Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ubiquitous_
Nov 20, 2013

by Reene
The trolling the game just did is hilarious. I love how it gave you such an important panel on someone who never uses magic at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Ubiquitous_ posted:

The trolling the game just did is hilarious. I love how it gave you such an important panel on someone who never uses magic at all.

Yeah. If I'd been up for grinding I could have made her into a real magical powerhouse, but it's a real pain in the rear end to build a magic user up from nothing. Having more healing doesn't hurt, though.

I still was able to defeat the boss though so everything worked out in the end.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

Ubiquitous_ posted:

And who has inherently awful growth in magic stats. :shepface:

Andyzero
May 22, 2009

I used to spoil, I'm sorry.
"This diamond shield is amazing."

Picture is a diamond dagger.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Ubiquitous_ posted:

SaGa, y'all.

Randalor posted:

How are the post-Gameboy games for world building anyways? I know the gameboy games had a decent amount, enough that you got a decent chunk of recent history of each area and the gist of the political situation. Do the later games have as much/more, or is it a case of "most of the world building is in supplemental material that was never released here"?

Seconding that Frontier 2 is by far the most fleshed out worldbuilding that the series has had, maybe even better than most non-SaGa RPGs. Frontier 1 is very much in the vein of this, where stuff just happens because Reasons, and you have to rely on the artbook supplement to fill in all the holes. I don't remember much of Romancing 1/Minstrel Song, but Romancing 2 and 3 at least have the decency to give a barebones explanation of why things are happening.

Granted, that explanation is sometimes "I made a spike-studded, combat-capable Formula One racer in a high fantasy setting. Test it out for me?"

(Magical Tank Battle is the best song in the Romancing line pre-Minstrel Song, fight me, but that subquest is just so goddamn goofy and if I remember its payoff - both narratively and gameplay-wise - is basically nil)

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty
Finally caught up to the thread. I've always been a fan of the gameboy games but never went past that. Interesting to see what the most obtuse of the series has to offer.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Andyzero posted:

"This diamond shield is amazing."

Picture is a diamond dagger.

Oh, I guess I wasn't clear enough, but I bought the diamond dagger because it's good material to forge into a diamond shield. I thought I had a screengrab of the shield there, too, but I guess not. I'll add an explanation of that to the post as well so it's not confusing.

Diamond is a great material that's very rare. But you can forge any weapon into a different weapon, shield, or accessory; thus, buying a diamond dagger is essentially the same as getting a diamond shield. It's finding the material itself that's most important.

corn in the bible fucked around with this message at 21:43 on Jan 4, 2018

Mimingless
Nov 23, 2007
Oh no, I have a self-esteem issue

KataraniSword posted:

Seconding that Frontier 2 is by far the most fleshed out worldbuilding that the series has had, maybe even better than most non-SaGa RPGs. Frontier 1 is very much in the vein of this, where stuff just happens because Reasons, and you have to rely on the artbook supplement to fill in all the holes. I don't remember much of Romancing 1/Minstrel Song, but Romancing 2 and 3 at least have the decency to give a barebones explanation of why things are happening.

Granted, that explanation is sometimes "I made a spike-studded, combat-capable Formula One racer in a high fantasy setting. Test it out for me?"

(Magical Tank Battle is the best song in the Romancing line pre-Minstrel Song, fight me, but that subquest is just so goddamn goofy and if I remember its payoff - both narratively and gameplay-wise - is basically nil)

Minstrel Song is generally quite good about explaining what's going on in the world, and RS2 has a slightly obscure side-area with a fairly comprehensive explanation of what exactly the seven heroes' deal is.

On the other hand after watching a full playthrough of RS3 and playing through most of it myself I still don't quite have the full picture of what's going on with the abyss and the death eclipse, although the fan translation being not great probably doesn't help with that. It does a good enough job with most everything else, and the magic tank battle was fun, at least. :v:

Mimingless fucked around with this message at 23:08 on Jan 4, 2018

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔
Because you made the game seem really interesting and could explain a lot of what seemed completely nonsensical to me the first few times I heard about it, I decided to give the game a spin. Started with Laura because she seems cool and easy enough to get into as she just hits things? Maybe?

I'm just a few story adventures in and just got murdered in the castle with the king who sacrifices people. It's super weird to me that you did this quest way late and it seems super involved and has a big boss at the end, and I could just choose it as my second sidequest! The normal encounters just kept chipping me down...didn't even get past the first floor. All the doors were locked and I went in circles until I died. RIP magic tablet off a mimic.

I haven't bought any equipment or did any crafting because I completely do not understand any of THAT. When you say "I buy a Diamond Shield because this will allow me to forge a Diamond Dagger", that's crazy talk to me. How is a black axe made of Damascus? I saw Mullock offered, I don't even know what that is irl, and the vendor only wanted to trade items, not accept my money, but I started out without any so welp.

Also, I wanted to give the prince some magic but the tablet I found was for Wood spells and I gave him a water and a fire familiar, so I'm just SOL, right? Laura starts with Fire Arrows (APPARENTLY, or how else would she be able to cast them?) but that also does zilch for further learning unless I specifically give her a fire tablet, right?

Help I think if I just bumble on further I will start to become turbofucked also in the main quest...

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Simply Simon posted:

Because you made the game seem really interesting and could explain a lot of what seemed completely nonsensical to me the first few times I heard about it, I decided to give the game a spin. Started with Laura because she seems cool and easy enough to get into as she just hits things? Maybe?

I'm just a few story adventures in and just got murdered in the castle with the king who sacrifices people. It's super weird to me that you did this quest way late and it seems super involved and has a big boss at the end, and I could just choose it as my second sidequest! The normal encounters just kept chipping me down...didn't even get past the first floor. All the doors were locked and I went in circles until I died. RIP magic tablet off a mimic.

I haven't bought any equipment or did any crafting because I completely do not understand any of THAT. When you say "I buy a Diamond Shield because this will allow me to forge a Diamond Dagger", that's crazy talk to me. How is a black axe made of Damascus? I saw Mullock offered, I don't even know what that is irl, and the vendor only wanted to trade items, not accept my money, but I started out without any so welp.

Also, I wanted to give the prince some magic but the tablet I found was for Wood spells and I gave him a water and a fire familiar, so I'm just SOL, right? Laura starts with Fire Arrows (APPARENTLY, or how else would she be able to cast them?) but that also does zilch for further learning unless I specifically give her a fire tablet, right?

Help I think if I just bumble on further I will start to become turbofucked also in the main quest...

Ok, so I'll go down the line here.

1) Laura is a good character to start with, as long as you realize that you shouldn't overwrite your save file when you're in the final dungeon. Since, uniquely, you can't grind or grow stronger in her final dungeon, and there's a save point right before you fight the final boss, it is easy to be unprepared and thus get stuck. Just, like, don't do that, and you will be fine.

2) The most basic part of crafting is just... if you go to a blacksmith, you pick the thing you want to make (bow, for example), and then the first material (this determines what the result will be made of) and then another material (doesn't do much except for special recipes). So if you have a Diamond Dagger, you can use it as the first material and you'll get a diamond whatever. Shield, sword, bow, anything. Same with any other material. If you have an item that seems useful, like a bone cross, you can try to duplicate it by making another one out of the same material! So if you selected to make a Dagger out of, say, a Wood Bow and whatever second material, you'd get a Wood Dagger. Make sense?

If you're trying to repair something, you just pick what it already is in the first step -- I mean, go to the blacksmith and ask to make a dagger out of your dagger and some other material. It'll remain the same, but have durability added to it from the second material. Some materials add more durability than others, but you'll figure that out.

There are some special recipes which require specific materials for both sides to make something new, like Damascus, but you really can just ignore those and be fine. You don't NEED damascus to succeed, especially not at first. If you still want to make some later, and you've got some mullock lying around, then you can worry about how to make it. If you want to know all the various obscure recipes there's an endlessly detailed FAQ about forging up on gamefaqs.

3) You're actually perfectly fine on the magic front! Casting any spell will work -- the element doesn't matter. So Henri can use his water familiar to learn those wood spells just fine. Similarly, Laura can use her pre-learned fire spells on any tablet you feel like giving to her. If he still isn't learning the spells, make sure you actually told him to learn from the tablet -- it's not automatically selected. Go to the status menu during a quest and pick "magic tablets," and then pick the one you want him to work on. The name will turn yellow to signify it's been selected.

You can also check what skills and spells people know from the status menu. There's an option called "Arts" or something like that and it'll list what they've sparked and what spells they know, and their effects. Lots of characters in Laura's story come with a spell or two, if I remember right, so it's good to check once they've joined.

Honestly, Laura's quest is nice in that, as long as you just decide what you want people to do and try to build their stats that way, they'll be fine. Pretty much everybody she gets is good at the things you would imagine they are good at, so they're easy to work with. If there's any questions feel free to ask and I'll try to help! I could also make some screenshots to explain things if that'll help.

E: I advise you to try and get more party members by following the story before doing a lot of sidequests. The castle is totally doable at low strength... if you have more people than just Laura and Henri.

corn in the bible fucked around with this message at 01:29 on Jan 5, 2018

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Simply Simon posted:

I saw Mullock offered, I don't even know what that is irl

Scrap metal, basically. The dregs that got mined out that nobody wants. Apparently in Unlimited Saga you make damascus by tempering steel with pig iron.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

KataraniSword posted:

Scrap metal, basically. The dregs that got mined out that nobody wants. Apparently in Unlimited Saga you make damascus by tempering steel with pig iron.

Yes. Specifically, it's

Steel + Wood = Weird steel that has 1 less attack power than normal steel (there is a 15% chance of this happening)
Mullock + opal, topaz, ravenite, lazuli, or carnelian = Weird mullock which looks identical in every way but is special somehow (100% chance, thankfully)
Then, finally, Weird steel + Weird mullock = Damascus (100% chance)

If that sounds confusing then, yeah, it's confusing and I only really made damascus stuff because it is an LP, and I already had a bunch of steel stuff anyway. It's an easy way to break the game and get endgame equipment early, but certainly not necessary by any means.

e: Unless you play as Armic, because he has to find some damascus to complete his magic list of bullshit, and good luck finding that poo poo in a store yo

corn in the bible fucked around with this message at 01:24 on Jan 5, 2018

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

KataraniSword posted:

Minstrel Song is pretty good about worldbuilding too, better than RS2 because of the eponymous Minstrel you can talk to in any bar in any city of the game and he'll tell you stories about the backstory of the world, or about certain historical events or special places etc.

Also a lot of the events that happen are part of chains that generally build upon what happened before. There are some weird one-offs though.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

corn in the bible posted:

e: Unless you play as Armic, because he has to find some damascus to complete his magic list of bullshit, and good luck finding that poo poo in a store yo

I remember Riki's quest in SaGa Frontier was pretty obnoxious, or at least his was the one I was on when I gave up the game. Mascot critter heroes get the short end of the stick.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

marshmallow creep posted:

I remember Riki's quest in SaGa Frontier was pretty obnoxious, or at least his was the one I was on when I gave up the game. Mascot critter heroes get the short end of the stick.

Riki is probably the most obnoxious quest in SaGa Frontier. For starters Riki is a monster, and unless you go read up on how Monsters work or do some long-term experimenting it's very possible he's just going to suck. Riki's story has a really great assortment of characters and races and having the rings is a nice bonus, but on the flip side his quest is drat hard expects you to know what you're doing and how to use all the people they give you. Riki's questline throws you into a tough boss really early on, it has a couple of super tough gimmicky fights including the notorious Lava Slimes and the combo exhibition, and his final boss is front and center for one of the worst dick moves in video game history.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

1) Very good advice, I'll keep that in mind!
2) Okay, that is easier than I thought (though of course still complicated in the details, but I'll just not worry about those). My biggest problem is a general dearth of materials right now, but I think this'll be better now that I actually figured out how to open treasure chests. It took me two quests to realize that there's small icons on the top of the Skill screen so you can use your Skills on monsters, treasure etc. - simply didn't even notice them before having to do it in the desert quest. Also, the repair thing is great to know, though I avoided having to repair so far by using Henri's indestructible dagger and having Laura focus on martial arts (I thought that was the least likely to gently caress me over right away).
3) Having to activate the tablet manually was the one step that was missing, so thanks for that. Now that I can actually see some tangible progress after every battle, it's far more fun! Though I do like sparking things occasionally, and it's great knowing that my actions will do...something for me along the line (more HP, different tablets).

Now I just need to get something with Wood Arts (right?) on it so I can actually CAST the spells Henri is learning. But I think an accessory just unlocked it after the latest quest...

Finally, I just got Michelle and yeesh, she really is super fragile. Also starts with a magic tablet, I forgot to check for spells...but honestly, I think I'll stick with one magic user (it's enough of a hassle) and just have her do sword stuff. Is that a waste of a free tablet?

Thanks a bunch for the advice so far! I'm having fun, so that's great, and I think it would have been completely impossible without your explanations to get to this point. I'd have been super frustrated just at things like "how come the enemy loses 20 bazillion HP but doesn't die?" or "I'm at zero HP for the entire dungeon, but that's fine somehow??".

Also for anyone inspired to follow along also: I wasn't even aware that the PS2 had L3 and R3 buttons (klick the stick in), but that's what you have to press to rest, apparently. Or is my emulator configured weirdly?

Thanks also for the explanation on Mullock! I was in a hurry to go to bed after my first play session so I didn't look it up myself :D.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Unlimited Saga, Part 13: Knights of the Round

The problem with getting a Magic Blender so late on a character with very little magic is that magic is annoying to get and there's no way to control what kind you'll find. There were certainly quests I could do that give you a tablet, but unless it was wood it wouldn't help Grace heal people and unless it was very high level it wouldn't teach my other casters anything of value. So I decided that I did not care about any of that and was going to go fight the boss to see what happened. And it worked! So that is nice.

Here's how the party prepared for the final dungeon:

Everyone is kitted out with either a high-end weapon (for physical attackers) or a weapon that lets them cast spells. We've got a few damascus weapons, and I also found another diamond so Michelle got a spear made of that. I had given her a spear panel for extra endurance, so I figured she might as well have one.

We have two obsidian armlets, both made from obsidian found in shops. None ever dropped in a dungeon. I gave one armlet to Laura, as the strongest physical attacker, and one to Mythe, who is the best healer and, of course, the protagonist. If he dies, it's game over. Everyone has at least one bone cross, because they have life protection and I kept finding cheap bone in shops; Michelle is lucky because she gets my only Angelite accessory which also boosts healing. I figured since she dies all the time she might benefit from that.

With armor, it's a mixed bag. I didn't want to risk people dying, of course, so I didn't bother finding good, light armor for anyone. They're all dressed in heavy armor, mostly quartz. Bone armor seems to be the best option but I don't have much of that. Being light-weight makes you better at evasive, supposedly, but there's nothing I can do about that.

And, of course, Tiffon, Laura, and Michelle can all bust out highly-damaging techniques on demand. We've got Grace and Sapphire for crowd control during the dungeon, and Michelle to clear out individual enemies. Mythe is the healer, and Marie is... also in the party. The fact that I kept getting wood tablets means she doesn't know anything Mythe and Sapphire don't know, and her damage output is also inferior. Ultimately, I might have been better off just using Pharr.

Everybody's equipment is at 99 durability, too, because by the end of the game money stops mattering and you can buy anything. I could certainly have done more quests and gotten stronger; there's still people with level 3 panels about that could be replaced given time, and I could have perhaps found some more fancy stuff in the shops as well. But This wasn't intended to be a 100% run of the game, and the party is ready for what's in store. It's time to go. The Knights await!

Jesus Christ that is pathetic.

Mythe... I appreciate it.

We've been here before, of course, and the early part of the dungeon remains the same. However, now that we've got a bonafide ancient on our side, we can read those mysterious signs and actually progress.

A few things have changed, though. The enemies are much stronger, for one:

However, these guys are still the same:

Ah, the memories. There's two buttons with an intruder alarm hooked up to them, and the first step to clearing Pharos is to press them both. Each disables some of the barriers on the third floor, and so both are needed to progress. Technically, you can do this part during your first visit, but since the other buttons are inoperable it's as far as you can go. Now, however, we'll be able to activate the rest of the ruins and reach the Knights who lurk within.

Incidentally, some people have asked if there's any particular reason Silver Girl has been sent here, or why Mythe would need to kill the Knights of the Round Table. Well, not in this story there isn't. Everything there is to know about the Knights themselves comes from Ventus's story, which also involves them (and our friend Silver Girl, as well). From his scenario, we know they are somehow in charge of the undead in the world; they create vampires and other evil things like that. Nobody can kill them, because they're powerful and ancient and live in a big dungeon that nobody can enter. So it makes sense that someone would want to get rid of them, but we're given no context. These are bad people (ghosts? gods? whatever) and Iskandar asked us to kill them, so we are going to kill them.

With Faedaljen in tow we can actually tell what the buttons in the dungeon do. For example, here's one of the switches on the third floor. We could reach it during our initial visit, but Mythe wouldn't press it because he didn't know what it did. Now we've got a translator, so he's willing to mess about.

Incidentally, here's a Satanachia. They're the toughest kind of demon you can run into, and they look kind of cool.

They're actually quite strong, with high LP and a variety of powerful magic attacks. They're used as mini-bosses sometimes, but we've progressed to a point where they can show up as random encounters.

In the northwest part of the floor we find another switch.

We've got the power going up here, but we need the first floor to be powered up as well, and the barriers are in the way. So the solution is to head to the center of the map:

This turns all the first floor barriers off, but raises the ones up here. So it's best to do each floor in its entirety before switching.

Since the first floor is now open for exploration, it's a simple task to search around and find the power switches. Once you've got everything turned on, you can activate a special machine on the first floor to turn every barrier off.

This also activates the elevator, which is initially parked on the second floor and out of reach. Once you get everything turned on, it'll move to either the first or third floor, and then you can get on.

As you might have guessed, the second floor is where we want to be. The elevator stops at an otherwise-inaccessible area in between the two energy distribution buttons. Once it's here, there's no getting back on -- the elevator won't move.

This is where the Knights are hiding. You can, optionally, fight an extra-powerful Satanachia to fix the elevator and allow free movement between all three floors. Why would you do this when the final boss is right there and you can't leave the dungeon anyway? Well, it's because of this:

Every final dungeon has a Tetra Force in it. You can use it to save your game, restore everybody's LP, and be awarded a new set of panels -- just like when you finish an adventure. This means that you can, indeed, continue to grind in the final dungeon, gaining power and improving your characters. There's a restriction on its use, though: you can't use it at full health, and each time you use it you need to have lower and lower LP. Still, if you get to the end and decide you need just a little more power, you can level a bit this way. If you found a tablet in the dungeon you can give it to somebody and maybe learn a spell or two before fighting the boss. And with Quick-Fix or Recycle to repair your weapons, you can probably stay here forever. So, they gave the player a way to leave this little area and return to where the enemies are.

Laura's final dungeon doesn't have this courtesy, by the way. The Tetra force is in a small room with no enemies and nowhere to go but the final encounter, so you get some new panels right away but can't get any stronger. Since the final boss is always a huge increase in difficulty this can result in an unwinnable save file, and that's terrible.

We don't need to grind, but the Tetra Force's final set of panels actually did give me something nice. Check it out:

Sapphire finally got her Blender, and unlike Grace she's got a lot of spells to choose from. So let's look at that.

The way it works is, you choose a spell to customize. Like so:

Then you pick three other spells, and they make the first spell stronger. The HP cost will go up too, though.

If you've played Minstrel Song this'll be familiar. If you mix in several high-level spells it'll increase the damage (or healing) by quite a lot, and so even if you don't muck about with recipes and FAQs and so on the Blender will improve your caster's efficacy. It is very, very good. However, sometimes you'll even get a brand new spell based on the original. For example, if you shove some water and wood spells into Purify, you may get Refresh, and that's the best curing spell in the game. It heals more AND cures more status effects than the regular Purify. So that's what I went with.

Alright, here we go!

Come on, you can do it.

In place of Iskandar and the lost gods, I call to those of the Round Table in the still waters of time! Forsake your lust, there is no everlasting life. Release the world from your soiled hands. You are not our gods.

And that's all you get. It is time for the final boss!

We are here to kill the Knights of the Round Table. They will face us, one-by-one, until they're all dead.

As you can see, there's a limit on how many people we can have out at one time. You probably wouldn't want to put a full group out at once regardless, but this means that if 3 people are dead, knocked out, or petrified on the field at once, well... it's game over. There's not a lot of leeway for error here.

This guy has a spear, and he has 14 LP. Since he is undead, and since Grace has access to her water spells, I have her Detect Undead to lower his defense.

Grace, Michelle, and Laura are the best physical attacked we have right now. Tiffon is usually much better than Grace, but the Knights are also undead so she can't really hurt them.

While Spear Knight has a lot of health, he's not actually that intimidating. His ability to deal damage is pretty limited, since it's all physical attacks that the party can block or evade fairly easily. With a few rounds of combos, he goes down.

When he's dead, he's replaced with Sword Knight.

Sword Knight knows some magic, and assuming you've got shields or parrying stuff on everybody that ends up being the real danger here. If you're lucky he'll use mostly physical attacks, and you'll block them.

He is very fast, which is dangerous because he can combo with himself and do a lot of damage. However, if that happens, it opens the way for your characters to do a nice, long combo.

Sword Knight has 10 LP. Again, though, he's mostly dangerous because of attrition -- he might only get a few good hits in, but the party is pretty fragile and there's a lot more still to come. Tiffon actually had a chance to shine here, because Laura was having trouble getting through this guy's LP defense. While Tiffon can't do any HP damage, due to her phobia, that doesn't stop her from doing LP damage with Bloody Mary.

Club Knight is terrible. He's weak, and dies quickly. However, he can cast sleep, and if you're caught unawares this could lead to serious trouble. Remember, if everyone on the field is incapacitated at once, that's it. Game over. If your characters don't fall asleep he's not too bad, though. Next!

Ok, so this is Staff Knight, and he has lots of powerful magic attacks. His modus operandi is to buff himself with meditation, rainbringer, and so on, then follow up for massive spell damage. Thankfully, since he is a wizard, you can probably deal with him relatively quickly. He's only got 6 LP and, you know, he's a wizard. Dude can't take a punch.

This guy, however, is a huge pain. He's got massive amounts of health, 22 LP, high defense, and while he only knows two moves they're pretty good ones. He can either spray poison for magic damage, or attack with his axe. Since I kitted everyone out to help deal with piercing attacks, they're vulnerable to this, and it hurts a lot.

He almost managed to kill Michelle before I took him down. The problem with Axe Knight isn't that his damage is extreme -- he'll probably only deal 1 LP per hit -- but that he takes so long to kill that he has a lot of time to dish out that damage. If you continually heal during your turns, you've got a better chance of surviving to fight...

It's Club Knight again! This time he has less LP but does more damage and has more defense. This means he survives long enough to pull off his strongest attack:

Pellet is the ultimate earth-elemental spell. It's a Blender spell, and has very specific and rare requirements, so you're basically never going to see it except during this fight. It does hurt a fair bit, I guess?

But it is still Club Knight and he dies in his very first round. Club Knight is the worst Knight.

The return of Sword Knight! This time he's faster and gets more actions, meaning he's able to deal some damage and cast his spells. It's best when he tries to cast debuffs, because they usually don't work.

When he uses attack spells it works quite well, though. Still dies quickly, but he manages to get off a fair number of attacks in the process.

After this, it's the return of Staff Knight, and this time he's a lot more dangerous. Here's why:

He can paralyze party members! Now, you can cure paralysis with Purify, so it's not a huge deal, but each paralyzed person lowers the amount of actions you can take, plus there's only room for three before you lose the game. Thankfully, he's kind of a one-trick pony.

Spear Knight is exactly the same and exactly as unimpressive. Laura's shield skills make her mostly invincible to this kind of enemy so she just hits him with an axe over and over until he falls down.

Rest in peace Spear Knight 2.0. The battle is over. Sapphire finally learns Detect Vegeplasts, which I'm sure will be useful.

But you knew there had to be a final form, right? With all ten Knights gone, we now must face their leader.

Attacking us with your Mortal Weapons. Fools! Die!

This is Phantom, and he is an rear end in a top hat. The only member of our party who's actually still at full health is Grace, who somehow managed to remain unscathed through the entire fight with the Knights. She'll be the tank for this fight, assuming she doesn't get petrified. Or killed.

https://thumbs.gfycat.com/PhysicalShortDachshund-mobile.mp4

Phantom's got two main attacks: Triple Zero, which is a physical attack that does a normal amount of damage and petrifies people, and Bloody Sword which is a physical attack that does an enormous amount of damage and does not petrify people. He can also use some regular spells, which are a welcome respite from everyone being killed all the time.

The most LP damage an attack can deal is 3. So at least he can't do more than that, I guess. And thankfully, while combos break the damage limit for the player, they do not do that when the enemy attacks. So, in a sense, it's actually better when this guy builds a huge combo because it ends up reducing his damage overall. Like this:

He's able to kill most of the party in a single turn if he gets lucky. Michelle, who had 3 LP left after fighting the Knights, stood no chance.

Bloody Sword can be blocked, which is nice. Doesn't seem to happen much, but it's appreciated.

Michelle is dead, so someone has to waste a turn moving her corpse. Otherwise, she'll take up space and reduce the number of actions we can take, so she has to go. Tiffon gets the job, mostly because it's OK if Tiffon gets hit since she has very little to do in this boss fight. She could manage LP damage against the Knights, but Phantom's defense is of course much higher and she can't do anything.

Finally, he begins to take LP damage. With Michelle and her spears gone, and Tiffon too scared, the only character left who can deal piercing damage is Grace. She is able to deal the killing blow!

We are Immortal. We are Immortal. We will continue to exist forever.

https://thumbs.gfycat.com/SimplisticFailingClumber-mobile.mp4

But you knew there had to be a final form, right? With Phantom gone, we now must face Chaos.

Are you saying you’re the ultimate truth of this world?

This is Chaos, and it is the final boss of Unlimited Saga. What exactly it is, well, that's unclear. Some kind of celestial being? Something related to the moons? Some kind of weird meta-commentary on the game design of Unlimited Saga? Who knows. Regardless, every character has a boss related to their own story, and then after killing him or her they also have to fight their own version of Chaos too. Usually, though, it's a single person, or maybe it's somebody with a guard accompanying them. Ventus actually fights Phantom and the Knights in his own storyline, but not as the final boss, and he has access to free health regeneration and a variety of tanky characters, meaning it's actually not particularly difficult. Plus he doesn't have to fight Chaos immediately afterwards, since that happens later on.

Characters regain a little LP before the fight begins, though, so dead Michelle is alive again (albeit with 1 LP) and everyone else heals up a bit. Not to full, though.

Since Michelle is a dead woman walking, I send her out early. Later on, Chaos will use attacks that deal direct LP damage and they'll definitely kill her, so she might as well do her best while she can.

As you can imagine, the Chaos fight has several phases. However, it does not regain HP between the phases, meaning the best strategy is to deal as much as possible before it starts pulling out the big, killer attacks. Then, when it's weak, you can have Tiffon or whoever run in and stab it to death.

If you were wondering why I brought Tiffon to fight a bunch of undead, well... I forgot. But it still worked out, so shut up.

https://thumbs.gfycat.com/EnviousAgitatedGermanspaniel-mobile.mp4

Rest in peace, Michelle. Again.

The first phase of Chaos isn't really that dangerous. Sure, it killed Michelle, but she was almost dead already. It can inflict paralysis through Seal of the Abyss, but we don't have to worry about maximum participants this time so it's not a major issue. Nothing it does is as dangerous as Bloody Sword or Triple Zero; nothing does more than 1 LP. And most of its attacks can be deflected or evaded, meaning it may do no damage at all.

You can tell it's low on HP when it moves its wing.

However, this is just a visual cue. It won't change behavior until you deal enough damage to make it change forms, at which point it loses a mask and starts casting thunderbringer all the time.

It can also cast Breath of Chaos, which causes Blackout.

However, if your party actually makes it through all the Knights and Phantom, the first two phases won't be anything you can't handle. They're dangerous, but no more dangerous than the Sword Knight you killed to get here -- twice!

Once it loses both masks, things change.

Up to this point, Chaos was identical for every character. This is why it's such a step down in difficulty for Mythe. However, once you reach the third form, Chaos gains the abilities of whoever the story's final boss was. So...

It also gets some unique spells, like Neutron Slap, which hits the entire party. At this point, all I can do is have Laura, Tiffon, and Mythe use their strongest attacks over and over in the hopes it will die. Sapphire, who is the only one that knows Refresh, gets killed by a double Triple Zero combo. In the end, it's Tiffon who lands the killing blow with Bloody Mary.

But of course, there's a FINAL FORM.

Now we're in... a painting? Space? Who knows. This time, Chaos gets full HP and 20 LP, and we have to drain it all again.

This form gets a bunch of new attacks, but ironically none are as powerful as the ones Phantom used, so the effect is to make this form weaker than the third one as it can't spam Triple Zero all the time.

Well, except for this one:

https://thumbs.gfycat.com/TimelySpitefulAmazontreeboa-mobile.mp4

Basically, whoever I send out will take at least 3 LP damage, but may take much more. So I can never put Mythe on the front lines again, but that's ok because there's also no point in healing anybody. It is a pure damage race, in which everybody is sent out to do as much damage as possible and then die.

Laura, Grace, and Tiffon all die. In the end, it's Marie who deals the killing blow, with her only actual attack, Fire Arrows.

Good work Marie. You finally did something useful. By the way, the total LP of Mythe's final boss sequence is 170LP, more than his entire party.

I can't wait to show it to her. And I'm dying to hear what she'll say. I'm off. To be by her side.

And that's the end.

I haven't decided who the next playthrough should be. Updates will be less frequent from now on since I have to record another playthrough, plus work, but I'm sure I'll figure something out. So stay tuned!

corn in the bible fucked around with this message at 15:41 on Jan 5, 2018

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty
...And nothing was gained from that adventure!

Oh, SaGa...

sethimothy
Nov 1, 2006

Nyu for 1d4 points of damage

Jesus Christ that is pathetic.

Mythe is worse than a hopeless romantic, he's a hopeful one. I suppose that makes this ending, as short and sudden as it is, all the more fitting. Congrats!

My vote for next playthrough is Ventus to answer the questions we might have from this storyline.

Also... I pledge that If the original poster completes all seven story arcs, he may have his choice of singular game worth no more than $40 American (but before tax) gifted to his steam profile. I understand that you are a busy individual, so I will extend this offer until December 21st, 2020.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

That final boss looked just obnoxious. It's fine to have multiple phases but that was overkill, and unexplained overkill at that. That said, goddamn it was pretty, especially that last background.

I'm glad the ending of this adventure is that Mythe doesn't get the girl and keeps being just as pathetic as ever. "Sure, she said no and left me, BUT I'LL MAKE SOMETHING COOL AND SHE'LL PAY ATTENTION TO ME". loving hell, Mythe.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Mythe with the ol' hoverhands here.

Ubiquitous_
Nov 20, 2013

by Reene

sethimothy posted:

Mythe is worse than a hopeless romantic, he's a hopeful one. I suppose that makes this ending, as short and sudden as it is, all the more fitting. Congrats!

My vote for next playthrough is Ventus to answer the questions we might have from this storyline.

Also... I pledge that If the original poster completes all seven story arcs, he may have his choice of singular game worth no more than $40 American (but before tax) gifted to his steam profile. I understand that you are a busy individual, so I will extend this offer until December 21st, 2020.

On top of that, I'll chip in $20.00 so he can get any new game of his choice.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Choco1980 posted:

...And nothing was gained from that adventure!

Oh, SaGa...

Mythe built a cool plane, so it was all worth it

dotchan
Feb 28, 2008

I wanna get a Super Saiyan Mohawk when I grow up! :swoon:

sethimothy posted:

Mythe is worse than a hopeless romantic, he's a hopeful one. I suppose that makes this ending, as short and sudden as it is, all the more fitting.

At least the game doesn't throw Mythe a last minute love interest out of his harem as "compensation" for falling for the one woman who would never return his affections, and he spends the rest of his life making trinkets for a robot lady who's all: "What is this thing you call love, strange human?"

Dragonturtle
Feb 23, 2017

Congratulations on breaking the LP curse for Unlimited Saga! Here is where it gets fun now :getin:

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

quote:

what the gently caress

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

Holy poo poo that's an absurd amount of phases for even a final boss. I think LP as an attrition mechanic is okay for dungeon crawling, but in a fight as long as this, it really just forces a damage race, no? You can't heal them ever, and you can't mitigate damage to them either no matter how high your HP is, no matter how often you heal, if I understood the boss mechanics correctly?

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Simply Simon posted:

Holy poo poo that's an absurd amount of phases for even a final boss. I think LP as an attrition mechanic is okay for dungeon crawling, but in a fight as long as this, it really just forces a damage race, no? You can't heal them ever, and you can't mitigate damage to them either no matter how high your HP is, no matter how often you heal, if I understood the boss mechanics correctly?

This isn't entirely true. First of all, having blocking weapons or shields can help with the bosses' physical attacks. Just because something is a ridiculous laser or whatever doesn't mean a character can't parry or evade it. Laura and Marie had good shields and a shield skill, so this was fairly reliable for them. And the Skill stat makes evasion more likely, too. Finally, Life Protection can reduce or eliminate LP damage from an attack, which is why I made so many Bone Crosses. Lots of accessories offer this ability, but I saw a lot of bone in the shops so it seemed the easiest. Only purely elemental attacks, like Overkill, can't ever be deflected by a sword.

Also, while being at max HP doesn't prevent LP damage when you're dealing with attacks that powerful, having any HP at all will always make LP damage less likely. It's just that you can restore some HP simply by swapping someone out for a turn or two, so healing spells had become less useful by the end. They were very helpful in getting to Phantom with relatively little damage, though, and for surviving the early phases of Chaos.

You could also simply grind to a point where his attacks don't wipe out your HP instantly, which would make the fight much safer. But that's hella boring yo.

E: you guys are insane if you think I'm doing this seven times. What would I even talk about

corn in the bible fucked around with this message at 21:29 on Jan 5, 2018

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

It is curious and wants to accept all kinds of challenges

E: you guys are insane if you think I'm doing this seven times. What would I even talk about

the plot?

BrightWing
Apr 27, 2012

Yes, he is quite mad.

quote:

Lol I'mma run mage Kurt for shits and giggles

Something like that?

Stormgear
Feb 12, 2014
So I guess the point to Mythe's story is that the power of love and desperately wanting to impress a girl who's way too good for you can overcome all racial limitations and finally inspire true creation rather than mere plagiarism?

Seems legit.

I mean, they do say that desperation is the mother of all invention. I don't think they meant this particular kind of desperation though.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Just talk about each character and how their stories go. You don't need to say everything once and over again, you can skip sidequests and the like or only show funny unique moments. You don't need to make every story comprehensive, especially seeing how the game clearly doesn't give a poo poo about having a plot considering how it was randomly plotdumped just before the end and with no explanation here.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Stormgear posted:

So I guess the point to Mythe's story is that the power of love and desperately wanting to impress a girl who's way too good for you can overcome all racial limitations and finally inspire true creation rather than mere plagiarism?

Seems legit.

I mean, they do say that desperation is the mother of all invention. I don't think they meant this particular kind of desperation though.

It is supposed to be that Mythe has learned from his experience that it's wrong to cling to the past. When he starts, he's working on repairing old mechanisms without really understanding how they work, in the hope of recapturing the power of the Golden Age. Iskandar tells him that all those relics are made by a completely different race and Silver Girl tells him that those relics were abandoned for a reason, so he decides to make his own technology without relying on the past. That's his character arc. The Knights are immortal and evil, so they represent an inability to move on and accept that things die. They're keeping the past alive and have to be destroyed so humanity can move on.

That's the story they were trying to tell. Wasn't very clear though. Also, it is somewhat undermined by his still wanting to bone Silver Girl.

corn in the bible fucked around with this message at 23:03 on Jan 5, 2018

Ratoslov
Feb 15, 2012

Now prepare yourselves! You're the guests of honor at the Greatest Kung Fu Cannibal BBQ Ever!

No woman in the history of anything has ever been impressed by a guy with an orinthopter.

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

SaGa Frontier - Riki's Quest
SaGa Frontier II - Battle of South Mountop
Unlimited SaGa - Hold My Beer

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Matryoshka dolls in jRPG final boss form. :psyduck:

The final forms keep coming.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

im gonna do this one cause i've never successfully done it before. so it should be interesting!

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Please post all his voice acting.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem
I had an "Aw poo poo" moment at Chaos used Triple Zero!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Please practice self-care OP :ohdear:

• Locked thread