Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
  • Locked thread
JonTerp
Jan 31, 2008

That's cool.

Awful Winter Jam 2018

Chat with us on Discord
Follow the Twitter
ART PACK . ZIP

January 5th through January 21st (Submissions close 12am GMT -6 January 22nd)
Your theme is WEIRD HISTORY

What better way to spend cold winter days than making a jam game?

The Awful Winter Jam is a relaxed competition where you make a game based around the given theme. You'll get tons of unsolicited feedback and possibly win some modest prizes!

Rules
  • Don’t be a jerk.
  • Make a game that adheres to the theme.
  • 500mb (size on disk) submission size limit.

Theme clues
The phrases below are related with this years theme. Feel free to speculate in the thread. The real theme will be announced at Midnight January 5th (GMT -6).
  • "Great scott!"
  • "Once upon a time."
  • "That's not how I remember it happening."

Never made a game before?
Now is a great time to buckle down and learn! Our Discord community is active and full of devs happy to point you in the right direction. You can also refer to the Jam Resource links below.

At the end of the jam we’ll play all the games live on stream in front of a bunch of other nerds during our regular Gong Show.

This year’s theme will be announced January 5th and marks the start of the jam. We’ll update this page when the theme is announced. You can also follow us on Twitter where we post updates on the regular.

Helpful Links

Resources for Jammers
Did I mention joining the Discord?

JonTerp fucked around with this message at Jan 11, 2018 around 03:26

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JonTerp
Jan 31, 2008

That's cool.

Reserved

JonTerp
Jan 31, 2008

That's cool.

We're breaking out the "Best Art" category into two new ones!

Best 3D Art
For visual and technical excellence in mesh based art. (Models, animations, shaders)

Best 2D Art
For best looking non-meshed art. (Textures, sprites, UI elements)

This will hopefully give 2D sprite based games with wonderful art a fighting chance against 3D games with also wonderful art.

By the way, jam starts Friday morning at the stroke of midnight GMT +6. That's pretty soon!

JonTerp
Jan 31, 2008

That's cool.

https://twitter.com/awfuljams/status/948258712342458368

JonTerp
Jan 31, 2008

That's cool.

ALFbrot posted:

Just to make certain, the Winter Jam doesn't have the 3-team-member rule, correct? Inviting more shows me a warning on the AwfulJams site

Nope, no limit on team members. Go hog wild, as the kids say.

JonTerp
Jan 31, 2008

That's cool.

Sundae posted:

Any rules on pre-made art assets being used? Like, things I made / contracted from artists for other projects, but wouldn't mind re-using for a jam if they fit the theme? (Or is this a "start from scratch, make everything fresh" sort of jam?)

If it fits the theme, the wall is clean.

Go for it.

JonTerp
Jan 31, 2008

That's cool.

Your theme is

WEIRD HISTORY

Good luck!

JonTerp
Jan 31, 2008

That's cool.

Hidden Asbestos posted:

Theme adherence is a score, not a rule.

Kinda true. If you ignore the theme you're not going to win anything.

If you SUPER ignore the theme and can't even make a case for it to be related to the theme, you'll get on the wall of shame.

So in a way, it's kind of a rule.

JonTerp
Jan 31, 2008

That's cool.

Hey all.

We finally have a jam logo for you to use in splash screens and whatever else!

Here's the art pack with all the ~official~ Awful Jams logos!

ART PACK . ZIP

JonTerp
Jan 31, 2008

That's cool.

Hitlersaurus Christ posted:

I’ve narrowed my choices down to:

I've been meaning to tell you this but since you're never in Discord it keeps slipping my mind.

After Vinesauce played your game we had horn-balls emailing the Awful Jams support address for weeks asking where they could get the full version of "Goddess Breasters" from Super Mega 256-in-1. Some even joined the Discord demanding it.

Do with that what you will. Vinesauce is going to be playing the games again this year, but man did slightly teasing a ero game bring out the weirdos.

JonTerp
Jan 31, 2008

That's cool.

Hitlersaurus Christ posted:

Wait, Vinesauce played the summer jam games? Wait, he played MY lovely game?!
Sorry I unintentionally unleashed a wave of internet perverts. I came up with the name first as a parody of those shameless anime boob games like Senran Kagura then decided it'd make more sense as a PC Engine game for my game. Like the Game Ball one and the panda one it was just meant to gently caress with the player, which it apparently did. I just let my artist do whatever for the art but maybe she should have made something less... titillating, I guess?

Nah it was actually hilarious to watch. If anything you should lean more into the stuff you did in Super Mega. It was a hit on stream, Vinny ended up playing the entire thing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ai-Zhdz3e2k#t=6172s

JonTerp
Jan 31, 2008

That's cool.

ALFbrot posted:

My country's government just shut down. Can we claim this turmoil and get an extension on the deadline?

Does the government subsidize your ability to make ~video games~?

JonTerp fucked around with this message at Jan 21, 2018 around 00:14

JonTerp
Jan 31, 2008

That's cool.

Sedgr posted:

Do I need to do anything special on the website to submit my game or just update the page, put up a link to the download and its good?

Ive got it mostly finished at this point so I put it up at:

https://sedgr.itch.io/ufo-cattle-battle

and updated my games page on the awful jams site.

Might mess around with some stuff again tomorrow and update the version or something but its in a pretty good place at the moment I think. If anyone wants to download and try it early its there.

There is a submission process.

On the "Edit Your Game" page there is a big rear end button in the upper right that says "Read to Submit". Press that and upload your game.

Be sure to select supported operating systems or everything will break and we'll be sad.

JonTerp
Jan 31, 2008

That's cool.

SupSuper posted:

Make sure to select a OS when submitting

If you messed it up / need to resubmit / don't see your submission on the website, contact JonTerp on Discord asap.

I can see submissions that mess this up in the admin panel. So I can just be proactive and fix these myself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JonTerp
Jan 31, 2008

That's cool.

Big thanks to everyone playing the games and writing reviews, it means a lot to the organizers and participants to have the games reviewed!

• Locked thread