Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
How much money do you spend on this game?
This poll is closed.
Thar she blows ($300/mo.) 9 5.52%
We got our hooks in 'em ($100-$300/mo.) 11 6.75%
They's taking the bait! ($20-100/mo.) 25 15.34%
Toss 'em back in the sea. (F2P - $20/mo.) 118 72.39%
Total: 163 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
werdnam
Feb 16, 2011
The scientist does not study nature because it is useful to do so. He studies it because he takes pleasure in it, and he takes pleasure in it because it is beautiful. If nature were not beautiful it would not be worth knowing, and life would not be worth living. -- Henri Poincare
I've had terrible luck with 10+1s lately, but in the past two days I got Roy, Christine, and William #2 out of a handful of 4*and regular tickets, so I'm pretty happy with that.

What TMRs should I be looking for to gear up Christine? She's my first top tier (?) magic damage dealer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

werdnam
Feb 16, 2011
The scientist does not study nature because it is useful to do so. He studies it because he takes pleasure in it, and he takes pleasure in it because it is beautiful. If nature were not beautiful it would not be worth knowing, and life would not be worth living. -- Henri Poincare

PaybackJack posted:

First phase I timed it on the 1st, 5th, 9th, and 13th rounds and 16th rounds. I made sure to always kill the adds on the 4th turn to turn off devour, and would then use my next action to reapply the MA, which is a little counter intuitive since you would think you'd want to be using that round to deal damage to Malboro but by only doing one phase of damage to him, it was easy to control his HP descent and got him to exactly 50% on turn 13. I used it again on turn 16 just to buy a turn so I wouldn't run right into Tentacles Rampage. Once I went below 50% on turn 17, I killed the adds on 18, which again turned off devour and setup to kill them again on 20, and actually had to do a single chaos wave on 19 just to ensure I wiped everyone on 20. In previous runs I'd been using Rikku and decided to run Roy since I figured that with Mystea tanking I could get by on Ayaka's reraise. Roy providing the break to the adds made them very easy to 2 shot; was doing like 80% damage to them.

I don't have Ayaka or T. Terra, but I do have Roy and Christine. Do you think I have a chance with a party of Cagnazzo, Roy, Mystea, Christine, friend Christine, and a healer? No Tillith, but I have Yshtola and Refia and Luka (enhanced) with a Dualcast to spare if it helps.

werdnam
Feb 16, 2011
4* ticket was Gladiolus #2, 5* ticket was Delita. Crap.

werdnam
Feb 16, 2011
I got Kaliva and Barusa already, so I was really hesitant to even half-pull on this banner. Did it anyway today.

gently caress Toby. Never Again.

werdnam
Feb 16, 2011

Office Thug posted:

The 90 NRG route ~ Best spot if you cn handle it with enough Xons
5 Xons + Cape --> one T4 every 344 NRG
4 Xons + Cape --> one T4 every 346 NRG
3 Xons + Cape --> one T4 every 396 NRG
2 Xons + Cape --> one T4 every 692 NRG

This is really depressing, and I even have 3 Xons and the cape (although only 2 of them are level 88 right now).

werdnam
Feb 16, 2011

Mustached Demon posted:

Yeah dual cast tornado has been great for various story line missions that require limit breaks or espers. Plus, you know, trivializing the content.

Yeah, unless you kill the thing before you can fill the especially gauge. #sixstarproblems

werdnam
Feb 16, 2011

rabidsquid posted:

its supposed to have drastically higher appearance rates for bonus units, although the math is going to end up being that running exactly 275% on intermediate while also taking demon rain has the best energy to drop ratio

What does Demon Rain have to do with it? Or did I miss a joke?

So far my limited experience has been that ELT pays off way better because I can run it with four (or five, with a friend) bonus units. I haven't figured out how, or don't have the right units, to breeze through LGD like that.

werdnam
Feb 16, 2011

Khisanth Magus posted:

Apparently you are getting all my bonus monsters, because I've done about that many runs with 0 bonus monsters.

Yeah, maybe I just haven't figured out easy mode for LGD, but so far ELT has a better award-to-effort ratio for me so far. I think I'll just cruise ELT.

werdnam
Feb 16, 2011
LGD Farm Quest continues: Thanks to a tip from a Reddit thread, I now have a 2B that can solo carry the last boss (100% evasion, 100% fire resist, sleep immunity). The bad news is she takes 30+ turns to kill it. I haven't yet decided if it's worth it.

werdnam
Feb 16, 2011
Lord help me, I'm going to have a hard time not burning all my tickets chasing Ayaka again.

werdnam
Feb 16, 2011
Well, Reset Bird earned his name today. The new app has a bug where two resets in a row will act like a 100-lapis continue, reviving all units with full LB and a esper gauges. As long as one unit survives the pre-emptive strike, you can use this trick to summon Ifrit and pass the trial with all missions.

The Reddit thread on the new update (bugs and features) has the details. This works in other contexts of course, but I've only had time to use it on the bird. You could probably use it to cheese all the trials if you can do it before Gumi fixes it.

werdnam
Feb 16, 2011

CAPT. Rainbowbeard posted:

It just lasers and murdered everyone still.

I had to try twice to get one party member to survive. So there's still some RNG.

werdnam
Feb 16, 2011

Chasiu posted:

Has anyone else's unit sorting all out of order? I have my sorted by Unit name and the bottom of my list is now:

Zyrus
Vanille
Vaan
Veritas of the Earth
Ovelia
Cloud of Darkness (I have another one that is sorted properly by C)
Silvia
King Giott
Veritas of Water
Seabreeze Dark Fina
Veritas of the Heavens
Summer Lid
Beach Time Fina
Magitek Armor Terra

Doesn't seem to be any logic to the sorting either

That's one of the new bugs. Sorting alphabetically apparently isn't using localized names.

werdnam
Feb 16, 2011
Got Fryevia on my daily today! She's still cool and good, right?

Can't get her Needle yet, though, until they fix the moogle bug. Gumi!

werdnam
Feb 16, 2011

Cobalt60 posted:

On a dumber note, I just spent a minute checking which 5% trust moogle I should buy from the current event. At 10k currency, I wanted to be sure I only got useful ones. Was ready to roll when I realized I counted a zero too few

Yeah, those 100K moogles are a ridiculously bad deal.

werdnam
Feb 16, 2011

Cobalt60 posted:

dog tongue is blue

TM should be a cozy blanket that warms it to a nice healthy pink

Chows have blue tongues.

werdnam
Feb 16, 2011
Any bets on how much the cash summon will cost? 5000 lapis is about $30, so given Gumi's recent track record, I'm betting $40.

werdnam
Feb 16, 2011
My pulls today were trash and Yan #11. Doggo was not meant to be.

werdnam
Feb 16, 2011
I just want to give props to whoever put up the 100% dodge Warrior of Light as their friend unit for the trial. I like your style.

werdnam
Feb 16, 2011
10+1 got me Knight Delita and Aileen, both my first. Can't complain.

werdnam
Feb 16, 2011

PaybackJack posted:

edit: I guess they do improve the boards as well.

edit2: Apparently there have been two Arena updates in JP, and the more recent increased the board prizes.

Insert standard "why do they even wait to bring QoL improvements to GL" complaint.

(And standard "GL is a different game!" snark.)

werdnam
Feb 16, 2011
It's cheesy, but using Garnet (EVO Mag+ and Esper battery), I. Nichol (cover tank redirect to ...), 100% Dodge Soleil (for buffs and breaks), Ilias (for infinite MP), 2B and friend 2B (for DPS) to kill Aranea sure is a lot of fun. I don't know how you're supposed to get her without some sort of dodge cheese; she has a hell of a lot of DEF and SPR.

Now to figure out how to kill Leviathan 2*...

werdnam
Feb 16, 2011
I've been insanely lucky on pulls the last couple weeks: Aileen #1, Fryevia #2, and today my freebie was Ayaka #1. Guess I should go buy a lottery ticket.

werdnam
Feb 16, 2011
I have now been lucky enough to pull Ayaka. I also have a near-BiS Wilhelm, a Basch, and a near-BiS 2B.

Surprisingly, I also just pulled Explorer Aileen to go with my Aileen. To tackle the trials (Aigaion, Malboro, Bloody Moon, the 10-mans), would I be better off sticking with 2B and a friend for DPS or investing into the Aileens?

I also have Christine, if chaining with a friend T.Terra would be better.

werdnam
Feb 16, 2011
I swear the game is trolling me. I spent my stash of about 60 tickets on the banner and for five rainbows (which I realize is very lucky): Nyx #3, Ramza (not bad, but I already have two Roys), and Dark Fina #3 among them.

Now, the other two were my first T Terra and O Knight, and T.Terra will do very well with my Christine, so I'm not complaining. But if I hadn't pulled Ayaka on a daily a couple weeks ago I would be a little salty.

Boy howdy I need crysts and cactuars now.

werdnam
Feb 16, 2011
If it were me, I would stop there with CG Fina. The number of insane healers is much smaller than the number of good DPS units, and I was missing a top tier healer for a loooong time after I had good damage dealers. Plus CG Fina can be a damage dealer.

werdnam
Feb 16, 2011

Bob NewSCART posted:

Two more questions actually; I don’t know if I just missed it or not but I didn’t see an answer to my earlier question about mana batteries and what that’s all about.

Also is there some reason people still reroll an account or whatever after they’ve already rolled their poo poo up? I can’t tell if all of the people and discussion about it is just for beginners or not.

You can't transfer anything between accounts, but o guess some people like having multiples. I honestly couldn't care less. One soulless grindfest is enough for me.

werdnam
Feb 16, 2011

Bob NewSCART posted:

Got it figured out. Thanks man. What do I do with units I don’t have any need for at all? Like ones that cap out at 4 stars? Just sell them or what?

You collect them, level, and awaken them so that you can have a full Unit Guide, of course!

werdnam
Feb 16, 2011

Khisanth Magus posted:

I really disagree with holding on to units with crap TMRs you will never use. They are a waste of unit space in order to get something that will either be a waste of equipment or materia space that you will never use. Think if it this way: each pointless unit you hold on to costs you 20 lapis in the end, because you will run out of unit space and need to expand. Is getting a Throw or Thundaga blade or Barrage worth 20 lapis to you?

Intellectually, I know you're right. But that hasn't stopped me yet from collecting everything I can. 600 unit slots, 200 materia slots, 180 or so equipment slots ... But part of it is just setting my own goals in this silly F2P game and deciding that the collecting part is fun.

werdnam
Feb 16, 2011

Skyridge posted:

Holy gently caress, rainbow on daily half pull.

Me too!

... Lotus Mage Fina.

drat, I feel lucky.

werdnam
Feb 16, 2011

Cartoon Man posted:

Take my friend unit. I freed up some slots if you need to send an invite.

:golfclap:

werdnam
Feb 16, 2011
Now that I've farmed up some good TMRs and have some top-tier units kitted out, I've been working through some of the tougher trials.

With a BiS Wilhelm to eat the KO attack, and a pair of 2Bs (one mine, one a friends), Aigaion was actually kind of a chump. Won on my first attempt with all achievements.

Malboro was a different story. Failed on five or six tries until I ultimately landed on a team of Wilhelm, Basch, CG Fina, Roy (swapped in for Christine as I was having survivability and MP issues, not DPS issues), T. Terra and friend T. Terra. MVP was Basch -- he could soak magic damage, break DEF/SPR for all the Malboros, and with the Ankh of the Goddess he could cast Reraise on himself on free turns (really useful when Fina's LB wasn't up and when she needed to Prime Heal to get rid of ailments from Bad Breath). Basch even carried the team through a rough patch when Wilhelm got Devoured and subsequently Berserked. Still failed several times because that stupid trial is so dependent on timing. Oh, you accidentally did slightly different damage to the Malboros and killed only one? hosed. Oh, you miscalculated and didn't kill the Malboros on the Devour turn? hosed. Oh, you forgot to Dispel the Crazy Mad buffs? hosed.

So I was so happy when everything finally came together and I cued up Basch's LB, Fina's LB, and a T. Terra chain to kill them all. Oh, what's that? No "LB Kill achievement"? Dammit. I did damage from two different LBs on the kill turn, including part of the killing chain (or at least that's what I thought). Gumi, why you do this to us?

I can't decide whether to go back in to get that stupid achievement or skip it for now and kill the Bloody Moon.

Edit: Well, Bloody Moon was bloody easy with that team. Geared up T Terra with M Spirit Killers, and with CG Fina casting Reraise on everyone and Wilhelm and Basch tanking, I was basically unkillable.

werdnam fucked around with this message at 01:46 on Apr 4, 2018

werdnam
Feb 16, 2011
I think my A Team and supporting cast might be a bit overtuned. In the last week I've completed Aigaion, Malboro, Moose, Sheratan, Elnath, 3* Siren and 3* Ifrit. Most of those took only one try, although I still have to go back and get the magic kill missions Malboro and Elnath.

Not sure what to TMR farm any more, I don't have any content left to aim for!

werdnam
Feb 16, 2011
100% Galuf

werdnam
Feb 16, 2011
I might be able to help if you're just looking for a LGD capable carry unit and don't need it to be a bonus. If you can provide the chains and a method to escape the first mobs, I can provide a max EVO magic Garnet with Bahamut that call kill the bosses with a capped chain.

Edit: well, I just pulled Seymour so once I buy some cactuars I might be able to put up a bonus unit to do this. But Garnet has a spell to fill the evo gauge and Seymour doesn't.

werdnam fucked around with this message at 22:55 on Apr 10, 2018

werdnam
Feb 16, 2011
With 40 5* pulls since last Easter, I'm 7* ready with: Aileen, Dark Fina, DK Cecil, Elfreeda, Fryevia, Gladiolus, Lightning, Nyx, Roy, Wilhelm, and Zargabaath. Seems like an interesting mix. I'm looking forward to it.

Edit: guess I need to start bankrolling 30M gil.

werdnam
Feb 16, 2011

Policenaut posted:

Hey so I was reading Japanese game news and I saw that Xenogears is coming to Brave Exvius and that was the last straw I needed to finally get into this. I've never played Brave Frontier so I don't have that to go from but what would you guys say this is like compared to SE's other FF mobile gacha thing Dissidia Opera Omnia? I've read the OP so I've got a general idea but is there a big co-op push like that game or is it mostly solo?

Good points so far. I'll add that while I think that DFFOO appears more generous, it's also true that you have to randomly draw four copies of a weapon to max it out. In FFBE, you only need one copy of a unit (for now) to make good use of it. Also, I think the grind in DFFOO is way more time-consuming and boring than the equivalent in FFBE. And I hate having to convince random people to team up with me to earn all the rewards.

I'm still playing DFFOO, but I like FFBE a lot more.

werdnam
Feb 16, 2011

victrix posted:

You only need one weapon, you can melt down others and use the result to upgrade any weapon, or (eventually) buy a currency item to upgrade them.

Yes, but don't you have to meet like 12 weapons to upgrade one to max?

quote:

The mp is dumb yes. I solved that by not playing it :v:

True, but as far as I can tell that means you miss out on the character specific armors.

werdnam
Feb 16, 2011
Need seven more Black giancrysts for FFB +2 on my Fryevia. :(

Ran Extra Stage 1 twice. Got Healing and White giancrysts. :( :(

Edit: re Xon: he really turned out to be a handy little versatile unit, didn't he?

werdnam fucked around with this message at 00:56 on Apr 20, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

werdnam
Feb 16, 2011
Black Giancryst quest continues. I'm now 0 for 5 giancrysts pulled in Extra Stage 1. Anyone have the link to the depressing math about how often one should expect to run the Chamber stages to draw giancrysts? I'm now regretting not farming Gagazet for 90000 more MK currency to buy 3 black giancrysts. Oh Gumi, why do you have to make this so ridiculously hard?

• Locked thread