Cave of Vorpal Spiders and Miscellaneous Dangers
25: How The Dead Wage Battle
26: Resident Evil
27: The Nightmarish Mountains

Act 5: After Getting the Tiny Bronco
28: Everywhere We Go
29: Japanese Getaway
30: Mortal Kombat
31: Back To Our Regular Programming
32: Temple of the Ancients
33: Temple of the Ancients II
34: Temple of the Ancients III
35: Sacrifice

Act 6: The Northern Continent
36: Aerith�ALIVE (AKA, To the North) (this episode features one of the mod's biggest features!)
37: Someplace Cold
38: Someplace Colder
39: Someplace Colder II
40: Coldest

Act 7: Cloud's Gone Missing!
41: What A Sticky Situation!
42: The (Mis)adventures of Tifa Lockhart
43: 10 Minutes Of Desperation
44: Cloud's Final Fantasy

Act 8: The Mega-Materia
45: Try Everything, Fail At Everything
46: It's My Sub Now
47: Ninja War 19XX
48: Corridor of Atrocity
49: Guidebook: Most Important Item (this episode show's one of the mods' very convenient late game changes to Chocobo raising!)
50: Not Without My Chocobo!
51: The Plot Returns
52: Terror In The Sky
53: Terror In The Sky II
54: The Linkin Park Episode

Act 9: The Final Hours
55: Return To Midgar
56: CANCELED
57: Sister Ray
58: Sister Ray II
59: Dear God, I Want To Die
60: Dear God, I Want To LIVE
61: The Doorstep to Oblivion
62: The Final Battle
63: The Final Battle II
64: The Final Battle III

Act 10: Character Quests
65: Street Fighter (this episode begins our post-game adventure!)
66: Dancing Mad
67: Destroy Myself
68: Revenge of the Ninja
69: 100 Things To Fight At The Battle Arena
70: And Special Guest Appearance By Charles Bukowski
71: Tsarcat Blues
72: Never Done With The Northern Cave
73: Party Trials
74: Limit Break
75: Become As Gods

Act 11: Weapon Collecting
76: I Am DONE With The Northern Cave (...?)
77: We're Going To The Junon Leagues!
78: Somewhere Else
79: Somewhere Else II
80: Somewhere Else III

Act 12: The Final Pantheon
81: Viridian Terror
82: Carmine Nightmare
83: Pantheon Collapse
84: The Ultraboss
85: (Untitled)
86: EPILOGUE

DoubleCakes fucked around with this message at 21:47 on Dec 6, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DoubleCakes
Jan 14, 2015

Reserved!

DoubleCakes
Jan 14, 2015

Now here's what I got so far:

Part 1: The Bombing Mission
Part 2: Evacuating The Reactor
Part 3: Back To Base
Part 4: Crash Course (this video serves as a good up-and-down for the mod, it explains a lot of things)
Part 5: Breaking In To The Second Reactor
Part 6: Evacuating Reactor No. 5
Part 7: Let's Get You Home, Aerith
Part 8: The Thick Smell of the Slums
Part 9: The Sewer Level

Miacis
Oct 9, 2012

Get off my lawn!!
This mod is kinda great, although it does take its sweet time to show, past the first reactor. Just a few remarks from the various vids:
- I wouldn't worry about the dating sim values. They didn't matter much in the original, they do even less so in NT.
- The Cut, Punch, Hit, Shoot, Shout elements actually were in the base game. They just didn't matter since no one was weak or strong against them. NT does mostly the same, although there are a few exceptions. There are three summons (and Cait Sith's attacks) that are now Shout-elemental, and there is an accessory that halves Shoot damage (so guns, explosives/missiles, and I think a couple of Jenova's beams). That's it.
- Peerless and Resist are two very niche effects from the vanilla game that see some more use in NT. You kinda skimmed over them in the tutorial zone, but remember that you can Dispel/Debarrier a boss that suddenly seems to be taking no damage. Resist also blocks not just the application of new statuses (including buffs), it also prevents you from removing existing ones until you Dispel it. Might be useful if you find yourself unable to apply buffs or cure something with Esuna in the future.

Do you plan to go back to see what was south of the rails in the second reactor, or shall I post the scrapped recording footage I have of it?

DoubleCakes
Jan 14, 2015

Miacis posted:

This mod is kinda great, although it does take its sweet time to show, past the first reactor. Just a few remarks from the various vids:
- I wouldn't worry about the dating sim values. They didn't matter much in the original, they do even less so in NT.
- The Cut, Punch, Hit, Shoot, Shout elements actually were in the base game. They just didn't matter since no one was weak or strong against them. NT does mostly the same, although there are a few exceptions. There are three summons (and Cait Sith's attacks) that are now Shout-elemental, and there is an accessory that halves Shoot damage (so guns, explosives/missiles, and I think a couple of Jenova's beams). That's it.
- Peerless and Resist are two very niche effects from the vanilla game that see some more use in NT. You kinda skimmed over them in the tutorial zone, but remember that you can Dispel/Debarrier a boss that suddenly seems to be taking no damage. Resist also blocks not just the application of new statuses (including buffs), it also prevents you from removing existing ones until you Dispel it. Might be useful if you find yourself unable to apply buffs or cure something with Esuna in the future.

Do you plan to go back to see what was south of the rails in the second reactor, or shall I post the scrapped recording footage I have of it?

Thanks for all the tips! As for the rail thing, I don't think I can return to that part of the game any time soon (I overwrote my save file). If you could post that recording, that would be good.

Powerfrog
Nov 3, 2012
Holy crap I never thought to look for this kind of thing. I might actually get around to replaying FF7 in the 21st century now I can skip those agonizingly slow cutscenes. Definitely a good idea to skip most of them in the LP.

Miacis
Oct 9, 2012

Get off my lawn!!

DoubleCakes posted:

Thanks for all the tips! As for the rail thing, I don't think I can return to that part of the game any time soon (I overwrote my save file). If you could post that recording, that would be good.
Nota: I'm playing with a couple of music/graphics enhancing mods, and a trainer to boost the fight speed, hence the quick animations.

So, in the original game, this would lead to a dead end with infinite fights.

New Threat makes you fight one wave of randos first, and then unleashes...

... the Security Captain!

For beating him (...it?), you get a sweet piece of armor that gives 5 Def, 4 MDef, 23 Def%, 23 MDef%, 15 Dex and 15 Lck, with 4 unlinked materia slots. It's pretty great for this point in the game, but I'm pretty sure you can get more later on. Its description is On a wing and a prayer.

magikid
Nov 4, 2006
Wielder of the Soup Spoon

Save Point posted:

You can also access something else later,
but right now it's a secret.

Tell me this means Cloud gets to play Blitzball.

DoubleCakes
Jan 14, 2015

Two new videos for ya!

The first is Part 10: Sector 7 Urgency which takes Cloud through the Train Graveyard and up the Sector 7 pillar.
The second is Part 11: Death March to Shinra HQ which follows Cloud on his journey to the Shinra HQ, and even covers some of the early parts of that place.

So far my video length has been short because of my subpar computer and internet speed, but I'm feeling good about making videos around 20 minutes long so expect more of that from now on.

Miacis posted:

Nota: I'm playing with a couple of music/graphics enhancing mods, and a trainer to boost the fight speed, hence the quick animations.

So, in the original game, this would lead to a dead end with infinite fights.

New Threat makes you fight one wave of randos first, and then unleashes...

... the Security Captain!

For beating him (...it?), you get a sweet piece of armor that gives 5 Def, 4 MDef, 23 Def%, 23 MDef%, 15 Dex and 15 Lck, with 4 unlinked materia slots. It's pretty great for this point in the game, but I'm pretty sure you can get more later on. Its description is On a wing and a prayer.

Oh man, that's so cool! Do you mind if I linked your video on mine, just so anyone who watches it can see what New Threat brings?

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty
Neat mod, I'll definitely be following. I'm really interested to see all that later new stuff they talked about in the training room.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

I don't know if I want to keep watching or just play it myself because this looks wild. I thought it was just typical hack stuff (QOL improvements and modified stats) until that scene with Jessie and the busted Guard Scorpion.

That Airbuster battle was a mess though. Something's really screwy with its turning AI/animations.

The FF9 hack you mentioned is probably Unleashed. It made really great changes to pretty much all of the abilities, but the battles (especially bosses) were just insane. You need to play the ATB abuse perfectly in order to win, basically. I managed to get to Zidane's existential crisis in disc 3 before I ran into an unwinnable situation with the 1-on-1 battles and no chance to heal.

Miacis
Oct 9, 2012

Get off my lawn!!
Yeah, the Plasma Buster is a mess to mod, since his turning is coded both in his AI and his animations. There was probably no way to make it look good aside from leaving the original fight as is. I think this is the only boss where it gets that bad, thankfully.

DoubleCakes posted:

The first is Part 10: Sector 7 Urgency which takes Cloud through the Train Graveyard and up the Sector 7 pillar.
The second is Part 11: Death March to Shinra HQ which follows Cloud on his journey to the Shinra HQ, and even covers some of the early parts of that place.

Oh man, that's so cool! Do you mind if I linked your video on mine, just so anyone who watches it can see what New Threat brings?
Go right ahead. That video's here to be shared.

But wow that Reno was... oddly cooperative. I'm not sure if that was recently dummied out or you managed to interrupt him with Barret's opening limit, but he normally starts the fight by throwing a fake interrocage that inflicts Stop+Reflect on a character. The pyramid graphic is still there, but there's no actual cage, just a stopped character to trick you into hurting them, then bouncing cure spells off of them. Reno is kind of a troll.

Also the X-ATM Scorpion has a peg leg now. :3: and a blade-leg and a new rifle-arm

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I'm kinda hoping that scorpobot keeps showing up in worse and worse condition throughout the game.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

:eng101: Not only were Deenglows in the original game, they also were a good way to obtain Ethers via stealing. I'd usually stock a ton while waiting for an Eligor to show up, from whom you can steal a good weapon for Aerith.

I see Life failed to kill the Ghost, but does normal Cure magic still work on them?

DoubleCakes
Jan 14, 2015

Part 12: All Along Shinra Tower is here! This is another big episode for me because in this one I break out some funny voices and I even have some fun with some additional music later. The musical part would have been more elaborate but I wanted to get this part out before Thursday. Unless something happens, I'll be releasing more stuff over the holidays.

Mak0rz posted:

I don't know if I want to keep watching or just play it myself because this looks wild. I thought it was just typical hack stuff (QOL improvements and modified stats) until that scene with Jessie and the busted Guard Scorpion.

That Airbuster battle was a mess though. Something's really screwy with its turning AI/animations.

The FF9 hack you mentioned is probably Unleashed. It made really great changes to pretty much all of the abilities, but the battles (especially bosses) were just insane. You need to play the ATB abuse perfectly in order to win, basically. I managed to get to Zidane's existential crisis in disc 3 before I ran into an unwinnable situation with the 1-on-1 battles and no chance to heal.

Unleashed was the one. The mod is bad enough but for some stupid reason I had a no save states rule for most of my playthrough (which I made it up to Disc 3). I'm still angry at that hack but mostly myself for not doing myself a favour and just jumping ship.

Miacis posted:

Yeah, the Plasma Buster is a mess to mod, since his turning is coded both in his AI and his animations. There was probably no way to make it look good aside from leaving the original fight as is. I think this is the only boss where it gets that bad, thankfully.

Go right ahead. That video's here to be shared.

But wow that Reno was... oddly cooperative. I'm not sure if that was recently dummied out or you managed to interrupt him with Barret's opening limit, but he normally starts the fight by throwing a fake interrocage that inflicts Stop+Reflect on a character. The pyramid graphic is still there, but there's no actual cage, just a stopped character to trick you into hurting them, then bouncing cure spells off of them. Reno is kind of a troll.

Also the X-ATM Scorpion has a peg leg now. :3: and a blade-leg and a new rifle-arm

I added a link to your video in my video.

Also that Reflect+Stop ability the mod added for Reno is kind of great. Not only is it interesting, it's characteristic of Reno.

Mak0rz posted:

:eng101: Not only were Deenglows in the original game, they also were a good way to obtain Ethers via stealing. I'd usually stock a ton while waiting for an Eligor to show up, from whom you can steal a good weapon for Aerith.

I see Life failed to kill the Ghost, but does normal Cure magic still work on them?

I had forgotten that Eligor was an enemy in this game. I'm sure I've fought him before in previous playthroughs. As for Cure harming ghosts, I'll test that in the future.

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)
I like that during the fight with Aps, getting doused in poowater gave everyone the Sadness status. I'd be pretty sad too.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Having only one Enemy Skill materia is harsh but fair because they are insanely broken. Or, maybe not in this mod? I see they severely nerfed Laser. Originally it was the same as Demi 2 for a fraction of the MP cost. There used to be only one place to learn it, which was fairly early in the game, but it was real easy to miss. I have the feeling a number of other spells received the same treatment because once you learned a few of them you became unstoppable.

Putting Osmose with the Elemental materia will only give you water-elemental attacks (or reduce water damage in your case because you put it in Cloud's armor). To absorb MP with physical attacks you'd need a different materia, assuming that particular combination even works (it didn't with Heal in the original). Vanilla behavior would also give you Esuna and Resist effects regardless of the Heal materia's level, which is probably not desirable. It's possible they fixed that, however.

Mak0rz fucked around with this message at 16:53 on Dec 21, 2017

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I had to look up the Curator battle after this. It's something alright. I won't reveal what's in the diorama room.

Miacis
Oct 9, 2012

Get off my lawn!!
Another handful of tips:
- Dirty Bombs are pretty neat, because while they do negligible damage, they will always inflict Poison if the enemy doesn't resist it. Lots of bosses, especially early on, can be poisoned, so that item is a bit of a time saver rom casting Bio over and over until it sticks.
- You did, in fact, have access to the Holy element... by using Elemental-Restore/Revive (now that these two have an element). There's still a few more abominations/Jenovas before you even reach your first Holy Spell, so... :cheeky:
- Draining effects like Osmose's aren't compatible with Elemental (or Added Effect). Target-MP and Drain-Dmg are in fact in a category of their own, with Def-Ignoring and Auto-Crit properties.

Mak0rz posted:

Having only one Enemy Skill materia is harsh but fair because they are insanely broken. Or, maybe not in this mod? I see they severely nerfed Laser. Originally it was the same as Demi 2 for a fraction of the MP cost. There used to be only one place to learn it, which was fairly early in the game, but it was real easy to miss. I have the feeling a number of other spells received the same treatment because once you learned a few of them you became unstoppable.
The Enemy Skills in this mod can be pretty busted too, but because they're limited to one character per team and increase in power more gradually, it still leaves room for some challenge. There's no big power spikes like Trine either, and you'll still find optional bosses late in the game that have no point but to teach you new enemy skills, ala Hidon.

Also, enemies here always target Red XIII for Laser, to ensure he learns it. So he starts the battle with Gravity-Elemental in his armor slot, which is why he only took 1/6th of his MHP in damage instead of 1/3rd. Now, while a third is still worse than Demi2's half, and the MP cost is essentially the same now (33 to 36).... Laser is a fraction of Max HP. So Laser is pretty good on early bosses that aren't heavy or Rufus (for some reason), since they'll all die in six Lasers at most.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Miacis posted:

Also, enemies here always target Red XIII for Laser, to ensure he learns it. So he starts the battle with Gravity-Elemental in his armor slot, which is why he only took 1/6th of his MHP in damage instead of 1/3rd. Now, while a third is still worse than Demi2's half, and the MP cost is essentially the same now (33 to 36).... Laser is a fraction of Max HP. So Laser is pretty good on early bosses that aren't heavy or Rufus (for some reason), since they'll all die in six Lasers at most.

So Laser is still broken, just in a different way, and also practically impossible to miss this time around?

DoubleCakes
Jan 14, 2015

We're out of Midgar, folks! I got two videos for ya that finish off Midgar.

Here's Part XIII: Atrocity's Spire. This one is my longest videos yet mostly because how raw the footage is. There are a lot of long, tough battles so you get to see every second of its intensity. In the future I'll be a little more conservative and edit them done, even a bit. The fight at the end with Thousand Gunner (Hundred Gunner in vanilla FF7) might have been the most challenging yet! Not only does his attacks have more punch, the second phase of the fight is expanded considerably!

Then after that, there's Part XIV: Last One Out Of Midgar! This is a shorter video and finishes out the Midgar chapter of FF7. I debuted intros and outros and I'll be more consistent about them in the future.

As I say in the videos, I've been loving this mod so far but apparently we're just getting started. I can't wait to see what other surprises are in store! Here's to the rest of Final Fantasy VII: New Threat!

Miacis
Oct 9, 2012

Get off my lawn!!
Congrats on dealing with ol' Rubi! This guy was the final test on the basics of the mod. Here's some more cool NT facts to celebrate:

- You can steal a weapon for Vincent from Rufus, the Shotgun. It's a pretty good early weapon for him, and getting it gives a bit of exclusive dialogue once Cloud rejoins with Tifa. It's kinda silly and I think goes something like:
code:
Tifa     "Where's Rufus?" 
Cloud    "I couldn't finish him. But I stole his shotgun."
Tifa     "... why?" 
Cloud    "Because I can."
Tifa     "..." 
- One of the early bosses (Plasma Bomber?) can drop a Mirror, which can specifically be used on Light Nation, if you want to learn White Wind early.
- If I remember right, Healing Inferno is less about negating the minigame (you can still lose characters from the opening blow if you did really bad), and more of a way to prevent poor first-round luck, since otherwise he has a small chance to open the fight with the Back Attack + Arm Attack x2, killing a character instantly. Plus, I mean, it's the Rubicante GT model.... it's only the honorable thing to do.

Mak0rz posted:

So Laser is still broken, just in a different way, and also practically impossible to miss this time around?
More or less. I think Laser is on a timer though, so you can (temporarily) miss it if you really blitz the lil guys.

DoubleCakes
Jan 14, 2015

In our first episode outside of Midgar, it's Part 15: Ahead On Our Way! In this episode, we skip over that flashback in Kalm and instead focus on procuring equipment and obtaining some Enemy Skills. We get a party member earlier than vanilla FF7. There are some changes to Summon materia and Chocobo Lure.

Stay tuned because in a future video (probably the next one), we'll be introduced to another major New Threat feature!

Miacis posted:

- One of the early bosses (Plasma Bomber?) can drop a Mirror, which can specifically be used on Light Nation, if you want to learn White Wind early.
- If I remember right, Healing Inferno is less about negating the minigame (you can still lose characters from the opening blow if you did really bad), and more of a way to prevent poor first-round luck, since otherwise he has a small chance to open the fight with the Back Attack + Arm Attack x2, killing a character instantly. Plus, I mean, it's the Rubicante GT model.... it's only the honorable thing to do.

That Mirror trick would have been cool, getting White Wind would have been real neat. I'll be sure to mention that in an upcoming video. Also, I never made the connection that Rubicante GT heals you at the beginning of his battle because their FF4 counterpart was a noble fighter.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

FYI, the party members not in your battle trio will indeed be hanging out in towns a few times in Vanilla games. Like when you first land in Costa Del Sol for instance.

Do the summons act differently at all, or are the same as always? It looked like Chocomog had confuse effect now in the menu when in vanilla he's stop...

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

I just want to say I appreciate the bite-sized chunk of your vids + the giant subs when you want to emphasise a point. Makes this a very chill experience.

Also now I'm tempted to get into this mod, whee.

DoubleCakes
Jan 14, 2015

Choco1980 posted:

FYI, the party members not in your battle trio will indeed be hanging out in towns a few times in Vanilla games. Like when you first land in Costa Del Sol for instance.

Do the summons act differently at all, or are the same as always? It looked like Chocomog had confuse effect now in the menu when in vanilla he's stop...

I remember the Costa Del Sol party member stuff, but not much else. The party member stuff you get in Kalm was a welcome addition to New Threat.

As for the Summons, to compensate for their one-time use and their high MP cost, their power has been increased and they all(?) pierce magic defense. Additionally, they all inflict a status ailment (for example: Shiva inflicts Slow).

Artelier posted:

I just want to say I appreciate the bite-sized chunk of your vids + the giant subs when you want to emphasise a point. Makes this a very chill experience.

Also now I'm tempted to get into this mod, whee.

Yeah, I'm always improving. In my upcoming video, I'm starting to narrate over footage in post-production because it's easier to follow than imposing a series of titles over a montage. As for the length, I've had a few people tell me that around 20 minutes is a good length for episodes and I don't like to go too much over. It's all for the comfort of the viewer!

DoubleCakes
Jan 14, 2015

Coming up is Part 16: Quiet Dangers In the Mythril Mine!

This is a big one, people. Later on in the video we're introduced to one of the big systems of New Threat, a mechanic that changes everything. Along the way we meet some interesting new random encounters and duke it out with a couple members of the Turks, a fight not in the original FF7.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

Huh, is there a limit to how many deals you can make with Mr. Smile, or is it just a case of grinding SP?

Also, did Rude have anything worth stealing?

VKing
Apr 22, 2008
I really like this LP, keep it up!

I've never heard of this mod before, but it sure makes another FFVII playthrough more exiting. Looking forward to seeing what other shenanigans will happen.

Miacis
Oct 9, 2012

Get off my lawn!!
Those videos are enjoyable to watch with all the editing to keep the pace up. Keep it up. :)

Choco1980 posted:

Huh, is there a limit to how many deals you can make with Mr. Smile, or is it just a case of grinding SP?

Also, did Rude have anything worth stealing?
It's eight deals per character. Boss fights are the big SP givers, and I do believe there is a cap (not sure how soft) on how much SP you can gain between plot moments so, generally, grinding is more for EXP and AP.

As for steals, Rude had either a War Gong (Berserk) or a Molotov (Fire damage + Slow). Elena also carried a Loco Weed (Confusion). This one is the only worthwhile steal, because it can be immediately used on Rude. All the Turks have an element they're strong against, and a status they're always weak against: Rude is fireproof but gets confused, Elena (sometimes) ignores ice but easily falls asleep, and Reno resists lightning but gets paralyzed. On top of that, they're all (half-)affected by Gravity until Disc 2 so Laser, as usual, cleans house.

Miacis fucked around with this message at 02:51 on Jan 2, 2018

DoubleCakes
Jan 14, 2015

Here comes Episode 17: Tales From the Junon Countryside! In this episode we have ourselves our first Fort Condor fight, a special encounter in Junon's forests, and finally we fight against a boss in Lower Junon.

Thanks for all the love, guys! I'm really enjoying this mod and making a Let's Play out of it. I hope to keep it up and bring some good entertainment!

VKing
Apr 22, 2008
I remember the gameplay shift at Fort Condor was quite extreme, but it looks like the mod has gone even further.

DoubleCakes
Jan 14, 2015

Next up is Part 18: Junon and then Jenova. It's exactly as it says- this episode takes us through the Junon sequence and then the first Jenova battle on the Cargo Ship. There's a lot of chatter about world map themes along the way, but when we get to the Jenova battle it is relentless! It's the hardest battle yet and it's one of those fights that I wish I was a bit more prepared than I was.

VKing posted:

I remember the gameplay shift at Fort Condor was quite extreme, but it looks like the mod has gone even further.

The modder should be so proud. Intercutting FF7 with classic RTS gameplay could only require the greatest hacking skill.

not lame!
May 9, 2006
STYLE!
I am enjoying this LP. I do like the subtitles and also the skipping of parts that most FF7 fans (such as myself) are familiar with.

Question: You use Cloud's cross-slash limit break a lot. However, in the original game, the cross-slash does less damage than Braver (offset by the fact that it causes paralysis on the target). Assuming this is the same in New Threat Mod, if you use cross-slash on an enemy and it doesn't paralyze it, surely next limit you should use Braver?

DoubleCakes
Jan 14, 2015

not lame! posted:

Question: You use Cloud's cross-slash limit break a lot. However, in the original game, the cross-slash does less damage than Braver (offset by the fact that it causes paralysis on the target). Assuming this is the same in New Threat Mod, if you use cross-slash on an enemy and it doesn't paralyze it, surely next limit you should use Braver?

I never really thought about that. To be honest, I'm often hoping (and seeing) if the enemy is susceptible to paralysis. As for you liking this LP and appreciating the editing, I'm grateful! I'm trying to skip past a lot of things that's aren't interesting or unsurprising.

Miacis
Oct 9, 2012

Get off my lawn!!

DoubleCakes posted:

It's the hardest battle yet and it's one of those fights that I wish I was a bit more prepared than I was.
Here are a few more preparation tips, then, to help make NT battles go by a bit faster:
- The Fort Condor battles give good rewards, especially early game, when accessories are rare and a safe way to raise stats without breaking your materia setup. The second battle gives a Safety Bit, which protects against Manipulation and Death Sentence (that would have helped for Jenova, actually). There is some decent stuff from the Junon minigames too (I think an HP Drain sword and a magic armor?), but it's nothing you can't buy later.
- Use Summons on bosses. They pierce resistance, are a great way to do burst damage, and their status always lands. Shiva in particular is useful until the end of the game simply because she has Slow, which most bosses are affected by. (Antipode being the simpler, less reliable option). - The flying nodes get one-shot by Choco/Mog too, but it's not like you could have guessed they'd show up, and Demi worked fine enough. (They are also susceptible to LV5 Suicide)
- On the other hand, standard magic is kinda bad on bosses unless it's hitting a weakness or dealing multi-target damage. If you're unsure what a boss is gonna be weak to, just bring Quake. FF7 has a lot of large, grounded bosses.
- Barriers, and setting Sadness on people you want to tank and support helps a lot to keep everyone alive, too.

To be fair though, Jenova is still a tricky fight when coming in blind. She attacks reasonably fast, but has a bit of a cooldown after every string of attacks that can be exploited to deal big damage, and then defend during her attacking phase. It's not very visible ingame that she does, though. The player also used to have access to anti-shout accessories before v1.5, but the accessory re-jiggering took that out now.

Miacis fucked around with this message at 03:07 on Jan 8, 2018

DoubleCakes
Jan 14, 2015

We explore Costa del Sol and the first half of Mt. Corel in Part 19: Where The Wind Blows Loud. There's a lot of battle footage in this one because the random encounters get a bit tougher. There's also some discussion on the future of the New Threat mod.

Miacis posted:

Here are a few more preparation tips, then, to help make NT battles go by a bit faster:
- The Fort Condor battles give good rewards, especially early game, when accessories are rare and a safe way to raise stats without breaking your materia setup. The second battle gives a Safety Bit, which protects against Manipulation and Death Sentence (that would have helped for Jenova, actually). There is some decent stuff from the Junon minigames too (I think an HP Drain sword and a magic armor?), but it's nothing you can't buy later.
- Use Summons on bosses. They pierce resistance, are a great way to do burst damage, and their status always lands. Shiva in particular is useful until the end of the game simply because she has Slow, which most bosses are affected by. (Antipode being the simpler, less reliable option). - The flying nodes get one-shot by Choco/Mog too, but it's not like you could have guessed they'd show up, and Demi worked fine enough. (They are also susceptible to LV5 Suicide)
- On the other hand, standard magic is kinda bad on bosses unless it's hitting a weakness or dealing multi-target damage. If you're unsure what a boss is gonna be weak to, just bring Quake. FF7 has a lot of large, grounded bosses.
- Barriers, and setting Sadness on people you want to tank and support helps a lot to keep everyone alive, too.

To be fair though, Jenova is still a tricky fight when coming in blind. She attacks reasonably fast, but has a bit of a cooldown after every string of attacks that can be exploited to deal big damage, and then defend during her attacking phase. It's not very visible ingame that she does, though. The player also used to have access to anti-shout accessories before v1.5, but the accessory re-jiggering took that out now.

Thanks for all the tips! I'm trying to keep it in mind and trying to be prepared more for battles. I think I'm getting a hang of what abilities to emphasize and roll around with.

As for the Fort Condor battles, if they give decent rewards then I'll give them a serious shot.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

I played through NT 1.3 I believe, it was good times, and SegaChief is a cool dude. You've got a nice voice for YouTube btw, I'm enjoying what I'm watching so far!

DoubleCakes
Jan 14, 2015

Ms Adequate posted:

I played through NT 1.3 I believe, it was good times, and SegaChief is a cool dude. You've got a nice voice for YouTube btw, I'm enjoying what I'm watching so far!

Thanks a lot! As for my voice I am getting used to it. I'm more comfortable hearing it now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Truman Sticks
Nov 2, 2011
I'm really enjoying these videos as well! You seem to know your audience, as the focus of the videos is less on the game's story and more on the changes the mod brings. This keeps the pace of the videos up.

It's a small thing, but I also like the audio queues you add whenever your added text appears on the screen. I tend to have game videos (such as LPs) on while I'm working on something else, so I like hearing the sound so I can turn my attention to the screen briefly.