Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
akira and ryo dont have their sideburns anymore in crybaby but they still have eyeliner and mascara so it should still be good, i think

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
no sideburns, no sale.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
just kidding, i'll give crybaby a shot

CrashScreen
Nov 11, 2012

I actually can't wait.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Gonna watch the show with good parents and good daughters and also Hina.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

instead of thinking or posting about winter 2018, you should vote for what was good in 2017 here: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3844642

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

dogsicle posted:

instead of thinking or posting about winter 2018, you should vote for what was good in 2017 here: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3844642

time for the annual "did i even watch 5 anime this year" check

e: in fact i completed exactly 5 from this year

Yaoi Gagarin fucked around with this message at 03:43 on Dec 26, 2017

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013
Watching for sure
Hakumei to Mikochi
Yurucamp
Mitsuboshi Colors

Trying
Grancrest Senki. I just realized it's by Mizuno Ryou (Lodoss War) so I'll give it a shot.
FRANXX
Possibly also citrus
Märchen Mädchen if people say it's good.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

dogsicle posted:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3844678

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
I still cant believe they're making Zoo Fights: The Anime

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!
Winter season seems kinda light, mostly SoL stuff catching my eye:

Deffo watching:

FranXX - It's trigger, but fingers still crossed.

Pop Team Epic - love the comics, not sure how it'll translate but it looks promising.

3 ep test:

Antarctica SoL - Heard about this randomly last year when I had a chance to go down there for work. I've been looking forward to it but no clue on what to expect.

Yuru Camp - Happened across the manga in either the Convince thread or the SoL thread. Really comfy series, but not sure it'll translate to TV.

Kokkoku - Premise sounds interesting but the synopsis sounds like it could go off the rails easily.

superLINUS
Sep 28, 2005

"The real tragedy happened long before I came along"
Just Kokkoku and Killer Bites (I know, I know) for me, and as a 45yr old man I'm running a bazillion miles away from Love Is Like After The Rain 😢

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!
Oh, forgot about the Junji Ito Collection .

Gonna watch the gently caress outta that.

jackofarcades
Sep 2, 2011

Okay, I'll admit it took me a bit to get into it... But I think I kinda love this!! I'm Spider-Man!! I'm actually Spider-Man!! HA!
Gonna watch Citrus for sure, can't wait. Not sure if it'll be good, but I'm watching it.

Takagi-san is a must watch.

Will try Koi wa Ameagari no You ni as well and Darling in the Franxx

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

i dont really like takagi's voice tbh

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Crain posted:

Antarctica SoL - Heard about this randomly last year when I had a chance to go down there for work.

Down to Japan or down to Antarctica?

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

Parallax
Jan 14, 2006

ah a star wars crossover

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Ootinigatari

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

how many characters will have white hair by the end of this franchise

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

all of them, including the audience

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world
as long as time flows.

Namtab posted:

The safe pick is violet evergarden and the risky pick is Karakai Jouzu no Takagi-san

4 pages late, but uh. The least risky of picks.
I guess the studio could literally poop on a screen and show that?

E: i should say, i guess maybe the humor won't translate to animation well or something, but the team would probably have to screw up pretty hard to make takagi unwatchable.

Rodenthar Drothman fucked around with this message at 07:14 on Dec 27, 2017

littleorv
Jan 29, 2011

Namtab is fail

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

In which Ararararagi stumbles upon a mirror world and the text is all written backwards. :allears:

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
I had no idea Jawas originated in Japan.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Sindai posted:

I had no idea Jawas originated in Japan.
Not according to Aziz Ansari and a random dude he got in a Twitter fight with.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fVixTwzjREk&t=185s

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

Silver2195 posted:

Down to Japan or down to Antarctica?

Antarctica.

Heard about it down there from some documentary people who were hanging around.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
Excited about:
・Violet Evergarden
・Yuru Camp△
・Pop Team Epic
・Mitsuboshi Colors
・Koi wa Ameagari no You ni
・Karakai Jouzu no Takagi-san
・Darling in the FranXX
・Cardcaptor Sakura: Clear Card-hen

Could be good:
・Toji no Miko
・Sora yori mo Tooi Basho
・Slow Start
・Ramen Daisuki Koizumi-san
・IDOLiSH 7
・Hugtto! Precure
・Fate/Extra Last Encore
・Citrus
・Hakumei to Mikochi
・25-sai no Joshikousei
・Dagashi Kashi 2
・Takunomi.

Good if I ever watch the first season:
・Saiki Kusuo no Ψ Nan 2

Good season.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Rodenthar Drothman posted:

4 pages late, but uh. The least risky of picks.
I guess the studio could literally poop on a screen and show that?

E: i should say, i guess maybe the humor won't translate to animation well or something, but the team would probably have to screw up pretty hard to make takagi unwatchable.

Sorry guys I havent read a lot of mangs.

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

wark talks like he's a hyperactive teenage girl except with grown up adult topics

wielder
Feb 16, 2008

"You had best not do that, Avatar!"
Despite already being familiar with the original Devilman storyline, Yuasa seems ready to find new and exciting ways to expand on the emotional weight of these events. In other words, Devilman Crybaby is going to make me sad and depressed in a very good way.

I liked the original Basilisk and there's always room in my heart for supernatural ninja action. To tell you the truth, I'd rather watch an adaptation of Yagyu Ninja Scrolls, but I'll still check this out. That said, I've also heard that this "sequel" was written by different people and has almost nothing to do with the previous Basilisk story so...I am trying to approach it with an open mind.

Darling in the FranXX has one of the weirdest names for a robot show. I definitely expect great things, at least on the animation front. Violet Evergarden looks nice on a pure production level too. I guess it'll be worth watching some of Hakyuu Houshin Engi just for the sake of nostalgia, since I remember enjoying the previous adaptation.

wielder fucked around with this message at 00:49 on Dec 28, 2017

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Futaba Anzu posted:

wark talks like he's a hyperactive teenage girl except with grown up adult topics
That's a pretty solid description of my overall casual writing/talking style! :cheeky:

I guess it comes down to the fact that I, y'know, spend ninety percent of my working day speaking/writing/reading/translating in at least 4 to 5 languages (English, Spanish, Portuguese, German and Japanese, with English and Spanish being more or less equally balanced in terms of usage) and more often than not that unfortunately has the effect of me "cutting corners" and misusing terms, if not outright creating a horrifying mismash of garbled sentences whenever I'm winding down and just shooting the poo poo with people I consider my buddies both in real life and the internet(mostly here, for the latter).

I sincerely apologize if my manner of posting gives you a headache, for that is not my aim. Have a rad day/night, Anzu. :)

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen

Futaba Anzu posted:

I kinda like it. being enthusiastic about things is cool!

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Actually starting to look into some overview material and promos now, and am tentatively adding Grancrest and Beatless to my list of "will at least try."

Fairly indifferent on the promo for Beatless, but the original work seems to have generally positive reviews and the concept seems at least somewhat interesting, so it gets a shot.

Grancrest at least looks like a fantasy work without either a harem or yet another isekai protagonist, so there's at least some interest kindled - it being by the writer of Lodoss just adds some nostalgia as well.

If anyone's actually familiar with either, feel free to tell me what a terrible idea either of these is, and that I should abort now.

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

Futaba Anzu posted:

Yes, and it owns.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Lord Koth posted:

Grancrest at least looks like a fantasy work without either a harem or yet another isekai protagonist, so there's at least some interest kindled - it being by the writer of Lodoss just adds some nostalgia as well.

If anyone's actually familiar with either, feel free to tell me what a terrible idea either of these is, and that I should abort now.
Ryo Mizuno, in general, is a fairly strong fantasy writer, and while I feel that he's much more old-school in his writing style than, say, Hajime Kanzaka (Slayers) or Ichiro Sakaki (Chaika, Scrapped Princess), he does seem to learn and take note of certain things to incorporate them into his own works. So, if this is a dip into old waters with new things that he picked up along the way, I'd say you're in good hands. Also, the most recent thing that the series director did was Rakugo Shinju (which is easily one of my favorite anime EVER), so I'd like to think that you're going to be in good hands. :)

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Wark Say posted:

Ryo Mizuno, in general, is a fairly strong fantasy writer, and while I feel that he's much more old-school in his writing style than, say, Hajime Kanzaka (Slayers) or Ichiro Sakaki (Chaika, Scrapped Princess), he does seem to learn and take note of certain things to incorporate them into his own works. So, if this is a dip into old waters with new things that he picked up along the way, I'd say you're in good hands. Also, the most recent thing that the series director did was Rakugo Shinju (which is easily one of my favorite anime EVER), so I'd like to think that you're going to be in good hands. :)

Well heck, looks like I'm watching Grancrest.

Funny that he managed/decided to write two Record of (X) War series' though.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Ryo what the hell

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dick Spacious CPA
Oct 10, 2012

the only good show this winter will be the Devilman show

violent evergarden is going to look good, but the story is going to be dumb as h*ck

• Locked thread