Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
  • Locked thread
Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

Sorry, the name "Someone Call 911 I Am Being Held Hostage" is already in use. Please choose another.

Sorry, the name "Someone Call 911 I Am Being Held Hostage2" is already in

Itís already that time again? Christ, time flies. Iím in for sure! Hopefully it ends up more SUPER MEGA 256-IN-1 and less Netflix and Chill Man. Iíll most likely be making it in Fusion 2.5 again with the same artist, but weíll see.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

Sorry, the name "Someone Call 911 I Am Being Held Hostage" is already in use. Please choose another.

Still brainstorming. I want to make something that's unique gameplay-wise but still deliver my usual brand of absurdism. As far as premises for games go, I've got a couple that I've been kicking around.

Goons, please tell me which of the following you would be more interested in seeing: The Magic School Bus Fucks Up History (Ms. Frizzle's students get lost in time and mess up history by conquering feudal Japan/preventing 9-11/starting a major religion and you have to fix things), a game where you play as time police and have to "correct" a weird made up version of history by preventing things that happened in real life, or American History X (a sci-fi reimagining of US history. i bet nobody's ever used this name for anything else)?

Oh, I also had an idea for an Animal Crossing style game with dead historical figures instead of animals but I'd need a programmer and modeler for that... And probably more than just 2 weeks.

Hitlersaurus Christ fucked around with this message at Jan 7, 2018 around 06:15

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

TomR posted:

Loving that Olmec head.

Hitlersaurus Christ get in the discord.

I really should download discord, huh... Not sure how many people are on when Iím generally free though due to my time zone.

Iíve narrowed my choices down to:

- The Magic School Bus Fucks Up, an adventure game where you have to fix history by preventing students that were lost in time after a bus accident from stuff like conquering countries, becoming religious figures and stopping terrorist attacks. Examples would be talking Arnold out of killing Hitler and helping Oda Nobunaga defeat wandering samurai Carlos and conquer feudal Japan.
I entered SAGDC about 5 years ago in the last 60 or so hours and pumped out the very beginnings of a shmup called The Magic School Bus Surfs The Deep Web, and while it consisted of about a level and a half and some cutscenes in between levels I was kinda proud of the writing and have always wanted an excuse to either remake it or make something else in that twisted version of the MSB universe.

- Historicats, a game where you have to make lazy cats dressed like historical figures act out historical events by placing things like toys or food or vacuum cleaners. Possible ideas for Historicats include getting Jesus Cat who is scared of water to cross it in order to get Mewcified on a cross shaped scratching post (no violence of course, just getting tied with some yarn), and getting a cat to bat a huge ball of yarn at a bunch of toy dinosaurs to knock them over to cause an extinction.The major problem with this game would be the amount of work compared to the amount of time Iíd have available, since I work full time now as opposed to last yearís winter jam.

- 90 Second History, a game made up of 10 second mini games based on events throughout Earthís history. Instead of having any sort of fail state, the next games would have changes reflecting the outcome of the previous ones ó I.E. humans being replaced by dino-people if the T-Rex you controlled in the first minigame managed to avoid all the meteorites. The game would end by showing you your timelineís 2018. Iíve made a tiny prototype of it but the amount of work required to make every combination of decisions count would probably be more than Iíd bargain for.

Iíve got prototype pictures for the latter two, Iíll post them when Iím not on mobile.

Bonus dialogue I wrote for a mock-up I sent my artist of American History X, which Iíve decided against making:

ďSquanto, the navigator helping cyborg Lincoln on his adventuresĒ posted:

This is bad... Saddam Hussein has sent Viet Kong samurai to hijack Harriet Tubmanís underground hyper-rail! If they convert that thing into airplane mode, they could carry out a 9/11... maybe even 2!
Yeah... turned out to be a bit of a stinker.

Hitlersaurus Christ fucked around with this message at Jan 11, 2018 around 08:44

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

JonTerp posted:

I've been meaning to tell you this but since you're never in Discord it keeps slipping my mind.

After Vinesauce played your game we had horn-balls emailing the Awful Jams support address for weeks asking where they could get the full version of "Goddess Breasters" from Super Mega 256-in-1. Some even joined the Discord demanding it.

Do with that what you will. Vinesauce is going to be playing the games again this year, but man did slightly teasing a ero game bring out the weirdos.

Wait, Vinesauce played the summer jam games? Wait, he played MY lovely game?!
Sorry I unintentionally unleashed a wave of internet perverts. I came up with the name first as a parody of those shameless anime boob games like Senran Kagura then decided it'd make more sense as a PC Engine game for my game. Like the Game Ball one and the panda one it was just meant to gently caress with the player, which it apparently did. I just let my artist do whatever for the art but maybe she should have made something less... titillating, I guess?

I've all but decided to make Historicats, but if people like a different idea I'll switch over to that. Here's some lovely prototype gifs:

90 Second History:
If you don't go extinct, the next game reflects that.

Historicats:
No history yet but the (placeholder) cat does sleep, eat, and poop.

Any opinions?

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

Due to popular demand, Iíll be making 60 Second History! (Making over 200 mini games was a bit too much for me.) However, I was kinda fond of the Historicats idea so I hope youíll enjoy the timeline where normal house cats have become the dominant species. Iíll be using a mic of art styles, combining Zombieforcandyís usual art with my lovely placeholder art that Iíve become attached to.

JonTerp posted:

Nah it was actually hilarious to watch. If anything you should lean more into the stuff you did in Super Mega. It was a hit on stream, Vinny ended up playing the entire thing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ai-Zhdz3e2k#t=6172s

Ok this was pretty rad. maybe I should try and get him to play my other games

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

Four games down, up to 60ish to go. What's that? No, YOU bit off more than you can chew!

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

As usual Iím doing most of the work now, less than a day before the jam ends, though this time at least itís not by due to procrastination. Mostly. Kinda.
Still waiting on art and music, too. At least I can say Iíve made a minigame about an obese lizardman selling bitcoin!

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

I was trying to keep positive after a week of rough IRL stuff, but between my terrible scheduling ability, our sound guy not having his stuff done in time and our artist having to do most of the art hours before the deadline... well, finishing everything on time just wasnít going to happen. That said, the build of 60 Second History that I submitted is entirely playable, but the variety of timelines is tiny and the endings are missing. Most of the minigames were there but not in a presentable state, so I cut them out. Since Iíve got the art assets now (as well as hopefully the songs later tonight) Iím gonna release the complete version as the public build in the next day or two.

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

60 Second History's public build will be up within the next 24 hours. I'll be posting the incomplete version that I did to meet the deadline "demo" version as well as the completed thing, so you can choose how you evaluate me. What fun!

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

The public build of 60 Second History is officially up!
I wasn't happy with the unfinished version I submitted for the jam, so I decided to hold out on posting a public link until I had a build I was happy with.

The final version has twice as many minigames, as well as many endings. Can you view them all and unlock Ultimate Bonus Mode?
Here's some screenshots to give you an idea of what to expect:

There's a couple more screenshots at the game page.

Download the full version here

Or download the incomplete jam version here if you absolutely must

Doom Goon posted:

60 Second History by SEXY LOCAL TEAM IN YOUR AREA
No public build (yet?). Surprised at that, seemed pretty fun when I went back to the Gong Show! I was rooting for a honeybee timeline personally. Did seem like it would've benefited greatly from some variant closure but what was there looked good!

No honeybee timeline unfortunately (though I considered something similar), but there is a small reference to another old game of mine in there!

Hitlersaurus Christ fucked around with this message at Jan 31, 2018 around 11:16

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

Vinesauce streamed the winning games and a few honorable mentions (including mine for some reason?). Hereís a link: https://youtu.be/4flbxXF9AAA
The ending when you lose the Hilary milleniometer minigame was just supposed to be a joke that following what happened IRL gets you a bad ending but it seems Iíve triggered some alt right people in the comments section. Oh no.

Doom Goon posted:

Very nice! I couldn't quite reach 13 endings (thought I figured it out on the Columbus stage but no go), but it was fun! Wish I didn't spoil it from the judge's stream but I figured I better check it out while I had the time.

Giggs posted:

It pains me to say but I couldnít find two of the endings. I have to assume that the game doesnít save, which means Iíll probably never go back to find the two I missed because I played this game for around forty minutes and still couldnít get Ďem. I played through it and found 7 unique endings which I determined by taking screenshots of each upon completion. Then I thought ďOh, thereís no way in hell Iím going to be able to keep trackĒ and instead drew a very neat and tidy tree of outcomes and endings. [b]Just-about-all-the-spoilers in this image, but I want to show that I really gave it a shot, and that Iím very organized and think ahead when drawing.
Man, 40 minutes?! Now I feel bad. I gotta come clean about the endings, guys: There are only 12 and there is no ultimate bonus mode. The game actually doesnít even keep track of which endings you get, it just restarts the application. Itís a joke at the expense of the user that I added after finding out about the people who kept trying to unlock Goddess Breasters GX in the last game I made, as well as that vinesauce was going to stream these games. In the end he didnít end up trying to unlock everything though...

The ending you missed was the bugs not finding the goat god. The text isnít that different from if you do find it, so itís not really worth going back and doing it.

Also your tree looks like the notebook page I used to plan out the games, which if found by somebody normal would probably lead them to believe I was a serial killer.

quote:

The use of theme is really good. Branching stories/paths are not only a huge hassle because of the exponential growth, but also because of the expectations of decisions to have unique outcomes. This game does quite well to deal with that problem. Some outcomes of some minigames lead to the same game or ending, but it doesnít feel cheap. Sometimes thereís even minor variety that feels earned and sensible. Teclado. There is, I believe, one path that locks you into a specific and unique ending from like, minigame 3? It involves blood. I think once you hit that you canít get off that route, which Iím only mildly bummed about.
Yeah, I didnít want to spend too much more time on it so I made some of the timelines linear. My original plan had 63 endings and it just wasnít realistic for the time I wanted to spend, let alone the time limit of the jam.

Anyway Iím gonna upload a version with a couple of bug fixes and balance adjustments and WASD as the default controls. Later on I want to come back to the game though, if even just to replace some of the goonier humor like the Bush 9/11 part so I can actually put it in my portfolio.

Hitlersaurus Christ fucked around with this message at Feb 7, 2018 around 12:21

• Locked thread