Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
  • Locked thread
SystemLogoff
Feb 19, 2011

End Session?

http://www.awfuljams.com/winter-2018/games/y2kthulhu

Y2Kthulhu

Jam Page - Download

I should be asleep, but I'm still energetic from finally finishing. I hope people enjoy my game, and I'm looking forward to playing everyone else's games as well.

♥️ Xibanya for awesome voices.
♥️ Willfor for awesome music.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SystemLogoff
Feb 19, 2011

End Session?

So, here are my thank yous to the people who have played. (Let me know if I missed someone!)

Myron posted:

Y2Kthulu
This would really benefit from being a little longer, obviously. There's the groundwork for a decent JRPG-style battle system, but the game ends just when you start having to get a little tactical. There are more special attacks than total encounters, I think. I did only play through once and immediately chose the "right" path (if that's how the endgame actually works), so I probably haven't seen everything. The special attacks are interesting in theory, though there's little reason to not choose high damage spells most of the time. Naturally, this is your typical jam-game criticism, and the battle system would improve a lot in a more fleshed out game with more diverse enemies.
I really learned this Jam that I'm really slow at writing, and really great at making typos. I left the battle system in a broken state up until almost the very end. I was trying to balance making the game fast w/ battles so it ended up being less tactical than I wanted. JRPGs are not something I'll likely repeat for a jam. (Unless I break out RPG Maker again.)

I wanted the writing to be fun and light. It's not a serious story, it's a computer janitor rolling with the punches and just dealing with a problem. Like any other day.

Fun fact, there was Paper Mario timed hits planned that would boost your special faster! (This was cut in the final).

whatPanache posted:

Y2Kthulu

So polished both in presentation and game feel, really nice job. Sweet voice acting. I liked the battle system, but I think it could have done with a touch more depth. Most of the fights it felt like you didn't have to plan super hard, and I never died (I think). I was also disappointed by the last boss. I was gearing up for an epic final battle where I would have to use all the items, but then you just win in one hit with the special item you get and it's suddenly over. I'm guessing this may have been a time constraint? In a sense it felt just like a JRPG in that the team ran out of time at the end.
I'll have more later probably.

So, Cthuluhu's book ended up being in the game, because a friend got to the last boss without BLOCK WALL or PIZZA. He really does say use it if you get stuck.

A lot of the specials were not quite balanced, and the path you follow can easily allow you to miss key items that really are needed since you don't level up.

The fights are really only the start of a JRPG, you know light simple enemies to get your feet wet. They really never got much detail other than cool effects.

Doom Goon posted:

Y2Kthulu
A short, strange RPG about Y2K made in Love! It's very simple, but pretty neat. And weirdly cozy! A lot of the graphics look oddly appealing and I kind of dig the weird cyberspace thing going on. There's a ton of attacks you can find and the occassional joke object to click on. It's not Persona level but it kind of seems like it maybe was going to go in that direction? I really want to read a postmortem about this one because I think I missed a lot! Oh, there's also an Easter egg involving Xibanya, and I totally didn't find it by looking through the nicely written source code, nope!

I'm glad you found it cozy. The mother/earthbound series is partly where my heart lives and what my writing shows. I like writing happy stories. I wanted the attacks to feel fun, and I wanted to have some laughs at the weird world. Sort of cosmic humor instead of horror.

It was also an excuse to play with shaders and timing.

Also, my code, nicely written? Uh. Well, some of it, I guess?

I really do need to write a full postmortem, I feel like I learned a lot.

Thank you all so much for playing and writing about my game. Thank you for your thoughts, they mean a lot.

SystemLogoff
Feb 19, 2011

End Session?

Y2Kthulhu V1.1 (After Gong Show) Update:

+ Specials Have Been Updated
++ Each special describes what it does properly now.
++ Block Wall is no longer permanent immortality. It will wear off randomly.
++ Fairy Tale does 10 Damage to Monster and Player now. It's no longer an instant win.
++ Infinite Space no longer gives you infinite BP, it will now give you a random value between 1-12.

+ Level Up
++ The player will level up and gain 5HP per level now.

+ Text has been updated
++ Fixing typos, that's about it.

+ Audio Updated
++ Made the special attack clips normalized in volume, so it's not randomly super quiet at points.

Download Update Here. Old saves still work.

SystemLogoff
Feb 19, 2011

End Session?

Y2Kthulhu 1.2 Update
Updated: New graphics! There is more than one enemy type now! More readability! More meaty special attack sounds!

Download

Edit: And if anyone wants to see them, here is the 'HD' Renders for each room.

SystemLogoff fucked around with this message at Jan 31, 2018 around 04:17

SystemLogoff
Feb 19, 2011

End Session?

Y2Kthulhu 1.3 Update
Updated: Turned off debug mode.

Download

• Locked thread