Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jo
Jan 24, 2005

:allears:
Soiled Meat
It's the most wonderful time of the year.

I've always had a wonderful time working on these. I'm totally hyped.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jo
Jan 24, 2005

Soiled Meat
I'm considering making something in Godot this year. (Even though that didn't work out so awesome last time.) If anyone's working on the 3.0 beta branch and building from source I'd be happy to burn alive with you. :getin: :unsmigghh: :shepicide:

Jo
Jan 24, 2005

Soiled Meat
I think I'm going to be making Presidential Debate Simulator 2016, which is way more up my alley than the stuff I had before. Maybe that will change after I've had a full night's sleep and a cup of covfefe.

Jo
Jan 24, 2005

Soiled Meat

Scut posted:

If you are looking for a pixel artist please get in touch with me. Animation is not my strong suit but I can make stuff move if you are willing to accept less detail in the sprites.

Messaged you on Twitter.

Jo
Jan 24, 2005

Soiled Meat
Stole a bunch of art from the internet as placeholders. I like 'em and wish I could keep 'em.

I had to use libGDX instead of Godot because the language processing involved in scoring is actually way better suited for Kotlin than GDScript. :(

Jo fucked around with this message at 20:13 on Jan 6, 2018

Jo
Jan 24, 2005

Soiled Meat
An entire week has gone by and I've got nearly nothing done for gameplay, but I've at least finished WRITING the NLP model.

It has also reminded me how much I hate working with Twitter data.

Jo
Jan 24, 2005

Soiled Meat
I had just started to run clustering on all the speeches from former US presidents when I realized that being that serious for an AwfulJam would be like splicing a segment of The Human Centipede into the middle of Paul Blart: Mall Cop. I've pulled out the serious political bits and replaced them with more interesting demographics like, "People who think Adam West was the best Batman," and "People who walk slowly and take up the whole sidewalk."

I've also replaced the questions with stupid ideas I got from the /r/shittyaskscience subreddit and converted them to proctor questions.

I still have a ton of art to do.

Jo
Jan 24, 2005

Soiled Meat
Spent the morning adding the speech timer, integrating the demographic scoring, and adding player feedback.

https://twitter.com/JCatrambone/status/952279664071868417

Spent the evening getting the end-of-game election screen drawing. Nihilos had a great idea to solve my problem. I need to draw each state with the election results, but I don't want to hand localize fifty loving sprites, and making each state an island in a vast zero-alpha picture will righteously gently caress my atlas. However, storing a map of grey values and using that as a lookup in a shader...

Jo
Jan 24, 2005

Soiled Meat

ShredsYouSay posted:

It was actually ApproachingInfinity who came up with the solution, but I'm happy to take the credit.

Ah! Indeed you're right. Sorry ApproachingInfinity. Though you said, "Crazy shader solution," just before that.

EDIT: Also, who made the MS Paint Jerry Seinfeld and can I steal him? (EDIT EDIT: Was made by Afal. PM'd.)

EDIT: A playable build, except most of the buttons will crash the game on the title page. :( https://www.josephcatrambone.com/games/debatesimulator/debatesimulator.jar

Jo fucked around with this message at 01:15 on Jan 15, 2018

Jo
Jan 24, 2005

Soiled Meat
:woop: Scut is doing art for Hillary, Trump, and the proctor. Last night with my last bits of energy I build the endgame score tallying. I'm probably should put the electoral college in, along with the number of electoral votes, but I'm really loving tired of retyping all fifty states.

Jo
Jan 24, 2005

Soiled Meat
I managed to nail the scope but ended up making a complete turd. :downs:. Time to shine this fucker.

Jo
Jan 24, 2005

Soiled Meat

Scut posted:

gently caress you Jo for making me spend my weekend drawing homages to HellWorld

gently caress you, too, for making me think you'd ghosted on me after a week. <3

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jo
Jan 24, 2005

Soiled Meat
PANIC! PANIC PANIC PANIC!

Scud: The images look fuckin' great.

Runnable Jar here: https://www.josephcatrambone.com/games/debatesimulator/debatesimulator.jar

Fixed the few seriously game breaking bugs. It plays like poo poo, but it works!

Jo fucked around with this message at 01:42 on Jan 22, 2018

• Locked thread