Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«2 »
  • Locked thread
Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God


Book One: Knot of Thorns. Chapter One: Branderscar Prison

In the kingdom of Talingarde, many crimes may send
you to Branderscar Prison, but the sentence has but one
meaning. You are wicked and irredeemable. Each of you
received the same greeting when you arrived. You were
held down by rough hands and branded upon the arm with
a runic F. The mark signifies ‘forsaken’ and the painful
scar is indelible proof that each of you has betrayed
the great and eternal love of Mitra and his chosen
mortal vassals.

Condemned, you face at best a life of
shackles and servitude in the nearby salt
mines. Others might await the “gentle”
ministrations of the inquisitors so that
co-conspirators may be revealed and
confessions extracted. Perhaps,
some of you will be spared this
ordeal. Perhaps instead you
have come to Branderscar to
face the final judgment. In
three days, the executioner
arrives and the axe falls
or the pyre will be lit.
Through fire or steel, your crimes
will be answered.

You have all been chained together
in the same communal cell dressed
in nothing but filthy, tattered rags.
Manhandled and mistreated, any finery
you once possessed is either ruined or
long lost. No special treatment has been
given any prisoner – male or female,
commoner or noble – all of the forsaken
are bound and imprisoned together. Your feet
are secured by iron cuffs tethered by one long
chain. Your arms are secured to the wall
above by manacles. A guard is posted
right outside the cell day and night.
Little thought is given to long term
accommodations. At Branderscar,
justice comes swift and sure.

Escape seems hopeless. You have all been well searched
and every attempt to conceal anything on your person has
failed. And if you could somehow slip your bonds and fly
out of this prison, where would you go? Who from your
former life would want anything to do with the forsaken?
Despised, alone and shackled – all that you can do now is
await your doom.

For each of you, your old life is over. For each of you,
hope is a fading memory. For each of you, justice will be
fairly meted. And who can blame fair Talingarde after
what each of you has done?


____________________________________________________________________
The Discord channel
Roll20


Characters
Tardzilla playing Fuuma the Tengu Unchained Rogue.
Piell playing Best Rat the Rat Battlemind.
TheNabster playing Alice Mason AKA Black Alice the Human Antipaladin.
Jade Mage playing PRIM, BEAST OF HUNGER the Minotaur.
Tricky playing Selene Astara the Tiefling Magus.
Tempus Rimeblood playing Vhuloth the Black the Drow Swashbuckler.
Antivehicular playing Dionathel the Green Hag.


NPCs

Locations
Branderscar Prison.

Quests


Okay normal posting guidelines when posting in the thread. Once everyone posts, possibly getting to know each other or getting your bearings in the cell, we will move on. You are all chained up. Those of you with arms and legs have them chained far apart. For those of you that might be tiny and with no hands, well you are carefully restrained so that you can't squeeze out of your bindings effortlessly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jade Mage
Jan 4, 2013

This is Canada. It snows nine months of the year, and hails the other three.

PRIM, BEAST OF HUNGER

Darkvision 60ft, Low Light Vision. Perception +6, Sense Motive +2
HP: 14/14 AC: 17 CMD: 17


Now was her time to show her strength, to awe these mortals into worshiping the demon lord to be, the demon lord to be! Prim rattles her chains to get everyone's attention, then roars her mightiest roar!

"RAAAH!"

Okay, that was less than ideal. Next time, more demon lord, less teenage angst. Ah well, human guards are stupid anyway. Her body envelops itself in red and black energy as her skin shifts and bones grind into new positions. After a few seconds of less than comfortable bodily crunching and sliding, Prim assumes her innocent guise, a young teenage-looking humanoid. To be fair, she wasn't very old among minotaur, but she wasn't about to admit that!

Prim, stepping out of the too large manacles, rubs her tiny fleshy wrists in disgust before looking over at her cell mates.

"Right! I know we're in a rough spot, and the humans are doing something stupid to try to kill us... But I really need to get out to get some food, unless one of you is offering."

Mmmmm... She thinks for a moment, she might seem a bit out of place like this. After another rough session of popping and squishing sounds, her red energy returns to her and she goes back to her native minotaur self. She then goes and stands with her shackles in hand pretending to be shackled.

"I'm serious though. I am starving here."

Jade Mage fucked around with this message at Dec 21, 2017 around 06:46

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God

Branderscar Prison: 19 Ogre Cell

As PRIM rattles her chains, and gives something of a roar, before slipping free of her bindings through the use of changing her size the noise almost covers up some rustling from the next cell over.

Glancing over she can see, that while the seven of them all share the same cell, the next cell over contains only a single occupant. A large ogre! He shuffles around a bit in response to the noise PRIM makes. Blinks at her and then watches in confusion and amazement as she changes form, back and forth.

He looks toward the exit of the cells, then back to PRIM, Then as PRIM returns to her bindings, and fakes still being bound as she returns to her previous form, the ogre lowers his eyes. And seems almost as if he is sleeping standing up.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I won a rosette in the Thunderdome


Dionathel, Emergent Green Hag

Darkvision 60', Perception +3
HP 10/10, AC 16, CMD 15

Despair and guilt are easy friends, here, but my strange cellmate seems to be offering a beacon of hope. The guard would have to be distracted, but if they could all get free... how hard could that really be? "Food's a good idea. We need strength. But how are you going to get out and back without the guards descending? I think we'll only have one chance, if we want out." And one chance is more than enough, I tell myself to believe.

I'm hungry -- hungry for practically anything I can chew and fit down my throat, hungry for frogs and spiders, thirsty for swamp-water -- but otherwise, I'm as prepared for this as I've ever been for anything. I never had anything to take. Wealth? Nothing but my own strength. Weapons? My hands are good enough. A life? I barely had one. No regrets, nothing worth returning to... yes, I'm ready for this, whatever happens.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006



Best Rat, best rat

Low Light Vision, Scent. Perception +7, Sense Motive +7
HP 11/11, AC 19, CMD 12

Best Rat sees Prim breaking free of her bindings. "Oh, we leaving now? Ok! Once Best Rat is free, I kill guard and free you, then we eat guard!" Best Rat's plan is the best, of course. Everything Best Rat does is best. Best Rat turns to his bindings, looking to break free.

Escape Artist result was a 13. If that isn't good enough to break free, I can try biting through (at least some) of my bindings if I can bend down far enough, since I get to ignore hardness with my bite. Otherwise Best Rat will continue to struggle against the bindings.

TheNabster
Apr 26, 2014

Death, but with a gun




Black Alice
HP 12/12, AC 10, CMD 16

The past few hours had been something of a daze for Alice Mason. She'd been branded, which throbbed painfully as she sat facing the cell wall, she was shackled around her arms and legs, fit tightly as Alice didn't do much to resist and then she was thrown into a cell with the a lot of other unfortunates on the chopping block.

These were things that were sort of happening to Alice whilst Alice herself was not at home, she was listening for the God. He had been very quiet today. Perhaps he was buying his time.

The Minotaur was being very loud.

A rat just talked.

She did feel hungry.

TheNabster fucked around with this message at Dec 21, 2017 around 23:20

Tempus Rimeblood
Sep 23, 2007

...Friendship? Again?

Vhuloth the Black, Drow Pirate Swashbuckler


"Food sounds absolutely scrumptious at the moment, but I think I'd much prefer to be rid of these damned chains."

The drow cracks his neck, smirking slightly and redoubling his efforts. A twist here, a yank there, and he SHOULD be able to slip these manacles and get to freedom. However, the pain from his branded wrist made slipping his bonds more difficult than it should have been.

Looking over at the motley crew before him, an idea occurs.

"First off, when we get free, how do you lot feel about breathing open air and having the freedom to do what you like and get paid to do it?

Secondly...how in the bloody hell did they make rat-sized manacles?"

Escape Artist roll's a 14, so that's probably not getting me anything.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I won a rosette in the Thunderdome


Dionathel, Emergent Green Hag

Darkvision 60', Perception +3, Sense Motive -1
HP 10/10, AC 16, CMD 15

"Open air and freedom? I like it." Truth be told, I'd like a lot of things that aren't this, or life before. But freedom? Very, very nice indeed. "What are you offering?"

Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

after a great meal i like to lie on the ground and feel like garbage



Selene Astara, Tiefling Magus

Darkvision 60' | Perception +2 | Sense Motive +1
HP 10/10 | AC 15 | CMD 16

Content to listen to her cellmates bicker and plan for the moment, Selene took stock of her situation. The manacles were beyond her ability to escape, at least for the moment, and it seemed too much to hope that the key had been left within her arcane reach. The human — apparent human, perhaps? — was positively radiating the essence of her lord. A fellow devotee of Asmodeus, it seemed. Kinship was a small comfort in these trying times, but it was someething. Her immediate neighbor was some sort of bird creature. The minotaur could transmogrify itself into some sort of... feisty teen. Odd, though clearly useful for escaping her chains. The rat... Selene shook her head. It may prove useful. The elves likewise.

As the sickly looking one spoke up, Selene added her voice to the mix, "Our time is short enough. Speak plainly or hold your peace."

Tempus Rimeblood
Sep 23, 2007

...Friendship? Again?

Vhuloth the Black, Drow Pirate Swashbuckler

Perception +7, Sense Motive +1
AC 14, CMD 14, HP 9/9

"Well aren't you straight to business." He bobbles his head, limbs still bound but still attempting to sarcastically gesture. "I reckon it like this - we're all bloody condemned here, yeh? We get OUT of here, we're gonna be hunted till we're found on land. So why don't we take to the bloody seas? Freedom, open air, and it's not like these idiot Mitra-chanters will send their navy after us. Then we pillage, eat, blaspheme, and do whatever we like, while taking as much coin as we can and having a round of fun with it."

He strains against the manacles, again.

"If, that is, someone would let me out of these chains."

Tardzilla
Aug 31, 2006



Fuuma, Tengu Unchained Rogue

Low-Light Vision, Perception +6, Sense Motive +4
HP: 9/9, AC: 15, CMD: 9

Fuuma stayed silent most of the time, and it's not because she's secretly fuming on the inside, no. Why would she be mad? It's not like they took everything from her, including her favorite robes, and are treating her like some sort of common thug. No, Fuuma is certainly not being grumpy at all, and she's certainly not secretly wishing raining hot death on everybody around her right now.

And why in the hells is there a goddamn talking rat beside her?

Her ears perk up when the drow mentions "freedom" and "getting paid." Mostly the "getting paid" part. "You have my interest, too, Drow," she speaks up, "Whatever you're offering, it better be good."

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God

Branderscar Prison: 18 Cell

As you chat about your plans for your eventual escape you hear the sound of the guards returning. The clopping of feat, the rattling of chains. It gives you enough time to act like nothing has changed. And then they are there.

A group of six guards, heavily armed and ready for trouble, come into the cell led by a fat well-dressed sergeant of the watch. You all recognize him as Sergeant Tomas Blackerly. This was the man who held the brand that marked each of you. He laughed as your skin burned. Right now, he seems a little dazed.

He stops and looks you over before pointing at Vhuloth. “You there! That’s the scum! Get ‘em unshackled. If any of you makes trouble, they’ll earn a thrashing! Today’s your lucky day, scum. You’ve got a visitor. How you ever warranted such a fine lady is beyond me. Seems she wants to say good-bye. Now step lively. We wouldn’t want to keep her waiting.”

Vhuloth knows he isn't expecting anyone, so what could this be?

Vhuloth responds with "Tell the lovely lady I'd like to get dressed first, is that okay? Or would she rather get straight to business?" and a rakish grin.

The guards unshackle Vhuloth, roughly, and get rougher as he resists and throws out some one liners. Eventually he lets them herd him away.

Branderscar Prison: 20 Interrogation Room

They escort him roughly to a meeting room down the hall and shove him into a chair. There waiting for them is a hauntingly beautiful woman in an elegant black dress and soft silken veil. She looks as if she is headed to a funeral. Her hair is so platinum as to almost be white and her eyes are a vibrant almost unearthly green. She clearly has been weeping.

“Oh, dearest,” proclaims the unfamiliar woman. “I’m so relieved you’re alive!” She quickly turns to Tomas. “Could we please have a moment alone, good sir? For pity’s sake?” Tomas goes blank for a bit and then quickly agrees. “Of course, my lady. For you,’ tis no problem.”

Tempus Rimeblood
Sep 23, 2007

...Friendship? Again?

Vhuloth, Drow Pirate Swashbuckler

"Bloody hell, he's right handsy, isn't he? Not MY fault he didn't earn a conjugal visit. So to what do I owe the pleasure, miss..."

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God

Branderscar Prison: 20 Interrogation Room

Thomas and the guards leave.

As soon as the guards leave, her demeanor immediately changes. She drops all pretense of grief or concern. She is immediately all business.

“Have you forgotten me, dearest?” the unexpected visitor says with a smirk, dropping her pretense of grief.

“Call me Tiadora. We possess a mutual friend who would like to meet you and your fellow cell-mates. Unfortunately, our friend is unwilling to visit you in your present rather shabby accommodations so it seems you must escape. Don’t be so dour. Just because it’s never been done before is no reason you can’t be the first.

“If you manage that, cross the moors on the outskirts of town. On the old Moor Road you’ll see a manor house with a single lantern burning in the second story. There our mutual friend waits. That is all I know. He did want me to give you this.”

She takes off her silken veil and wipes away a few fake tears with it. “Something to remember me by, dearest.”

Tempus Rimeblood
Sep 23, 2007

...Friendship? Again?

Vhuloth

"Right. Tiadora, that's all quite lovely and I'm sure we've yet to share a lovely evening together, but how are we supposed to...you know, escape? Savvy? I mean, what with you being all magical and what not, can't you just...open the door?"

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God

Branderscar Prison: 20 Interrogation Room

Tiadora smiles and shakes her head as Vhuloth takes the veil. "And have the guards attack you? To simply let you go is not a command he will obey. I have helped you as much as I can."

Her message delivered, she rises and the guards return. Immediately, her demeanor once more changes and she is again a perfect picture of grief. “No, I can’t bear to leave you!” She gives Vhuloth a kiss on the cheek. The kiss is ice-cold and feels somehow alien and inhuman.

Tomas shakes his head. “I’m afraid it’s time, miss.”

She looks deep in Tomas’ eyes and says, “Thank you for letting me say good-bye. There’s no need to search my dearest. You are such a good friend for letting me see my dearest one more time.”

“Such a good friend,” Tomas repeats his voice almost mechanical. Then the watch sergeant seems to snap out of it and bows politely.

“A pleasure, madam,” She leaves unveiled. Her eyes meet Vhuloth's one last time and she briefly gives him a wicked smile. “Three days,” telepathically echoes in his mind. “Don’t disappoint me, dearest”. The visitation concluded, Vhuloth is taken back to his cell by a cadre of guards and shackled once more.

Branderscar Prison: 18 Cell
Lights are dimmed and the door to your block is locked once more. The guards leave though clearly two of them are stationed at the door.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006



Best Rat

"Finally, escape time," Best Rat says as he twists and bends into a position where he can bite through his tiny manacles. It goes easily enough, Best Rat is the best after all. A few seconds later and he is free. Since the minotaur on one side of him was already free, Best Rat climbs up the wall next to the woman on the other side of him, and begins biting through her manacles and foot cuffs, followed by the rest of the prisoners. "Want me to bite through cell lock, or you want do old 'hey guard this guy sick come open cell' trick?"

Acrobatics of 31 to bend enough to reach my shackles, then my hardness-ignoring bite takes care of it. Stealth result of 30 means I can free everyone without the guards noticing.

Piell fucked around with this message at Dec 22, 2017 around 03:47

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God

Branderscar Prison: 18 Cell

As Best Rat goes about freeing the others Vhuloth takes a look at the veil for the first time. It appears to be a fine silk veil of gossamer cloth. Only as it is held and closely inspected can he see small cloth patches of various shapes. He makes out two that look like daggers, one that looks like a lantern, another that looks like coiled rope, another that looks like a sack of some sort, one that looks like a set of thieves tools, another looks like a window, another like a pile of coins, and one looks like an unholy symbol of Asmodeus.

Prim, speaks to the ogre in giant.

"Hey, big guy. I don't know your name, but you look like a Thom the Stabber. Are you strong enough to help us break out? Between the tiny talking animal, the feathered one, and the rest of the vaguely human ones, you and I seem to be the only ones who have any chance in a fight against the stupid guards with the pointy sticks."

He snorts, laughter or derision, and shakes his shackles. He glances at the others, then responds in giant. "I am Grumblejack and to my shame the little uns caught me, drugged me and beat me, and now here I am." He snarls. "The little uns are fools. They have not killed me yet."

A grin crosses his face, "I would love to fight the guards again. Free me and I will help you take them."

He does seem to be eyeing PRIM strangely. But she is not entirely sure why.

Jade Mage
Jan 4, 2013

This is Canada. It snows nine months of the year, and hails the other three.

PRIM, BEAST OF HUNGER

Darkvision 60ft, Low Light Vision. Perception +6, Sense Motive +2
HP: 14/14 AC: 17 CMD: 17


The BEAST OF HUNGER snorts and smiles. Quietly to her cell mates she adds "Right, little guys, Rumblejack across the hall is up for a fight if we break him out, though he's beaten and drugged. Still, he and I are big and dangerous, and he creeps me out. I like our odds!"

Tempus Rimeblood
Sep 23, 2007

...Friendship? Again?

Vhuloth

"Well, if he's big, creepy, and itching for a fight, I can think of worse ways to be at the moment. Now, there has got to be some kind of catch to this...thing," he says, picking at one of the dagger-shaped cloth patches.

"Why couldn't she have given me something useful? Like a bloody rapier?"

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God

Branderscar Prison: 18 Cell

The patch pulls free, and turns into a dagger.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I won a rosette in the Thunderdome


Dionathel, Emergent Green Hag

Darkvision 60', Perception +3, Sense Motive -1
HP 10/10, AC 16, CMD 15

"If he wants to fight, let him fight. He certainly can't hurt. ... What does that thing do?" Not that I need much, but it's good to know.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006



Best Rat, best rat

Low Light Vision, Scent. Perception +7, Sense Motive +7
HP 11/11, AC 19, CMD 12

Having free everyone in his cell, Best Rat moves onto the lock of the cell itself, followed by the lock of the ogre's cell and the ogre's shackles. "So, you been here long time?" he asks, making small talk with the ogre.

Stealth check of 32 to bite open the locks without being noticed

Jade Mage
Jan 4, 2013

This is Canada. It snows nine months of the year, and hails the other three.

PRIM, BEAST OF HUNGER

Darkvision 60ft, Low Light Vision. Perception +6, Sense Motive +2
HP: 14/14 AC: 17 CMD: 17


PRIM waits to see if Best Rat can free Rumblejack, grinding her teeth in anticipation. Once she sees Rumblejack free, she takes her manacles and slams them loudly against the wall. "I AM THE BEAST OF HUNGER, AND I WILL NOT BE CONTAINED!" she bellows for all to hear.

PRIM paces the front of her cell, dragging her horns across the bars loudly banging them, "Guards! I'm not dying in fire today, if I die, it's on your metal sticks! Either you come face me now or I'll eat all your precious death row victims, I'm sure your weak god will love to hear you couldn't do what she wanted and sacrifice them correctly! So much for proper laws in this hellhole!"

As she paces the front of the cell, she avoids knocking her horns against the door, don't want it to squeak open and show her hand. To her fellow inmates, she smiles a confident smile.

"Face me! I am one unarmed young minotaur, you have your metal! Fight for your ashamed god! Put me to a warriors death!"

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I won a rosette in the Thunderdome


Dionathel, Emergent Green Hag

Darkvision 60', Perception +3, Sense Motive -1
HP 10/10, AC 16, CMD 15

There's a flash of genuine fear on my face for just a moment as the minotaur begins her plan. I have to force my hands down, continue the facade that I'm properly shackled... and at that point, why not play along? I shriek and tremble "against" my manacles.

"Please, help us! Please... I owe penance to Mitra! I can't die this way! Help me! Mitra, save this poor sinner!"

Bluff to help lure in guards: 1d20+8 22

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God

Branderscar Prison: 18 Cell

The door past all the cells creaks open, a little light stabs through the darkness and a guard appears. He bellows, "now now what is all this?" He sees PRIM unshackled and gestures back to the room he came from. A moment later a signal horn is blown, loud and clear. The guard steps back through the door.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006



Best Rat, best rat

Low Light Vision, Scent. Perception +7, Sense Motive +7
HP 11/11, AC 19, CMD 12

"No, you supposed to get guard in here, not bring alarm out there!" Best Rat says, exasperated. "Quick, one of you too-bigs break down door! We must murder our way free!"

Jade Mage
Jan 4, 2013

This is Canada. It snows nine months of the year, and hails the other three.

PRIM, BEAST OF HUNGER

Darkvision 60ft, Low Light Vision. Perception +6, Sense Motive +2
HP: 14/14 AC: 17 CMD: 17


PRIM sighs, slamming a fist into the wall by Dionathel. "poo poo, the small ones are cowards? You folks should have warned me the little ones are weaklings! Enough of this crap!"

PRIM throws open the cell door, and with a roar barrels head-first into the door of the cell block. It gives a mighty cracking sign and there's visible splintering, but the young minotaur can't quite break the door down with a single rush.

"I will eat your guts, whelps! Cowards!" She yells through the damaged doors as she removes her horns.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006



Best Rat, best rat

Low Light Vision, Scent. Perception +7, Sense Motive +7
HP 11/11, AC 19, CMD 12

Seeing the door barely hanging on it's hinges, Best Rat does the obvious thing - he leaps into the air and, with a snap of his jaws, bites through the upper hinges. The door collapses to the ground, landing just outside of the cell room. "Quickly, we eat these guards and then leave!"

Piell
Sep 3, 2006



Best Rat, best rat

Low Light Vision, Scent. Perception +7, Sense Motive +7
HP 11/11, AC 19, CMD 12

Best Rat puts his words into action as he runs out into room outside, then spins around and lunges at the leg of one of the guards. "Blood!" he shouts in triumph as his teeth bite deep.

21 to hit (successful according to Ryuujin, 12 damage.

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God

Branderscar Prison: 18 Cell

The door collapses after the crushing, and chewing, it receives. Surprising the guards who expected to have a little time. However they are reacting. Not fast enough to prevent Best Rat from slipping between the two of them and nearly butchering one of the guard as something important is severed in a rushing bite.

Battle is joined.

Initiative
24.05 Best Rat
22.04 Vhuloth
13.05 Fuuma
13.00 Grumblejack

10.01 Prison Guard 5
09.06 Dionathel
09.00 Black Alice
08.01 Prison Guard 8
04.03 PRIM, Beast of Hunger

TheNabster
Apr 26, 2014

Death, but with a gun




Black Alice
HP 12/12, AC 10, CMD 16

There were a lot of things that were happening around her. The slight issue she had was that whilst her companions were gifted with natural darkvision, she was not. She could not see a thing in this darkened cell.

Noise, the noise was following her around, close noises, private noises, grunting and talking noises in languages she couldn't understand. And then the door was wrenched open by the giant Minotaur and before she could register much further, the alarm was raised. Her eyes snapped into focus as a dagger and a lantern landed onto her lap, who threw them there? She couldn't hope to see anything in the dark, but It didn't matter, the lord had been talking to her in the midst of all this calamity. She knew exactly what she must do now.

"Guide my steps o' lord." She whsipers under her breath, opening her lantern and with dagger clutched in hand walks carefully towards the fight.

Alice currently is equipped with a Dagger in one hand and a Lantern in the other so she can actually see poo poo. She uses both action to move closer to the fight, and that's all she can do at the moment.

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God

Branderscar Prison: 18 Cell

Vhuloth hands a dagger and lantern to Black Alice before moving toward the confrontation. While Grumblejack takes a wild swing at the injured guard to try and put him down before the guards can take down his new friend Best Rat. But his fist sails harmlessly over his opponents head as he staggers about. The Guard cannot reach Grumblejack, and while PRIM is a scary sight this little rat right here? This rat nearly killed him with one bite and needs to die first. But the guard cannot hit that small, quickly moving, target.

Dionathel, and Black Alice once she gets the bullseye lantern opened up, move toward the fight but can't quite reach the melee. The other guard, having seen his fellow guard nearly ripped apart by a little rat is a bit panicky and just tries to kill this hellspawn rat. His fear and adrenaline fuel his attack and he actually manages to connect with Best Rat.

Some moving toward battle, some acquiring light, and a whole lot of missing. The only hit during this phase of the combat was the second guard actually hitting Best Rat with a 23, for 6 damage.

Initiative
24.05 Best Rat
22.04 Vhuloth
13.00 Grumblejack

10.01 Prison Guard 5
09.06 Dionathel
09.00 Black Alice
08.01 Prison Guard 8
04.03 PRIM, Beast of Hunger

Piell
Sep 3, 2006



Best Rat, best rat

Low Light Vision, Scent. Perception +7, Sense Motive +7
HP 5/11, AC 19, CMD 12

Wounding Best Rat has only made him angrier, and he launches himself off the ground and latches onto the guard's neck, tearing out his throat.

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God

Branderscar Prison: 17 Guardroom

The area you find yourself fighting in is a small guard room and the landing for the stairs from the first floor. It is lit by a sconce holding a torch. There are two doors – one leading the cellblock (room 18.) and the other connecting to the interrogation room (room 20.) Otherwise, this chamber is plain with little furnishings save for a small table and two chairs.

The fireplace here is a relic of the old castle great hall. It is almost comically large and has a chimney that is not lit, but you can feel the warmth coming from below.


The two guards are down, but even as they fall Best Rat and PRIM can see more guards arriving via the stairs.

PRIM's charge one hit kills one guard, and Best Rat finishes off the other. But reinforcements are finally arriving from the earlier horn signal.

Initiative
24.05 Best Rat
22.04 Vhuloth
20.01 Prison Guard 7
16.01 Tomas Blackerly
16.01 Prison Guard 8
13.00 Grumblejack
11.01 Off-Duty Prison Guard 2
09.06 Dionathel
09.00 Black Alice
06.01 Off-Duty Prison Guard 3
04.03 PRIM, Beast of Hunger
03.01 Off-Duty Prison Guard 1

Ryuujin fucked around with this message at Jan 4, 2018 around 00:02

Jade Mage
Jan 4, 2013

This is Canada. It snows nine months of the year, and hails the other three.

PRIM, BEAST OF HUNGER

Darkvision 60ft, Low Light Vision. Perception +6, Sense Motive +2
HP: 14/14 AC: 17 CMD: 17

PRIM straightens up, cleaning her horns and turns to Best Rat who killed the other guard. "Man, I like this furball! You're like a tiny minotaur, much better than these weaklings!"

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God

Branderscar Prison: 17 Guardroom

Not to be outdone by the others Vhuloth leaps into the room in a graceful dash, jumps down the stairs in a combination of slide and tumble until he comes up against the guards. Striking a mighty blow against one of the guards with the dagger he acquired from the veil.

The guards turn their attention to the drow. One swings his longsword with unerring precision, and Vhuloth attempts to turn it aside. But the blow is just too accurate and strikes true, drawing some of the pirate's blood. The other follows suit, but the blow is much less graceful and accurate and is dodged by the deft movements of Vhuloth as he begins to slip back up the stairs. But the first guard is ready and strikes as he moves away. Vhuloth notices this and attempts to put even more distance between them but is not quite capable of avoiding the rather accurate blows of this first guard. The second strike puts him down on the floor, bleeding.

He will need help. But for now Grumblejack gives a roar and rushes into the room, and down the stairs, avoiding Vhuloth, and striking from a distance with a big meaty hand. Even with his strength sapped, and without a weapon, he manages to put the skilled guard down.

Another guard moves up the stairs, though the guard seems to have not had time to get ready and is lacking in pretty much anything except his sword. He attempts to take the ogre down. But only gets pain for his trouble as Grumblejack's fist connects with his stomach. Still he manages a retaliation as Grumblejack leaves himself open.

Black Alice moves up to one of the fallen guards and takes his longsword. Meanwhile Dionathel rushes to Vhuloth's side and begins looking for the veil.

Another guard, shirtless this time, comes up the stairs and attacks Grumblejack. Grumblejack gets a good hit in as the guard moves in, but receives a telling blow in exchange. Grumblejack is starting to look not quite so good. But he is still standing and still fighting.

Vhuloth does an acrobatic charge into the room and down the stairs to just about the landing and gives a good hit to a guard, now named Steve. Steve attacks, and despite an attempted parry hits Vhuloth. The other guard fails to connect when Vhuloth does a Swashbuckling dodge, but Steve gets an AoO and hits, despite another attempt at dodging, and puts Vhuloth to -2. Grumblejack moves up, and attacks Steve, putting him down but getting hit in turn for an AoO.

Another off duty guard rushes up, gets hit by an AoO, then hits Grumblejack.

Initiative
24.05 Best Rat
22.04 Vhuloth
20.01 Prison Guard 7
16.01 Tomas Blackerly
16.01 Prison Guard 8 "Tom"
13.00 Grumblejack
11.01 Off-Duty Prison Guard 2 "Bob"
09.06 Dionathel
09.00 Black Alice
06.01 Off-Duty Prison Guard 3
04.03 PRIM, Beast of Hunger
03.01 Off-Duty Prison Guard 1

Ryuujin fucked around with this message at Jan 4, 2018 around 23:34

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I won a rosette in the Thunderdome


Dionathel, Emergent Green Hag

Darkvision 60', Perception +3, Sense Motive -1
HP 10/10, AC 16, CMD 15

The chaos is building around us, and my blood is beginning to rise. I'd love to wade into this thing myself, help turn the tide... but it's still just out of reach, and one of my comrades -- the one who had a plan after this, the one who had a future -- is bleeding on the floor. I dash through the dark to try and reach his side, remembering the strange magic handkerchief he held. Surely it might have a solution?

As mentioned on Discord, double-moving to close in on Vhuloth to administer healing next round.

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God

Branderscar Prison: 17 Guardroom

PRIM moves around the group and begins making the way down the stairs and rips the naked guard apart with her horns. Blood and viscera rain down upon her. She can see another guard, this one wearing pajamas, beginning to make his way up the stairs.

12 damage easily finishes off Bob.

Initiative
24.05 Best Rat
22.04 Vhuloth

20.01 Prison Guard 7
16.01 Tomas Blackerly
16.01 Prison Guard 8 "Tom"
13.00 Grumblejack
11.01 Off-Duty Prison Guard 2 "Bob"
09.06 Dionathel
09.00 Black Alice
06.01 Off-Duty Prison Guard 3
04.03 PRIM, Beast of Hunger
03.01 Off-Duty Prison Guard 1

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Piell
Sep 3, 2006



Best Rat, best rat

Low Light Vision, Scent. Perception +7, Sense Motive +7
HP 5/11, AC 19, CMD 12

One guard downed, Best Rat charges towards the stairs. The guard on the stairs is at the perfect height for Best Rat to launch himself off the ledge into his throat, whereupon Best Rat repeats his favorite tactic of biting his way through the guard's neck.

Best Rat hits for 11 and kills another guard

  • Locked thread
«2 »