Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Be careful!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015
We are bold and playful

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Playful and improvisational. We're not a regular butler, we're a cool butler.

Pangurban
Apr 29, 2015

quote:

You pick up the knife, flip it thrice in the air, chop some herbs roughly, and then begin to throw handfuls of them in a pan. You cook on instinct, as is your wont, and the pan sings and sizzles as you work.

You cook solely from your intuition, and your efforts are original; certainly you can say that much for your efforts. The quality on the other hand...

Black smoke completely fills the kitchen.

You understand that in the south of America, there is a cuisine called "Cajun" in which food is often served "blackened". This will have to be the style of the ragout you'll be serving tonight. Perhaps Aunt Primrose will be intrigued.

"Ah!" Rory says, peeking into the kitchen, then coughing several times. "Ah! Hm."

"The food, I fear, received a touch more heat than is typical," you say.

"I can see that, yes," Rory says. "Is it...salvageable?"

You show Rory the ragout, such as it is.

"Ah, well," Rory says. "Aunt Primrose enjoys...fish, is it? Okra? Well, whichever. It doesn't look too bad."

"And, is that dessert I see there?" Rory says, forcing a note of positivity into his voice. "Prepared in your inimitable style as well, I see?"

"Yes," you say. "I...suppose it is."

Well, I still think we're a cool butler.

quote:

Forty minutes later, an imperious ring of the doorbell announces the arrival of Aunt Primrose (or, as she is more correctly addressed, Mrs. Primrose Patterson, nee Wintermint, the sister of Rory's father). Rory leaps up as you open the door for Aunt Primrose.

She strides into the middle of the room, in her rather smart-looking long, dark green jacket with brass buttons and dark green skirt, and a broad hat with flowers on it. Aunt Primrose is a tall woman who gives the impression of taking up thrice as much space as she rightly ought to.

"Hallo, Rory!" she barks cheerfully, handing you her parasol and hat. "Good day, Butler. You're looking well. Better than Rory, at any rate, whom I see you have managed to drag out of bed before nightfall. Well done!"

She casts a critical eye up and down Rory. "You look less foolish than usual. I assume that's your doing?" she says, looking at you. You give her the most imperceptible of nods. "well, well, well. You look somewhat presentable."

"Now, I say..." Rory begins, but Aunt Primrose hushes him with a wave of her hand as she eases herself into a chair.

quote:

"You're looking very well, Aunt Primrose," Rory says.

"And what is this?" she says, ignoring him. "What sort of trash are you filling your mind with?" She leans down and plucks down a slender, garishly illustrated novel from off a shelf.

"It is a very well-regarded piece of literature, perhaps the best-selling series there is right now," Rory says.

"Although She Knew Better, by Miss Fifi Buttercup. The sixth volume in the How Wicked Was the Earl? series," reads Aunt Primrose, holding her lorgnette to her eyes. "Shockingly bodice ripping. Butler, what do you think of Rory's taste in literature?"

"Actually, madam, that novel is mine, not Mr. Wintermint's. I find the work of Fifi Buttercup most illuminating."
"Deplorable, madam."
"I prefer not to say, madam."

Most current stats posted:

Reginald Butler

Your Sundry Skills
Bold: 54%
Culture: 25%
Intellect: 31%
Observe: 35%
Persuade: 36%
Skulduggery: 19%
Soothing/Abrasive: 37%/63%

Your Reputation
Renown: 10%
Tranquility: 18%
Suspicion: 10%

Rory: 43% (-4%)
:siren: Aunt Primrose: 34% :siren:

Ready Monies: 25

Dancer
May 23, 2011
We want auntie too like us. That will help with getting Rory liking us too.
We prefer not to say.

Actually, that's not a very bold thing to say, and we're nothing if not bold. Deplorable.

Lord Cyrahzax
Oct 11, 2012

Deplorable.

Ratoslov
Feb 15, 2012

Now prepare yourselves! You're the guests of honor at the Greatest Kung Fu Cannibal BBQ Ever!

Let's piss her off, I think that's the best option right now given that dinner is already a fiasco.

"Most illuminating, madame."

rchandra
Apr 30, 2013

Deplorable - lying will be easy to catch and she already sees we have different taste than Rory.

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
Well, Madame, I'd prefer not to say

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

I find it most illuminating. and also my smut, get your filthy hands off it you harlot.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
"Our salacious material is most illuminating, madam."

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face
Deplorable, but these things take time. We hope to influence him subtly in the direction of crime thrillers over the course of our relationship.

Although I'm quite tempted to change my vote upon realising that Aunt Primrose is probably partial to bodice-rippers herself.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
I get my fun here. Enjoy!
I find the book illuminating

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

It's mine.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

It's mine and you can suck it, ma'am.

Pangurban
Apr 29, 2015

I choose to believe that, even though we're covering for Rory in this particular instance, we are indeed an abrasive pugilist who can also enjoy a good bodice-ripper in his downtime.

quote:

"Do you now?" Aunt Primrose's eyes narrow, and she shakes her head, tossing the book aside. "I must say, I had the impression that you had more sense than that. These stories of young men and women cavorting around in hedge mazes and sneaking in and out of bedrooms in the dead of night are what I would call tawdry. I did not expect a taste for the tawdry from you, Butler."

"I will return it to the circulating library at the earliest opportunity," you say.

"See that you do," she says. "And see that you do not taint Rory with your ill-advised literary taste."

Rory stretches and smiles at Aunt Primrose. "Well, now, Auntie. I suppose you look pretty foolish right about now. No, my taste in literature tends towards the complex, not this sort of paltry time-waster."

"Speaking of books," Aunt Primrose says. "Where's that book I loaned you? What did you think of it? Did it stimulate that so-called brain of yours?"

Rory steeples his hands and assumes a thoughtful expression. "Ah, I believe you are referring to Releasing the Hidden Potential of Your Hitherto-Unawakened Mind in 12 Easy Steps, by Professor Clarence Q. Hickory, are you not? I have it for you just here." He hands her the book with a flourish. "Wonderful book. Excellent binding."

"Yes, I know bloody well what book I loaned you," snaps Aunt Primrose, drumming her fingers on the table. "Let me make it quite plain. I asked you to read this tome because although you have little to no intellectual merits, you have in the past demonstrated a certain honesty in your evaluations, however inarticulately expressed. This Professor Hickory approached me bearing a copy of this book of his, and wanted to know if he could address the Ladies' Intellectual Society, of which you know I am chairwoman. But I wanted another opinion, and you, poor sap, were the only person I could think of to ask at a moment's notice."

"And it was my pleasure to offer my assistance," says Rory.

"Did you read it?"

I swear, I might need to make a hotkey so I don't have to type out the name of that drat book every time.

quote:

"Well, naturally I read it," Rory says.

"And what did you make of his conclusions. Did they seem sound to you?"

"Ah yes," says Rory. "Hmm!"

"You seem very pensive," Aunt Primrose pursues. "It must have given you a lot of food for thought."

"Indeed."

"I cannot but hear a certain evasive quality in your responses," Aunt Primrose says. "You didn't read it at all, did you?"

"I...er...oh, the jig is up, isn't it?" Rory says. "No, not a lick. Well, I flipped through it a few times, but more to goggle at how many words were in it than to peruse its contents."

Aunt Primrose throws up her hands. "Well," she says. "What more did I expect? I only wanted a second opinion on this Professor Hickory fellow and whether he seems a good candidate to invite for a talk, but you have been no help whatsoever. Oh, buck up, young egg. You needn't weep. Auntie Primrose isn't going to scold you. Didn't I watch over you when you were a mere tadpole, and shake a rattle at you hundreds of times?"

"You did."

"There now. I'll simply know better than to ask you to accomplish intellectual tasks, that's all."

Rory looks rather unhappy, and he shakes his head slowly and mournfully at you.

"Where's dinner?" cries Aunt Primrose. "I'm famished. All I had today to eat was a buttered roll at the train station."

Commiserate with Aunt Primrose regarding the buttered roll.
Inform her that she will not be disappointed about the evening's repast.
Offer Aunt Primrose a glass of wine as she sits down.

Reginald Butler

Your Sundry Skills

Your Reputation
Renown: 9% (-1%)

Rory: 44% (+1%)
Aunt Primrose: 28% (-6%)

We actually gained more points with Rory and lost less with Aunt Primrose in the previous section, but then our failure to get Rory to read the book caught up with us. So I've just showed the totals as they appeared at the next choice.

Pangurban fucked around with this message at 00:20 on Jan 4, 2018

Pangurban
Apr 29, 2015

I hope no one's getting too discouraged, here. Actually figuring out the right combination of choices to make dinner not a fiasco is pretty tricky - I suspect that's why it was included both first and as the main bulk of the demo, to give people a way to play around with it easily and see the different possible results. So this is about as well as things went for me the first time I played through - possibly better, even, since in my first playthrough, Rory tried to cook dinner themselves.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
Offer Primrose some wine. Too bad we can’t offer a cocktail.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Get her drunk before she sees our cooking

Ratoslov
Feb 15, 2012

Now prepare yourselves! You're the guests of honor at the Greatest Kung Fu Cannibal BBQ Ever!

Wine! We are completely doomed. :ohdear:

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Wine

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

I have the feeling she is a prohibitionist. So, let's commiserate

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

Slaan posted:

I have the feeling she is a prohibitionist. So, let's commiserate

You may be right! Even more reason to offer her some wine!

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
We'll make her too drunk to enjoy the dinner!

rchandra
Apr 30, 2013

Wine. Next we will keep digging by offering women and song.

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face
Yeah, getting her drunk on wine may be our only chance to salvage this.

Pangurban
Apr 29, 2015

quote:

"May I tempt you with a glass of..."

"Oh yes!" she says. "Certainly. I'll have that Chateau de something or other that you gave me last time I was here. And give me full measure."

"Very good, madam. An excellent selection." You pour her a generous drink, and then prepare to bring out dinner.

Rory and Aunt Primrose arrange themselves at Rory's small table.

"Now tell me, Aunt Primrose," Rory says. "Not that I do not relish the pleasure of your company with all familial duty and so forth, but why the sudden trip to London?"

"I have some things to ask you, and I wanted to ask you to your face," she says.

"Ah, that's lucky, as I have something I want to ask you as well," Rory says. "By way of background information, I don't suppose you've ever heard of the horse, Surefire, who ran in the third race a few days ago?"

"What are you talking about? None of your nonsense until after dinner. Ah, thank you, Butler - just in time."

You bring out the food, but you are very much aware of how tense Rory is. As you serve Aunt Primrose, and then Rory, you...

...break the tension with a conversational gambit.
...put your hand on Rory's shoulder to comfort him.
...stand at attention, awaiting further orders.

Reginald Butler

Your Sundry Skills

Your Reputation
Renown: 9%

Rory: 44%
Aunt Primrose: 28%

Pangurban fucked around with this message at 20:39 on Jan 4, 2018

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
We are Bold. Break the tension!

Ratoslov
Feb 15, 2012

We love to break things! Break the tension!

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

Ratoslov posted:

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Ratoslov posted:

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Ratoslov posted:

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

We love to bold things! Bold: the tension!

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Comfort Rory! :unsmigghh:

rchandra
Apr 30, 2013

Comfort

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

Gambit.

Pangurban
Apr 29, 2015

quote:

"Mrs. Patterson," you say to Aunt Primrose, "will you be entering any of your exquisite pumpkins into the Harvest Festival this year?"

She turns to you, and beams. "Thank you very much for asking," she says. "I do intend to. But I have far bigger plans for the Harvest Festival. The pumpkins will be the very least of my conquest."

"If I recall, you took several blue ribbons last year."

"Five blue ribbons," she says, rolling the words around in her mouth with relish. "And one honorable mention, which we will never mention again, honorably or otherwise."

Laughing contentedly, she turns back to the table.

"Is that...veal ragout with truffles and apricot compote?"

"It is, madam," you say.

"That's my favorite dish. I may have mentioned it once or twice to you."

"The information was not lost on me. I hope it proves to your liking, madam."

"I'm touched. Rory, this was very thoughtful. This was an act of devotion and love."

She cuts a morsel of veal, and takes a taste.

She makes a horrible face, and swallows the mouthful of veal only with a supreme effort of will. "What sort of travesty is this?" she hollers. "It's completely wrong! The apricots are mealy, and the veal tastes like how I imagine the inside of a car engine. I can't eat this!"

You whisk the veal away from her. "Perhaps I can simply offer you some bread and jam, madam?"

"I'm not certain in what exciting way you intend to ruin bread and jam, Butler," she says, hotly. "But I do need something to remove that horrible taste from my mouth."

Rory looks shell-shocked, head in hands.

quote:

An hour later, Rory and Aunt Primrose are sitting on the sofa with a bit of port. It is beginning to grow dark, and the wind is picking up.

Rory clears his throat. "Aunt Primrose, I have a matter of some import to ask. A bit earlier, I may have mentioned the horse, Surefire, who ran in the third race..."

Aunt Primrose ignores Rory, and looks to you. "I'll just take dessert here on the sofa," she says.

You offer Aunt Primrose a cut glass goblet full of dark chocolate mousse.

Aunt Primrose takes one look, and wrinkles her nose in dismay. "N...no. I've changed my mind. Take it away. Take it very far away."

"No, no, give it a try," Rory coaxes, sampling the mousse. "See, it's perfectly...that is...oh, Butler, feed this to some particularly vile animal. It isn't fit for human consumption."

quote:

Aunt Primrose seems rather irritated at this point in the evening. She seems displeased with her entertainment, and Rory looks wildly about for rescue as she frowns at him.

It is with a palpable sense of relief that Aunt Primrose turns to address you.

"I do not hold you responsible, Butler, for the shortcomings of your employer. Far from it. I recognize that Rory would lead anyone to distraction. Though I am not particularly pleased with the evening I have just endured, I would like to speak to you at some length."

"Certainly," you say.

"Butler," she says, "We've known each other for many years. You've spent a good deal of time on my estate. I like to think that you have had the opportunity to see me in my many moods."

You nod to acknowledge this truth.

"And I have always thought of you as a pull-no-punches sort. Someone who says what they mean. That's the sort of man I need to give me some advice."

"Of course," you say, perching on the edge of the sofa. "Go on."

"Well, it's a knotty problem. It's a problem of young, untamed hearts."

"Will swift, decisive action be required?"

"It will."

"Excellent."

"Well, Butler, let me explain. You know, of course, my young and tenderhearted niece Mopsie?"

Of course you do. You think about the young woman who you have known since she was fifteen - an energetic, loud, and emotionally voluble girl who saw you as a trusted friend and adviser from the moment she met you. Although you haven't seen her in a little while, you remember Mopsie as...

...the most annoying young woman you have ever met.
...a charming and clever young woman with whom I have enjoyed spending time.
...a disobedient, willful, and mischievous young woman.

Reginald Butler

Your Sundry Skills

Your Reputation
Renown: 9%
Tranquility: 16% (-2%)

Rory: 40% (-4%)
Aunt Primrose: 21% (-7%)

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

Annoying

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

...a disobedient, willful, and mischievous young woman.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ratoslov
Feb 15, 2012

Disobedient and willful. A perfect heroine!

• Locked thread