Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
How much money do you spend on this game?
This poll is closed.
Thar she blows ($300/mo.) 9 5.52%
We got our hooks in 'em ($100-$300/mo.) 11 6.75%
They's taking the bait! ($20-100/mo.) 25 15.34%
Toss 'em back in the sea. (F2P - $20/mo.) 118 72.39%
Total: 163 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!
Just got around to doing the Phoenix 2* fight and boy was that loads easier than the Leviathan 2* fight. Bit of a DPS check which could give some a hard time, I suppose.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PDQ Law
Aug 4, 2011
Does anyone want a solo unit for the Garuda raid? I'm testing an evasion Noctis with Pure White Blessing build because I'm having mobile connectivity issues and want something so I can remote in to my computer and just hit auto. Otherwise I'll leave my friend unit as bird killer Frye with dual Magistral Crests instead of RoLs.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

hagie posted:

I remember Bahamut, Titan and Ifrit being way harder, but the metas were considerably different. I think Ifrit and maybe Titan were Barrage meta...

It was possible to one round him without Orlandu but anyone who pulled Orlandu was basically guaranteed to obliterate Ifrit.

I remember going from a mish-mash of units that could sometimes kill ELT to pulling Olive and Orlandu who proceeded to do terrible things to Ifrit. :black101:

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

Evil Fluffy posted:

It was possible to one round him without Orlandu but anyone who pulled Orlandu was basically guaranteed to obliterate Ifrit.

I remember going from a mish-mash of units that could sometimes kill ELT to pulling Olive and Orlandu who proceeded to do terrible things to Ifrit. :black101:

The only thing I remember about ifrit was building a lightning who could solo him in just about an hour.

werdnam
Feb 16, 2011
The scientist does not study nature because it is useful to do so. He studies it because he takes pleasure in it, and he takes pleasure in it because it is beautiful. If nature were not beautiful it would not be worth knowing, and life would not be worth living. -- Henri Poincare
Black Giancryst quest continues. I'm now 0 for 5 giancrysts pulled in Extra Stage 1. Anyone have the link to the depressing math about how often one should expect to run the Chamber stages to draw giancrysts? I'm now regretting not farming Gagazet for 90000 more MK currency to buy 3 black giancrysts. Oh Gumi, why do you have to make this so ridiculously hard?

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

This raid is so easy it's not likely, but if any noobs need a carry, hit me up, I have a noctis up who can solo elt garuda.

hagie
Apr 6, 2004

All sensitivity has long ago atrophied

werdnam posted:

Black Giancryst quest continues. I'm now 0 for 5 giancrysts pulled in Extra Stage 1. Anyone have the link to the depressing math about how often one should expect to run the Chamber stages to draw giancrysts? I'm now regretting not farming Gagazet for 90000 more MK currency to buy 3 black giancrysts. Oh Gumi, why do you have to make this so ridiculously hard?

They know exactly what they are doing. They are hoping your feeble attempts will cause you to dump all your lapis into hunting down those crystals, and then buy more.

Black and Power are the 2 banes of my existence right now and i refuse to spend any more money on this game.

Scrublord Prime
Nov 27, 2007

Techs man, loving Techs :argh:

Acelerion
May 3, 2005

Looking at the JP release schedule, it appears we could be getting the FF IV event as soon as next week.

It will come with an updated version of Kain and Rydia - how do these units stack up to everyone else? It would appear Rydia is a black mage / summoner with some maybe interesting 'spend esper orbs for nukes' abilities, and kain is a multi elemental imperil chainer.

Dana Crysalis
Jun 27, 2007
the title-less

Acelerion posted:

Looking at the JP release schedule, it appears we could be getting the FF IV event as soon as next week.

Your first mistake is believing the JP release schedule

Acelerion
May 3, 2005

Thats why I say 'as soon as' - Im sure there will be time for another tomb raider collab

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Not particularly good either in the 6* or 7* eras. Actually pretty mediocre/bad. Kain's helmet is pretty good though

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!

Acelerion posted:

It will come with an updated version of Kain and Rydia - how do these units stack up to everyone else? It would appear Rydia is a black mage / summoner with some maybe interesting 'spend esper orbs for nukes' abilities, and kain is a multi elemental imperil chainer.

As with 90% of the nostalgia characters, they're only really worth rolling for if you loved the character.

Right now people should be saving their tickets for: CG Lid, CG Nichol, Sephiroth/Lila, Hyou. You could include Reagan on that list too if you don't have the setup for TDH Hyou.

Dana Crysalis
Jun 27, 2007
the title-less
Or save your tickets for th GL Exclusive banners that we have no knowledge of because they'll probably be top tier as usual. Hi Ang, A2, Christine, etc, etc, etc

Ugato
Apr 9, 2009

We're not?

PaybackJack posted:

As with 90% of the nostalgia characters, they're only really worth rolling for if you loved the character.

Right now people should be saving their tickets for: CG Lid, CG Nichol, Sephiroth/Lila, Hyou. You could include Reagan on that list too if you don't have the setup for TDH Hyou.

Reagan is one of the best starter characters there is, honestly. He’s got innate DW, HE frames, very flexible gearing options, a damage/mana battery ability, two 60% imperils, AoE 50% resists buff, AoE 60% stat buffs. And his LB is pretty good too.

With Fryevia being the beast she is and the lower prevalence of tdh on global, Reagan might give Sephiroth a run for his money. One of Sephy’s big selling points is his katana which has a DH passive.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Ugato posted:

Reagan is one of the best starter characters there is

"Starter"? Is this a free unit??

Infected
Oct 17, 2012

Salt Incarnate

In the sense of a unit to reroll for if you were to start at a point when CG Raegan is out.

Ugato
Apr 9, 2009

We're not?

Infected posted:

In the sense of a unit to reroll for if you were to start at a point when CG Raegan is out.

Yeah. Or worth saving for if you’re relatively new. It’ll take some luck because there’s no guarantee on even the step up. He just has so much coverage and is very easy to make into something that can power through content. His TM is one of the more versatile 60% atk materia with a bonus 50% lb generation. And his 7* is the same tier as DV, Ayaka, CG Fina, Kunshira, CG Nichol and Sephiroth.

Ugato fucked around with this message at 04:26 on Apr 22, 2018

Bob NewSCART
Feb 1, 2012

Outstanding afternoon. "I've often said there's nothing better for the inside of a man than the outside of a horse."

NinjaDebugger posted:

This raid is so easy it's not likely, but if any noobs need a carry, hit me up, I have a noctis up who can solo elt garuda.

I could use this, none of my friends have soloers up right now it doesn’t look like.

You guys mind taking a look at the dudes I have available to me and see what kinda team I can put together? I have a few ideas but I have a pretty decent variety and none of them stick out too much further than the others.

E: is it worth pulling on this “batch 1” banner at all?

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

Bob NewSCART posted:

I could use this, none of my friends have soloers up right now it doesn’t look like.

You guys mind taking a look at the dudes I have available to me and see what kinda team I can put together? I have a few ideas but I have a pretty decent variety and none of them stick out too much further than the others.

Post your base 5* units.

I wouldn't pull on either of the Batch banners.

Interesting, we're getting a DQXI collab but they didn't announce a banner just a daily slime unit and some other free stuff. I wonder if we'll see a full collab announcement on Tuesday.

PaybackJack fucked around with this message at 11:43 on Apr 22, 2018

Dana Crysalis
Jun 27, 2007
the title-less

PaybackJack posted:

Post your base 5* units.

I wouldn't pull on either of the Batch banners.

Interesting, we're getting a DQXI collab but they didn't announce a banner just a daily slime unit and some other free stuff. I wonder if we'll see a full collab announcement on Tuesday.

C'moooooon Liquid Metal Slime. I need me my over 1800 Defense unit.

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

Bob NewSCART posted:

Hit me up, I'm in the spreadsheet, and I'm pretty sure I have slots available.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

With Fry being as strong as she is right now, I'm considering skipping Sephs banner and instead going straight to Reagan since he synergizes better with her.

Ugato
Apr 9, 2009

We're not?

Cao Ni Ma posted:

With Fry being as strong as she is right now, I'm considering skipping Sephs banner and instead going straight to Reagan since he synergizes better with her.

I might still go for Seph but this is very much a consideration now. They definitely have a track record now of making the GEs into powerhouses. I imagine her 7* will probably be just as good.

pezzie
Apr 11, 2003

everytime someone says a seasonal anime is GOAT

Just watch the best anime ever
If they give us the same step up banner as JP got, there's no way in hell I'm skipping Seph's banner.

I'm almost up to 50k laps, I'm definitely doing 2 rounds on that banner.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Ugato posted:

I might still go for Seph but this is very much a consideration now. They definitely have a track record now of making the GEs into powerhouses. I imagine her 7* will probably be just as good.

They need to make her 7* work differently. Even if she gets W-Attack I can't see hybrid damage being viable in the 7* meta unless they make her 7* passive give a huge multiplier buff to her skills, otherwise she's not going to come close to the 2k atk/mag monsters people can make.

Ugato
Apr 9, 2009

We're not?

Evil Fluffy posted:

They need to make her 7* work differently. Even if she gets W-Attack I can't see hybrid damage being viable in the 7* meta unless they make her 7* passive give a huge multiplier buff to her skills, otherwise she's not going to come close to the 2k atk/mag monsters people can make.

On-demand 10x with built in 75% imperil is exactly this. Maybe it’s going to be some stupidly large number to overcome the penalties of hybrid damage, but they’ve very clearly demonstrated they don’t mind making GEs top of the pile and they’re successful so far.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Evil Fluffy posted:

Funnily enough, Fry "Fixed" the hybrid problem when she initially came out. If you make her base stats high enough and her modifiers insane then she wont have any scaling issues. This still applies right now just even more so. With a 10x attack, even with damage effectively split in half do to the stat distributions, she still has a higher modifier than any DR character in the game right now. Add a 75% imperil built into it and she's stronger in terms of raw damage than Seph and CG Reagan characters that are still a few months away.

You can do a carbon copy of the default template improvements for this type of character 7* and she'll end up being good. Whether or not Gumi goes the extra mile is up in the air, but I'd like to believe that they will given every other GE character released or enhanced recently.

Bob NewSCART
Feb 1, 2012

Outstanding afternoon. "I've often said there's nothing better for the inside of a man than the outside of a horse."

Is there different drop rates for materials depending on what you run?

Also I am at material cap and have no idea if any of this stuff is worth keeping or not

Armitage
Aug 16, 2005

"Mathman's not here." "Oh? Where is he?" "He's in the Mathroom."
So the boss for the story event's extra stage 2-5.. to be honest I probably made the Tomb Raider extra boss battle harder than it needed to be, but nothing is working against the boss for this event. I can't seem to OHKO him, if I leave him alive he kills everyone with flash grenade spam. I can't S/L it either to get a favorable roll in it's attacks.

Armitage fucked around with this message at 12:09 on Apr 23, 2018

PDQ Law
Aug 4, 2011

Bob NewSCART posted:

I switched my friend unit to the Noctis I'm using. He is not 100% guaranteed on auto-attack because it's possible for Garuda to do 3 magic attacks in a turn, and unless his LB is active there's a good chance Noctis will be killed by that. I recommend you bring a team that dies in the first 1-2 turns, otherwise they might get the LB gems instead of Noctis. If you're actively playing, I suggest alternating between using Link and his LB to be safe.

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

PDQ Law posted:

I switched my friend unit to the Noctis I'm using. He is not 100% guaranteed on auto-attack because it's possible for Garuda to do 3 magic attacks in a turn, and unless his LB is active there's a good chance Noctis will be killed by that. I recommend you bring a team that dies in the first 1-2 turns, otherwise they might get the LB gems instead of Noctis. If you're actively playing, I suggest alternating between using Link and his LB to be safe.

If you have the stuff, you can make him significantly more able to take the hits by rolling with a spear instead of whatever you're using (Kiyomori?) for the +30% SPR.

Bob NewSCART
Feb 1, 2012

Okay seriously what is all this stuff. This is the first time I’ve looked through my materials menu and I need to get rid of a bunch of stuff to make space but... I don’t know what to get rid of

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

Bob NewSCART posted:

Okay seriously what is all this stuff. This is the first time I’ve looked through my materials menu and I need to get rid of a bunch of stuff to make space but... I don’t know what to get rid of

Are you running the Trust Macro?

Basically you won't really need more than a full stack of anything, so you can sell everything that you have more than a full stack of. You probably will want to go check the Raid materials from the Tomb Raider raid so you know which things come from that raid; those things are safe to sell because they'll never be back again and you've probably already crafted all the gear you'd want from it.

PaybackJack fucked around with this message at 13:45 on Apr 23, 2018

PDQ Law
Aug 4, 2011

NinjaDebugger posted:

If you have the stuff, you can make him significantly more able to take the hits by rolling with a spear instead of whatever you're using (Kiyomori?) for the +30% SPR.

I have mine with Rising Sun (which gives mag/spr) + Bowie knife but I'm still taking 1.8-2K per magic hit without buffs, so if 3 come on a non-LB turn it's game over. My esper is Sylphid for the bird killer, I'm thinking of switching to Bahamut for the SPR.

Edit: Bahamut didn't solve it for me, so I'm trying Bowie knife + Twin Lance to increase LB crystal generation.

PDQ Law fucked around with this message at 01:51 on Apr 24, 2018

Scrublord Prime
Nov 27, 2007

Bob NewSCART posted:

Materials can be broken up into groups:

Elemental crysts / Crafting mats / Raid crafting mats / Ability crysts / Awakening mats / 6* awakening mats / raid awakening mats (FF14 and Ariana Grande only I think?)

The regular crysts are expendable, you can just set your friend gift to that and wait a day or two if you need them. Megacrysts aren't expendable in that way and I'd suggest keeping them. Regular crafting mats you get piles of like Life Orbs and Thickened Hides but you can also use them to craft for the crafting trophies. Potions and Leather Whips are good for that. Sell excess stacks of most of these, the stuff you don't want to sell (Chromatic Ooze, Elemental Tears, Gold Ore) you probably won't have stacks of. Lumber and Copper Ore are generally exploration-only mats but you won't need them either. I think Shirukens are 1 Copper Ore too for crafting poo poo for the trophy. For raid crafting materials look up what raid they're from and craft/sell them. I think the FF15 raid mats are at least labeled as such. You can sell most awakening mat stacks. Beast Meat and Pearls of Wisdom can be bought from stores if you're desperate. Most aren't that hard to get except Sacred/Holy Crystals. Esper Shards are only used for FP unit awakening too.

Don't sell 6* awakening mats unless you got stacks of Divine Crystals or something, don't sell ability crysts too. It is worth investing in your material cap some though, if you do run the macro overnight or otherwise can't babysit it you don't want it hitting the materials cap. I've got 215 and it runs well, but I don't check my raid crafting mats often either so you can run lower than that.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

Scrublord Prime posted:

Materials can be broken up into groups:

Elemental crysts / Crafting mats / Raid crafting mats / Ability crysts / Awakening mats / 6* awakening mats / raid awakening mats (FF14 and Ariana Grande only I think?)

The regular crysts are expendable, you can just set your friend gift to that and wait a day or two if you need them. Megacrysts aren't expendable in that way and I'd suggest keeping them. Regular crafting mats you get piles of like Life Orbs and Thickened Hides but you can also use them to craft for the crafting trophies. Potions and Leather Whips are good for that. Sell excess stacks of most of these, the stuff you don't want to sell (Chromatic Ooze, Elemental Tears, Gold Ore) you probably won't have stacks of. Lumber and Copper Ore are generally exploration-only mats but you won't need them either. I think Shirukens are 1 Copper Ore too for crafting poo poo for the trophy. For raid crafting materials look up what raid they're from and craft/sell them. I think the FF15 raid mats are at least labeled as such. You can sell most awakening mat stacks. Beast Meat and Pearls of Wisdom can be bought from stores if you're desperate. Most aren't that hard to get except Sacred/Holy Crystals. Esper Shards are only used for FP unit awakening too.

Don't sell 6* awakening mats unless you got stacks of Divine Crystals or something, don't sell ability crysts too. It is worth investing in your material cap some though, if you do run the macro overnight or otherwise can't babysit it you don't want it hitting the materials cap. I've got 215 and it runs well, but I don't check my raid crafting mats often either so you can run lower than that.

Came to post this.

Ugato
Apr 9, 2009

We're not?
I’ve been playing for almost a year and the idea of selling 6* awakening mats is still insane to me.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

So is Extra Stage 2 actually just a trap for cryst farming? I've run it multiple times and seen gently caress all for giancrysts.

Meanwhile I'm getting 1-2 giancrysts per run of Extra Stage 1. Running my usual team of Cid/Olive/Lara/Lara/Xon. Haven't awakened Xon yet but that shouldn't matter for t4 drops.

Ugato posted:

I’ve been playing for almost a year and the idea of selling 6* awakening mats is still insane to me.

I've got over 200 of some 6* mats. I usually sell off extras because 199 of each is plenty. I could evolve a dozen random units (including TTerra #2 since i'll need her for 7* fodder) but :effort:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hagie
Apr 6, 2004

All sensitivity has long ago atrophied

Evil Fluffy posted:

So is Extra Stage 2 actually just a trap for cryst farming? I've run it multiple times and seen gently caress all for giancrysts.

Meanwhile I'm getting 1-2 giancrysts per run of Extra Stage 1. Running my usual team of Cid/Olive/Lara/Lara/Xon. Haven't awakened Xon yet but that shouldn't matter for t4 drops.

I've got over 200 of some 6* mats. I usually sell off extras because 199 of each is plenty. I could evolve a dozen random units (including TTerra #2 since i'll need her for 7* fodder) but :effort:

I constantly get Giancrysts running a Lara + Cape and/or with a Xon...I just never get the crysts I am looking for.

• Locked thread