Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

emotive posted:

I love cheese, but as a vegetarian rarely buy any of the more extravagant stuff since with rennet usage and labeling not always specifying enzymes as animal or microbial I'm always a bit hesitant. I've pretty much accepted the fact that if I'm eating out the cheese might not be strict vegetarian, but if I'm buying it for myself I always make sure. I know things like reggiano have to be made with rennet... any others?

Lots use rennet. I would recommend googling a cheese first and then buying if it is clearly marked with nettle or whatever alternative they've gone with. Up here in Ontario at least lots of places are clearly labeling their vegetarian cheeses since the demand is increasing, so that info is getting easier to find.

I'm working on a professional fromager designation, I'll be done with it in May. No big plans on what I want to do with it but I have been having people ask if I will help them build cheese boards for parties and offering to pay, so I may make a side business out of it, or do pairing nights at breweries, that kind of thing. About a month ago I rented out a local cheese shop for a birthday party, had them build us a bunch of boards and then had people buy their own drinks. Highly recommend it if your local cheese store happens to be licensed.

If we're talking favorites, I recently had a 3 year Comte that was the best Comte I've had in my life and I went back to the shop the next day and bought like 1/6 of the wheel :shobon:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

I was at an artisan cheese festival last week and whoops, spent $120 on cheese. Now I have to throw a party to ensure it gets eaten. I also finished my 'Professional Fromager' certificate so I can be a big snob :v:

I always forget this thread exists so I am going to bookmark it now.

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

Anybody have any suggestions on what to do with gjetost? I was thinking of grating it over pancakes or something... such a weird food.

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

That is super cool and I am jealous.

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

For a solid overview of various cheeses, I see a lot of people recommend the World Cheese Book. I have it, it's pretty good.