Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ApproachingInfinity
Sep 14, 2008
Team Phlargenarffen is totally gonna (attempt to) take that Unreal prize :dance:

Most of my dev experience is in Unity so this is gonna be fun. But, no better way to learn :getin:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ApproachingInfinity
Sep 14, 2008

Giggs posted:

Glory Simulator 480 BC
Super polished, very clean, a bunch of nice little flourishes. The audio is nicely mixed, the sound effects are all flashy and satisfying. There are some slight blemishes. The enemy arrangement doesn’t feel like it’s aligned with the 3 Spartans, so moving around to throw them feels like it isn’t set up to be clean, or easily lined up. I haven’t managed to kill all three Immortals in a single wave because their movement is just too erratic for the slow spear/Spartan speed. I managed to make it into the high 20s but haven’t passed that to see if there’s an ending yet. The art style is really nice too, it’s clean and pretty. The lighting effects add a lot to the presentation.

Team Phlargenarffen makes another solid game with very good presentation. Nice!

Thanks for the feedback! We didn't quite make it to having a ton of story in the game, so we cheated pivoted to making it just loop the waves infinitely, but with increasing speed. On the enemy spacing, I thought a lot about whether to have the enemies always keep the same spacing as the Spartans, and initially decided "nah 'cause then it's too easy to just position them to line up and get tons of kills all at once! :downs:" Most of the waves were made with this logic, but thinking about it now it probably would have been better to do that and then just stack tons of units for tons of points. All this stuff is pretty easily tweakable, so I may go back and adjust (we're also missing some enemy types that we have the art for, so I want to add those).

It was also our first foray into Unreal Engine, so there was much learning to be had. I'll definitely be putting up a post mortem for this one.

ApproachingInfinity
Sep 14, 2008
Finally sat down to start playing through some the games I'd missed; gonna try to write a few words about each one as I go. Here's the first few:

Fenrir
I like the style of the wolf model, the blacks on his fur might have needed to be a bit brighter so we don't lose his shapes in dark lighting, but otherwise he looked cool! From the discussion on the Discord, I definitely agree that the overall scale of things was probably hitting you a bit when it came to the character controls - this is something Unity themselves don't do a great job of communicating, but you'll almost always want to stick to real-world scales if you're making any use of the physics engine. The controls were a little on the awkward side (for 3rd-person movement, you should rotate the character with the mouse look, if possible), but I did appreciate having them on-screen. For a short jam game that's perfect, and the other Quality-of-Life things like having a prompt telling me how many points I should be aiming for + the ability to restart levels were really nice - I kept going into the lava spouts and got stuck in the second level a couple times so I made some use of that :vv:

Hyperturbo Great Emu War 1932
The simple gameplay is pretty fun, and I liked the music! The cool streaky blood splat effect and sound effects made it pretty satisfying to get kills - I felt like a movie monster killing scores of unsuspecting soldiers. It did take me a few runs to figure out how to not just get wrecked instantly by staying too close to them, though; it was pretty easy to end up 100-0%'d in an instant by making the wrong move, even in early waves. Maybe a small period of invincibility frames would have helped with this?

Very well done overall! Naturally I sucked rear end at it and died a ton :negative: having infinite lives helped out a lot. The plane's hitbox is just a tad bit too wide, I think - most of my deaths were to crashes with enemy planes I thought I would get past. The CGA palette thing is a neat effect - some things look better than others but in general I think it worked. The dials-as-UI thing was cool and easy to understand, and the voice acting for all the gameplay bits was a good touch, as it helped communicate what each of the pickups did very quickly. It was also very cool to have the voice acting in general, good job from Xibanya and Mihai!

Crazy Motorcade
I died in the first 8 seconds because I ran into a traffic signal :shepface: I read your postmortem after playing it, so I see now that my rad computer was the issue, but I actually almost gave up on this one because of how difficult it was to get past that first bridge. I'm glad I stuck to it though; Lee Harvey Oswald showing up to the Ganondorf theme got a good laugh out of me. The handling of the car was pretty strange, but I loved the idea and it was generally solid, didn't really have any technical issues besides the framerate lasers. The boss was fun too!

Try Something New
This is an oddly addicting game. It somehow has like the Civ-style "one more turn" pull. Every two days or so I would be on the brink of ruin, then a random gently caress-it-level "Buy 2 beers and sell them for triple the price" scheme would always bring me back. I would have liked to be able to carry over my previous day's buy/sell plan, since there were a couple days where I ended up just doing the same thing repeatedly (or rainy days I would basically just buy one or two things and sell em cheap to pass the day).

I'll post some more as I get through more of 'em. Really cool stuff on this jam everyone! Excited to see the judging results :woop:

• Locked thread