Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

...disobedient, willful, and mischievous....

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
She is charming and clever :colbert:

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Avalerion posted:

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH

Avalerion posted:

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
I get my fun here. Enjoy!

Avalerion posted:

She probably got it from us.

namehereguy
Nov 24, 2017
Charming and clever

Lord Cyrahzax
Oct 11, 2012

Avalerion posted:

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face
Annoying

Pangurban
Apr 29, 2015

quote:

"How could I forget her?" you ask.

You think back to the time that she borrowed her parent's roaster without leave, and crashed it into the side of a barn, destroying a good deal of property in the process. Granted, she was only fifteen at the time, but she has learned little since then. Luckily, she has a great deal of charm on her side. It's hard to stay mad at Mopsie.

"I seem to remember that you and she got on all right, Butler."

"Reasonably so, madam."

"Well," says Aunt Primrose. "the problem is this: young Mopsie has become involved in an ill-advised love affair. She has become enamored of a local ne'er-do-well by the name of Figaro Fairfield, and he is completely unsuitable."

Rory goggles at the news. "Did you say, 'Figaro Fairfield'?"

"I did. Do you know him?"

"Of course I know Figs!" cries Rory. "We were at school together. I haven't seen Figs in years. Whatever is he doing now? He was nice and all that, but not what you'd call strong of mind."

"I will have more to say to you on the subject of ill-advised romances in a moment. Now I am speaking to Butler." She turned back to you. "This 'Figs' is what is called a bohemian artist. He lives in a garret atop a thrift shop. He produces completely rubbish art that he tries to pawn off on unsuspecting tourists."

"Now that's not quite fair," Rory interjects.

"The man has no talent, no prospects, and no money. Therefore, Mopsie is completely head over heels, the more so because her parents have strictly forbidden them from seeing one another. And so they've sent her to my estate, that she may recover from her unfortunate affection. But so far, she has not recovered. In fact, I have reason to believe that she has been attempting to sneak off of my property and elope with this man in the dead of night. And so I ask you, Butler, what am I to do? How can I ensure that a young, resourceful woman will be unable to sneak off with her would-be lover on my watch?"

"Perhaps appoint some guards? Some truthworthy people who can patrol about the property, who will alert you if she does something rash."
"I know you have an enviable collection of hunting dogs: perhaps allowing a few of them to roam about at night? They would let the household know at once if Mopsie were trying to sneak out."
"This isn't a case for increased security at all. Instead, simply tell her you trust her."

Most current stats posted:

Reginald Butler

Your Sundry Skills
Bold: 54%
Culture: 25%
Intellect: 31%
Observe: 35%
Persuade: 36%
Skulduggery: 19%
Soothing/Abrasive: 37%/63%

Your Reputation
Renown: 9%
Tranquility: 16%
Suspicion: 10%

Rory: 40%
Aunt Primrose: 21%

Ready Monies: 25

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Hunting dogs

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
Young women love dogs, right? It can't go wrong!

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
Release the hounds.

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015
Not sure if I like the idea of using hunting dogs to keep guard, but maybe they also have some shepherds?

Use the dogs

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Get some guards, specifically us.

Lord Cyrahzax
Oct 11, 2012

Doggos

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

Guards.

rchandra
Apr 30, 2013

Puppies

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

Ratoslov
Feb 15, 2012

Now prepare yourselves! You're the guests of honor at the Greatest Kung Fu Cannibal BBQ Ever!

Dogs. I'm sure she's smart enough to get past some dogs she's known her entire life.

Pangurban
Apr 29, 2015

quote:

Aunt Primrose snaps her fingers. "Of course! I knew you'd think of it. She won't be able to sweet-talk a dog, and their barking would wake us all up and then we'd catch her in the act. I think it'll work...yes. I like it. Thank you, Butler. I may ask you for more help, of course, when you get there. But this is a good start."

"Of course," you say, and begin to clear the port glasses.

"Did you say, 'when you get there'?" Rory asks. "Whatever are you talking about?"

quote:

"Oh, didn't I say? You are coming to my estate for several days. Arriving this weekend." Aunt Primrose folds her arms and pushes her chin out as if daring Rory to gainsay her words.

"No, no, no, no." Rory holds up his hands. "You have this all wrong."

"I do not. You will be coming to my birthday celebration this weekend, so that I can have the pleasure of seeing you together with your new fiance, Miss Frankincense Cygnet-Signet. I have taken the liberty of inviting her as well, that I may have the dubious pleasure of seeing you two together. Now, when precisely were you thinking of telling me? I had to hear that you became engaged from her mother, whom I met just the other day."

What do you do upon hearing that Rory has become engaged?

Drop one of the port glasses that I was clearing away.
Offer Rory my formal congratulations.
Bite my lower lip ever so slightly.
Continue clearing away implacably.

Reginald Butler

Your Sundry Skills

Your Reputation

:siren: Frankincense: 30% :siren:

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

Offer congratulations.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
Offer congratulations. What a name for the fiancée!

Ratoslov
Feb 15, 2012

Now prepare yourselves! You're the guests of honor at the Greatest Kung Fu Cannibal BBQ Ever!

Formal but hearty congratulations! I do believe cigars and brandy are in order, sir!

sullat
Jan 9, 2012
Impeccable.

Dancer
May 23, 2011

achtungnight posted:

Offer congratulations. What a name for the fiancée!

The names are the very best part of this game (and the whole game is pretty great in many ways).

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Congratulate the man!

Odysseus S. Grant
Oct 12, 2011

Cats is the oldest and strongest emotion
of mankind
Drop the glass

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face
Drop that glass like an ugly baby.

Has anyone done a LP of Choice of Robots? That one is my favourite Choice Of that I've played. Only stumbled on this one by accident.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
I think there's an unfinished run of that in the archives somewhere but I don't have a link.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

keep cleaning. We shouldn't stab our boy Rory in the back by killing his lie

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

Keep on cleaning.

Maugrim posted:

Has anyone done a LP of Choice of Robots? That one is my favourite Choice Of that I've played. Only stumbled on this one by accident.

There's one in the archives.

JamMasterJim
Mar 27, 2010
Hearty Congratulations

namehereguy
Nov 24, 2017
Congratulations

Pangurban
Apr 29, 2015

quote:

"May I be among the first to wish you a very joyful engagement," you say.

"No, please don't," Rory says, abashed. "really."

"Yes, well done, I suppose," Aunt Primrose says. But Rory just looks perplexed.

"...I suppose, in some sense, I did become engaged. Did I? It all happened so fast the other day. Frankincense and I met up purely by chance at a bistro, and we got to talking, and she brought up the subject of love, and I said love seemed like a perfectly nice thing, and then she said that I was quite a sweet-talker, and then I said that she was such a kidder, and then she looked at me for a very long time and said that she knew that I had been in love with her for such a long time, and that finally she would relent and agree to take my hand in marriage, as it were, and I didn't know quite what to say, so I said I would order some champagne, and then she said yes, champagne, just the thing to toast our mutual alliance, and then, er, then she kissed me, and everyone applauded. But we haven't made a formal announcement. So...I'm engaged now, am I?

What are you feeling right now?

I'm...in love with Rory.
I feel an odd, wistful feeling of pain or some strange jealousy at the thought of Rory's engagement.
I am consistently amused by Rory's ability to get himself into ridiculous situations. It's all I can do to keep from laughing.
Miss Cygnet-Signet is a most unsuitable marriage prospect for Rory. This alliance should probably be broken off.
We will need to pack and make the arrangements for the trip at once.

Reginald Butler

Your Sundry Skills

Your Reputation

Frankincense: 30%

Pangurban fucked around with this message at 15:18 on Jan 8, 2018

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
Voting for vague jealousy here.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

I’m gay as hell and in love.

JamMasterJim
Mar 27, 2010
A butler must plan ahead.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

JamMasterJim posted:

A butler must plan ahead.

where the red fern gropes
Aug 24, 2011

:lol: but :ssh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

chitoryu12 posted:

I’m gay as hell and in love.

• Locked thread