Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Let's Clock Into The Sunset Together

Fun Shoe
Time to try and avoid the Wall of Shame again. :hellyeah:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Fun Shoe
I'm still waiting by the way:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eqoUYpqE0pw

:colbert: Maybe time traveling lizards...

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Fun Shoe
I will almost certainly be using the schedule I always use for these...

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Fun Shoe
Day 2: I have settled upon a concept, a gameplay mechanic, and made some real basic shapes and thrown them at Unity. I haven't messed with Unity 2D in years at this point, so I opted to play with Physics for a bit:

Who knew Olmec Heads were so bouncy?

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Fun Shoe
Day 3: I figured out how to add a rocket-like force and a particle system for some "flames".

I'm not sure why I added a second Olmec Head, but at this stage it felt right for playing with forces. Tomorrow I think I will try making the actual rockets and switching the force stuff over to them. Then I can work out how to let the player attach them to the Olmec heads.

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Fun Shoe

Myron posted:

I'm enjoying all these progress updates, especially because I have no clue how they relate to the theme.

Olmec heads flew in the past. Go ask a librarian they can confirm.

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Fun Shoe
Day 5:

Olmec Air Force is doing test flights, seems fairly effective. Time to learn about attaching objects to other objects at runtime. Then, I need some sort of goal and a moving camera.

Mo_Steel fucked around with this message at 04:28 on Jan 10, 2018

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Fun Shoe
Very nice logo!

Day 6: Progress?

I was originally thinking of going with a sort of KSP "attach rockets to the head in varying configurations and see how far you fly" but I'm not yet sure if I'd prefer that to just having the rockets attached by default and letting the player fly and try to avoid obstacles and see how high they can get into space. :shrug:

At the very least the Olmec Head is not at all disturbed by rockets flying everywhere. Calm fellow.

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Fun Shoe
Day 7: It may not look like things are changing much, but at the least I am learning.

Also it is an interesting challenge to try and fly this: one key controls the left booster, the other the right. If you want to move left, you need to release the left, but not too much or you'll roll. I may need to change it so once you let go it idles at 50% thrust to not over-roll too easily.

Mo_Steel fucked around with this message at 05:22 on Jan 12, 2018

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Fun Shoe
Floundering a bit here, so not much progress. Like last jam most of my dev time has actually been spent relearning and then enjoying mechanics and not really rounding out much of a game, sadly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Fun Shoe

ALFbrot posted:

For those who aren't in the Discord (join the Discord), here's the link to the Gong Show Schedule!

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1O3fbAGIJwvbp9I6SnJ2Qcbrm8Spx8p_s-gjX-xFToGU/edit?usp=drivesdk

I look forward to viewing the Gong Show from my perch upon the Wall. Always a good time to be had.

• Locked thread