Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

quote:

Across the black abyss in the Mystic Sea on the Angelic planet Rahab, concealed by the cloak of secret shadows, sits Babylon. This city of erotic evil is the center of Satan's rebellion.

I finally realized something that's been tickling the back of my mind since this started. This guy is trying to ape Simon R. Green. Very poorly, but now that I see it, it's so obvious to me now.

Also, my alignment is erotic evil.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

A human heart posted:

That's also what Milton does in Paradise Lost
I hadn't even thought of that. There's also a part in Paradise Lost where Satan invents cannons and other "engines of war" ages before they're used by man, which isn't that far off from how technology's treated here.

What I'm saying is that Chris Robinson is one of the greatest authors in the English language.

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

Don't be such a squid, bro
I'm so loving excited for the Terminator Angels.

legendof
Oct 27, 2014

I 100% cannot handle the land of Vegan.

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
'Twas the night before Christmas, and what did I do?
Read War of the Archangels, 'cause I love you.
And I know it's a long post, but it must be done,
Or we'll never get through this son of a gun.

Page 20 posted:

On the Earth's most luxuriant basin, against the murky backdrop of the mighty Nile, an Aquarian ship rises slowly over a herd of grazing Brachiosaurus, lifting a 30 thousand pound block of limestone, while hundreds of giants mix straw and mud in large pits. Other Aquarian ships of all sizes maneuver over the horizon, some landing at Giza and others transporting people to Heliopolis the greatest theological center in Egypt, and home of a powerful priesthood that provides political and spiritual guidance for the country.

The colossal blocks are brought to a massive Pyramid and set into place.

That's right, we're getting ancient aliens in this chapter! Or ancient angels, I guess, but the words are practically synonyms at this point.

Ra, who has taken the form of a "winged falcon" (as opposed to wingless?), sits on a "topaz throne of swirling fire" in Heliopolis, where he is "teaching Earth's earliest Egyptians high mathematics, linear language, and psychics". This seems to directly contradict the introduction, since we have humans living not only with dinosaurs but before Adam and Eve "REPLENISH the Earth" in the wake of the angels' war, but what kind of spoilsport would care?

A scribe asks Ra, "Master, tell us again about the flying boat." Ra says a bunch of technobabble gobbledygook about FTL spaceships (which are apparently powered by an "astral projection method" - no, I don't know either) and quantum teleportation.

Page 21 posted:

"This is beyond our grasp oh great god of the sun." A Sorcerer utters in despair as he wrestles with what he hears.

Again Ra speaks, "TIME IS ENERGY, physically constituted by three dimensions of moving spatial. We can scale the dimensional wall that separates you from an unseen world that lies just beyond your sight. At present, through the science of quantum physics we are performing Inter-dimensional tunneling, which will result in revolutionary modes of travel and communication from our realm, to yours. Sub-atomic particles can exist in two places at the same time, and if packed with information, we can send them into the future or back into the ancient past."

"You speak of the forbidden knowledge of old." One old Scribe announces as the Scribes, Sorcerers and Pharaoh himself bow to Ra.

Meanwhile, on the banks of the Nile, Neptune informs Poseidon (!) that Lord Iniquitous has cracked the code of DNA for Satan, which explains the creature that Michael fought in Chapter 2.

Page 21 posted:

"Just as Satan has foreseen ... what of Ra?"

"He and Isis are instructing the humanoids in the Forbidden Knowledge and establishing the first Mystery School."

Ruh-roh!

Back to Jandella, where Raphael is tormented by "the two midday suns" (ugh) and the heavy, dusty alien air. He's being held captive in the angelic capital, Falco, a city "steeped in the ancient philosophies and teachings of God, who visits there from time to time". Awfully nice of Him. Falco is specifically the angelic capital because this planet, shockingly, has more than one culture. It's simplistic and stupid, but I'm actually impressed with this fit of (relative!) non-hackiness from an author who seems to have learned everything he knows about science fiction from Revenge of the Sith:

Page 22 posted:

The rest of Jandella is ruled by four animal kingdoms; The Kingdom of the West is ruled by the Hemolites, ape like creatures that walk upright and speak in an ancient dialect. The Kingdom of the North is ruled by the Walepts, short pig like creatures, which walk upright, but who are less advanced than all the others. The Kingdom of the East is ruled by the Argonians, bird like beings who have the body and hind legs of a lion, the face and wings of an eagle and speak as the Angels. The Kingdom of the South is ruled by the Bacirian Tribal Warriors, who are brave cat like beings.

Good job, Chris. Counting the angels, that's three more cultures than even Naboo got.

Raphael shares a cell with Jumbla, a captured Hemolite general who informs him (somehow despite the Hermolite's "ancient dialect") of his situation.

Page 23 posted:

"Falco? Was I out?"

"Yes, for some time ... they use the heroin flower to keep most of us drugged."

Anton has been taken to the royal palace, but Raphael and Jumbla are going to fight in the arena. Gladiatorial combat had been outlawed on Jandella, but Satan "tore up the edict" and established "the Festival of Wickedness". Jumbla points out to Raphael that he, a Guardian Knight, should be able to get them out of this mess without breaking a sweat, but Raphael says that "the rules of engagement" mean that he has to play along and not go Super Saiyan (or "transfigure", to use the book's term). Whatever you need for your action scene, Chris.

Page 24 posted:

War drums thunder as the tense crowd grows more anxious. The self-imposed leader of Jandella, Bal Ram Pompe, legitimized his take over bid of the Jandella Senate by implementing a state of emergency and taking over the Imperial Jandellaian Army.

Please, Chris! No more Star Wars! And no, I didn't leave out any line breaks there; Robinson just doesn't really know what a paragraph is.

The arena's spectators shower Pompe with "cheers and roses" as he appears "with his bizarre lover Palatine". This may come as a shock, but Palatine is also male.

Minotaurs dispense crude swords and spears to the gladiators, who receive a brief address before they're turned loose:

Page 24 posted:

Slithering through the doorway in a somewhat standing position is some kind of goo oozing slug, which has a humanoid face. Raphael recoils at the vulgar being and is repulsed by its disgusting stench.

"I am Mostrodome, king of the worms, and you the living dead, are the villains of Yahweh's conquered army. What awaits you beyond this door is unholy sorrow and incomprehensible pain. Raise your weapons high and die with dignity."

The battle starts. Raphael and Jumbla make quick work of "a gigantic Montroy, standing at 20 feet tall and 6 feet wide" and a centaur, but the deadliest enemy isn't a contestant at all:

Page 25 posted:

In the middle of the arena lies an open pit, full of a billion worms and one giant Gored Worm, which weights eight tons, has eight long tentacles, with razor sharp hooks embedded in them.

"Stay clear of the pit, for there is no escaping the horrific death of the worms." Jumbla warns.

Jumbla is almost immediately forced to the pit by three other fighters and caught by one of the tentacles, but Raphael is stuck fighting a giant spider. How will he save Jumbla without using his powers?

Page 25 posted:

The crowd goes wild, which Raphael uses as an indicator he must make a move now to save his friend. He doesn't want to use his powers as a Guardian Knight, but now time is of the essence, so he reaches out his mighty arm and blasts the spider being with a discharge of electric fire. The being explodes as Raphael flies at sonic speeds towards Jumbla with his outstretched sword, cutting the three attackers in half. Then with nuclear propulsion, Raphael eradicates the tentacle, only to be taken by another tentacle himself.

Oh. Never mind.

Page 26 posted:

Before Jumbla can turn to see what's happening, Raphael is pulled into the pit, which draws horrified gasps from the crowd. All goes silent as a sadistic grin sashays across the face of Bal Ram Pompe.

"Be silent, I want to hear his terrifying screams as a billion worms eat his soul."

Silence ... silence ... silence ... but then unexpectedly the ground shakes violently and smoke rises from the vile pit, but still no screams of pain. Then with the suddenness of death itself Raphael erupts from the pit, bringing the eight-ton Gored Worm with him. The Angel holds him with one hand, showcasing his colossal strength, as he hits the worm with brutal thrust of his sword, leaving it in a dead heap of slime. Raphael drops the dead worm, and takes notice of a stunned Mostrodome looking on from a lone platform. With blinding speed Raphael shatters the sound barrier, making his way to the genetically created monster and beheads him before anyone knows what's happening.

Raphael lifts his sword in the air, yells a warrior's cry and hurls the weapon at Bal Ram Pompe. The sword sticks in a marble pillar, which enhances their fear of the Angelic Knight

Pompe shouts for his "Serpentine Centurions" to execute Raphael, but they "just stand motionless, each looking at the other to see who would be dumb enough to face him". Raphael and Jumbla exit the arena to glorious applause; once outside, Raphael thinks solemnly about the Satanic creatures he's seen, as "the warmth of the two Jandella suns, which once threatened to choke the life right out of his body, seems to gently embrace him, as a mother might a child when giving a hug." Poetic.

Suddenly, the two are cornered by "Reptilian war Angels", who are "huge in size, standing about 9 feet tall and about 4 feet wide, each brandishing massive swords of fire". But a friend has been following our heroes...

Page 27 posted:

"Uriel!" A relieved Raphael exclaims, as he catches a brand new sword of fire the Angel flings his way.

"The death games are forbidden as is the taking over of a star system that is not willfully given to you via the courts, so I guess I'm shutting you down ... plus Raphael is a friend of mine and I just plain don't like you."

Jumbla steps back as the two Archangels open their swords, which begin to pulsate with pure energy and gleam exceedingly with immense power. The swords are made out of alloyed diamond crystallite and emerald, laced with the purest of gold. When time for battle they are activated and burn with sulfuric fire interlaced with one hundred million volts of electrical power.

The fight is short, but it does give Jumbla enough time to free the other captives. Against all odds, the good guys win!

Pages 27-28 posted:

"That wasn't so hard." Uriel says, giving a brief smile to his counter part.

"I am so glad to see you my friend, my mentor ... oh this is my new friend Jumbla and many others species that live here on Jandella."

Jumbla bows, "Praise be to God our Creator."

"Yes Jumbla praise be to God, but do not bow to me, even as a gesture of respect, for I am a created being as are you."

"They have Anton and with Jandella gone this system has been thrust into a full blown Revolution."

"Well then my friend, I guess we will free Anton and then help lead the planet back into the hands of Yahweh and freedom."

Sham bam bamina! fucked around with this message at 19:13 on Dec 26, 2017

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

We need to create a wiki to try and keep all of this straight.

quote:

"Just as Satan has foreseen ... what of Ra?"

"He and Isis are instructing the humanoids in the Forbidden Knowledge and establishing the first Mystery School."

Oh no! They're creating the first detective fiction!

australiar
Dec 21, 2017

by Smythe
a blue fire burns inside this man

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
Chapter 4 explains some of the apparent contradictions that I mentioned last time, but it raises more questions than it answers:

Page 29 posted:

The earth has seen many ages come and go, its inhabitants unable to grasp the light and intellect of its Creator, thus causing them to fall into darkness and ultimately, be destroyed. Each age is devastated by some kind of cataclysm such as meteorite or flood or by enormous earthquakes, or extreme changes in climate. After the destruction, God raises up another age dotted with new creatures, including many different forms of humanoids such as the Java man, the Neanderthal, and other forms of cave dwellers.

Each age of the humanoid kingdoms has had influence and interaction by the Angelic Kingdoms, both Holy and Unholy. In this sixth dispensation, the Earth is brimming with life and flourishing with humanoid kingdoms just like ages past. It's a self described Golden Age of the gods, for the fallen Angels have successfully infiltrated and integrated among the humanoids called, Cro-Magnon, helping them create massive empires, where they are worshiped as deity.

Setting aside that "Java Man" is an exceptionally archaic name for Homo erectus and that the Cro-Magnon fossils are just Homo sapiens, this is a ridiculous way to approach paleontology or the Bible or anything at all. Is the idea that Homo erectus didn't evolve into Homo sapiens but was raised up, destroyed, and replaced by divine fiat to look like evolution? Has the war in which Earth "was laid to waste" happened in each "dispensation" or just this one? If it happened in all of them, were there previous Satans before Lucifer got his turn? What happened to them? If it only happened this time around, where did the "Unholy" angels come from before, and why didn't they have a war? If these Cro-Magnon "humanoids" are living in the dispensation before humans, why do they have human cultures like Egypt? And how has Robinson spun all of this out of the first verse and a half of the Bible?

Robinson blathers on about more ancient alien crap (in addition to Egypt, the angels have raised up "the kingdoms of Inca Gold", which somehow cover "lands that one day many millenniums from now, will be known as Peru, Mexico, and Central America") before revealing "the grandest empire of the humanoids, Atlantis":

Page 30 posted:

Atlantis is a civilization unequaled in knowledge and opulence. There, skilled metal workers create the most intricate detail ever known, as agriculturists cultivate the sweetest scented orchards ever seen. Wild animals tamed by the Angels, live freely among the humanoids and flourish. Stunning mansions made of bright white and red stone line the city, out done only by the Grand Palace and Poseidon's Temple. The sprawling Palace compound is pure splendor and was built and is protected by Atlas, the demon son of Poseidon.

Robinson spends a few more paragraphs describing Atlantis, which naturally segues into the unrelated city of EnSidious (once again, in the land of Vegan):

Page 30 posted:

Within the sinister city of EnSidious, the mysterious murky dark gods reside and keep their temple. These horrific vampiric demons, these vicious creatures practice the secret mysteries of the Serpent and lust after the blood of strange flesh. They are evil, depraved, and live without shame in obscene darkness so black, that the most evil minds in the universe shutter at its presence. Their very DNA is encoded with decadent brutal ungodliness; they are the very stench of vile sin, the very seeds of filth, the very flies of Satan.

In EnSidious is the temple of Babel, where Satan has come to take a look at the genetic engineering project of Lord Iniquitous:

Page 31 posted:

The huge doors open causing the lights in the tunnel to fade from red to blue, while the guards take their positions outside the elevator. The evil Emperor enters the most secret biophysics lab in the star system. The futuristic structure is alive and humming with some of the most sophisticated computers known to exist. Large and small Grey's feed information via pulse lasers to impulse receptors, which shoot down to the mainframe computer known as V-Scepter. This lower chamber of bizarre wonder houses genetic engineering equipment, clean rooms and state of the art robotics. Satan moves along a causeway, lined with oval glass containers measuring five feet wide and six feet tall. Inside each incubator lies Velosoraptors or a small T-Rex, and there are hundreds of them. An eight foot tall Grey known as Omega 7 approaches the dark king and bows.

Given that Robinson doesn't believe that humans and dinosaurs coexisted, is this supposed to be where the ones in this story come from? Satan is growing vicious carnivores for use in battle, but up to this point, we've only seen herbivores living peacefully in a "Jurassic style neighborhood" and alongside Egyptians. Was that Satan's work? Why? The ancient alien stuff is supposed to be subverting humanity (hominidity?) in some way, if the ominous treatment of the "Mystery School" is anything to go by, but what part would harmless dinosaurs ever play in that?

Omega 7 spends far too much time dryly explaining DNA to Satan (and getting it wrong, unless I'm seriously mistaken and every organism on Earth has 23 pairs of chromosomes) before getting to the dinosaurs:

Page 32 posted:

"We are dealing with minute particles, about the size of a pinhead, yet it contains information equivalent to about six billion chemical letters. So we have taken some of the DNA of the Dinosaurs and genetically altered it by splicing it with Draconian DNA and the results are electrifying if not staggering.

I suppose that dragons genetically splice with dinosaurs better than, say, frogs would... but if you already have dragons, wouldn't bringing back dinosaurs just be gilding the lily?

Satan and Omega 7 then wander through a conversation that's notably disjointed even for this book. This is going to be a long quote, but the chapter is short enough that I'll allow myself the indulgence:

Pages 32-33 posted:

"Good." Satan responds as he walks past cages that house full grown Tyrannosaurus Rex's, which recoil in fear.

"As you can see my lord we have brought to life many of the forbidden lizards, the flesh eating giants, and this time, they are encoded with the intellectual evil from your seeds of filth."

"Yes, I can feel their hate, feel their wickedness, it gives me power! Tell me of Faith."

"Faith, from what we can tell is a true living substance, which emanates from Yeshua Himself. The concept of Faith does not just believe in something ... it's a language, the language of God."

"The Word created everything, and what is a word, it's a sound vibration, which we cannot see, but yet we know it's there because we hear it. These sound waves, though unseen, are geometrical and mathematical musical notes that fill the universe. Geometry encompasses shapes; mathematics is the understandable explanation of how these systems work, and music, the vibration essence of all matter, and energy is motion. Faith is the knowledge of the true nature of matter which it creates, before it organizes in the universe of reality. So in essence, Faith is the substance of things not seen ... but how to tap into faith is still a mystery."

"We must conquer faith and all its secrets." Satan urges. "Tell me of the Scroll."

"The Torah is truly a Journey of Secrets ... we know very little. What we have concluded thus far is the Scroll is alive ... it's a template that contains the entire DNA encoding of history, and life in the universe from its inception to its conclusion as a conscious system. The wisdom contained therein is the foundation of all including the ancient mysteries. The Scroll is a conduit between this world and the unseen realms in which we traverse. Faith is delivered via the ikonos, which are floating rods of etheric plasma that move in a wave form through the dimensions and deliver the Alpha and Omega codes to the humanoids ... we can not truly fathom this, it's beyond our comprehension."

"But what is its purpose?" Satan demands.

Omega 7 "projects a digital plasma grid from his hand and projects it horizontally like a movie screen", the third time so far that a hologram has been described that way (I ignored one near the end of Chapter 2). He explains to Satan that God is about to make a new creation that will break the cycle of dispensations, which raises the question of why God bothered with six doomed, dead-end races before humans.

Page 33 posted:

"The reason man is so special is because God will fashion him after Himself, made in his image, the image of God ... man will have the very genes of Yahweh."

On the screen Satan watches as the three points of future man, the soul, body and spirit are fused together.

A stricken Satan turns slowly. "Yes, I have heard much of this. We can never allow this to happen ... unleash chaos upon the Earth and let the Uprising begin."

"As you wish." Lord Iniquitous utters.

Finally, the chapter makes one last clunky shift, cutting to Michael at "the Kingdoms outpost known as, the Syrian Plantation" on the planet Tusk, where the war began. The war has turned Tusk to desert, "a horridly hot dust planet made up of gray ash and plum purple sand" - all the way through to the core, apparently.

Pages 33-34 posted:

The huge apricot sun has just settled beneath the horizon turning the atmosphere into a lilac picture of beauty. Michael pulls his aerial transporter into the neutral zone, which divides the Plantation from the rest of Tusk. He abandons the speeder and walks to a small ridge, which looks out over Terra Scorpius, a city of immense wickedness.

"Terra Scorpius ... nest of the dark gods. Blanor, I am coming for you my friend."

Since this chapter is so short and ends so flatly, here's another random excerpt (which might be a spoiler, but who gives a crap?):

Page 112 posted:

The raven-haired princess lets her undiminished splendor shine in its totality, oozing sexuality from every pour of her full figured body, which holds no charm for Gabriel. He approaches her and lifts his gleaming sword to the necklace around her neck.

"The Atlantis symbol for the Forbidden Schools ... just who are you?"

Suddenly Orisis transforms back into the giant Grey, sporting praying mantis type limbs, which he wields two double edged swords of fire.

"Ahhhh!"

Sham bam bamina! fucked around with this message at 14:53 on Dec 27, 2017

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Gonna form a death metal band called Seeds of Evil, and the first song will be "Intellectual Filth".

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

chitoryu12 posted:

Gonna form a death metal band called Seeds of Evil, and the first song will be "Intellectual Filth".

I'll open for you with my prog-rock band Apricot Sun. Our set is just a single 45 minute song called DNA for Satan (Omega 7)

australiar
Dec 21, 2017

by Smythe

quote:

The Torah is truly a Journey of Secrets ... we know very little. What we have concluded thus far is the Scroll is alive ... it's a template that contains the entire DNA encoding of history, and life in the universe from its inception to its conclusion as a conscious system. The wisdom contained therein is the foundation of all including the ancient mysteries. The Scroll is a conduit between this world and the unseen realms in which we traverse. Faith is delivered via the ikonos, which are floating rods of etheric plasma that move in a wave form through the dimensions and deliver the Alpha and Omega codes to the humanoids ... we can not truly fathom this, it's beyond our comprehension.
where has this book been all my life

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

Page 35 posted:

The origin of the dark gods dates back countless eons ago when Satan engaged in orgies with thousands of humanoid females, spreading the seeds of his filth across the civilizations of Earth. These cannibalistic Nephilim are cursed to live in the darkest darkness, their minds consumed by all things horrific and wicked.

These cloaked vampiric demons move in the shadows of secrecy, their putrid skin emanating a stench so vile, it offends the lowest forms of life known. They stand six feet tall and view their victims through sinister black orbs. Their fangs are razor sharp and ooze a thick dark blood like substance. They hunt the weak, their lust for blood is immense, and their desire for strange flesh enflames their senses, for they must kill, their master Satan demands it.

Most of the dark gods reside on the brooding planet Goth in a coven now numbering in the millions. These unnatural creatures are infused with unlimited evil genius and have been commissioned to spread death and chaos throughout the universe.

I love this book so much.

Despite being on Tusk, the city of Terra Scorpius is a "Gothic kingdom" that's basically described as a Tim Burton set (then again, putting "jagged spirals" on pretty much any architecture will turn it into a Tim Burton set). The city's "concreted jungle" is filled with "the sound of a billions sins" and swarms of "fallen Angelic cockroaches" (!), and it is here that poor Blanor is held prisoner:

Page 36 posted:

Hidden in the murky gloom of the lightless night, inside a hellish tomb known as, The Serpents Den, a slaughterhouse of sin and defilement, all forms of strange acts known only to demons are being preformed. Ear shattering Speed metal is blasting as the most perverted acts of blasphemy ever conceived in the soul of Satan are being committed upon the Obscene Circle out on the dance floor. It is here that the Dragon Master, Dark Sidonian Orge, is holding Blanor. He is held in a very small bird like cage reinforced by high intensity ion beams, which hangs over the dance floor. The dark gods and visiting beings of total depravity cheer on the many guards that poke at him with Lightning Sticks.

:black101:

Michael arrives at "the Guttural Provinces" outside the city (at this point, I'm fairly certain that Robinson considers all possible administrative divisions interchangeable), where he finds "carnage left by the dark gods, who have attacked a small village for sport". This small village is somehow littered with "tens of thousands of corpses", many of which are impaled on stakes arranged in pentagram formations. Robinson spends a paragraph describing the slow, horrible process of their execution in graphic detail, which I think the thread can do without. As Michael wonders aloud "what matter of beast" could do this, he is approached and surrounded by a group of them:

Page 37 posted:

The dark gods are wise in the ways of evil, and the black magic known as Demonica, but this great understanding in the forbidden knowledge has blinded them and made them arrogant, for they are about to due battle with the Angel of War, the Archangel of the universe, Michael.

[...]

"You've committed atrocities so vile, the foul stench has reached the nostrils of heaven, and this city stands condemned by a holy and vengeful God!"

They fight. Although the agents of darkness are "maddened by the Satanic DNA coursing through their fibers" and heavily armed, they perish by Michael's flaming sword.

Page 38 posted:

As suddenly as it began it was over ... the mighty Angel falls to his knees and raises his hands to the heavens. A prodigious breeze rushes over him accompanied by a slight whisper.

"I am with you always."

Michael stands up, "My dearest Lord, this place is truly living evil and must be destroyed this night."

Michael returns the sword to its sheathe and sets out to find Blanor.

On Jandella, Raphael and Uriel are meeting atop "the hill of Assertion" with military leaders from the animal nations, "making a pack" to organize opposition to the planet's Satanic takeover:

Page 38 posted:

Jumbla sits, representing the kingdom of the west, the Ape like Hemolite's: Janzeen sits, representing the kingdom of the south, the Cat like Bacirian Tribal Warriors: Nector sits, representing the kingdom of the north, the Pig like Walepts: and Alion sits, representing the kingdom of the east, the Bird like Argonian's.

The two Guardian Knights do not normally interfere with each individual Kingdom Nations politics, but if the Untied Federation of Kingdom Nations is to survive the Satanic Uprising, new tactics must be introduced.

No, I didn't mistype that. I guess that with so many planets falling to Satan, the Federation of Kingdom Nations really is coming apart. :downsrim:

The angels and animals mostly talk about how awful things will be if Satan wins, but Robinson has a surprisingly hard time articulating this. The "dictator" Satan is a "dangerous demagogue" who will simultaneously bring about "anarchy" and "fascism" - Robinson doesn't really know what these things are, but he's pretty sure that they're bad. After a page and a half of this wearying colloquy, the generals of Jandella light a massive torch as a symbol of their resolve, and "the many specie warriors" in the valley below respond by lighting countless torches of their own. It's all very rousing and heartwarming, which is boring, so let's get back to the sordid fun of Terra Scorpius.

Or "Terra Scorpious", as Robinson has now decided to spell it; he does it twice on the same page, so I think he might mean it. Michael makes his way through "the conurbation of dark indulgence" to the Serpents Den, where Dark Sidonian Orge apparently rules the whole city "from his throne of obese lust":

Page 40 posted:

Michael enters the Serpents Den as if he owns the place. The music is loud, the inhabitants insane and their appearance bizarre. Humanoid females, wearing leather collars and not much else consort with the fallen ones and dance in cages. Live beast fight to the death in small pits to the cheers of the crowd, and drugs flow freely as the various mating rituals of the species are practiced right in the open. Vampiric dark gods drink blood from crystal goblets and eat cubed sized bits of flesh taken from their victims.

Michael will have none of this, and the crowd parts in fear as he strides toward Orge. "The Dark Lord, who's covered in humanoid females" ignores the angel's demand for Blanor's release, so Michael silences and illuminates the building as a gesture of power.

Page 41 posted:

Breaking the heavy silence is the lone clapping of Dark Sidonian Orge.

"Very good my friend, manipulating the functions of this club ... you must be versed in the art of Demonica?"

"Only the dark gods practice the ancient black art Demonica, I use the SOURCE."

...Did anyone think we'd make it through another chapter without running into Star Wars again?

Michael threatens to "summons Yeshua" if Orge doesn't cooperate, so Orge lets him open Blanor's cage before immediately ordering the guards to kill the angels. This is a fatal mistake, and I can only do the consequences justice by transcribing the whole page:

Page 42 posted:

Beyond the celestial sea from the navel of Heaven, Michael summons a power beyond any ever known on Tusk. Suddenly rivers of rushing fire swirl in and around the dark warriors, in whirlwinds of gushing destruction. Crystal light radiates from everywhere, but yet seems to emanate from nowhere. The dealers of sin try to shield their eyes as Michael comes forth from the light itself, glistening brighter than a trillion suns. His hair seems to be a raging fire; an ocean of righteous anger illuminates everything and surges from his diamond eyes of power. His chest is as gleaming sapphire, his legs are as flaming emeralds, and his arms are as glistening turquoise, his feet as rubies, and his face blazes like a sun of holy vengeance.

Before anyone can fully grasp the severity of the situation raging pillars of fire discharge from the open palms of the Angel incinerating everyone it touches. The dark gods run, only to be overwhelmed by the flames fury. A high voltage super storm is unleashed from the frenzied eyes of the Michael, its intensity sucking the loathsome beasts in the room towards the power source, who has been transformed into a hurricane of nuclear fusion. Dark Sidonian Orge is hit by a multi mega ton power surge of nuclear fire that liquefies his body in a matter of a few horrific moments.

Michael raises his hands heavenward with his palms open, sending a bombardment of nuclear fire high into the night sky, that rains down on the rest of the city. Suddenly the entire city blows outward in an awesome volcanic eruption of nuclear power, melting everything in sight. Within the intense furnace Michael and Blanor ascend, as the very ground underneath them opens up, swallowing the fallen Angels, the dark gods and the sin infested beings.

"You were the sons of God! You were chosen by God, created by Him, you had everything!" Michael yells through his pain, for though he does his righteous duty, he does not enjoy sending anyone to the Realms of Hell.

Abruptly it ends and instantly Michael is transformed back to his normal state, just hovering over the destruction.

"Thank you Michael." Blanor says, not geting a response. "They chose their path and received the judgment of that choice."

"Yes ... and we have chosen our path, and now our path leads us to Earth."

Sham bam bamina! fucked around with this message at 12:25 on Dec 28, 2017

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
I've gotta say, if the guy considers speed metal the most satanic music, someone really ought to broaden his horizons.
Also God's power apparently manifests as nukes. Who knew?

vaguely
Apr 29, 2013

hot_squirting_honey.gif

i love the dialogue in this thing
it all has the cadence of a bored teenager being asked to read aloud from a textbook

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

I wonder how long it took those dark gods to arrange 10,000 corpses into pentagrams. Were they big pentagrams or did they just use one body for each line?

Also I think I found the soundtrack for evil:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NfXmy6YCnZc

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

chitoryu12 posted:

I wonder how long it took those dark gods to arrange 10,000 corpses into pentagrams. Were they big pentagrams or did they just use one body for each line?
It's specifically the staked corpses that are arranged like that, so the pentagrams would have to be pretty big. The rest are just "strewn all over".

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

Page 43 posted:

The Orion Nebula is a cosmic gateway to infinity, the Divine Realm that transcends the space and time universe. There, millions of ships vortex in and out of the time matrix, traversing past Sirius and Nemesis on their way to Earth.

Among the Angels traveling to and fro are the fallen armies of Satan, the Draco-Reptilians, known as Draconians. These sorceresses of immense wickedness are repulsive in appearance, standing nearly six feet tall with slightly cone shaped heads, covered with small horns. Their eyes are serpentine slits that morph from black orbs, to blazing flames of seething hatred. They have claw like talons emerging from their three fingers, and hooked feet and have small lizard like tails. They're covered in scales, those on the chest being thick and hard like a breast plate of armor, the others are flexible like that of slithering snakes. They are a dark putrid green or crimson red in color and smell of sulfur. The eyes are comprised of thousands of microscopic facets, which filter out powerful light sources. They thrive on drugs such as cocaine, black opium, heroin, and the humanoid endorphins created during the mating ceremony.

These junkie sex dragons of Satan are "genetic blood drinkers, especially menstrual blood", can shape-shift and "vortex" between universes, and are masters of genetic engineering. They would probably be an intimidating foe if six nine-foot Reptilians hadn't been immediately killed when they attacked Raphael and Uriel outside the arena in Chapter 3. (Also, while the Draconians are called "sorceresses" here, I believe that that's an auto-correction to some mangled typo of "sorcerers", since the same thing happened when Robinson tried to write about the sorcerers of Egypt a few chapters ago.)

The Draconians are revered as gods by the primitive peoples of Earth, even as "deadly Velosoraptors" ravage the villages and "giant T-Rex's hunt in packs" (nope). The Draconians' reach stretches across the globe, including Mesoamerica:

Page 44 posted:

The pre-Mayan civilizations in the far off jungles of the West, gather at the immense astronomically aligned pyramidal axis known as, 'The Way Of The Dead', which sits between the pyramid of the moon and the pyramid of the sun. The Indians beat their drums and dance to their god Noctunious in the Black Mass ritual, Feast Of The Virgin Birth. The pre-Mayan nations, with the instruction of Noctunious, have built a society that exhibits prodigious engineering feats including the bar-and-dot calendrical code.

The night is dark and the ancient Mayan's are in a frenzy, gyrating to the voodoo rhythm among the flaming torches that line the stone walkway, which leads to the alter of death in a pyramid compound known as the Serpents Sanctuary. The Indians are dressed in a bright array of colors and are adorned in the finest jewelry of the day. Their huge feathered headdresses seem to gyrate to the rhythmic night in some kind of ritualistic duet with the ones wearing them.

I don't believe that either the Maya or "pre-Mayan nations", of which these people are apparently both - and let's not forget that Robinson has already established "the kingdoms of Inca Gold" as covering this area - worshiped a god named Noctunious (or practiced voodoo, for that matter), so I'm at a loss as to why Robinson gave the character that name. It's especially strange because Noctunious is accompanied by "Xiuhcoatl, the fire serpents, which emanate burning rays capable of dismembering humanoids" - that's an Aztec name, but it's at least something. Given that both the Maya and Aztecs worshiped serpent gods (Kukulkan and Quetzalcoatl), it makes no sense that Robinson would pass that up for this goofiness, but I guess nonsensical goofiness has been his MO so far.

The depraved Draconian demands blood sacrifice from the humanoids. They drag a prisoner to the altar and present Noctunious with a virgin priestess, who is given a golden chalice. As Noctunious brutally cuts the heart from the man on the altar, the priestess fills the chalice with her blood (an act that is conspicuously not described; take that as you will).

Page 45 posted:

"This is the flesh of the one who will come, and the blood of the precious womb that holds him." Noctunious yells as he holds the heart and cup high into the night air.

The fallen Angel eats the heart and drinks of the cup and shape-shifts into a beautiful humanoid male, and lays with the virgin, as the Indians become lost in a demonic euphoria.

So it goes.

Meanwhile, Satan has invaded... somewhere:

Page 45 posted:

On the far side of Earth the military might of Satan has landed within reach of the Angelic city of Andoria undetected, for you see, Andoria is a peaceful city, a city of worship.

I'm sure that Robinson meant Andorra (he also mentions Gerona), but I really want this to be the Star Trek planet, shrunk to the size of a city and populated by angels. The angelic general Gideon (is Robinson saying that the Gideon of the Bible was named after an angel?) and his soldiers look on as the invaders approach, "led by Lord Hideous":

Page 45 posted:

A dense fog settles in the valley, eerily hanging at the base of the trees of the Ahava forest. Through the dense mist, the Angels can hear the grunts, bellows, and roars of monsters past. The Angels try to focus on the shadows that move in the miasma, in the hopes of catching a good look at what kind of beast is approaching them. To their utter amazement, emerging out of the murkiness are the Serpentine Centurions, charging on foot with great speed, some of them riding gigantic T-Rex's and small Velosoraptors.

Intense eyes are kept upon the approaching enemy, as itchy ears await the command ...

"FIRE!!!" Gideon screams.

For some reason, the armies' "nitro gunfire" quickly blankets the valley in thick smoke, in addition to the mist. Is "nitro gunfire" deliberately distinct from the "nitro laser fire" in Chapter 1? Are these angels shooting with black powder?

The armies charge at each other "with nitro guns blasting and swords slicing":

Page 46 posted:

Shrieks of pain flow from the murky confusion someplace out of Gideon's eyesight, which reinforces his resolve. But there is not much he can do as the soldiers are floundering on top of one another. Gideon lays hands to his sword and repeatedly strikes a fallen Angel, until it's a bludgeoned mess. Gideon cannot see a thing through the smoke, he coughs relentlessly as tears stream from his eyes. Dark Angel after dark Angel wields death in the face of Gideon, only to be cut down by his gleaming sword. However, the numbers of the enemy are just too great ... the Royal Army is quickly run over by a chaotic stampede the likes of which none of them had ever seen before.

While the walled city is protected from the foot soldiers, its "Electro-Nuclear Power Stations" (which supply the city with "more than five billion volts of power" - nope) are outside it on a nearby ridge. Through a "communication bio-tele-sender", the angels' Captain Ulm orders the stations powered up to "pyramidal force" (?), but Venom fighters suddenly swoop in "in ancient attack formation" and destroy them. This appears to have no significance, as no effects of this are described and the city's defenses remain fully powered, but I guess it's a bad thing.

After some terrible Star Wars chatter between the angels manning the city's cannons ("Gold I, This is Gold II ..."), the Venom fighters abruptly pull away, and the real firepower approaches:

Page 47 posted:

"Land Destroyers in Red Zone 1, engage! Engage!"

The Armored Triad Assault Destroyers stand over 300 feet high and are a mammoth 600 feet in width. Each Destroyer is constructed from a 100 million tons of reinforced black diamond alloyed steel and travels upon elongated wheels, which have six foot long protruding metal spikes, that helps the gigantic machines travel quickly upon all different kinds of terrain. Mounted with 30-meter Mercury Cannons and Meg IV atomic launchers, the Land Destroyers are unstoppable.

The Land Destroyers make their way across the outer defenses, crushing everything that stands in their way. Venom fighters plunge in behind the Destroyers with meteoric speed taking out the defense towers. A merciless onslaught begins, as the ultra thermal heat from the innumerable explosions turns the solid ground into liquid fire. A relentless and ruthless barrage of fiery discharges smash down upon Captain Ulm and his troops.

"Stand firm by the wall!" Ulm commands.

The angels do not stand firm for long before "the most fervent explosion ever encountered by the Royal Army" destroys the wall with a single blast of "volcanic heat", and the city falls to the horde of Lord Hideous.

Sham bam bamina! fucked around with this message at 13:14 on Dec 30, 2017

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

How do you keep going in the face of... this?

For some reason this lept out and assaulted my think-meats.

quote:

The Armored Triad Assault Destroyers stand over 300 feet high and are a mammoth 600 feet in width. Each Destroyer is constructed from a 100 million tons of reinforced black diamond alloyed steel and travels upon elongated wheels, which have six foot long protruding metal spikes, that helps the gigantic machines travel quickly upon all different kinds of terrain.

Actually not "some reason"

That much weight on such a small footprint should, at the very least, deform the earth's surface if not punch through the crust altogether.

Leaving that aside, I'm guessing there's more than one but even if there's only that one not that much mass changing position on the surface of the earth is probably enough to change the planet's moment of inertia, seriously loving with the rotation of the earth.

I'm not even touching the "black diamond alloyed steel"

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

The extremely detailed descriptions that defy any kind of logic makes it sound like he's actually describing something seen in a hallucination.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Wouldn't go that far, the AT-AD seems to be another Star Wars reference that he didn't think through. I do admit I have a pretty hard time imagining what the spikes are supposed to be for, though.

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

Proteus Jones posted:

How do you keep going in the face of... this?
How do I keep going? How could I stop? This book is a singular masterpiece that gives me nothing but joy, dry as my commentary might be - the ideal form of this thread is simply a complete transcription of the book, and only because the act of buying everyone copies isn't a forum thread. (australiar is the one poster who seems to really get why I'm doing this.) The only thing that dampens my enthusiasm is the way that discussion has dropped off since Christmas. The topic gets plenty of views but very few responses to the updates, which takes a lot of the fun of sharing out of it. That's why I've been spacing the updates out more, although it doesn't seem to make a difference. :sigh:

anilEhilated posted:

Wouldn't go that far, the AT-AD seems to be another Star Wars reference that he didn't think through. I do admit I have a pretty hard time imagining what the spikes are supposed to be for, though.
I don't think that chitoryu12's comment is specifically about that as much as about every description, and I think that it's pretty reasonable in light of that angelic visitation in the introduction. Plus, there's so much that I'm leaving out; just about any time that you see a paragraph describing a location, imagine two more rambling on about the sacred geometric alignment of the oil fountains or the 10,000 gold-plated pearl skyscrapers or who knows what. It's like looking at one of those really complicated Howard Finster paintings where he just blobbed down every object or detail he could think of as symmetrically as possible and scrawled Bible verses all over it.

Sham bam bamina! fucked around with this message at 23:15 on Dec 30, 2017

Ninurta
Sep 19, 2007
What the HELL? That's my cutting board.

Sham bam bamina! posted:

Page 46 posted:
Shrieks of pain flow from the murky confusion someplace out of Gideon's eyesight, which reinforces his resolve. But there is not much he can do as the soldiers are floundering on top of one another. Gideon lays hands to his sword and repeatedly strikes a fallen Angel, until it's a bludgeoned mess. Gideon cannot see a thing through the smoke, he coughs relentlessly as tears stream from his eyes. Dark Angel after dark Angel wields death in the face of Gideon, only to be cut down by his gleaming sword. However, the numbers of the enemy are just too great ... the Royal Army is quickly run over by a chaotic stampede the likes of which none of them had ever seen before.

So many contradictions in this...paragraph? However, it did make me think of those Frank Franzetta poster's of Conan standing on a giant pile of his enemies with smoke in the background as he looks on in triumph.

However, this book is not deserving of such a poster.

This book gets Groo.

Thank you for taking the effort to read this Sham bam bamina!. I'm interested to see just how far down the crazy track this book goes.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Yeah, take heart from the views.

I think a lot of the lack of commentary is it's hard to write coherently when the brain is stunned from the contents of this book. I know I have to focus on a specific passage in my comments. If I tried to address your summary and quotes as a whole, I'd lock up in indecision on what to address first and how far down the rabbit hole I'd go. I'm afraid I'd start and still be writing two days later in a state of numb outrage at this all-out assault on not only narrative fiction, but on the English language as a whole.

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

Yeah, there's honestly not a lot to say except HOLY gently caress while I stare in slackjawed awe at this ungodly mashup of the Bible, Star Wars and Helena Blavatsky hitting the reindeer piss like a dinosaur-splatting asteroid..

I love you for doing this, there's just not much I can actually say.

australiar
Dec 21, 2017

by Smythe
i really appreciate the hard work you're putting into this and i wish i could say something less basic than "this is amazing" but it's really all i can say lmao

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Proteus Jones posted:

Yeah, take heart from the views.

I think a lot of the lack of commentary is it's hard to write coherently when the brain is stunned from the contents of this book. I know I have to focus on a specific passage in my comments. If I tried to address your summary and quotes as a whole, I'd lock up in indecision on what to address first and how far down the rabbit hole I'd go. I'm afraid I'd start and still be writing two days later in a state of numb outrage at this all-out assault on not only narrative fiction, but on the English language as a whole.

It really takes effort to parse this. Even without the spelling and grammatical mistakes, it's as dense as uranium and spilling over with superfluous and sometimes seemingly impossible detail. Trying to build a mental image of the scene in your mind is like sensory overload.

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

chitoryu12 posted:

It really takes effort to parse this. Even without the spelling and grammatical mistakes, it's as dense as uranium and spilling over with superfluous and sometimes seemingly impossible detail. Trying to build a mental image of the scene in your mind is like sensory overload.

It's really not that dense

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
Yeah, this is nothing. The other day, I found a used copy of a book called When Gods Walk Among Us, by Raoul Peter Mongilardi, and every page I flipped to was just an impenetrable mess of proper nouns - I'm not exaggerating when I say that there's probably an average of at least one per sentence - and jargon; I could barely read any of it without at least having started at the beginning (and probably keeping a notebook handy). I actually might end up buying it at some point, since it turned out to have a surprising amount of positive reception on the Internet for something so outwardly off-putting, but, good or bad, it would never work here.

At the other end of the scale, you have simple but mind-numbingly homogeneous mush like Ulillillia's The Legend of the 10 Elemental Masters, which is immediately readable in the same way that a phone book or a manual is immediately readable. It's definitely an interesting book, but again, it's not something that can really be shared this way.

War of the Archangels, despite its histrionics, is a book that communicates effectively and engagingly, regardless of what it's communicating. Robinson can barely type (at this point, I think that his ineptitude at usage and punctuation can probably be chalked up to dyslexia), but his sentences have nicely varied structures and always do their part to push the story along (until he gets carried away with setting a scene). And it is a story that he's telling! It's a ridiculous, shallow, pulpy story, but there's always something happening and a clearly motivated character who's making it happen. There is so, so much amateur writing out there that's both boring to read and boring in its substance (like we found out when On Matissia Wings wasn't hundreds of pages of Shartball and chybuts) that I honestly applaud Chris Robinson for having a big, crazy idea and and writing a small, crazy book about it without letting the energy ever flag. This is the kind of book that I'm always hoping to get when I pull an ugly, printed-on-demand paperback off the shelf.

GoodyTwoShoes
Oct 26, 2013
Robinson seems to put a lot of effort into trying not to repeat his adjectives. This would be nice if it didn't result in things like "fervent explosion" and bludgeoning someone with a sharp sword. Maybe just take his thesaurus away?

Speaking as an action movie fan, I don't think I've ever seen a fervent explosion. (Tons of giant fireballs from little hand grenades, of course.)

australiar
Dec 21, 2017

by Smythe
imo robinson has legit writing talent that could probably be nurtured into something great, but the nurturer would have to be supernaturally patient and not prone to nervousness or fatigue. hopefully one of these days he'll be visited by an angel (again) and next thing you know he'll be the king david of the 21st century

Tulul
Oct 23, 2013

THAT SOUND WILL FOLLOW ME TO HELL.

chitoryu12 posted:

The extremely detailed descriptions that defy any kind of logic makes it sound like he's actually describing something seen in a hallucination.

Hyper-specific descriptions of everything is very Biblical, although it's hard to tell if that's intentional or the byproduct of bad writing.

1 Kings 6 posted:

1 In the four hundred and eightieth year after the Israelites came out of Egypt, in the fourth year of Solomon’s reign over Israel, in the month of Ziv, the second month, he began to build the temple of the Lord.
2 The temple that King Solomon built for the Lord was sixty cubits long, twenty wide and thirty high.
3 The portico at the front of the main hall of the temple extended the width of the temple, that is twenty cubits, and projected ten cubits from the front of the temple.
4 He made narrow windows high up in the temple walls.
5 Against the walls of the main hall and inner sanctuary he built a structure around the building, in which there were side rooms.
6 The lowest floor was five cubits wide, the middle floor six cubits and the third floor seven. He made offset ledges around the outside of the temple so that nothing would be inserted into the temple walls.
7 In building the temple, only blocks dressed at the quarry were used, and no hammer, chisel or any other iron tool was heard at the temple site while it was being built.
8 The entrance to the lowest floor was on the south side of the temple; a stairway led up to the middle level and from there to the third.
9 So he built the temple and completed it, roofing it with beams and cedar planks.
10 And he built the side rooms all along the temple. The height of each was five cubits, and they were attached to the temple by beams of cedar.
38 In the eleventh year in the month of Bul, the eighth month, the temple was finished in all its details according to its specifications. He had spent seven years building it.

For the sake of the OP, hopefully the book won't go into lineages.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Tulul posted:

Hyper-specific descriptions of everything is very Biblical, although it's hard to tell if that's intentional or the byproduct of bad writing.

For the sake of the OP, hopefully the book won't go into lineages.

Has there been any indication of why the Bible got into such specific measurements?

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

chitoryu12 posted:

Has there been any indication of why the Bible got into such specific measurements?

It was a fusion of mythology and simple history (because the distinction wasn’t strictly drawn back then). You see that kind of exactitude in a bunch of history books.

Also, sometimes, the numbers had spiritual/poetic significance, because Judaism was pretty big on that.

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
A new year, a new chapter.

Chapter 7 begins with Chris Robinson's vision of Heaven. If there's one place where it's appropriate for him to ramble, it's here, and I'll be generous with my transcription:

Page 48 posted:

Heaven, the eternal city of God sits in he furthest regions of the North, inside the walls of a quantum universe parallel to the one the earth resides in. Heaven is divided into two separated regions, one being an enormous enclosed garden planet called Eden, which is four times the size of earth. This virtual paradise is inhabited by most of the Angelic citizens, carefully cultivating exquisite plants, animals, music, and art. The perfection of earth is but a mirrored reflection of the walled park, a mere shadow of its immense mind boggling superlative flawlessness.

It's an astounding place, stunning in its beauty with huge flowing hills of velvet grass cascading over the horizon, breaking at the shores of the mighty forest of Asher. The robust Redwood and Cinnabar trees reach 400 feet above the surface in perfect symmetrical rows. Flowers of every kind are alive and dance to the rhythm of Heavens music, radiating colors not known to the earth regions. Great tropical islands bathe in translucent seas of pure turquoise, where the Dolphins play and exotic succulent fruit is grown in abundance.

Mammoth mountain ranges reach eighty thousand feet into the sky, which declare the Glory of God as monumental canons, cut two miles deep into the purple sand stone of Gilgal, speak of the Royal bloodline that will soon leave the realms of this grand place. Everything is alive and active, the trees, the flowers, the very rocks, all permeated with the light of God and emanate His nature and life force back unto Him.

Suspended in the atmosphere above Paradise is the eternal city itself. It's a gargantuan Golden Pyramidal City measuring 1,400 miles in length, width, and height. It stands 600,000 stories tall, and is able to house countless skyscrapers, towers, temples, living quarters, and the Throne of Yahweh Himself.

[...]

In the center of the city, on atop of a golden apex, sits the Throne of God, where He, Yeshua, and the Spirit of Living Fire reside. The Glory of God shines as a trillion galaxies, His life giving light permeating all things, sustaining them, infusing them with His power. From the Throne flows the River of Life, cascading down the hilltop, right through the middle to the city, where it splinters off into numerous tributaries and canals, which feeds the entire city with its life giving power and abundance.

The city, which is "nothing short of visual and sensual magnificence to the grandest degree", has 216-foot-thick walls built from twelve types of precious stones. 216 feet, of course, is roughly converted from 144 cubits; I'm surprised that Robinson left that up to me to figure out. Each wall incorporates three "Stargates, where the Angels vortex in and out of the time matrix by tunneling through the space—time continuum via wormholes". The angels of the city "go to and fro, either walking among the buildings, flying on their own power, or by air ship" and are dressed in robes, coats, and capes of every color. Processions "with full drum cores and multiple flag bearers" circuit the streets in constant praise of God.

In this time of crisis, the Guardian Knights have been called to "the Court of Judgments" for a meeting in "the hall of Supreme Justice", a "stately spherical room made of ivory, marble, polished white sandstone and burnished cobalt onyx". Curiously, this place is adorned with "statues of the mighty Angels, who became famous during the infamous Wars of the Third Heaven and, first war of the species." I guess the questions I had for Chapter 4 about previous angelic wars are starting to be answered? Maybe? Whatever, it's finally time for some badass Old Testament angels! (And God!)

Page 50 posted:

In the center of the marble floor the Guardian Knight insignia proclaims its majesty, while burning candles in ornate diamond and gold candelabrums and menorahs encircle the insignia. Seated around the candles facing each other are the Elders, each Guardian Knight standing behind his mentor. The Cherubs are living creatures, humanoid in nature, but have four faces and six wings. They contain the hands of the humanoids, and the frontal face is like that of mortal man, but they also have the face of a lion on the right side of their head, the face of an ox on the left side and the face of an eagle facing backwards. They are the most powerful Angelic creatures, except for the mysterious six-winged Seraphim. The Cherubs are wise, ferocious and protectors of the Shekinah gate, but their primary function is to be the living chariot of God; they are the bearers of his throne.

Sitting in the center of the undivided circle is Yeshua, the Supreme King and living Word of Yahweh. Yeshua Himself is multi-dimensional and can converse at many different points of presence simultaneously. He hums with power and seems to glow from the inside out, but for the sake of the assembly, He withholds His power.

No word on the resemblance of His glow to a night light's, unfortunately.

The angels, including one named Apocrypha, discuss the battles raging across the stars, even as far as "the Otter Regions". "Sounds like war of the species part two," Gabriel remarks. The angels are disheartened, but Yeshua tells them that this whole order is about to end:

Pages 51-52 posted:

"You wonder why I allow the war to continue ... I do not want a Kingdom built on fear and distrust. I want to be loved because I am worthy of love, and I want to give you love ... because I want to. There are many things, which you do not need to know, but there are others that you may. Knowledge is the function of the Spirit; emotion is tied to the soul. The Mystery of Elohim will be explained in the new creation called, Man. Man will be created in the very image of the Trinity, for He too will be a trinity, consisting of body, soul and spirit. I the living Word, the Holy Son will one day reside within man. The living Spirit of Fire will be the pillar of passion that connects heaven and earth; He will be the energy source that communicates between God and man. My Spirit will come to live with the soul of the ones who follow Me, and be the communication link between his body and the source of eternal life."

"You speak of another humanoid race?" Michael inquires.

"No mere humanoid, but a human my dear Michael. A living man infused with the very Genes and DNA of the Absolute Trinity."

God then tells the angels that the world of humans will be "how the universe should have worked from the beginning" - again, God seems very short-sighted to have gone to the trouble of all these faulty creations so far - and dispatches them to EnSidious. While you're figuring out what "humanoid" could possibly mean without the reference point of "human" or what "human" could mean in a world that's only seen humanoids, have some poetry!

Page 52 posted:

Suddenly emanating from the swirling spirit of light is a loud voice that proclaims to the future generations the proclamations of God.

"Living in the realm of power:
Heaven in His hand
Universe within His eyes:
Souls of every man."

"Power beyond imagination:
Majestic wisdom for every situation,
Is the Mind, body and soul of the
Almighty immortal sea."

Shortly afterward, the archangel Mars is studying history in "the great Hall of Knowledge", the angelic library, where "the endless rows of holding units [...] tower 300 feet to the top of the vaulted ceilings". It probably would be difficult to reach most of the catalog on such high shelving - would be, without using the SOURCE:

Pages 52-53 posted:

An Angelic mind releases kinetic energy, which reverberates through the surrounding atmosphere, much like musical notes being played on an instrument. This kinetic energy when infused with the workings of faith can transpose itself into a physical manifestation, in this case by causing the books in question to un-shelf themselves and to glide over to the observation table.

Mars concentrates on one volume in particular, causing it to discharge from its holding portal, and take to the air, soaring over to his table, where he opens the digital pages. The live book does just that, comes alive with moving projection holograms and living charters, a full musical score, including a narrator, a humanoid looking man simply called the guide. Mars is lost in thought, as he watches a battle of the species take place, when undetected Neptune obtains a seat next to the Archangel.

"I see you've found the volume of the great war of the species." Neptune interjects.

"Fascinating ... the fact that Satan led a full scale war with trolls, elves, dwarfs and gnomes is just amazing."

Neptune takes the opportunity to sort-of answer more of my questions from Chapter 4 and raise a whole lot more:

Page 53 posted:

"Yes ... the world in it's first dispensation was filled with all kinds of creatures, unicorns, Elves, Trolls and the likes ... Lucifer wanted to rule them harshly, but God would not allow it. So Lucifer devised a plan to take the Throne, he thought if he could control faith and the system in which it works he could create life or stop the creation process of the Creator, thus nullifying His power. Many believed this idea and war ensued in which the earth was destroyed. God granted Satan the earth and then filled it with dinosaurs and turned Satan into a Winged Serpentine Dragon. God's humor I guess, making Satan the king of the lizards and turning him into one."

I have so many questions right now (particularly how Satan was back to being Lucifer and in charge of the other angels by the time of this story, another war and four destroyed dispensations later), but there's Star Wars to get to. Neptune, you see, has come here to tell Mars (Anakin) that he should be a full-fledged Guardian Knight (Jedi Master) and that the Counsel (Council) are blindly keeping him down. And, of course, this dissatisfaction that Neptune is cultivating wouldn't be complete without the facet of forbidden love:

Page 54 posted:

Sensing the Archangels frustration and uneasiness in being kept locked up like this Neptune manipulates a volume of his own to the table and opens it. Unexpectedly a scene of a beautiful Cro-Magnon woman kissing a well-built male begins to play itself out in front of Mars.

Neptune leans into him. "Ever wonder what it's like to be one of them?"

"Who? The humanoids ... no, they are weak and nasty, barley above the animals they kill."

"Yes, but their mating rituals are fascinating.... and the female humanoids are succulent. Look at her, she's radiant, listen to her moans, she wants to be ravaged, taken by a horse, not some puny humanoid."

"You speak in vulgarities, I should have you turned over to the Council for suggesting ..."

"For suggesting what ... what you know you want to experience but cannot because in this form God made you a neutered asexual being? This is the path to genetic immortality my dear friend ... you won't turn me in, no if you were going to you already would have. In the end, the thought is just too tantalizing to reject out right."

Mars gives Neptune a stern look, but then under tremendous pressure gives a slight grin, as he turns back to the moaning female humanoid in front of him.

Neptune's eyes, which seem full of holiness and innocence glaze over becoming super charged black orbs of seething hate. "Good my friend, good."

Sham bam bamina! fucked around with this message at 04:04 on Jan 2, 2018

australiar
Dec 21, 2017

by Smythe

Darth Walrus posted:

It was a fusion of mythology and simple history (because the distinction wasn’t strictly drawn back then). You see that kind of exactitude in a bunch of history books.

Also, sometimes, the numbers had spiritual/poetic significance, because Judaism was pretty big on that.
the numbers are real, the significance is underlined by their inclusion in the book, so we know they mean something but it's left up to us to guess what it is

australiar
Dec 21, 2017

by Smythe
i want to make an illuminated manuscript with this guy

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

quote:

"Yes, but their mating rituals are fascinating.... and the female humanoids are succulent. Look at her, she's radiant, listen to her moans, she wants to be ravaged, taken by a horse, not some puny humanoid."

Yep. There it is.

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

Proteus Jones posted:

Yep. There it is.

Is he even slightly wrong?

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

australiar posted:

the numbers are real, the significance is underlined by their inclusion in the book, so we know they mean something but it's left up to us to guess what it is
Seven is important because of the week of Creation. Twelve is important because of the tribes of Israel. 40 is the number of days of rain in Noah's flood and the number of years the Hebrews spent in the wilderness after leaving Egypt. Three has more of a rhetorical or logical significance (particularly the "rule of three" in beginning, establishing, and concluding a pattern) but still shows up everywhere. Most of the prominent numbers in the Bible, if they aren't these numbers, are multiples or squares of them.

Sham bam bamina! fucked around with this message at 10:02 on Jan 2, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Mind you, the best reason for including the exact measurements of the Temple would be realizing how many man/hours the scholars of the future are going to waste trying to reconstruct the thing.

Also God sucks at poetry.

• Locked thread