Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
  • Locked thread
Dieting Hippo
Jan 5, 2006

THIS IS NOT A PROPER DIET FOR A HIPPO

i'm definitely going to enter this time around, but with the smaller timeframe i'm hoping to score an artist or music maker who will join me in glorious victory or shame. if you're interested (and preferably are the same PST timezone as me) shoot me a message here or on the Awful Jams discord!

also here's my previous submission to Awful Summer Jam 2017, Missile Champions

Dieting Hippo fucked around with this message at Dec 21, 2017 around 00:27

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dieting Hippo
Jan 5, 2006

a long time ago, some monks that were high on whatever weeds they found on the monastery grounds would draw weird pictures in their manuscripts.

this also included knights fighting and losing to snails due to the knights eating the same weeds.

so to fit this truly weird history theme, i introduce you to Snail Knight:

this little guy is just trying to get his much on with some delicious leaves, but friggin' knights won't leave him alone. i'm going to be brainstorming more tonight, but hopefully i can flesh this out more in the next two weeks.

Dieting Hippo
Jan 5, 2006

after spending a good weekend struggling to get box2d bodies to display right on screen and learning how to get those coords to translate to SDL coords, i finally got stuff to draw at the right proportions!

https://twitter.com/dietinghippo/st...258327937667073

hooray, physics!

Dieting Hippo
Jan 5, 2006

day 4 progress: a proper camera system is now implemented, and i've started working on the snail's movement. i feel like i might be playing around too much with the controls to make them feel right, but it's leading me to cool ideas like having him crawl around on walls and ceilings.

https://twitter.com/dietinghippo/st...672218853335040

Dieting Hippo
Jan 5, 2006

i had way too much tech debt for snail knight, so instead i'm making a game about selling wares to east and west berliners right after the fall of the berlin wall. have an intro video!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aJ0YQUApyuI

it's gonna be like Lemonade Stand, except you gear your sales towards whether more east or west berliners will be coming by your stall. you start each day buying perishables (food, newspapers) and seeing the weather forecast/events happening that day. after the day is over, you can then buy non-perishable "legit" goods from a dude's trunk before the next day starts.

also i started on this two days ago, so i'm essentially making a brand new game in one week. wish me luck

Dieting Hippo fucked around with this message at Jan 17, 2018 around 09:29

Dieting Hippo
Jan 5, 2006

Myron posted:

That's too bad, snail knight looked fun. I'm loving the Apple II gs font though.

i feel like i'm not the first person to look at box2d and think "that'll be easy to implement, what can go wrong" because that's precisely what happened. i got up to a level builder, the snail started getting stuck on overlapping statics when the logic was sound, and progress kinda' halted. thankfully i put everything i did on GitHub and tend to have a weird process where each time i start over my base code gets better, so one day i'll go back and see if i can give that snail some justice.

i only wish i had learned my lesson about a few days in, because there was also no way i was getting art and sound done in time.

Dieting Hippo
Jan 5, 2006

Try Something New is done and submitted

Grab it over here on itch.io!

Dieting Hippo
Jan 5, 2006

responses to feedback

Myron posted:

Try Something New
Love the aesthetics. There's not a lot of art, but what is there looks right. The buying animation is cute and the music fits nicely. Most of the time I found it easy to figure out why I was or wasn't selling well, so that's good. I didn't get far in so I don't know if there's more content from what you see the first week or so. I played it four times, two times I accidentally pressed ESC and ended the game, one time it crashed and on my best attempt I bet everything on the popularity of the Hoff and was sorely dissappointed when I only sold half my stuff.

i'm glad you got a hang of what to sell, and and thanks for the kind words on the style! when i do eventually get a v1.1 out it'll have an escape guard that'll ask if you really want to quit when you hit escape. i did it to myself too during testing a few times. as far as late game, that's unfortunately something that i couldn't get in on time. also, can you PM me (on here or Discord) with where you remember it crashing? it happened to one person during testing and didn't happen again after that, so i want to get that nipped in the bud.

Doom Goon posted:

Tear down this wall, and build up this Lemonade Stand! I was heartbroken to hear about Snail Knight having to be scrapped so late in the game I did have some issues with this one (UI, mostly in having to type things every time. Also, I think you understated how bad rain was even during events!) but I don't want to focus on that because there's just no point in it. Honestly there's little point in it regularly, anyway. So the positives: weirdly satisfying low-res graphics. Funky "99 Red Balloons" chiptune cover that I'm positive will come back into my head as soon as I try to go to bed. I got to name a shop "IchBinEinPfannkuchen," which made me giggle. You also had a very nice Post Mortem, just like last time!

one day the snail will get his due. just not with a time constraint

i am weirdly proud of how cumbersome the UI is. even when i was testing i found it annoying, which completely meshed with the bad alphabet-based menu selection of apple II games. i think i might try to save what was entered the previous day for sale prices if you rebuy any of the same items, that would ease some pain. glad you liked the music! i always have a blast toying around in famitracker making tracks and this was a fun game to experiment with. also my favorite test name to use during development was The Butt Hutt.

Dieting Hippo
Jan 5, 2006

More feedback feedback!

Giggs posted:

Try Something New
I know youíre already aware of the issue Iím about to raise, but Iím one of those people that instinctively hits escape constantly, so I kept jumping out of the buy screen to the main menu over and over again. I should have learned by the fifth or sixth time, but I didnít. Ah well. I waited to write this until you posted your post-mortem, it was a good read.

The music is really nice. It feels appropriate and fits well, including the 99 Balloons cover. Itís ludicrous to me that anyone would not be so depressed by having to change the game youíre making for the jam halfway through as to just give up entirely. Itís really cool that you managed to put something together and that it doesnít feel really shallow. I wasnít aware of Lemonade Stand until relatively recently when Giant Bomb did their video about educational games. This is a really nice, simple homage with a neat twist to nicely conform to the theme.

The Apple II look is really nice. My keyboard sounds old so I was kinda thrilled to have the opportunity to emulate the Apple II experience in that way. Itís satisfying what with click clacking. I understand the lack of an ending both in terms of theme and also because I refuse to believe youíd have enough time on top of making a new game from scratch effectively, but a definite end goal I think gives a much better sense of drive or determination to reach it. The game I played today was by far my worst attempt where I was nearly bankrupt after 8 days because of my poor choices, but sometimes you get on a roll and it doesnít feel like thereís too much to keep you going. Itís a minor complaint.

The biggest problem with this game is that I used up my only good joke name for a store while playtesting before submission. It was ďNOT POTATO BUT STILL OKĒ. It wasnít even that good. Picture is my second best effort, unfortunately. Seriously, if I were in your position I probably would have given up because Iím a baby. Nicely done, Hippo!

It's nice to know that I can at least change course if needed, but the amount of effort that was needed for completely starting over is dissauading me from trying that again. I'll probably just eat the wall next time. Also thanks a hella lot for helping to test out my game shortly before the deadline! I agree that there should be some goal to work to, but other than a static amount I couldn't get much in unless I got in events. That's planned for post-jam work now!

RIP "NOT POTATO BUT STILL OK".

whatPanache posted:

Try Something New

I loved the aesthetic (retro!) and navigation (dungeon crawl or dwarf fortress style!) and concept (I love selling poo poo!) and music (that sales theme is on point. sounds like an old rock song but I can't put my finger on it), but skimming the thread I think I have the same main complaint as other people mentioned. I was pressing Esc to get back to the store menu and exiting the game over and over. I did this like three times before I was sad about my lost progress and quit. Too many years of Dwarf Fortress, I think.

Thanks for the style/music compliments! I feel a lot of people's pains about pressing escape and have done that too many times to myself while testing it. I don't know why it didn't occur to me that other people would too.

Good thing I finished working on Try Something New v1.1, removing that nasty crash I couldn't fix in time for the jam and escape guards so pressing escape will need a prompt. Tooling on a post-jam game is nice, I can do things I wanted at my own leisure and get in feedback. I can't use it as my main submission, but it's still useful for learning things from until the next jam.

Try Something New v1.1

Dieting Hippo fucked around with this message at Jan 27, 2018 around 06:01

Dieting Hippo
Jan 5, 2006

Jamflix and Chill is going to return next week!

What: Jamflix and Chill is an hour-long stream where we being jam participants on to chill and chat about their game. It's fun, laid back, and pretty informative!

When: 5 PM to 6 PM PST (8 EST) Tuesday - Friday

Where: It'll stream live to Twitch at http://twitch.tv/dietinghippo and VODs (with some editing) will be on YouTube shortly after.

Who: Xibanya and I will co-host the stream along with 8-12 teams/individuals.

Like the first iteration of Jamflix and Chill for Awful Summer Jam 2017, I'm looking for eight teams (or individuals on those teams) to fill eight half-hour time slots. They'll be first-come first-serve, PM me here or on Discord with what time slot you're available for. If the initial eight fill up, I'll ask for four more people to take up an extra third slot at 6:00 PM.

Time Slots:
Tuesday, Jan 30th @ 5:00 PM PST with Ultigonio, "Unearth"
Tuesday, Jan 30th @ 5:30 PM PST with TomR, "Night of the Surfing Dead"
Tuesday, Jan 30th @ 6:00 PM PST with whatPanache, "Unidentified Falling Objects"
Wednesday, Jan 31st @ 5:00 PM PST with Raujinn, "Oh Darn The Time Machine We Stole Has Gone Haywire"
Wednesday, Jan 31st @ 5:30 PM PST with alligator, "Molasses!"
Wednesday, Jan 31st @ 6:00 PM PST
Thursday, Feb 1st @ 5:00 PM PST with Nihiloss, "1937"
Thursday, Feb 1st @ 5:30 PM PST with megane, "A Machine to End War"
Thursday, Feb 1st @ 6:00 PM PST
Friday, Feb 2nd @ 5:00 PM PST with SysL, "Y2Kthulhu"
Friday, Feb 2nd @ 5:30 PM PST with Giggs, "The Purging of Darkstorm Cave"
Friday, Feb 2nd @ 6:00 PM PST with EntranceJew/Gunzil, "Oligocene Snapshot"

I'm lookin' forward to just chilling for an hour and chattin' about your games, so sign up soon!

Edit: All 5/5:30 slots filled! There two 6'ers left for anyone else that wants to come on.

Dieting Hippo fucked around with this message at Jan 30, 2018 around 01:32

Dieting Hippo
Jan 5, 2006

Thanks to everyone for coming on today! The VOD for today's Jamflix and Chill is up for viewing on Twitch, I'll have a YouTube link later when it's done processing.

Twitch VOD: https://www.twitch.tv/videos/224170806

The next stream is tomorrow at 5 PST with Raujinn and alligator, come check it out!

Edit: YouTube VOD is up

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BF3UurGkWN0

Dieting Hippo fucked around with this message at Jan 31, 2018 around 07:23

Dieting Hippo
Jan 5, 2006

Jamflix and Chill is going live soon, come watch us chat!

https://twitter.com/dietinghippo/st...864916642803712

Edit: Show's over! Thanks to Xibanya, Raujinn, and alligator for all coming on. We'll be back on tomorrow with Nihiloss and the Wardenclyffe Laboratory Technicians!

Twitch VOD: https://www.twitch.tv/dietinghippo/.../edit/224469008

Youtube VOD:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z8l9kxojRxI

Dieting Hippo fucked around with this message at Feb 1, 2018 around 03:17

Dieting Hippo
Jan 5, 2006

The next Jamflix and Chill with 1937 (Nihiloss, Xibanya, Mihai Zetta) and A Machine to End War (megane, taqueso, MShadowy) is starting in 15 minutes, come check it out!

https://twitter.com/dietinghippo/st...221387419295744

Thanks everyone for coming on! The last show is tomorrow, and we've got three games this time! If you missed today's the VODs are below for your perusing pleasure:

Twitch VOD: https://www.twitch.tv/videos/224801630

YouTube VOD:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=phbEKJVP8GM

Dieting Hippo fucked around with this message at Feb 2, 2018 around 02:48

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dieting Hippo
Jan 5, 2006

The last Jamflix and Chill for Awful Winter Jam 2018 is tonight, and on in about 20 minutes! Come check out Y2Kthulhu (SystemLogoff, Xibanya), The Purging of Darkstorm Cave By ____ (Giggs), and Oligocene Snapshot (EntranceJew, Gunzil).

https://twitter.com/dietinghippo/st...584293239443456

Edit: It's over! Thank you to everyone who came on this week, playing and chattin' about your games is always hella' fun. Extra bonus mad props shoutout to Xibanya who is the best drat co-host with smart questions that also isn't distracted by playing a game live I'm super excited to run this again for the next Awful Jam that pops up!

Twitch VOD: https://www.twitch.tv/videos/225147130

Youtube VOD:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_hPQLM7Xn7E

Dieting Hippo fucked around with this message at Feb 3, 2018 around 03:34

• Locked thread