Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
  • Locked thread
netcat
Apr 28, 2008

Not sure what I'm doing or how it relates to the theme but it's something. sprite taken from opengameart because lol I can't draw

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

netcat
Apr 28, 2008

My game is submitted and available to play @ itch.io:

http://www.awfuljams.com/winter-2018/games/usx-1944

There's probably a bunch more I could do on it but I'm all out of energy

netcat
Apr 28, 2008

Doom Goon posted:

Kind of like a Mega Man 1 romhack where you kind of play as the Zero from the GBA games! Overall I ended up liking it a fair bit! There's a lot that I feel could use tweaking in both mechanics (sliding/air falling and bouncing off enemies, some hitboxes and placement) that I felt made it more difficult than it should have been along with some graphics stuff (not the best mix, although it did remind me Stinkoman), but it's good for its shortened development time! I mean, it's not runnable in the NES but you just can't do that every jam (or any jam, for anyone else).

Thanks for playing Yeah the mechanics are a bit iffy and takes some getting used to. I'm going to add a few tweaks after feedback in the discord like letting you cancel the slide with a jump (resulting in a long jump) and make it so the "bullet" comes out earlier when you attack. The spin attack is also pretty janky but I'm not sure what to do with it.

It'd be cool to give it a graphical touch up at some point and get a better variation in tiles and so on.

netcat
Apr 28, 2008

I've updated my game for anyone who's interested.

code:
Changelog:
- Slash projectile comes out at the very first attack frame
- Possible to cancel dash into a (long) jump
- Spin attack no longer bounces of enemies.
- Player takes no damage from flashing enemies
- Sword slash destroys bombs in addition to bullets
- Spin attack destroys bullets and bombs
- Add option to quit and go back to main menu when paused
I think these changes makes it quite a bit more pleasant and easier to play.

https://skellyware.itch.io/usx-1944

netcat
Apr 28, 2008

Doom Goon posted:

Definitely will go back to this one, and those are some very good changes! I kind of liked the bounce but at least I couldn't figure a good way for it (though it is neat using it on the last boss to get back on that platform!). And I didn't mention the slash projectile because I do think doing it that way with a delay can be a choice to make positioning more deliberate. The dash cancel is probably wholly a good idea, though! Most of the Mega Man games that use dash or sliding have a way out of it.

You can actually cancel it already by pressing in the opposite direction (like in Mega Man). After changing the projectile I think the game flows better and feels more fun. I liked the bounce too but it was kinda hard to use in a good way and it often just ends up killing you in my experience. I have a few more tweaks to put in and I'll probably remove the "slide gaps" (except maybe for some bonus stuff) since everyone seems to have troubles with them.

I'll have to play some games too soon and post my impressions.

netcat
Apr 28, 2008

I played a few games. I only spent a couple of minutes on each so this will be very shallow reviews.

A decent shmup, but the enemy spawns seem either random or could be telegraphed better. I started the game almost on top of a plane and sometimes when flying around the edges dodging something else a plane would enter from the side and kill me. Also I kinda wish the cutscenes could be skipped. The game crashed when I closed it for some reason.

Hyperturbo Great Emu War 1932
This is my favorite game so far. Quick and easy to get into and it feels good to play.

Harry Houdini and the Mummified Meanies
It's a nice looking game and it felt alright to play. I didn't feel like there were much of a challenge to it though and many of the enemies seemed to just be decorations rather than obstacles. It was short enough that I beat it though, and I think there could be a better progression of challenge to the levels, as is they all seem pretty samey.

A Machine to End War
This games seems good but I got stuck in a room I think. I killed all the enemies but no transition thing appeared.. maybe it was the end?

Night of the surfing dead
I like this and it's got probably my favorite art this jam, but I think it could use better feedback on when you take damage and lose lives.

CLock Jammers
This game seems -very- cool and ambitious (especially for a 2 week jam game). The first stage is way too long and difficult however for an introductory stage. I thought there would be 4-5 enemies but then there's a whole other screen to the right with a bunch more.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

netcat
Apr 28, 2008

Wow, thanks for writeup!

I don't know if you played the "final" version or not which I guess I put out on Thursday, but in that version the "long jump" is a lot easier to do since you just have to cancel dash with a jump. The game is tweaked a bit since submission and you'd probably be a lot more frustrated with the original version, though the core gameplay is pretty much the same.

The end boss might be a bit too hard, I agree. In the submitted version its pattern was essentially random but then I changed it to a set pattern and added some more to it and I might have gone a bit overboard. So it was actually easier in the earlier versions. But it might just be about tweaking its health or damage output, maybe the easy mode version is where the sweet spot's at (then it takes 10 less hits and the player takes a couple more).

I agree with the bounding box issues, but I was stupid and made the collision box same as the hurt/hit box.

Also, I personally really don't like the keyboard controls and think it controls a lot better with a gamepad, especially doing the slide/jumps with a keyboard is painful, though it's not really required anymore except at the end of the 3rd stage.

• Locked thread