Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
  • Locked thread
Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Been sleep-deprived all week, finally had a chance to conk out on time last night. But then at that stage of almost-sleep where you have weird thoughts, I convinced myself that the jam had started and the theme had been announced: two things at once.

My dang insomniac brain then proceeded to design the majority of a game, including a plot, characters, scoping, and how the mechanics would be implemented. In lieu of any kind of restful sleep.

Worst part is, I really like the idea as a jam game. It'd be fun to make and (hopefully) fun to play. It is, in the most literal sense, the game of my dreams. But I don't know how well it'll line up with the actual TBA theme.

Still looking forward to Jamuary.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

What do you call those type of games where you launch somebody into the air and lose when they land/stop? Also, what's a popular one of those? Finally, what's a popular runner game?

I want to draw inspiration from some of those areas but I don't even know what to call them.

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

First major chunk of progress: basic player movement.

I've wanted the interpolation function used in the vertical movement a few times in the past but could never quite figure it out. This morning it was obvious to me that it was just the first quarter of a sine wave. Being adequately-slept is awesome.

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Whew, only took me two hours. I'm improving.

Now to see if I can maintain any kind of aesthetic consistency.

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Hey, this is starting to look like a (jam) game:

//vimeo.com/250936197

Still a long way to go to get it where I want to be, though.

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Starting to have the bones of a game in place. One week left to test and balance and polish, which means it's time to start on the most important phase of project development:

Old-timey slang and dad puns.

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Hmm, no internet until at least midday Sunday. Submission will be interesting.

Also getting visible bags under my eyes. Gamedev is fun. I'm ready for sleeptime.

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

ALFbrot posted:

My country's government just shut down. Can we claim this turmoil and get an extension on the deadline?

I had a silly thought as I read that this morning: what if your country's government was my country's government?

Lucky me that's not the case. The very informative historically accurate game I'm working on assures me of it:

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

If anybody's lookin' to blaze the Oregon Trail, I believe I'm feature complete:

Which is good, 'cause I'm booked this weekend (and every weekend until maybe March).

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

I submitted mid-yesterday because I was done and burnt out but now I have all of this leftover jam energy and I'm not sure what to do with it.

I spent an hour or so merely pondering the idea of playing, as opposed to making, a video game. Or maybe doing chores. Or something else productive.

It's good to have an accomplishment under my belt, but now I have a new goal which is also good: to finally get some sleep.

Last night was still restless because games are still being developed in my head.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

It took me way too long to find these, so I'll repost the links if anyone else missed the proper airings:

Gong Show Day 1
Gong Show Day 2

To Mastigophoran (or whoever it was that asked this question on The Oregon Trailblazer section): The music was me on the rhythm 6-string guitar/banjo and a buddy on the 12-string guitar at a big ol' house party that my roommate threw. I always record the jams with my musical buddy because they sound way better than what I have the patience to record by myself. And in this case I thought the interstitial conversations added to the charm, so I left most of them in.

Announcer wise, that was me. I meant to perhaps contact one of the other lovely goons who offered up their services, but I didn't get around to determining how many and which different things I wanted to say until about three days before the deadline.

Graphics wise, also me. I might be able to do a little better on the in-engine effects with more time, but that's about the peak of my artistic ability.

Finally, the bizarre gameplay decisions and hideous back-end copypasta were solely my fault. For some reason I was determined to have only one action button. This didn't track well with testers, but I also didn't engage testers until fairly late in the process. What you ended up with is a vast improvement over what I started with, but it still doesn't come across well.

My one unambiguous success was "Press Spacebar.txt". I finally found a way to trick the end user into reading the instructions.

Thanks to all the judges and independent reviewers. You add much value to an already enriching experience.

• Locked thread