Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.
Yeah, I was hoping it was the Lion Princess as well; she was pretty cool for a non-protagionist SaGa Frontier character.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

Leraika posted:

Yeah, I was hoping it was the Lion Princess as well; she was pretty cool for a non-protagionist SaGa Frontier character.

I still hold love for the more mundane characters, like the samurai drunk who is the lone surviver in a slaughter the Manhattin corp launched against Wakatu. He cut a rope with a steel pipe.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

PurpleXVI posted:

NOW HEAR THIS, I AM THE EDGELORD.

That's pretty amazing in all ways.

All introductions should start with NOW HEAR THIS!

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

wiegieman posted:

All introductions should start with NOW HEAR THIS!

Alternatively a good ol' Oswald-styled BEHOLD!

I mean, I can hear it now.

BEHOLD! I AM THE EDGELORD.

Joke option: Or like the prince character in Minstrel Song.

I AM THE EDGELORD, SON OF EDGELORD, LORD OF THE EDGE!

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
Sorry about the lack of updates recently but I've been in training for work. More US this weekend I promise!

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

corn in the bible posted:

Sorry about the lack of updates recently but I've been in training for work. More US this weekend I promise!

It's fine. You need to grind for the required skill panels in real life, that takes time with life's ruthless RNG.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
This seems like one of those games which could best be enjoyed only by the people who made it.

Still and all, thanks for the experience.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Unlimited Saga, Part 19: BAD ORB

Last time, we killed EDGE LORD and got a weird orb. The next thing to do would be to go use it and thus get ourselves a dragon scale, but before that I did go around and checked the shops to see what they had. One shop had a meteorite, and we needed another of those to make meteoric iron, so I went and got some more cash in Starship Anchor, bought it, and then made the meteoric iron. How does that work? Well, a meteorite combined with a scale has some small chance of making meteoric iron. However, unlike other low-chance recipes, this one can be made more likely by using better or rarer scales. Basic scales give very low odds, but a coelocanth scale makes it certain that the combination will work. So:

This means we're almost done collecting items. We need a dragon scale, which is in the next sidequest, and some glossed silk -- a more annoying item to obtain, since it has to randomly appear for trade or in stores, but which will probably show up given a few chances. After that, the final dungeon will open! A bit of grinding will be needed to get everyone up to scratch, since Chaos is still a difficult opponent, but that's fine. Let's go!

Upon entering the dungeon, the orb you got from the mayor turned to transparent green.

I really hate this quest. It's annoying to figure out what you're supposed to do, and feels like awful trial and error until you know the trick. Once you do, it's still annoying until you map the place out. After that it's just tedious. Fortunately, you don't really need to do it unless you're playing as Armic (to get the dragon scale) or Laura (because it's one of her story missions). This is where Laura meets Armic and recruits him, by the way.

Basically, it's a big cave full of enemies. The enemies aren't a big deal, but that's because they're just random encounters. The real gimmick of the dungeon is twofold. One is that, as you explore, you will run into big frog things.

You can fight the monster, in which you get into a fight with a bunch of frogs, wait for them to leave, in which case they will either leave or attack depending on if the orb is vibrating (I have no idea why the orb vibrates but it does sometimes) or leave. We have a time limit, so trying to go around them isn't really an option. Still, they're not particularly dangerous... just annoying. The real danger is from this:

Throughout the cave, there are holes in the wall. The object of the dungeon is to put the orb into specific holes. If you put it into the wrong hole, or if the orb is the wrong color when you insert it, then a big tentacle monster will attack and mess you up. I probably should have done it wrong to show this off but I really didn't want to bother because this dungeon is annoying enough already.

And yes, the orb changes color. You can make it change color by pouring water on it from wells throughout the dungeon. So that's another thing you have to find in your limited time.

After a time the orb will turn green again, and then eventually red. There's also hot water, which makes it red immediately. Each color corresponds to a specific lion in the cave. Get all three and you're done. How do you tell which one goes where? Well, in theory, the names tell you. There's a hole labeled Regal Lion which takes the Red orb, and a Gold Lion for the Green orb. So the initials are supposed to help you with this, except you'd never guess that because it's ridiculous and you'd be confused anyway because the blue orb goes in the Vernal Lion.

So you do that and then water drains away in a nearby room. This opens up the path to the Lions' treasure.

A voice echoes out...

Who's there? Have you not known these treasures belong to the Regal Lion?

It must be a guardian protecting Regal Lion's treasures. It's a monster.

This guy is a boss fight, I guess, except Kong Ming literally killed him in one combo on the first turn. He doesn't appear for Laura and I've never done the quest except when required, so I have no idea what he does. But by killing him, we are free to loot the cave to our heart's content.

The most important item is, of course, this:

It's in the northwest part of the treasure cave, and is just sitting out in the open. Everything else is in a chest, so what you'll find here is random, though they don't seem to have locks or traps which is nice.

So, remember how mimics can drop any level of tablet? Check it out:

Level 4 is the highest you can get for tablets! I haven't really been bothering to grind up magic, so Norff is unlikely to get enough magic experience by the end to get all the cool spells, but this will let him learn some nice stuff and, hey, he's already set up for wood spells. So that's cool!

Now, the only rare item we lack is glossed silk. And we're doing OK for the regular items, too:

Strictly speaking, as long as we can get more money these will not be a problem. However, there's no glossed silk anywhere! That means we need to restock all the stores again, and hope the RNG is kind. And we never did finish the Starship Anchor, so let's do that!

So, we have visited here a few times before, because it's a nice place to get cash. We really don't need cash anymore, though; we just need to finish quests until we can go win the game. Since we have been here part of the map is already revealed.

Remember, the path leads through the woods into the building proper. Then, you make your way to the central dome to find the constellation markings. I'm not sure if you need to kill the wyvern again and do this all again, but it seemed like a good idea.

This guy was pretty tough last time, but now we've got better panels and better armor, which means everyone can take a lot more damage without losing LP. Armic sparks a new move, too:

https://thumbs.gfycat.com/WeeDenseAlabamamapturtle-mobile.mp4

After that, we can head downstairs into the starry area. The trick is to follow all the paths which have been revealed. Traveling down the lines makes them light up, and lighting them all up without leaving the path (this makes it reset) opens up the exit.

It also lets us see the constellation we were exploring!

So the whale constellation has been completed. Let's continue.

There's another wooded area on the other side of the whale.

This area is much larger, with more outbuildings and treasure to find.

However, our goal is further south. At the end of the path, we find another building and another dome:

So, again, we find a staircase leading down and head into the stars. The trident is more or less the same, but because of how it branches it's tempting to step off it as a shortcut. Remember, that resets the lines, and then you have to do it again. The goal is the middle point of the trident, where danger awaits!

Dimensional Gap. Constellation Asylum. This is both Heaven and Earth. Who dares step foot in my temple that defends the heavenly aurora? I sought evil and knowledge. When I awoke to bitter cold, my body was no longer human. But I have no regrets... I have gained the power of the gods!

So, this is the boss of Starship Anchor, assuming you do it as a sidequest. He's a Lich, and is very spooky! He also has some cool attacks, like this:

https://thumbs.gfycat.com/FairCrazyJavalina-mobile.mp4

Now, you may have noticed that Phantom Shark didn't seem to do anything. That's because it is a direct LP attack, and if you have high skill, or high HP, or high life protection, then it may simply do nothing at all. He does have another attack, which damages the whole party, and looks like this:

https://thumbs.gfycat.com/IllustriousJitteryChinesecrocodilelizard-mobile.mp4

And a single-target version of the same spell, called Blaster. Depending on your setup, these may be far more dangerous than Phantom Shark. Still, if your characters can handle the shark you'll probably be fine -- he likes to spam it over and over, and if your characters are set up to deal with that then he may waste an entire turn on failing to hit their LP. Because of this, it's probably best to only have one or two people out at once, to minimize the effectiveness of Wind Spirit. Then you can just beat him into submission!

Hooray!

But there still wasn't any Glossed Silk in the shops. So the adventures must continue... next time!

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

I suppose if the RNG is kind to you this story can actually breeze right on by. Could you basically save scum finishing quests to reset shop inventories until they have what you want?

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

marshmallow creep posted:

I suppose if the RNG is kind to you this story can actually breeze right on by. Could you basically save scum finishing quests to reset shop inventories until they have what you want?

Well, some things won't appear until you get to a high market rank, so you'd have to raise that first. Assuming it is very high, however, you could indeed save scum until you get everything you want. Still have to beat Chaos, though.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem
The waves of blood sloughing off the shark lich are impressively gross.

Ubiquitous_
Nov 20, 2013

by Reene
The spritework continues to really impress me.

Nick Buntline
Dec 20, 2007
Doesn't know the impossible.

How do you tell which one goes where? Well, in theory, the names tell you. There's a hole labeled Regal Lion which takes the Red orb, and a Gold Lion for the Green orb. So the initials are supposed to help you with this, except you'd never guess that because it's ridiculous and you'd be confused anyway because the blue orb goes in the Vernal Lion.

Unless I'm missing something, isn't the hint the names of the followers you were told about in the preceding quest?

His three loyal followers were Blue-eyed Vernal Lion, Green-eyed Gold Lion, and Scarlet-eyed Elder Lion.

It still doesn't match up perfectly unless Regal also had red eyes, but that's at least enough to not have to do trial and error.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔

Nick Buntline posted:

Unless I'm missing something, isn't the hint the names of the followers you were told about in the preceding quest?

It still doesn't match up perfectly unless Regal also had red eyes, but that's at least enough to not have to do trial and error.
Unless you play as Laura where the quest is both mandatory and does not have the other Lion quest preceding it.

I think I figured out how it works based on this LP, some googling and my own experience, though.
- the Orb starts green, and after ten or so steps turns red and starts vibrating. The "vibrating" part is just fluff...in this case.
- if you put it into cold water, it turns blue. After tennish steps, it turns green, then see above. If you put it into hot water, it turns red (and starts vibrating, but again, doesn't matter) immediately.
- if you encounter the clump of enemies on the map, they will immediately attack you if you have a vibrating (read: red) Orb. Otherwise, you can choose "wait a bit" or sth like that from a menu and they'll just let you pass.
- if you are next to an emblem which needs to have an orb of your current color inserted, the orb will start vibrating rapidly (even if it's not red), that's...a different kind of vibration than the one that comes from it being red and is meant to signal you that you're close. It's, again, very not obvious.
- there are emblems that have no description (just "Crest of a Lion" instead of "Vernal Crest of a Lion"), putting the orbs into those will ALWAYS trigger the tentacle monster with no explanation given.
- I think the tentacle monster does not, in fact, trigger if you put, say, a red orb into the blue-requiring crest; it just tells you "wrong color" and boots you out of the menu. So there's some crests that are just there as a gently caress you and you're meant to figure out that only the ones with adjectives will ever work.

The enemies are basically only there to punish you if you're walking around in circles for a while, your orb turns red while you're doing that and then they'll attack. You can bypass most of their roadblocks, by the way, by either taking an open or locked with an exploration skill alternate path. It's a dungeon with too many gimmicks of which neither works well, basically.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Ubiquitous_ posted:

The spritework continues to really impress me.

Yeah, it's really good. I like that dude particularly; the robes turning into blood is a neat visual.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Unlimited Saga, Part 20: We Just Need Silk

Armic's quest cannot continue until we find some Glossed Silk. That's the only thing left to get. As far as I know, the market rank is high enough at this point for the silk to appear, but maybe not? In any case, until it shows up, there's not much to do but finish quests and try to get people better equipment. I use my vast wealth to buy lots of wood, and make some damascus stuff. Armic has a Black Sword, and Edel has a Black Bow. Nuage still has his diamond spear, because it's mostly the same strength (a little worse, but that's ok) and we might as well use it for something. Eventually I'll turn it into a shield for Edel, since he has a shield panel and will make good use of it. The main thing people need is armor and accessories, which I've been neglecting since I wanted to get everything done as soon as possible. Until shops get what I want, we just need to go do some quests and hope that it'll happen someday.

Here's a short quest:

Short quests are sometimes a bit of a trap, since you'll get lower level panels due to lack of combat. They can get you weird ones you normally wouldn't, though. For example, if you just started a game and want lockpicking as soon as possible, you can go do Fulgar's Mansion and probably get it on someone.

The master of the mansion told his butler to find his wife's jewelry, so it could be worn to a party. However, the butler forgot where he put the jewelry. Being a butler for thirty years, his pride wouldn't allow him to admit the lapse. There is not much time until the master returns, so he urgently requests your assistance.

"The jewelry has to be somewhere on the first floor. Please, find it quickly! You can break the custom-made doors and dressers. Here, you can use this tool designed for them.

You may remember this manor, and the keyaxe, from Mythe's quest. Unlike his visit to the manor, however, we've got no real urgency here, and we also can't visit the second floor where the painting lies. There's no fire, and no danger -- indeed, no enemies at all.

Sometimes, you will find a door and, by spinning a reel, you can break it with the keyaxe. In the southernmost-room you can find a magic tablet.

In the northernmost room you will find a bunch of dressers.

These also must be broken, and one of them has the jewelry in it.

And that's it. That is the entire quest.

As you can see, we got a magic tablet, but all the panels and tablet are at the current minimum level, 2. This is because there are no encounters in the manor, no combats or traps or even chests to unlock. Doing this quest may result in having to throw away a high level panel if you don't have one set aside for dumping them in. For example, here's Edel losing some Skill because I can't afford to drop any other panel.

Of course, it'll get replaced again soon, so it's not a big deal. However, there is a way around this, and to abuse quests like this for leveling purposes. Remember, you only get panels when you finish a quest. and those panels are determined by every action a character has taken since the last panel assignment. This means you can fight monsters and find tablets in another quest (say, the public area of Pharos) and then come here, and get the result. It's unnecessary, but I know some of the people who do challenge games use this quest that way.

And hey, guess what?

This seems like an insurmountable price, but it's really not. If we needed to, we could go do some other quests and then leave via time-out, to grind cash, but instead I decided to just sell Edel's damascus bow. It was worth about 50k, making the price easily attainable. And now, with the world's most expensive socks in hand, we have every item needed to finish Armic's quest. Everybody removes their equipment, and at last...

I deciphered the item for Wood! It's Jupiter's Anvil, and it's at Flying Island.

Oh, Flying Island...

Armic, it's the Seven Wonders! Be careful and go for it!

The Flying Island is, indeed, one of the Wonders, and is where the final boss resides. So Armic's fourth item is located in his final dungeon; the water item, which cannot be deciphered during gameplay, is not explained at this time but will come into play later. That's fine, except that this also means you will always miss out on one of Armic's party members! In our case, we're missing out on Pharr, who you get during the wood quest. Pharr is lame, though, so it's not a big loss, but Rebecca and Edel are both awesome and would be unfortunate to miss out on. Since Rebecca is in the Fire dungeon, the last one on the list, she's probably the most likely to miss out on.

Anyway, this means that Armic's story is now basically over. He does have some story stuff in his final dungeon, unlike Mythe, but until then it's all sidequests, all the time. We could go to Flying Island right now, and definitely could defeat the story boss, but Chaos would still win. So to alleviate that problem, let's do some more quests, yeah?

This place may be a temple in name, but in actuality, no one knows its original purpose.

Two Moons Temple should be familiar if you played Minstrel Song, because it also appears in that game. It's the location of one of the Fatestones, though I don't remember which one at this time. Probably the Moonstone, that'd make sense. It's also Ventus's final dungeon, but because he also has to do the entire Undercity Pharos thing and fight Phantom, they made it pretty short. You can wander off and find treasure all over the place, but it's also easy to finish up quickly if you know where to go. This is because the dungeon's gimmick this time is teleporters.

Some chambers contain a teleporter pad, which will dump you at a specific spot in the dungeon. Choosing the right ones will get to the end very quickly. Now, I believe you can also make your way to the end by foot, ignoring the teleporters, and of course the fact that you can see where you've been makes solving it through teleporting easier too. All in all, a pretty easy dungeon, with a pretty easy boss at the end.

If you decide to do the temple properly and explore for loot, remember to bring someone with the appropriate Guide or Familiar skill skill. Most places do have hidden stuff, but in a dungeon like this it's pretty easy to figure out where they'll be and to search accordingly. Like this:

Dead ends will probably have a chest hidden away. There are also, I believe, several magic tablets in the temple. It's also, like Starship Anchor, one of the quests you can walk away from, so you're free to grind here for item drops and gold if you really want to. This is one example of a way to abuse Fulgar's Manor for panels -- you can fight things endlessly here, with a safe exit at any time, and then maybe get lv4 or lv5 panels early on by completing the manor. But, like I said, mindless grinding isn't really needed for the most part. Sure, we're sort of grinding right now, but at least it's by doing quests.

Anyway, the path to the boss is so simple that you may stumble into it by accident. The first teleporter leads to an area from which you can immediately see another. That drops you two rooms away from the boss chamber, so there you go. In any case, the target area is this red floor, which has different environment art and more dangerous monsters.

Proceeding all the way northeast, we find a big demon guy hanging out.

Perhaps as an acknowledgement of how easy it is to get here, you can actually choose to leave and not fight the demon at all. It doesn't count as finishing the quest, but would allow you to leave safely if it turned out that your characters were massively outclassed. Most of the other Wonders are tough enough that getting to the boss at least guarantees a certain level of power, so I guess they wanted to be nice in that way.

You may recognize these demons. The green ones are the boss from one of Armic's quest, and the big guy is a stronger variant of the Satanachia that patrols Undercity Pharos. I like the animation on him, though:

https://thumbs.gfycat.com/UnconsciousFarflungCleanerwrasse-mobile.mp4
https://thumbs.gfycat.com/BlandGlisteningIberianmidwifetoad-mobile.mp4

While these guys can take a lot of punishment, they're not necessarily that dangerous.

The main thing that happened is that Nuage started sparking a bunch of skills. Some are rather useless, like Twin Dragons:

https://thumbs.gfycat.com/VacantVagueAmethystinepython-mobile.mp4

Sure, it looks OK, but it sparks off of Double Stab, which attacks twice instead of once. The chance of doing LP damage seems to be much greater with the regular attack than this special attack, which is annoying. I've never seen that with any other techniques, but in this case it's a pain.

On the other hand, this one's pretty good:

https://thumbs.gfycat.com/MadeupEnlightenedIndusriverdolphin-mobile.mp4

Eventually, the big demon falls, and the party is victorious. Nuage is probably the best character I've got right now, and he's dragging the rest of the team through every challenge. The demon leaves a magic tablet behind, but winning doesn't count until we actually leave the temple out the front. The time limit is short, but it's not a problem.

So that's that. Next time, revelations. What will happen in Flying Island? Who can say? Can you guess? Well, we'll find out next time. So stay tuned!

Ubiquitous_
Nov 20, 2013

by Reene
If Kawazu had just programmed a way to skip being forced to place panels when a quest is completed... that would have really helped me out when I was playing this game and getting poo poo panels.

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

So that's that. Next time, revelations. What will happen in Flying Island? Who can say? Can you guess? Well, we'll find out next time. So stay tuned!

We're gonna make it rain in our village. If by rain you mean a floating continent landing on it. I don't actually know mind you, but my Riki sense is tingling.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

We've already established that :) mage guy will betray you after revealing that he was using Armic all along.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

Blaze Dragon posted:

We've already established that :) mage guy will betray you after revealing that he was using Armic all along.

What? No. Never, hes our buddy4lyfe.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Ubiquitous_ posted:

If Kawazu had just programmed a way to skip being forced to place panels when a quest is completed... that would have really helped me out when I was playing this game and getting poo poo panels.
I feel like that runs counter to the design philosophy of this game.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

Commander Keene posted:

I feel like that runs counter to the design philosophy of this game.

Sometimes bad things happen and you just gotta deal.

Like that time when the enemy gets an All Out Attack (5 hit combo) in other SaGa's that one-shots your entire party so you have to play through that whole freakin' dungeon again.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
My bet is that we got something drastically wrong and instead of starting to rain, it just doesn't stop.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

EponymousMrYar posted:

Sometimes bad things happen and you just gotta deal.

Like that time when the enemy gets an All Out Attack (5 hit combo) in other SaGa's that one-shots your entire party so you have to play through that whole freakin' dungeon again.

Or when a tree screams at you and your entire party is reduced to a fine mist.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

I think we'll restore the rain and the game will unceremoniously end.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
My guess is that the ritual is just a blueprint to the dopest caravan forged with the finest materials. The story concludes with Chupa and Norff becoming the Xhibit and West Coast Customs of this fantasy world.

sethimothy
Nov 1, 2006

Nyu for 1d4 points of damage
The ritual will summon Chaos and the party will be like "Wtf we wanted it to rain" and Chaos is gonna be like "It's gonna rain alright, it's gonna rain THE BLOOD" and the party will be like "EEK!" except for the main character who will be just too dumb and apathetic to care so they'll trip and fall and accidentally beat up Chaos and then the other little squirrel dudes will return and be like "Oh, Armic, you're so *useless*" and they'll have some canned laughter and then credits roll.

Sketchie
Nov 14, 2012

SSNeoman posted:

I think we'll restore the rain and the game will unceremoniously end.
Armic: Oh, look, it's raining. The village will be saved now.

But little does he know he wrought a massive rainfall that will eventually flood the village and kill everyone.

THE END

Ubiquitous_
Nov 20, 2013

by Reene

Sketchie posted:

Armic: Oh, look, it's raining. The village will be saved now.

But little does he know he wrought a massive rainfall that will eventually flood the village and kill everyone.

THE END

Man, Armic sure got a terrible panel today.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Unlimited Saga, Part 21: The Finish Line

In between the last part and this one I did some grinding, because the party's armor and weapons simply didn't cut it against the boss. So just imagine me doing the abandoned castle a second time, etc. Now everyone has good armor and accessories, and is ready to go. Huzzah.

It's time to get the final object and save Armic's home. We never did get to meet Pharr, and Henri isn't very good, so this is the final party:

And obviously we need to bring Norff, the coolest dude around! Alright. Let's get started.

Mostly the party is ready to go, so we really only have to clear the dungeon and reach the end. However, Norff is still working on a spell i want him to learn -- Missile Guard, which gives the party a chance to block missile attacks and, supposedly, all piercing attacks generally. I'm not sure how true this is, but that sounds pretty rad, so I wanted him to learn it by the end.

You can still find magic tablets in the final dungeon, and you can apply them if you find the Tetra Force. The one in this dungeon is accessible almost immediately if you know where it is, and also missable if you don't. It's kind of annoying that way.

The Island is a series of ruins on a flying jungle-themed island. You can see some of it in the background of the battle arena.

It's honestly pretty straightforward. There's lots of places where you can use Obstacle Crossing or Swimming to find shortcuts or secret treasure, but it's not required of course, and we've no use for treasure anymore.

This is an indication of what we need to do. We just have to find all three towers (to pull switches) and then go to the big hole (which has an elevator in it). The Island is also pretty funny because some of the area pictures are clearly just cgi pasted over actual photographs:

Seamless. This is the only place I've ever seen this. It's bizarre.

I like the idea of a big floating city, but it's not particularly interesting. There are some neat landmarks, I guess?

The area has four sections, divided by gates. Three of them have a switch and the starting area has the elevator. However, it's pretty clear they intended you to do it in clockwise fashion, because the Tetra Force is in the southwest corner.

There's a big lake on the island I guess?

As long as you make sure you find the lever before you leave each area, you'll be fine. A very simple area. Here's one!

One area down. On to the next!

And then in the southwest ruins, we find the third:

The Tetra Force is near the exit back to the starting area. After that, all we have to do is head back to the start and find the elevator.

Well, that was easy. BUT WAIT!

Our good buddy Yun is also here!

I'll see if you have all the necessary items.

Master Yun, you've come all the way for this? Thank you.

Yun is very cool and trustworthy. He's our friend, just like Norff!

Umm, Master Yun...?

Silence!

Oh no did we trust the wrong person what a twist

I-I'm sorry.

Armic, stand right there.

But the ritual must take place in...

Be quiet and stand there! So the key is the Chapa himself! Go back and stand there!

I'm going back home. Thanks for your help. Once it rains, I'll bring you tons of fish!

I appreciate that Armic is still oblivious to what is happening here. He is committed to being a dumbass.

What? Fish? I finally obtained Iskandar's secret element-control art! You will cooperate!

But I collected them for our rainmaking ritual. I can't do this. Please give them back to me.

Come and get them. Care to trade your life? You're not the only Chapa I can use!

After they learn to control the elements, they’ll kill the Chapas and everyone else! Take a good look! See what a real wizard can do!

Yun has decided to kill Armic for vague reasons. I feel like he could perhaps have fixed their weather and then just stolen everything with no consequences, but he wants to kill Armic so we have to stop him. This is a shocking twist! Everybody thought this guy was so trustworthy!

Yun is a lame gimmick boss. The barriers around him aren't just for show; they block all damage until you break them with magic. If, after the end of a round, you have attacked Yun with the right element, a barrier will break. It has to be the right element, though, and they are never told to you. How are you supposed to figure this out? I have no idea. If you know the order, it's still annoying, because you can only break one shield per turn, meaning you have to sit there and take his attacks for five turns no matter what. After the shields are gone, though, he's a pushover. As you may remember, every final boss has a unique attack, and the Phantom's was Triple Zero, which dealt massive damage while also petrifying people. Yun's is Lost Spell, which looks kind of cool I guess?

https://thumbs.gfycat.com/ShySpryFluke-mobile.mp4

But is ultimately fairly lame. It causes a bunch of status effects, which is annoying, but deals no damage. Since the healing spells you'll be casting anyway also cure most of these effects, and many of them aren't a big deal regardless, it's really just kind of annoying. Poison is probably the most problematic, because it keeps characters from healing outside of combat.

Dealing enough LP damage (which is very easy, even if your party is nowhere near ready to fight Chaos itself) will cause him to go crazy and, of course, turn into a big dumb monster on the moon. As you do.

I will not allow those ugly little idiotic Chapas to control the elements!

Norff is understandably rather upset at his teacher turning into a big moon creature:

That power is swallowing the master! Master! Master, wake up!
An apparition left over from delusion, no longer of this world. Wretched soul indeed.
Ugh! And will my tactic work on the Tai Chi?
This is all your fault!
And now it doesn't even know what it wants!
I don’t get it.

I guess that's good enough. Thanks, Armic.

Because Chaos takes on skills from its predecessor, and Yun is pretty lame, this Chaos is less dangerous than the one Mythe fought, but it's still very powerful. It still gets Overkill in its final form, too, which is just as dangerous as it was back then. The positive is that nothing it does causes Petrify, as in Mythe's fight, or Blackout, as in Laura's story. However, everyone will definitely be paralyzed or confused, like, all the time.

I found a great appreciation for spears in this fight. After getting Chaos's HP down, even Nuage's basic Double Strike could sometimes deal more than one LP damage, meaning I wasn't so reliant on landing high-level techniques. If he pulled a level 4 attack, then he'd do 3LP -- even better! I mostly used spells for HP damage, since nobody had anything particularly great to cast except for Norff, and thus Rebecca and Kong Ming were never going to deal LP damage regardless. They were useful sacrifices in order to weaken Chaos and let the powerhouses move in for the kill. I did also keep Missile Guard up even though I don't know if it ultimately did anything useful at all. Maybe so.

Oh yeah, and Kong Ming died. I guess his tactic didn't work on the Tai Chi.

Because Overkill and Neutron Slap are both party-wide attacks, I tried to keep only one person out at a time. This meant I couldn't use Armic much, since these people would inevitably die at some point and Armic's death meant game over.

https://thumbs.gfycat.com/FrigidAdventurousLcont-mobile.mp4

Usually, I had Vearst out to heal and a damage dealer as backup. It was a gamble, since Chaos could have spammed Overkill and wiped them both out, but at other times it'd just cast Lost Spell or use Raven Blade and thus waste its turns.

Vearst is still unimaginably useless and after a while I had to pull him out to prevent his death. As soon as Norff's thunderbringers started doing LP damage, I changed up my tactics.

Every turn, I sent out one of the physical fighters and had them attack as hard as possible, over and over, until they died. This was very stupid and almost did not work, as seen in this picture of the final blow landed on Chaos:

Armic was the sole survivor of the fight, but he did it. Fight complete.

Time for the ending.

I guess Yun recovered from the whole exploding moon creature debacle, which is nice.

Armic... I've done a horrible thing. I only wanted to surpass the great wizard Leith Torles! There is no excuse for what I've done. Do to me as you wish.

Will Armic get his violent revenge? Of course not.

The Chapas love fish and our fights over fish can get quite nasty. So I know what that's like. You only love magic.

Who among us would not destroy the world over a fish? Let he who is without sin cast the first Fire Arrows.

Armic...

I can finally go home.

So he did.

We'll have to imagine what Spry and the others did while Armic saved his village because we'll never see them again. Instead, Armic has some other, more important people to meet:

And so, Armic and his enormous family went to see the rain-making ritual performed.

https://thumbs.gfycat.com/OnlyOffbeatAgama-mobile.mp4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ShbVGMZ7e2k

The End.

corn in the bible fucked around with this message at 04:44 on Feb 12, 2018

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.
Norff was a good friend until the end ;__;

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
Is it ever made clear exactly what Chaos is? Like if you were ever to go through every story would you have any lore about it? Is it just "Final boss is now Chaos, because. Have fun!" or is it more of a manifestation of man's darker nature, or some kind of Eldrich thing that the 7 wonders are making happen?

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

I don’t get it.

Look upon my true form.... and Despaaaaaaair!
I can see your true form, but I don't see a pear.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

BioEnchanted posted:

Is it ever made clear exactly what Chaos is? Like if you were ever to go through every story would you have any lore about it? Is it just "Final boss is now Chaos, because. Have fun!" or is it more of a manifestation of man's darker nature, or some kind of Eldrich thing that the 7 wonders are making happen?

Laura's final boss explicitly wants that story's macguffins so he can access "the power of Chaos" from the Wonders, but it's not clear where it came from. Judy says something about not wanting the power when she gets there, too? It seems to just be some powerful thing linked to the Wonders and the Golden Age, I guess.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

I feel like they really missed an opportunity by not having multiple final bosses and picking the one you fight at random.

TheGreatEvilKing
Mar 28, 2016

I love how Armic is so dumb he compares attempting to seize real ultimate power and going on a killing spree to fighting over a fish.

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

Basically, the Arcanians used Chaos to create the Seven Wonders and basically a whole ton of poo poo. It's not a being, it's an energy.

The Creator (yes, THAT Creator) reflexively destroyed the Arcanian civilization out of concern that the world would be overrun by Chaos, but became so upset that he had done that that he no longer interacts with the world.

Seriously, that's the backstory.

Tallgeese fucked around with this message at 18:40 on Feb 11, 2018

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem
I love the the final boss is that way because he really loving hates chapas.

habituallyred
Feb 6, 2015
Unspoken is the fact that if Yun had waited until the ritual was complete he would have interrupted Fish Time. Armic would have ended him on the spot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty

Tallgeese posted:

Basically, the Arcanians used Chaos to create the Seven Wonders and basically a whole ton of poo poo. It's not a being, it's an energy.

The Creator (yes, THAT Creator) reflexively destroyed the Arcanian civilization out of concern that the world would be overrun by Chaos, but became so upset that he had done that that he no longer interacts with the world.

Seriously, that's the backstory.

Eh, not like it's the first SaGa game where The Creator is an rear end in a top hat.

• Locked thread