Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

"Most plans are critically flawed by their own logic. A failure at any step will ruin everything after it. That's just basic cause and effect. It's easy for a good plan to fall apart. Therefore, a plan that has no attachment to logic cannot be stopped."

Dr. Snark posted:

Maybe "Kryptonite?"

There might be a bit of a conflict there, given that Heroman was created by Stan Lee.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Snark
Oct 15, 2012

I'M SORRY, OK!? I admit I've made some mistakes, and Jones has clearly paid for them.
But ma'am! Jones' only crime was looking at the wrong files!
I beg of you, don't ship away Jones, he has a wife and kids!

-United Nations Intelligence Service

EclecticTastes posted:

There might be a bit of a conflict there, given that Heroman was created by Stan Lee.

Since when would that stop the Japanese :v:

(Though I do see your point)

TheMajinZenki
Aug 17, 2005

So, I heard this new pilot is called Agnes?

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Have tearful reunion with your son
-->Eh
Fun Shoe

EclecticTastes posted:

Also looking forward to whatever goofy name serves as the default for this game's team (like the Z Emergency Union of Terrestrial Humans from Z).

I'm pretty sure they're already called Unknown Xtrikers.

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

"Most plans are critically flawed by their own logic. A failure at any step will ruin everything after it. That's just basic cause and effect. It's easy for a good plan to fall apart. Therefore, a plan that has no attachment to logic cannot be stopped."

Alacron posted:

I'm pretty sure they're already called Unknown Xtrikers.

Oh, poo poo, yeah, I totally missed that. That's... yeah, that's pretty great. I love Super Robot Wars.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
"Puny Earthlings! We are the rulers of the unive-is that a proton beam larger than I am :stare:"

"Don't worry, we have BALL!"

"...Praise my swift and painless death."

Ace of Aces
Feb 25, 2017

ZENRYOKU ZENKAI
>Take it out and we’ll get a Psy’s Skateboard which is a consumable Skill Part (+10 to evasion and melee, +5 to ranged).

Is that like parameter up parts in V, or is this "use on the battlefield to get stats for a map"?

Brunom1
Sep 5, 2011

Ask me about being the best dad ever.

Ace of Aces posted:

>Take it out and we’ll get a Psy’s Skateboard which is a consumable Skill Part (+10 to evasion and melee, +5 to ranged).

Is that like parameter up parts in V, or is this "use on the battlefield to get stats for a map"?

Permanent stat ups like in V.

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

Now I'm imagining the unit that uses it getting to do sweet kickflips and ollies on their robot-sized skateboard.

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Eh
Fun Shoe
Personally I was imagining a Gundam trying to use a human-sized skateboard.

Brunom1
Sep 5, 2011

Ask me about being the best dad ever.

Alacron posted:

Personally I was imagining a Gundam trying to use a human-sized skateboard.

Well, the SD Gundams are about human-sized.

Someone call Cao Cao, we've his new ride into battle!

Ace of Aces
Feb 25, 2017

ZENRYOKU ZENKAI

EclecticTastes posted:

Now I'm imagining the unit that uses it getting to do sweet kickflips and ollies on their robot-sized skateboard.

Reminder that G Gundam is amazing.

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

Ace of Aces posted:

Reminder that G Gundam is amazing.

I think Gundam Maxter's hoverboard is more of a surfboard than skateboard, which of course means that in theory, Chibodee Crockett could hang with the Eureka 7 crew and now I want that to be in the next SRW after X.

Ace of Aces
Feb 25, 2017

ZENRYOKU ZENKAI

EclecticTastes posted:

I think Gundam Maxter's hoverboard is more of a surfboard than skateboard, which of course means that in theory, Chibodee Crockett could hang with the Eureka 7 crew and now I want that to be in the next SRW after X.

Eurgh, no thank you. I had my fill of E7 in Z and Z2. Especially Z2.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Ace of Aces posted:

Oh no it was in two games. Plus, those were two separate universes and sets of characters.

At least it's not Zambot and Daitarn constantly for no reason.

Ace of Aces
Feb 25, 2017

ZENRYOKU ZENKAI
It has more to do with how much forced deploy they have and how frustrating their secrets are, which is why I don't mind Daitarn and Zambot so much (they're rarely forced deploys unless the plot is involved, which it is in Z so whatever). It's like saying "water stages" to anyone who played OG1.

Also this is more of me having a whinge but Eureka has much better stats and spells than Renton and a better cut-in and you lose her almost immediately because mech series require male pilots in the lead mech. That being said, the Devilfish's finishers in Z2 do look amazing.

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Eh
Fun Shoe

Ace of Aces posted:

What's the matter? Wasn't Nirvash constantly making "MOKYUUN"s endearing enough for you? :v:

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Brunom1 posted:

Nick’s up for it, though: he and Will might get famous! Maybe, but what Will wants isn’t fame: “I’ll be the hero around here! Just you watch, Psy, Joey…!)

quote:

While there are still tons of thins Denton has yet to understand about the Skrugg, that doesn’t mean he hasn’t already figured a few things out.

quote:

Again, not a difficult mission as the Skugg mooks remain middling and our guys are good all around – there’s just more stuff for us to kill over a wider area.

quote:

Predict (見切り) – 10% to hi, dodge and crit rates over 130 morale.

Small mistakes here. Also this line...

quote:

Back in Center City, Richard’s gotten in touch with Sumeragi to report about Heroman. The bot’s pretty powerful, and it’s clear they can simply ignore it – in fact, Richard would like to let the army handle the aliens, while they focus on investigating it.

...shouldn't it be "can't simply ignore it"?

quote:

: “Joseph Carter Jones”… and I bet everyone calls you Jojo!

Beyond that (which I had to point out in the form of that image)...I sure did not picture Richard's hair correctly. The small talking box sprite just made me think he had short, grey hair, not that long hair that still shows what I guess was his hair colour before growing old. That's...that's not good-looking, but I guess it's about as awful as Irm's mullet.

And every chapter just makes me more sure Jin's ending up evil, dead or both. Now he's shown extreme arrogance, put his desires of advance over saving people (while pretending he cared about people), and Graham sees him as his younger self, which isn't good, because he'll end up evil, dead and with a gigantic crush on Gundams.

Talking about Graham, always nice to see Mr. Bushido in action and it's neat that you get him so early. I'm going to take a wild guess here and say his survival is a secret too considering this is A Wakening of the Trailblazer. And man, let him live - I can imagine his interactions with the SD Gundam cast will be either hilarious or basically sexual abuse. Possibly both.

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

Alacron posted:

What's the matter? Wasn't Nirvash constantly making "MOKYUUN"s endearing enough for you? :v:

Personally, I disliked E7 in Z2 because it had literally none of the fantastic music that made me like the Eureka 7 stuff in the first place, and what it did have wasn't very good. It doesn't really matter how much I like a series or its characters, if it has bad BGM, I'm much less likely to heavily use those units (Zeta Gundam gets hit hard by this, but I just give Kamille and Quattro whichever CCA theme is on tap when possible).

Dr. Snark
Oct 15, 2012

I'M SORRY, OK!? I admit I've made some mistakes, and Jones has clearly paid for them.
But ma'am! Jones' only crime was looking at the wrong files!
I beg of you, don't ship away Jones, he has a wife and kids!

-United Nations Intelligence Service

EclecticTastes posted:

Personally, I disliked E7 in Z2 because it had literally none of the fantastic music that made me like the Eureka 7 stuff in the first place, and what it did have wasn't very good. It doesn't really matter how much I like a series or its characters, if it has bad BGM, I'm much less likely to heavily use those units (Zeta Gundam gets hit hard by this, but I just give Kamille and Quattro whichever CCA theme is on tap when possible).

That or Mobile Suit from Gundam Unicorn. That's also a great track for when you just don't care about the other series' BGM.

At least V had that awesome version of Silent Voice for the ZZ crew.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Dr. Snark posted:

That or Mobile Suit from Gundam Unicorn. That's also a great track for when you just don't care about the other series' BGM.

At least V had that awesome version of Silent Voice for the ZZ crew.

I'm still disappointed it wasn't Anime Ja Nai, though I concede that isn't a great battle theme.

Herr Tog
Jun 18, 2011

Grimey Drawer

AradoBalanga posted:

Yes, he was the producer/co-creator of Heroman, and like the Marvel Cinematic Universe, there's a character that's based off of Lee that is a recurring character in the show. You'll notice as we go along that there are a lot of parallels to Lee's other works (in particular, Spiderman) with regards to the characterizations of the Heroman cast. And I mean it, one person we'll meet is literally Totally Not Flash Thompson, up to and including having an analogue to the Venom Symbiote.

And since you're probably wondering "why didn't this get licensed for the US, since Stan Lee was part of the creative team?", well that's allegedly due to Heroman's merchandise tie-ins catastrophically bombing in Japan, so they felt that taking a risk on the US market was not worth the hassle.

drat shame about Heroman and the name

General Revil
Sep 30, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
You're seriously tearing through this game. I'm glad I'm not playing along because I wouldn't be able to keep up.

After ten thousand years of evolution, the RB 79 Ball has finally reached its final form!

EclecticTastes posted:

I didn't know how much I needed that until now.

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

Finishing the game with everyone else's continues
Graham is awesome and it's great to see him getting some love nice and early. One of my top aces in SRWV because I would always slap down my usuals and go "Okay who else can I put d-Graham" and then he'd somehow eat half the map.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
This stage really undersells the ball that motherfucker was a real problem in the show

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

General Revil posted:

You're seriously tearing through this game. I'm glad I'm not playing along because I wouldn't be able to keep up.

After ten thousand years of evolution, the RB 79 Ball has finally reached its final form!

I didn't know how much I needed that until now.

Its a dormant giant haro

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

EclecticTastes posted:

Z2 was the movie version of Eureaka 7 that nobody likes. The good Eureka 7 has only been in one game so it really needs to show back up.

The ability to use custom soundtracks in V made it way easier to add the good Zeta music to the game.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

We're two stages into the story (three, counting the prologue) and these originals are already great. Also you get Graham as your mentor and he's totally going to fix Jin before he goes crazy, dies or betrays us. I believe in Graham.

This game owns.

maninthesuit
Jul 13, 2017
Either that ufo had landed, or the bully-duo are far more resourceful than any non-mecha-owning kid has any right to be.

Also,
"Ok, we're getting rolled up by that giant indestructible ball....did that guy just crack the thing? He's hogging my spotlight! How dare he!"
I take back what I said about Jin being reasonable. Dude has his priorities messed up.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

maninthesuit posted:

Either that ufo had landed, or the bully-duo are far more resourceful than any non-mecha-owning kid has any right to be.
It's the latter. Will and Nick really do manage to sneak into the Skrugg base with as much effort in the show as they do here in UX. It almost makes you think that they'll be able to turn things around and actually help out (since the events of this stage are from roughly episode...7(?) of Heroman, and Will has really been bitter about Joey's newfound ally/strength since the introduction of the title character), but nope, the Skrugg catch the duo before Will and Nick pull off whatever plans they had.

Materant
Jul 22, 2010

see, what you don't understand is he now has

THE MANLIEST MUSTACHE

it defies physics

AradoBalanga posted:

It's the latter. Will and Nick really do manage to sneak into the Skrugg base with as much effort in the show as they do here in UX. It almost makes you think that they'll be able to turn things around and actually help out (since the events of this stage are from roughly episode...7(?) of Heroman, and Will has really been bitter about Joey's newfound ally/strength since the introduction of the title character), but nope, the Skrugg catch the duo before Will and Nick pull off whatever plans they had.

I mean, both the game and the show made it clear that Will didn't really have a plan besides steal weapons > beat all the Skrugg > BETTER THAN JOEY. Poor Nick only gets to realize this once they're balls deep into the Skrugg base.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
I love how the Original characters nerd out about Graham Acker. :allears:

Ace of Aces
Feb 25, 2017

ZENRYOKU ZENKAI

EclecticTastes posted:

Personally, I disliked E7 in Z2 because it had literally none of the fantastic music that made me like the Eureka 7 stuff in the first place, and what it did have wasn't very good.

Otokko no Tatakae is awesome though! It's the other theme and the MOKYUUUUUN...

Ethiser posted:

The ability to use custom soundtracks in V made it way easier to add the good Zeta music to the game.

You could actually do this in Z3 as well, and much more easily at that (since the PS3 lets you load music onto it by default, unlike the PS4). I think you might be able to do it in OGMD but I haven't tried because... why would you?

And that's why Hibiki spent 95% of Z3.1 with an arrange of X vs Zero as his bgm...

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

So far we have...
Stan Lee the anime.
Cao Cao the mech.

So I assume that's it for crazy bullshit.

The man called M
Dec 25, 2009

THUNDERDOME ULTRALOSER

ChrisBTY posted:

So far we have...
Stan Lee the anime.
Cao Cao the mech.

So I assume that's it for crazy bullshit.

You sweet summer child.:allears:

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

Ace of Aces posted:

Otoko no Tatakae is awesome though! It's the other theme and the MOKYUUUUUN...

I prefer Seija Tanjou. It's still boring, but at least it's a high-energy, triumphant kind of boring. Compared to the stuff that has lyrics (well, had), I almost always dislike instrumentals, and the exceptions could be counted on my fingers. That and the SpecV was painfully boring, at least the Spec3 was only around for two battles and had the best Dynamic Kill in the game. That said, I think we can chalk it up to differences in tastes so as not to stray too far into this derail.

Materant posted:

I mean, both the game and the show made it clear that Will didn't really have a plan besides steal weapons > beat all the Skrugg > BETTER THAN JOEY. Poor Nick only gets to realize this once they're balls deep into the Skrugg base.

This is something I find happens a lot with series like Heroman, Big O, etc. when they're added to SRW. Banpresto does their best, but so much of the series has nothing to do with robot fights that you lose some context no matter what.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Is Heroman good? I remember trying to read the manga when it started but the beginning didn't do anything for me, though that was years ago and the series is complete now.

Also, does Fafner get good? I'm by episode 6 and I genuinely can't care about it at all.

I know I could ask this in the mecha thread but at this point Brunom's LPs are what get me new series to watch and I won't pretend otherwise. I mean, I accidentally found Iczer-1 (movie version) by mistake and had to watch it immediately, ignoring other plans I already had, because hey, it appeared in a SRW LP.

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

Blaze Dragon posted:

Is Heroman good? I remember trying to read the manga when it started but the beginning didn't do anything for me, though that was years ago and the series is complete now.

I've only watched the anime, and I can say that if you'd be into something fairly light-hearted and rife with western sensibilities despite remaining pretty distinctly Japanese, you'd enjoy Heroman. The closest comparison I can make is to My Hero Academia (which I was quite surprised by how good it was), but without the ensemble cast.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!

EclecticTastes posted:

I've only watched the anime, and I can say that if you'd be into something fairly light-hearted and rife with western sensibilities despite remaining pretty distinctly Japanese, you'd enjoy Heroman. The closest comparison I can make is to My Hero Academia (which I was quite surprised by how good it was), but without the ensemble cast.

Seconded, and the MHA comparison is especially apt. Think it like this: Heroman is Spider-Man's solo book versus MHA's X-Men.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

I utterly adore MHA but found Heroman just okay when I watched it years ago. Not bad, but not particularly memorable either. YMMV.

I do like Fafner but the show itself is terribly boring and made me almost fall asleep a bunch of times. The sequels and prequels are better, I believe.