Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
  • Locked thread
EntranceJew
Nov 4, 2009

I made a video game and the internet looked at b'owl it was a great time for all.

I'm a Unity programmer boy so if you want to Unity then we should Unify.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EntranceJew
Nov 4, 2009

https://twitter.com/EntranceJew/sta...329655061581824

i come bearing vdieo games

EntranceJew
Nov 4, 2009

Heads up to anyone that downloaded Oligocene Snapshot that I updated the game to fix a couple small issues, so you might want to grab a new version of it. I also was able to add a MEGA mirror for it.

https://twitter.com/EntranceJew/sta...193985151881221

EntranceJew
Nov 4, 2009

It took me a bit to find the time to respond, so thanks to everyone that played Oligocene Snapshot and shared their thoughts.

Doom Goon posted:

It's a good classic SA one!
I don't understand what you mean by this but I take it as a good thing!

Doom Goon posted:

Really impressive, the game seems capable of detecting framing and multiple objects.
The game does a lot to grade photos, you can stress the limits of it but I think it was pretty well tuned to what's possible with the courses thanks to Gunzil working out all the difficult camera parts. Trying to find the best-worst photo is almost a game in itself, so if anyone happens to have some bad-good, or good-bad photos I'd like to see what the game thought and what you thought.

Doom Goon posted:

You can throw apples to trigger events, though maybe that was a little thin (I don't think I ever got a Special score?).

Giggs posted:

throwing apples and taking some pictures and never ever getting any Special points. [...] The blurbs that are generated per picture are nice, though they repeat quite often.
We ended up rolling a couple other categories together, "pose" ended up becoming the baseline catch-all. The content workflow was and ad-hoc, as jams tend to go; so I'm looking to make the whole process of animating creatures, diversifying their descriptions, and setting up events for them a little more streamlined. Trying to use the new timelines in Unity was a pretty big gamble but it did pay off, even if it did impose some limits that needed to be designed around.

Doom Goon posted:

I'm sure I'm not the only one that's wanted a Pokemon Snap-like game for years, so give it a shot!

Giggs posted:

Whereas the judges were saying it rekindled their interest in a new Pokemon Snap, it rekindled my interest in watching the entire series of KiTH yet again.
I am very glad that our submission has made people realize that they would like a brand new game that has the gameplay of Pokemon Snap. It'll be hard to play it though, with a flat head.

Giggs posted:

The twitch chat integration during the stream was great, it made it real silly and funny and it was cool. That doesnít exist for non-streamers though, so itís a bit dry when youíre on your own.
I agree it can be a bit dry, balancing the player movement speed and time that certain scenes remained visible and pacing them all out was one of the biggest challenges Bungalo had, especially with balancing comedic timing for certain events. I think worked out, even if it means players fast-forward a little more than I'd like them to. Fortunately the lighting and the soundscapes for the scenes make it a little more relaxing and interesting to re-explore. Originally I missed a lot of things in each level even with multiple plays.

Something that nobody has appeared to pick up on was the Spawn Photos option, that allows you to be your own distraction by spawning a Oglioroid Snaptograph every time you take a picture. It even gives you some insight as to the quality of your photo as soon as you take it, which you might use to infer more about the scoring system.

Hopefully I'll get to cover more of what I touched on here succinctly on Friday's Jamflix & Chill and then all the rest will go up as a postmortem after the judging has completed.

• Locked thread