Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shardix
Sep 14, 2011

The end! No moral.

Roach, the Hardholder

Captured by raiders as a child, Roach learned everything they had to teach and took it all to heart. No doubt her former owner would be very proud of her if she hadn't strangled him to death with a length of barbed wire. The rest of his gang that didn't immediately fall in line followed him into the great beyond. A few years passed and she found she had a knack for leading people and taking the things other people weren't able to keep, and she found that she enjoyed it immensely. Eventually she set her sights on acquiring a permanent base of operations, and The Warren was one of the best you could hope to find. It had been a prison back in old people times and was virtually unassailable. Too bad they never planned for someone to just walk in, request a meeting with their leader, and stab him to death with a letter opener. They were all a bit lost as to what to do after that. A lot of people left, some fought and died, and others decided to just join in on the madness.

Roach is an animal. A predator at the top of the food chain to be sure, but an animal all the same. She lives strictly according to her wants and needs and pays no heed to things like justice or altruism. She believes might makes right, and has no qualms about proving that point in as violent and ugly a fashion as is necessary. She has big plans and good instincts, but none of the hard won experience that comes with age. Plenty of people have flocked to her banner, lured by the promise of good living in return for a bit of dirty work now and again. Her charisma has kept things functioning well enough so far but her complete disinterest in enforcing any real kind of discipline means her soldiers are quite a handful at the best of times. Despite being a nasty piece of work, Roach tries to keep the people of Warren more or less happy - but only because her wife tells her she should. As long as those piss-ants pay the rent, Roach will pretend to care about them.

What do you desperately need?
Electricity is the biggest issue. There's a power plant called Electric Avenue that the Warren is hooked up to, but I don't control it and I don't have people who could run it even if I did. I aim to remedy that situation eventually, but as it stands? It would take too many bodies to make it worth my while to seize the place. So for now I have to play nice with Cat Strangler and his crew.

Who is someone you have a strong relationship with?
Queen Moh is my sweety, and there's nothing I wouldn't do to make her happy. She's full of good ideas, like taking over the Warren and making protection arrangements with nearby settlements. Feel free to grovel at her feet if you like. Just don't stare at her. It makes me think you have something unwholesome in mind. And if you have something unwholesome in mind for Moh, I have something unwholesome in mind for your genitals.

In what other ways is the world wrong?
...There are things out there. Nobody who knows what you mean can really put a more apt term to them beyond things. Vaguely human shapes, off in the distance. Watching. Waiting. And so far as I have ever seen or heard it is only when you're alone. I think they prefer it that way, because otherwise someone would be there to stop you if you succumb to the voices.

What do I mean, voices? Just what I said. They get into your mind, dredge up old memories and steal their words and images for their own. You could be off hunting and suddenly you'll hear your mother call you to come in and wash up for supper, or you'll see that girl you like so much coyly smiling at you from behind a tree. I don't know what happens if you listen. If you follow. Considering how often you hear tales of people simply vanishing with no explanation, I don't think you come back.

Not much in this world scares me. This, though? This scares me. The way the darkness scared me when I was little.

quote:

Name: Roach
Look: woman, showy armor, gorgeous face, commanding eyes, sensual body

Stats:
Cool+1
Hard+2
Hot+1
Sharp+1
Weird-2

Moves:
Leadership
Wealth

Gear:
shotgun (3-harm close messy)
machete (3-harm hand messy)
body armor (2-armor)

quote:

The Warren (refurbished prison complex)

By default, your holding has:
75-150 souls.
for gigs, a mix of hunting, crude farming, and scavenging (surplus: 1-barter, want: hungry).
a makeshift compound of concrete, sheet metal and rebar. Your gang gets +1 armor when fighting in its defense.
an armory of scavenged and makeshift weapons.
a garage of 4 utility vehicles and 4 specialized battle vehicles (detail with the MC).
a gang of about 40 violent bastards (2-harm gang medium unruly 1-armor)

Choose 4:
for gigs, add lucrative raiding. Surplus: +1barter, want: +reprisals
for gigs, add protection tribute. Surplus: +1barter, want: +obligation
your gang is large instead of medium, 60 violent bastards or so
your compound is tall, deep and mighty, of stone and iron. Your gang gets +2armor when fighting in its defense

And choose 2:
your gang is a pack of loving hyenas. Want: +savagery.
your population is decadent and perverse. Surplus: -1barter, want: +savagery.

Shardix fucked around with this message at 23:35 on Dec 23, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shardix
Sep 14, 2011

The end! No moral.
What are some ideas that Queen Moh has put forth that you've rejected, and why?

There was the suggestion to get into slave trading, but I shot that down right away. First, that's kind of messed up considering both of us know exactly what that's like. Second, enough people hate me and my Glee Club as it is. Slave taking would be one step too far and every band of jag-offs in a hundred mile radius would be lacing up their stomping boots and even I don't have that many bullets.

She also floated the idea of hiring ourselves out to other holds as extra guns when things are quiet over here. Now, I like the idea in principle so long as we ignore the fact that it is never quiet over here. We get to be violent and we get to get paid for it. Thing is, how would it look for me to take orders from some other hardholder? I have a reputation to consider. And no matter how you slice it a mercenary is a subordinate to the person hiring them. Still. It's a solid fallback plan if necessary. I can swallow my pride if things get tight and Moh has to eat.

Who's the best member of your gang and why? Who's the worst member of your gang and why?

Bleak is a mountain. Ugly as sin and rock solid. He's been around since I was little, and while I might be king of the Glee Club I won't deny he is the heart and soul of my gang. He's everyone favorite uncle, never too busy to lend an ear or offer some good advice. And if I need something dealt with quickly and messily, he's my go-to guy. Ask him to show you his teeth collection sometime.

Left Nut is useless. She's Right Nut's kid sister and she is really, really into being part of the Glee Club. She just happens to be terrible at it. I tell her to stand watch, she'll fall asleep. I tell her to drive a crew over to Good Frank's farm and collect the protection money and she'll get lost for three hours and come back without the jingle. I tell her to smile when Evil Frank slaps her rear end because he's a guy that can sew your bits back on when they get shot off, she'll tell her big brother and now I'm dealing with that whole mess and if it weren't for the fact that Right Nut is one of my best shooters I'd feed her to Good Frank's pigs and be done with it. A complete fuckup in every respect.

What does Cat Strangler demand in exchange for providing electricity?

Jingle, usually, and no interfering with him or his people. But he also collect things - these weird little figurines he calls "Precious Moments". I don't get it. They're creepy as hell, but he is obsessed with them. One of those and that's a couple months of juice paid for. The problem of course is: if somebody does find one, they sure as hell aren't going to hand it over to you when they could take it directly to Cat Strangler and live it up on Electric Avenue.

A free tip: Don't find one and break it, and if you do make absolutely nobody finds out. Inger was a scavenger. Lucked out and was walking into the Avenue with one of those little statues. Tripped over his own feet and dropped it on the concrete and we don't talk about what Cat Strangler did to Inger.

Shardix
Sep 14, 2011

The end! No moral.
Some initial Hx has been done in the discord, but I'll post what's been decided for Roach so far and update as things get decided.

Which one of you has been with me since before? (if you were with Roach from before, it means you fell in with a band of raiders, however or whyever that came about)

Harvest posted:

I could definitely see having been with Roach from before, if we reframe Razorwire as a subordinate. Elsewise I'll leave that free for Pumpkin to weigh in on.

Which one of you has betrayed or stolen from me?

---

Meanwhile, Roach is one of Hoarfrost's followers.

MC posted:

So did you join Hoarfrost's cult recently or have you been part of it for a while?

Pretty recent. Just something in Hoarfrost's message really sunk a hook into Roach's head
Which Roach finds kind of surprising. She was never into any kind of spiritual anything before that. Very much someone with feet firmly planted on the ground.

-----

quote:

a garage of 4 utility vehicles

bulldozer, "Fat Albert"
speed=0, handling=0, massive=3, 2-armor
strengths: rugged, workhorse
looks: powerful
weakness: slow, loud

pickup
speed=1, handling=1, massive=2, 0-armor
strengths: uncomplaining
looks: spikes & plates
weakness: lazy

scout bike
speed=1, handling=0, massive=0, 0-armor
strengths: fast, responsive
looks: sleek, flashy
weakness: skinny, bucking

deuce and a half
speed=0, handling=1, massive=3, 1-armor
strengths: huge, powerful
looks: garish
weakness: sloppy

quote:

4 specialized battle vehicles

war buggy x2
speed=1, handling=1, massive=2, 1-armor
strengths: aggressive, responsive
looks: sleek, muscular
weakness: cramped
mounted machine guns (3-harm close/far area messy)

APC, "Meatfucker"
speed=0, handling=0, massive=3, 3-armor
strengths: capacious, offroad
looks: pristine
Mounted 50cal mg (5-harm far area messy)

APC, "Glasgow Kiss"
speed=1, handling=0, massive=3, 1-armor
strengths: capacious, offroad
looks: spikes and plates
Ram or ramming spikes (as a weapon, vehicle inflicts +1harm)
Mounted boarding platform or harness (+1 to attempts to board another vehicle from this one)

Most of the hold's vehicles are scavenged and repaired, the results of uncountable man-hours spent hauling them in and fixing them up, one part at a time. The bulldozer and M35 cargo truck were already fixtures of the Warren and getting her hands on them was one reason Roach was so eager to seize the place. Her pride and joy, however, is Meatfucker and Glasgow Kiss. On extended patrol, Roach came across the remnants of an old military base and in one lonely corner sat a pair of pristine, untouched armored personnel carriers. How they had gone overlooked by all the scavengers that had to have thoroughly combed the place over the years, she does not know. Providence, she supposes. The Warren is rather lax regarding rules but one thing is absolutely concrete. You do not touch the APCs, or even approach them, without permission. Roach's boys and girls have explicit permission to gun down anybody who looks to be messing around with them.

Most of Glasgow Kiss's armor was stripped off to reinforce its brother and to allow for better top speed. It also had its weapons stripped, as ammunition is just a bit too scarce to feed all four combat vehicles adequately.

Shardix fucked around with this message at 19:16 on Jan 6, 2018

Shardix
Sep 14, 2011

The end! No moral.
Barracuda has been with me since before

Harvest has betrayed or stolen from me

---

Barracuda : hx=2

Hoarfrost: hx=1

Harvest: hx=3

Shardix
Sep 14, 2011