Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pangurban
Apr 29, 2015

quote:

"I could offer some measure of personal protection, having had some experience in fisticuffs, sir."

Rory considered carefully. "This is most unusual."

"Yes, sir. I do not suggest that it is typical."

"I'm not often involved in what you would call melee, or a fracas. Is fracas the word I want?"

"I believe so, sir."

"And yet it doesn't hurt to be prepared. Your experience interests me strangely. Consider me intrigued."

Rory paused for a moment with eyes closed, seemed to make a decision, and then stood up.

"I say, I'm going to pop round to the tobacconists' for a moment. It's just downstairs. Make yourself comfortable. I won't be a moment."

Rory was out for ten minutes. What did you do in that ten minutes that made him hire you at once?

I tidied his living room, making neat stacks of his papers, carefully organizing the sheet music on the piano, and arranging his books by author and subject.
I mixed him a refreshing pomegranate champagne cocktail, a popular drink amongst the cognoscenti.
I followed him, and convinced him not to purchase cigarettes.
I simply began unpacking my belongings in the servant's room and making myself at home.

Most current stats posted:

Reginald Butler

Your Sundry Skills
Bold: 47% (+5%)
Culture: 25%
Intellect: 31% (-5%)
Observe: 32% (+7%)
Persuade: 36%
Skulduggery: 19%
Soothing/Abrasive: 37%/63% (+4% Abrasiveness)

Your Reputation
Renown: 10%
Tranquility: 20%
Suspicion: 10%

Rory: 46%

Ready Monies: 25

Pangurban fucked around with this message at 02:50 on Dec 27, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ratoslov
Feb 15, 2012

Now prepare yourselves! You're the guests of honor at the Greatest Kung Fu Cannibal BBQ Ever!

Unpack. We already know we've got this in the can. What man doesn't want an abrasive pugilist that gets overly attached to live in his house? Nobody. We're the best at what we do, and what we do is buttle.

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
Why, we speak our mind, as they say. And what better to say "I have this job" than to immediately begin unpacking?

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Unpack. He might not appreciate if we mess with all his stuff.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Make a cocktail.

Mad Jaqk
Jun 2, 2013
We already made him a cocktail in the future, right? We don't want to cause a temporal paradox.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012
Cocktail

AnAnonymousIdiot
Sep 14, 2013

Our would-be master looks like he could use a drink.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
I get my fun here. Enjoy!
Make the boss a drink while we wait.

where the red fern gropes
Aug 24, 2011

Mad Jaqk posted:

We already made him a cocktail in the future, right? We don't want to cause a temporal paradox.

on the contrary. we already make him one and, therefore, do not need to do so

unpack

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face
Cocktail.

Dancer
May 23, 2011
Alcohol

rchandra
Apr 30, 2013

unpack

Pangurban
Apr 29, 2015

quote:

Rory had a well-appointed liquor cabinet, and it ws the work of a moment for you to locate the champagne, the Riesling, the pomegranate juice, and an assortment of citrus fruits, which you began to juice and zest with a will.

Rory returned, cheerfully puffing on a cigarette, while you finished muddling the mint. He watched you with interest as you poured the beverage over ice, placed it on a tray, and served it to him.

"This is extraordinary, Butler," he said. "Well, I'll be dashed. What do you call this concoction?"

"It's a creation of my own, sir. I believe some people call it the Butler Especial."

"This is wonderful. I don't suppose I could implore you for another..."

"I have already taken the liberty of preparing you a second one in anticipation of your desire, sir." And you handed him another.

"You're hired!" Rory said, with enthusiasm.

"Very good, sir."

And now, five years later... posted:

Laden tray in hand, you open the door to the suffering Rory's bedroom.

"Your tray, sir."

"Oh, thank heavens, Butler. You are a celestial messenger bearing tidings of great joy unto me."

You place the tray on the bed, and Rory attempts to heave himself to a sitting position, but then flops back on the pillow, clutching his head.

"I am not well, Butler," Rory intones. "I will likely die before sundown. If I die, I leave you half my kingdom."

"Very good, sir. But before that dreadful event, I wonder if you might care for a beverage."

"There isn't a brass band or a drum enthusiast practicing downstairs, is there, Butler?" Rory says weakly.

"Not to my knowledge, sir. Here you are. Try this."

As if clutching for a life preserver, Rory grasps the cocktail from the tray and downs it quickly.

His eyes bug out briefly and begin to water. Then he shakes his head a few times. "My word. The throbbing may be subsiding."

"It is called an 'Electric Current Fizz.'"

"Is that egg I taste? And...something else...rather pungent?"

"Indeed, sir. There are six egg whites, a good deal of sugar, and fresh-squeezed lemon juice. The pureed habanero peppers is an addition of my own."

"That's strong stuff. You ought to bottle that and sell it at the carnival in front of the 'Try Your Strength' game. You'd make a million in a day."

"I shall endeavor to remember that in case of financial need, sir."

quote:

Rory suddenly makes a sour face and claps his hand to his forehead. "Is today Thursday? I had completely forgotten. Aunt Primrose is coming to dinner tonight! She rang up the other day and, like an rear end, I said, 'Very well.' We'll have to work swiftly, Butler."

He leaps up, and you whip the tray away so that its contents don't spill. Rory rushes to the vast wardrobe and begins to pull clothes out of it haphazardly.

"As you well know, Butler, thanks to the proviso in my father's will, my Aunt Primrose holds control over all of my money whilst I remain unmarried. Now, this is not usually a problem, as Aunt Primrose sends off my monthly checks as steady as can be. But, this month, I seem to have dug myself into a bit of a trench, debt-wise."

"How so, sir?"

"It's a funny thing, actually. I was absolutely certain of this one particular horse in the third race. They called him Surefire. Can they do that? Isn't that false advertising? At any rate, I spent the whole monthly check on Surefire, and it was not to be. And now the bill collectors are coming round and demanding that I render unto Caesar what is Caesar's, as the fellow says. We may have some small risk of having thuggish debt collectors arrive with lead pipes."

"If it helps in any way, I would be willing to work for free this month, sir."
"If any debt collectors show up, I'll see them out. Never you fear about that, sir."
"Ah...I understand the importance of Aunt Primrose's visit."
"Most distressing, sir, to be sure."

Reginald Butler

Your Sundry Skills
Bold: 47%
Intellect: 31%
Observe: 38% (+6%)
Soothing/Abrasive: 37%/63%

Your Reputation

Rory: 51% (+5%)

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face
Our pugilistic skills will definitely see them out.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

"Ah...I understand the importance of Aunt Primrose's visit."

If he can only gain control of his finances upon marriage, perhaps it would be prudent to set him up with a fine lady.

Also I looked it up and the Electric Current Fizz is a real drink from the time period. The basic drink is a Silver Fizz (gin, soda water, lemon juice, and egg white), but you serve up the egg yolk in the half shell with pepper, salt, and vinegar (and in Reginald's case, habanero pepper). You're supposed to shoot the egg yolk and then sip the drink after, but it sounds like Reginald just mixed everything together in one glass.

I would suggest making one myself when I get home to sample, but the only gin I have is a very nice one finished in bourbon barrels so it won't taste exactly right.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
So much potential for a gentleman’s lady here. :sigh: Most distressing.

Ratoslov
Feb 15, 2012

Now prepare yourselves! You're the guests of honor at the Greatest Kung Fu Cannibal BBQ Ever!

See them out. With only moderate prejudice, too.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

See them out.

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

My word, sir! I shall see them out, roundly, if needed.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

May God help us all, I got the ingredients for Reginald’s Electric Current Fizz.

Pangurban
Apr 29, 2015

Please dear god tell me how it is and if it helps headaches.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Reginald's Electric Current Fizz

This is the stupidest goddamn idea. If you would like to try it yourself:

* 1.5 ounces of gin (I chose Bombay as a classic London style to be as close to the real Reginald recipe as possible)
* 1 ounce of lemon juice
* 1/2 tbsp of sugar
* 1 raw egg
* 1 dash of salt
* 1 dash of black pepper
* 1 dash of vinegar (I used red wine vinegar as I had nothing else on hand)
* A few drops of habanero hot sauce
* Soda water to fill the glass to the top

Ordinarily only the gin, lemon juice, egg white, and sugar are actually mixed. This creates a pretty plain and unmemorable variant on the gin fizz. The Electric Current Fizz adds the egg yolk, pepper, salt, and vinegar in the half shell to take as a shooter before you sip the drink. As there's no mention of this in the game, it seems that Reginald decided to mix it up in one glass. This is the crucial mistake.

Reginald also puts his own spin on it by adding habanero puree. Along with the added complexity of pureeing chili peppers, I was concerned that the thickness combined with the egg would create something undrinkable (in the literal sense, as it would no longer be a liquid at that point), so I substituted for habanero hot sauce. You're also supposed to shake with ice, but I have no ice maker and it would have taken too long to wait for ice cubes to freeze.

Here's how it looks minus the egg and soda water. The pepper floating on top makes for an unsettling garnish. Also that is a lot of lemon juice in proportion to gin.

My chosen hot sauce, which is somewhat comparable to Tabasco in flavor.

ker-plunk

With the soda water added, you see why the fizz really gets its name: a little egg white creates a big frothy head.

At this point I used a cocktail shaker to mix it up. It didn't seem to like it very much, as the lid kept trying to pop off and spray the fizzy drink back out. Little did I know that my cocktail shaker could taste.

This tastes exactly like vomit, and I mean exactly. The bizarre combination of flavors is bad enough, but the vinegar contributes an acidity that brings to mind the taste in your mouth right after you're done expelling a pint of bile from it. It appears to work as a hangover cure by causing Rory to puke up everything he drank the previous night.

After the first sip, I dumped the rest of the glass in the backyard and brushed my teeth to try and return to some semblance of normalcy.

chitoryu12 fucked around with this message at 01:30 on Dec 28, 2017

Pangurban
Apr 29, 2015

WHELP. :suspense: I'm sorry I inadvertently drove you to this, but I can't say that wasn't an enlightening description of what not to do.

Maybe Reg doesn't know everything there is to know about booze. If his Observe score was higher, maybe he could have observed the crucial part of the recipe that is not mixing everything in one glass.

At least he's got his fists to fall back on.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Honestly, I feel like interactions like this only enlighten a thread. I care quite a lot about my eating and drinking, so I'd be happy to make other cocktails that come our way as long as I have access to the materials.

Pangurban
Apr 29, 2015

Agreed wholeheartedly on interactions like this! I can think of a couple more cocktails that get listed, depending on our choices. I'm assuming the pomegranate thing would require going further out of your way? I know I don't exactly keep either champagne or pomegranates laying around.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Pangurban posted:

Agreed wholeheartedly on interactions like this! I can think of a couple more cocktails that get listed, depending on our choices. I'm assuming the pomegranate thing would require going further out of your way? I know I don't exactly keep either champagne or pomegranates laying around.

Yeah, I actually don't have any wine in my house! I'm predominately beer and spirits. I would also need to acquire a cocktail of fruit juices that would taste pleasant together.

I might be able to see if those convenience store single-serve wines include Riesling and champagne...

Ratoslov
Feb 15, 2012

Well, at least we learned that Rory has terrible taste in liquor.

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face
Being London based I may be able to source some ingredients easier than those in the US. Any supermarket here has pomegranates for instance.

Going through a bit of a hectic time at the moment but if someone reserved a first page post to compile the cocktails that come up in the story, people (including me) could do the relevant experiments and post about them?

Pangurban
Apr 29, 2015

I can do that. Don't have much time to look up recipes today, but I can post the Electric Current Fizz as a dire warning and the Butler Especial for anyone to try who has ingredient access.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

The pomegranate champagne cocktail is real, but there's a lot of variations on it. Reginald is using a variety of fruit juices and muddled mint, and is mixing champagne and Riesling instead of using a single wine. Looking at the measurements in some real recipes and figuring out what would taste good with pomegranate, here's my suggestion

* 2 ounces of champagne
* 2 ounces of Riesling
* 3 tbsp of pomegranate juice
* 1 tbsp of lime juice
* 1 tbsp of orange juice
* 1 tbsp of pineapple juice
* 1 fresh mint leaf

Muddle the mint at the bottom of the serving glass (do it the right way with a light touch so you don't shred the leaf). Mix the wines and juices together, pour into the serving glass with ice, and drink two.

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

If any show up, see them out. :toughguy:

Pangurban
Apr 29, 2015

It's been a longass day, folks. Let's see how Reg and Rory cope with theirs'.

quote:

"I have no doubt that you will protect my person," says Rory, gently, smiling at you. "But the issue at hand is deeper and wider. No, Butler, we need money, and lots of it, quickly."

"I see," you say, considering carefully. "If I might make a suggestion: your aunt might be more inclined to be generous with her funds, were we to offer her an exquisite dinner. She is known to appreciate a hearty meal."

"Hm," says Rory, mulling this over. "Get her in a right jolly mood with refreshments, and then touch her for the money to the extent possible. I think we should be able to handle that. Now let's see about some clothes."

Rory considers and rejects a number of articles of clothing one by one.

"Butler, where on earth is my lavendar plus fours with the checks? I want to wear my spats with it."

You take a moment to consider your answer.

"I took the liberty of discarding that outfit with yesterday's rubbish, sir. May I suggest an outfit less...sudden in its effect?" I say, calmly.
"Yes; note carefully, sir: it is of course mixed in with the outfits for fancy dress balls. Permit me."
"An unstylish choice, I'm afraid, sir., but would you permit me to offer a more modish selection?"

Reginald Butler

Your Sundry Skills
Bold: 54% (+7%)
Intellect: 31%
Observe: 35% (-3%)
Soothing/Abrasive: 37%/63%

Your Reputation

Rory: 55% (+4%)

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

Fairly unstylish, sir. Shall I fetch you a more becoming ensemble?

Ratoslov
Feb 15, 2012

Rubbish. I set it on fire and laughed as it burned.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
Very unstylish, sir. Allow me to assist you in making a better choice.

peachsynapse
Dec 22, 2007

The sea monsters appreciate your good taste.
Most distressing, sir; we discarded it with extreme prejudice. We do apologize!

VivaLa Eeveelution
Apr 3, 2011

Ah; between the unstylish outfit and the...drink...it's clear that Rory is fond of the taste of vomit.

rchandra
Apr 30, 2013

Historically consigned that rubbish to the dustbin.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
"Rubbish belongs in the dustbin, sir."

• Locked thread