Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.
whoa, she actually has covered wars

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chip Cheezum
Sep 5, 2006

Sic Parvis Magna and all that
It's still barely Christmas here, which means I technically got this update out on time!!

Episode 3: Chili Con Carne.....Cut Commentary

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

preface all my posts with this
One thing I love about BG&E is its ability to create a real sense of space and sense of place. While it's only kind of an open world, there's something fantastic about the water reflections, the ambient creatures and vehicles, and the attention to detail (seeing constellations with the camera; every citizen having a different, unique model). I'm really afraid the second game, while having this insane sense of scale, will almost certainly not have the same level of detail. I think that's the real difference-maker in open world games. Some feel lived in (Red Dead Redemption, The Witcher 3) and some feel emotionless and repetitive.

Enjoyed the video, and appreciate you putting in frame the things you're discussing. Really makes a difference.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010
Pictured: an unearthed relic from the era when Xbox Live Arcade games had to have a leaderboard - any leaderboard - to pass cert.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Hello! I see you.

I tried BG&E very briefly while borrowing my friend's Xbox back in 2003, but didn't really get into it for some reason. I liked the characters, especially everyone's favorite pig uncle, but got distracted by other games before even reaching the first dungeon and then never got around to playing this again. That said, watching these videos inspired me to pick up the HD version (currently $3.49 on the Xbox Live store, also works on Xbox One) and I'm really enjoying the game this time around.

Shark air hockey is a lot more difficult than it looked in the LP! :argh: I did eventually win the pearl, but had to load my save a couple of times.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Doc Morbid posted:

Shark air hockey is a lot more difficult than it looked in the LP! :argh: I did eventually win the pearl, but had to load my save a couple of times.
Ditto. Sometimes you win within seconds, sometimes you back and forth for minutes before the shark just nails the game.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Can't believe that- Kojima aside- dude rear end technology hasn't improved since 2003.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

The music when you get out on the water remains fantastic every time I hear it and will probably continue to do so forever.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

RareAcumen posted:

Can't believe that- Kojima aside- dude rear end technology hasn't improved since 2003.

Overwatch, yo

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Man, I had completely forgotten that the jet boots were just one big fart joke.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Yeah, not seeing lip-flaps just seems so weird these days. I guess the technology just became super common?

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

I figure another factor was you probably wouldn't be able to notice at your square TV's resolution, so they didn't bother animating it.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Most games that do lip sync during gameplay are using dynamic animation, anyway, which wasn't common until Half-Life 2 which came out I want to say just after BG&E? Before then it was all done manually, which means if they wanted to do lip sync during gameplay they'd have to hand animate it, which is a massive pain in the rear end for something most people won't even notice.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

So yeah, baby steps.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DFtZ0SbWTrg

But with anthros.

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

:blizz:

C&I are just killing it with the LPs that bring us back to our cartoon-watching days.

We had Mega Man Legends for that old after-school anime vibe, Wonderful 101 for our Saturday-morning superhero hijinks, and now Beyond Good & Evil comes in, and danged if it doesn't feel just like a Disney Afternoon-esque adventure serial.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

I'd definitely like to see them tackle Mega Man Legends 2, as that was the one I didn't play and thus isn't burned into my childhood memories.

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

What did the grandma say to the frog?

Something racist, probably.

Mazed posted:

C&I are just killing it with the LPs that bring us back to our cartoon-watching days.

We had Mega Man Legends for that old after-school anime vibe, Wonderful 101 for our Saturday-morning superhero hijinks, and now Beyond Good & Evil comes in, and danged if it doesn't feel just like a Disney Afternoon-esque adventure serial.

And no more heroes for that weird teenage anime phase.

Glazius posted:

Yeah, not seeing lip-flaps just seems so weird these days. I guess the technology just became super common?

I will take no lip-flapping over warcraft 3 style lip flapping any day.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Revengeance is renting Ninja Scroll from Blockbuster.

David D. Davidson
Nov 17, 2012

Orca lady?
So is Watch Dogs watching the Taken movies on tv then?

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

What did the grandma say to the frog?

Something racist, probably.
Watch Dogs was a mistake.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.
Watch Dogs was renting Batman, only the box didn't contain the Batman tape, it instead had been switched out for someone's home film of 'Being Batman.'

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

EponymousMrYar posted:

Watch Dogs was renting Batman, only the box didn't contain the Batman tape, it instead had been switched out for someone's home film of 'Being Batman.'

Ah, a classic Be Kind, Rewind scenario.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Nalesh posted:

Watch Dogs was a mistake.

Why did you just emptyquote David D. Davidson?

Chip Cheezum
Sep 5, 2006

Sic Parvis Magna and all that
I really need to hook my uncle up with somebody. Any takers???

Episode 4: Jellies.....Cut Commentary

Pootybutt
Apr 5, 2011

Please, call now. For just 70 cents a day, you can symbolically adopt a Peyj, along w a free year's subscription to Zoobooks.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.
The Hillys National Geographic: Peyj edition.

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

Just your friendly neighborhood photobomb raptor.

So,anyone have theories as to where the Dom'Z are coming from? Personally I think they're entities created by the Fiddy Zone.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
The kidnappings have been going on for so many planets and no one knows about it. IRIS is rather bad at getting the news out.

Fwoderwick
Jul 14, 2004

I've completed this game at least 3 times and never knew you could hand health containers over Pey'J. I mean he even asks you for one...

azren
Feb 14, 2011

Waffleman_ posted:

Revengeance is renting Ninja Scroll from Blockbuster.

I must have missed the nudity in Revengeance, then...

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Fwoderwick posted:

I've completed this game at least 3 times and never knew you could hand health containers over Pey'J. I mean he even asks you for one...
There's next to zero point to doing so until / unless you're at max health. I've played through the game twice, and have seen my AI partner knocked out exactly once.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

azren posted:

You can strip a couple people naked by attacking them.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

azren posted:

Raiden never wears more than a hat and a poncho.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Dabir posted:

Raiden never wears more than a hat and a poncho.

Once you're past the initial cutscene.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Well there we go, even better. He action-strips as soon as the game begins!

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Rename the LP to "Peyj's Vacation Photos" please

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

For some reason it annoys me that the 'z' in DomZ is capitalized.

Crystalgate
Dec 26, 2012

Xander77 posted:

There's next to zero point to doing so until / unless you're at max health. I've played through the game twice, and have seen my AI partner knocked out exactly once.
I think Pey'j has only gotten hurt once in this LP so far and that was when a boss used a ranged attack against Jade and he just happened to be positioned between them. I suspect your partners can only get hit by accident.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Snark
Oct 15, 2012

I'M SORRY, OK!? I admit I've made some mistakes, and Jones has clearly paid for them.
But ma'am! Jones' only crime was looking at the wrong files!
I beg of you, don't ship away Jones, he has a wife and kids!

-United Nations Intelligence Service

Crystalgate posted:

I think Pey'j has only gotten hurt once in this LP so far and that was when a boss used a ranged attack against Jade and he just happened to be positioned between them. I suspect your partners can only get hit by accident.

Nah, it's possible for them to take damage, it's just that in this game's combat engine it's unlikely to happen. Not impossible, just unlikely.

• Locked thread