Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

They both look like Five Star Stories robots

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

the first few episodes owned, yes. have you blocked out the rest of the show from your memory?

i watched it two months ago and liked it a lot, what disappointed you?

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

i am disappointed

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

the first few episodes owned, yes. have you blocked out the rest of the show from your memory?

The whole thing is good

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

I'll have to see the actual show obviously but the pvs have kind of turned me off, they're just so busy and it looks like it's going to try and be too many things at once.

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013

I'm with Futaba Anzu on this one

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

Star Driver was great, but could definitely stand to be a ~16 episode show instead of 25. The beginning is incredible, the ending is incredible, but there's a lot of repetitive junk in the middle. I got really sick of 'powers as the plot demands'.

Most of the episodes from 17 through 23 can just go straight into the trash. That's where a lot of irrelevant bullshit and tack-on characters who don't even show up for the finale are. I think these episodes are where most people form their main impression of the show and just kinda glaze over through the end, and that's just really lovely.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
everything with the second priestess could have been ditched, and that was like half of the dang show.

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

Nah, her shtick was alright. It's just also when the garbage external characters come in and start making GBS threads up the place with bad gimmicks. Those episodes could have been written around any of the existing characters instead and gotten a lot more mileage, because then at least the 'bad guys' are making progress instead of getting shown up.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022
I mean I’ve only seen 17 episodes so far but all them have been very similar in quality, early or no.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Ranzear posted:

Nah, her shtick was alright. It's just also when the garbage external characters come in and start making GBS threads up the place with bad gimmicks. Those episodes could have been written around any of the existing characters instead and gotten a lot more mileage, because then at least the 'bad guys' are making progress instead of getting shown up.

Do you mean when those girls from another school or whatever show up, hit on the boys for a few episodes and then disappear forever for some reason? I liked those eps

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Yes, Star Driver coulda used a little trimming, but Magical Boy / Gundam Pilot / "Love knows no bounds!" hijinks are extremely my poo poo. Also, while he is not my favorite voice actor, when properly cast, Mamoru Miyano is a treasure to be protected (Takuto, Tamaki, Okabe Rintaro Hououin Kyouma!, Cinque among a select few).

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
just heard about Takunomi airing this season, which is a 4koma manga about a woman moving into an apartment with other women and they just eat food and drink

aots

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
I like the lady with the Cat-Smile already. :3:

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Expect My Mom posted:

just heard about Takunomi airing this season, which is a 4koma manga about a woman moving into an apartment with other women and they just eat food and drink

aots

Eh, it's no Drinking Girls

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

GorfZaplen posted:

[vince mcmahon gif of him swinging his legs off the table and looking suddenly curious]

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

GorfZaplen posted:

Do you mean when those girls from another school or whatever show up, hit on the boys for a few episodes and then disappear forever for some reason? I liked those eps

Except two of them were gratuitous lesbians or whatever, right? We already had the dumb trio of irrelevant add-on guys, who then got multiple cracks at it while Lion-boxer Bot was never seen again. Everyone should have gotten another round in once the second seal was down, but instead we got a bunch of assholes out of nowhere. I thought only the island dwellers originally had marks anyway, and Takuto's grandfather was from there.

Also: Not killing people should be because you know they go to your school and who they are, despite their masks. Shoulda just killed the randos.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

GorfZaplen posted:

Maybe not, but until the Drinking Girls anime exists, this may be the best option.

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

I remember dropping Star Driver half-way because I thought it was poo poo. Part of that was due to how obnoxiously hard it was trying to be Utena and failing miserably. But also it just didn't appeal to me at all and was decidedly mediocre in everything but visuals.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
It turns out that Classicaloid S2 is 2 cour for anyone who's been keeping up with that. I have a feeling it's just me but it's starting to pick up in the 2nd half much like the 1st season did.

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

Nephthys posted:

I remember dropping Star Driver half-way because I thought it was poo poo. Part of that was due to how obnoxiously hard it was trying to be Utena and failing miserably. But also it just didn't appeal to me at all and was decidedly mediocre in everything but visuals.

Yep, that sounds about right, because about halfway through it is poo poo.

Assuming you watched through episode 12 (the Yellow Lion robit) I'll make a strong recommendation to watch the following episodes just to finish the series with minimal bullshit: 16, 22, 24, 25

Yes, that's just four episodes out of thirteen. 23 is optional, it'll give a hint as to what Takuto's deal with his dad is and has a nice punchline :downsrim:. Maybe Erg can chime in if I'm missing anything important.

Just watch those four like a movie. This actually skips something like six characters who do absolutely nothing of consequence and, as mentioned, aren't even in the finale. It also includes just enough hints of aliens!

I really liked this show overall and think the ending is one of the best there is in concept. Takuto can see his future, while his dad can only see his past, which is why he knows he can't let Sugata stay in the pocket dimension; he's seen himself with both of them on the beach, which I think made it into the movie. The second half also has one of the best openings ever.

I have to start Utena already. If it's anything like Star Driver as you suggest, I'll enjoy it far beyond what I already know.

Ranzear fucked around with this message at 00:23 on Dec 31, 2017

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
using lists of what the good episodes of a show to watch are and skipping over all others is weak unless it's nadia

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

it's good

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

The Colonel posted:

using lists of what the good episodes of a show to watch are and skipping over all others is weak unless it's nadia

I don't think there's a single major plot point in the second half that those four episodes miss besides 'oh, he can fly now'. This is more a suggestion of "Definitely, 100%, watch the last two episodes because they're worth it, but here's a few others you might need for context."

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i haven't watched star driver but this sounds like those lists that tell you to skip all the filler episodes of sailor moon and i'm morally opposed to that

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

The Colonel posted:

i haven't watched star driver but this sounds like those lists that tell you to skip all the filler episodes of sailor moon and i'm morally opposed to that

the filler episode of sailor moon where usagi says lesbianism is bad is worth skipping, imo

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Watch it all or live your life in normie hell

E: except for the episode where usagi says lesbianism is bad

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

The Colonel posted:

If someone has already watched the first half of Star Driver, I think it's better for them to cherry pick from there than to drop the show entirely. They've already decided that the second half isn't worth their attention, I'm just pointing out the minimal parts that probably are, because it does get back to what was good about the first half.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

I mean if they watched the first half I think it makes sense for them to drop the whole thing rather than watch cherry-picked good episodes. Especially if the first half, the stuff they didn't like, was supposed to be the best part of the show.

Brutakas
Oct 10, 2012

Farewell, marble-dwellers!
If Star Driver isn't doing anything for you then give Captain Earth a shot. An anime of fine high quality. The main robot also has a great hat!

:unsmigghh:

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Brutakas posted:

If Star Driver isn't doing anything for you then give Captain Earth a shot. An anime of fine high quality. The main robot also has a great hat!

:unsmigghh:
This is a trap.

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

Grouchio posted:

This is a trap.

The robot does have a great hat.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Ranzear posted:

Yep, that sounds about right, because about halfway through it is poo poo.

Assuming you watched through episode 12 (the Yellow Lion robit) I'll make a strong recommendation to watch the following episodes just to finish the series with minimal bullshit: 16, 22, 24, 25

Yes, that's just four episodes out of thirteen. 23 is optional, it'll give a hint as to what Takuto's deal with his dad is and has a nice punchline :downsrim:. Maybe Erg can chime in if I'm missing anything important.

Just watch those four like a movie. This actually skips something like six characters who do absolutely nothing of consequence and, as mentioned, aren't even in the finale. It also includes just enough hints of aliens!

I really liked this show overall and think the ending is one of the best there is in concept. Takuto can see his future, while his dad can only see his past, which is why he knows he can't let Sugata stay in the pocket dimension; he's seen himself with both of them on the beach, which I think made it into the movie. The second half also has one of the best openings ever.

I have to start Utena already. If it's anything like Star Driver as you suggest, I'll enjoy it far beyond what I already know.

Nice watch order, for a clown

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

If you don't like episodes that don't advance the plot then you're going to hate Utena.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
every episode of utena is golden.

especially one where the girl think she's turning into a cow or the one where she thinks she laid an egg and her older brother goes "If You Laid An Egg, I Would loving Rout Your rear end"

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

https://twitter.com/animenewsnet/status/947517724326064128

Buh?

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
TYPE-MOON is making an anime that is nothing but Fate/Cooking Show and my opinion is that that is A-OK.

https://twitter.com/Merem110/status/947479058555682821

https://twitter.com/Yuyucow/status/947496401256239104

https://twitter.com/Yuyucow/status/947497986040442880

(stolen from ACES)

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
i'm down

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
it rocks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Nate RFB posted:

TYPE-MOON is making an anime that is nothing but Fate/Cooking Show and my opinion is that that is A-OK.

But the first Heaven's Feel movie already came out months ago?

• Locked thread