Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
  • Locked thread
Myron
Jul 13, 2009

Oh poo poo. I don't think I'll have BatHyphenMan finished by then, but I want to participate anyway. It won't be a loving platformer again though!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Myron
Jul 13, 2009

I'm enjoying all these progress updates, especially because I have no clue how they relate to the theme.

Myron
Jul 13, 2009

Mo_Steel posted:

Day 5:

Olmec Air Force is doing test flights, seems fairly effective. Time to learn about attaching objects to other objects at runtime. Then, I need some sort of goal and a moving camera.

See, now it makes perfect sense!

Myron
Jul 13, 2009

I don't really want to post a proper progress report for some reason, but here's an awkward dork bullshitting his way through a book report:

Myron
Jul 13, 2009

I have a stupid question: How do I actually join the jam with my team from last year? Clicking join takes me to the team creation form. I've typed in my old Team name ("Team Team"), but that just created another team with the same name.

Myron
Jul 13, 2009

Ah, I thought I had already seen teams with several games to them. Guess not. Thanks.

Myron
Jul 13, 2009

Dieting Hippo posted:

i had way too much tech debt for snail knight, so instead i'm making a game about selling wares to east and west berliners right after the fall of the berlin wall. have an intro video!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aJ0YQUApyuI

it's gonna be like Lemonade Stand, except you gear your sales towards whether more east or west berliners will be coming by your stall. you start each day buying perishables (food, newspapers) and seeing the weather forecast/events happening that day. after the day is over, you can then buy non-perishable "legit" goods from a dude's trunk before the next day starts.

also i started on this two days ago, so i'm essentially making a brand new game in one week. wish me luck

That's too bad, snail knight looked fun. I'm loving the Apple II gs font though.

Myron
Jul 13, 2009

Just 10 minutes ago I found a bug that took you to the ending screen after three quarters of the game, what could go wrong!?

Anyway, I'm out of time so here it is:

https://myronsa.itch.io/a-history-of-videogames

Myron
Jul 13, 2009

a cyberpunk goose posted:

why would you do this to me

edit: a history of video games is very good
But the mushroom is right there! (Seriously, the Mario with Mario levels are what I'm most disappointed with (apart from a bunch of cut features and a Defender clone that I decided against early on). I had to do them quickly before leaving for work yesterday, so there was no time for any kind of polishing). And thanks!

edit:

I've just started with Try Something New, so I can't say much about it yet, but:

Great job including a Mettigel!

Myron fucked around with this message at Jan 22, 2018 around 12:45

Myron
Jul 13, 2009

Doom Goon posted:

Cute ROM mash-up! I liked how the different styles didn't just change the character, but the level as well. Some were better than others (blast you

Pac-Man Spaceship!) but there were a couple particularly neat ones. I liked the SCUMM-esque characters in the narrative segments, though I think the

game would've benefited from some tunes. Good job!

Thanks for playing and giving feedback. I doubt anyone's gonna complete the Pac-Man stage with a spaceship. I removed a bunch of dots, but it still drags on for too long. Protip: It doesn't matter if you win or lose and there's only one ending . Originally I wanted to create different endings based on your choices and how well you do in the games, but I ran out of time (also the reason why there's no music).

I'll play as many games as I can and try to give helpful feedback. Let's see how long that lasts. I've gone through the first few rows of games, but only played the ones that had a link to their game on their awful jams page (no too many for some reason).

A solid shooter. I'm probably not the only one who died immediately, because by the time I realized I couldn't shoot yet, the screen was already filled with enemies. The last boss was good, though took a little too long when you lost your weapons. Also liked the dials. I like using a CGA palette in theory, but the graphics are too good and too fluid for it to really work here, I think. The voice acting was pretty good, especially considering how easy it is to go over the top when doing intentionally cheese stuff. Overall pretty good in just about every way. (My rating was shite, but that's no surprise.)

Try Something New
Love the aesthetics. There's not a lot of art, but what is there looks right. The buying animation is cute and the music fits nicely. Most of the time I found it easy to figure out why I was or wasn't selling well, so that's good. I didn't get far in so I don't know if there's more content from what you see the first week or so. I played it four times, two times I accidentally pressed ESC and ended the game, one time it crashed and on my best attempt I bet everything on the popularity of the Hoff and was sorely dissappointed when I only sold half my stuff.

Super Gaelic Dodgeball
The art, style and overall presentation (with proper menus) is awesome as always. Gameplay is fun and chaotic, though I find it hard to judge which strategy will do well. It seems like the opponents sometimes catch balls at will, while I find it difficult to determine when it's safe to catch a ball myself. That may well be because I haven't played the game enough, though. Overalll a very good-looking an fun game.

The Incredible Story of Pizza
This is an odd one. I guess it's more about you trying stuff out than about making a complete, well-rounded game. The graphics are nice, seeing randomly generated islands is fun and I love the zoom in to your pizzeria in the beginning. Baking pizzas is intuitive and easy to pick up. I couldn't figure out what to do with the orders at first, since you interact with most things by pressing E, but have to left click on the order. Driving around is fun, though it's easy to get your moped stuck upside down in the ground when picking it up. This happened to me like 2 out of 8 times I tried to drive. (I think it happens more often if you push it around first). Unfortunately, I haven't figured out how to actually deliver the pizzas yet. Driving into or stopping within the circle doesn't work, pressing buttons does nothing and I couldn't see a way to enter houses.

Hyperturbo Great Emu War 1932
Can't add much to what has already been said/you already know. It's short and simple but fun for what it is. Aesthetics, graphics, music, sounds and juiciness are good as always.

Y2Kthulu
This would really benefit from being a little longer, obviously. There's the groundwork for a decent JRPG-style battle system, but the game ends just when you start having to get a little tactical. There are more special attacks than total encounters, I think. I did only play through once and immediately chose the "right" path (if that's how the endgame actually works), so I probably haven't seen everything. The special attacks are interesting in theory, though there's little reason to not choose high damage spells most of the time. Naturally, this is your typical jam-game criticism, and the battle system would improve a lot in a more fleshed out game with more diverse enemies.

The Purging of Darkstorm Cave
This is really good! I guess some people would prefer WASD + mouse controls (which is what most action roguelites seem to be using), but I never feel 100% comfortable with those in a topdown game, so I actually prefer this control scheme. The only thing that took some getting used to was using the skills effectively, but a gamepad would easily fix that. Still, controls were easy enough that I didn't even bother hooking one up. The combat feels good, overall, though more detailed animations or some other type of feedback when hitting enemies would be nice. I like the way the healing spell works and I can see how doing similar things with other spells could make combat quite interesting. The difficulty seems right for a jam game, but in a full game there should probably be some kind of downside to too much grinding (other than the "rating" at the end). The Beholders killed me a few times before I got the hang of them and I think I got one-shotted by the enemies during the boss-fight when I was already overpowered for the dungeon. The dungeon generation seems good as far as I can tell. I didn't notice anything distracingly off or even gamebreaking, nor did the layouts seem too similar to each other. One dungeon had almost all enemies crammed into the right side with almost nothing on the left, but that's no big deal. I like the ability to switch characters on the fly, though I didn't explore it much. I would definitely pay money for this if you only made a shitton more content, more spells and skills, more enemies and an entire loving game

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Myron
Jul 13, 2009

Thanks for playing. I agree with everything you mentioned that's missing, especially the music. Of course wanted to include all that stuff, but you know how it is. Same with Mario's movements. I didn't want to recreate them perfectly anyway, but then I thought I should at least give him triangle jumps. Then I spent too much time trying to get the controls and other details reasonably close to the original, but they should still work with the other games. I eventually stopped at a point where I thought this will do, but I'm not entirely happy with it. I wasted too much time on Mario in general, only to spend less time on the Mario with Mario levels than on anything else. I also found a bunch of bugs towards the end. I made jumping on enemies very forgiving, but it's still buggy sometimes. No idea why, it's such a simple thing. I also made a fully functioning koopa and kickable shells only too leave them out because of bugs found a the last minute (they're in the spaceship stages, because they die in one hit there).
I'm glad you liked the Gravitar parts. It's far less well known than the other games and I wanted to include a Defender-clone as well, but I had to decide between the two, and thought the Gravitar-controls would mash better with the other games.

Dieting Hippo posted:

Good thing I finished working on Try Something New v1.1, removing that nasty crash I couldn't fix in time for the jam and escape guards so pressing escape will need a prompt.

Oh right, I forgot to get back to you on that, but I didn't remember when exactly the game crashed anyway.

• Locked thread